Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 382472 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (The Source, April 28, 2017)
« Reply #1680 on: May 05, 2017, 08:11:28 AM »
In my opinion, this one is much better. TTOE isn't very memorable to me, I'm affraid.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1681 on: May 05, 2017, 08:33:23 AM »
Still haven't listened to it. How does it compare to THE-01? Theory of Everything was quite disappointing.
I also found Theory of Everything a little disappointing, and personally I find The Source a fair bit stronger. Maybe not quite THE (which I think is Arjen's best) but more on a par with 01, though slightly less weak lyrically!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1682 on: May 05, 2017, 08:36:48 AM »
Very random comment but since the album was mentioned... do you know how to type the exact title of 01011001? I've learnt, they're four pairs of 01, but the second to last is reversed. 01 - 01 - 10 - 01. Easier to remember that way.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1683 on: May 05, 2017, 08:37:50 AM »
Very random comment but since the album was mentioned... do you know how to type the exact title of 01011001? I've learnt, they're four pairs of 01, but the second to last is reversed. 01 - 01 - 10 - 01. Easier to remember that way.

I just think "Y" and then convert it to binary.

You aren't fluent?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1684 on: May 05, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »
Still haven't listened to it. How does it compare to THE-01? Theory of Everything was quite disappointing.
I also found Theory of Everything a little disappointing, and personally I find The Source a fair bit stronger. Maybe not quite THE (which I think is Arjen's best) but more on a par with 01, though slightly less weak lyrically!

Call me crazy, but I remember TToE being pretty well praised around here and being liked better than 01. But here today it looks like that's flopped around. :lol
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1685 on: May 05, 2017, 08:41:04 AM »
For what it's worth, I still love TTOE, it's my second favourite Ayreon album. But you know that already.

I also still haven't received my copy of The Source. :facepalm:

Oh, that's a good question. I just split it into three sequences, like 01 - 011 - 001.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1686 on: May 05, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »
For what it's worth, I still love TTOE, it's my second favourite Ayreon album. But you know that already.

Oh, that's a good question. I just split it into three sequences, like 01 - 011 - 001.

After the snafu at customs I've been waiting for a shipping email and I still haven't even gotten that. Kinda praying that it at least ships today and is waiting for me Monday after RoSfest. But who knows, could be a week or two yet.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1687 on: May 05, 2017, 09:34:33 AM »

After the snafu at customs I've been waiting for a shipping email and I still haven't even gotten that. Kinda praying that it at least ships today and is waiting for me Monday after RoSfest. But who knows, could be a week or two yet.

Same situation here. I want to immerse myself into the story more by reading the actual lyrics from the booklet while looking at the pictures. It helps me envision it in my head how the scenery looks, and reading the lyrics helps me get a good feel for the characters.

As I have the mp3's (which thank god they gave us whom pre-ordered) it only does so much. But I still feel sadness listening to All That Was, because those modern words he uses makes it more personal and as if the Apocalypse was happening today. They decided to shut off all electronic devices, what they say in that song is exactly how people would be.

I'm enjoying it immensely for the concept alone. Arjen did well by talking about a past advanced race much like ours today. Even though it is cliche now, its still a main source of a lot sci-fi for certain reasons alone.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1688 on: May 05, 2017, 01:23:57 PM »
Third listen and this one is growing strong. It reminds me most of 010101010, but clearly has it's own character.

And on the topic of TToE, I love, love love that record. After my initial disappointment with it, I now rank it at number 2 behind THE.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1689 on: May 05, 2017, 01:49:44 PM »
TTOE is still my favorite Ayreon album. THE is second, but TTOE is the only Album I really enjoy from start to finish.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1690 on: May 05, 2017, 10:45:58 PM »

interesting.  I think of it as 010 - 11001
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1691 on: May 06, 2017, 01:08:40 AM »
The three sequences Ev describes is how I do it too.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1692 on: May 06, 2017, 01:36:34 AM »
I just type a random bunch of 0 and 1 and everybody knows what I'm talking about.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1693 on: May 06, 2017, 02:58:44 AM »
I usually call it 0190010010100010110100101 as well.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1694 on: May 06, 2017, 03:15:23 AM »
I just type a random bunch of 0 and 1 and everybody knows what I'm talking about.

:lol :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1695 on: May 06, 2017, 07:54:34 AM »
Third listen and this one is growing strong. It reminds me most of 010101010, but clearly has it's own character.

And on the topic of TToE, I love, love love that record. After my initial disappointment with it, I now rank it at number 2 behind THE.

Are The Source and 0101010110 related>?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1696 on: May 06, 2017, 08:04:09 AM »
Are The Source and 0101010110 related?

Of course they are, just like every album Ayreon has made (except for Actual Fantasy and TTOE).
Squ

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1697 on: May 06, 2017, 08:55:06 AM »
I wouldn't really call THE connected. The ending is more of a nugget than anything else.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1698 on: May 06, 2017, 09:23:01 AM »
TTOE is second for me personally, behind THE. I love that album but it doesn't surprise me it is divisive amongst the fans.

The Source is still a blast to listen btw  :metal

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1699 on: May 06, 2017, 10:02:38 AM »
I wouldn't really call THE connected. The ending is more of a nugget than anything else.

How can it be a nugget? That moment is a major plot changer. It's integral by, that's when you are shown, it was basically the one inside the Dream Sequencer experiencing these various emotions inside 'Me'. Then realizing these emotions again and their feelings.

Also, has anyone else received a shipping confirmation email yet? I haven't and it sucks so much...if say worse than The Astonishing in the way of story and art designs (Astonishing had all the info pretty much on their dedicated site to it so that didn't affect me much).
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1700 on: May 06, 2017, 10:59:09 AM »
It's not that it isn't a part of the plot, but I just don't have the same feeling when I listen to the album like I get with the other Ayreon sci-fi works. It feels way more genuine and I can actually really connect with the emotions displayed by the lyrics. It's one of the only albums ever where I really pay attention to the lyrics (TTOE is another of those albums), I really don't care for the story behind the other albums at all.

So yeah, I guess it was wrong of me to say that it isn't connected, just that I personally see it as a standalone story and would prefer to have it left aside of the general Ayreon sci-fi cheese-fest.  :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1701 on: May 06, 2017, 11:13:40 AM »
It's not that it isn't a part of the plot, but I just don't have the same feeling when I listen to the album like I get with the other Ayreon sci-fi works. It feels way more genuine and I can actually really connect with the emotions displayed by the lyrics. It's one of the only albums ever where I really pay attention to the lyrics (TTOE is another of those albums), I really don't care for the story behind the other albums at all.

So yeah, I guess it was wrong of me to say that it isn't connected, just that I personally see it as a standalone story and would prefer to have it left aside of the general Ayreon sci-fi cheese-fest.  :lol

That's exactly why I enjoy it as well. Plus, it is a "wait a minute" moment at the end. Just because of what you said about connecting with those emotions. Which may be why it's enjoyed more by people.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1702 on: May 06, 2017, 02:11:45 PM »
For me the ending of THE almost feels like "...and it was just a dream" (which is a pretty bad way of ending a story)
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1703 on: May 06, 2017, 02:21:05 PM »
Yeah but that was obvious from the start and kind of the point of the story.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1704 on: May 06, 2017, 02:26:33 PM »
How is it obvious from the start? And why is it the point of the story? THE's plot is definitely amazing as a stand alone story  :P
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1705 on: May 06, 2017, 03:36:18 PM »
How is it obvious from the start? And why is it the point of the story? THE's plot is definitely amazing as a stand alone story  :P

this, if anything that last "big revelation" hurts it

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1706 on: May 06, 2017, 03:56:53 PM »
tbh i'd like confrontation more with a better ending yeah so. it is totally part of the main story to an extent but is totally fine as a standalone too

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1707 on: May 07, 2017, 03:13:46 AM »
I remember an interview with Arjen (probably it's in the bonus DVD of the special edition) where, jokingly, he said that he had to "ruin it at the very last moment" after having told a non sci-fi story.

He probably realizes himself it was maybe not the absolute best idea of his discography, but as someone said above, you can just consider it a little nugget, an after-credit sequence so to speak, that you can just ignore it.

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1708 on: May 07, 2017, 02:17:43 PM »
Ah, I thought you meant about the whole coma thing, not the scifi part. Meh, I didn't care about that at all.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1709 on: May 07, 2017, 06:17:20 PM »
Also, I've played this one and 01010010 etc, back to back and it merges into the latter effortlessly. Really cool.

I just did this as well. Its pretty cool actually.  The Source is a nice prequel to 01. Characters' tones/style from 01 can be heard in those from The Source like Jonas Renske and Tommy Rogers vocals, also Anneke and Simone.

March of The Machines also makes more sense as a lead into Age of Shadows.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1710 on: May 10, 2017, 01:34:22 AM »
So The Source debuted at # 1 in the Top 100 album charts in the Netherlands. This is a first for Ayreon, beating out Ed Sheeran.

It prompted a local newspaper to headline: 'Hermit concquers the World!'  :biggrin: Arjen's probably already sweating all the interviews and performances he'll have to do....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1711 on: May 10, 2017, 03:28:05 AM »
That's awesome, well deserved! About time he gets some attention outside the metal community. How well known is he in Netherlands btw?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1712 on: May 10, 2017, 03:38:13 AM »
He is moderately known in this country, I'd say, only the specific 'alternative/progressive' rock/metal community knows him. I remember him being at the most popular talkshow in the country once,  together with Floor Janssen (or was it Anneke van Giersbergen) and I was pretty much shocked. The level of knowledge about his music with the presenter was shocking, though, as in lacking.

The thing is, he's built such a strong and loyal fanbase during the years that he's able to sell out a live event like the THE theatre experience or the three Ayreon Live gigs through online sales alone.

Whether it will bring his more attention fame with the average music fan is questionable, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chBA1bp6VQE

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1713 on: May 10, 2017, 09:05:02 AM »
Arjen was at DWDD?
Squ

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1714 on: May 10, 2017, 09:20:11 AM »
Arjen was at DWDD?

That's not the right question.

The question is, Arjen was at DWDD and for his one song he did Web of Lies?