Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 382127 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (The Source, April 28, 2017)
« Reply #1645 on: April 28, 2017, 12:22:08 PM »
My copy still hasn't arrived, and our local record store also didn't have it, they said that because Arjen switched to Mascot it'd take at least a month for them to get it. :facepalm:

I'm going to avoid this thread until my copy arrives.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1646 on: April 28, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »
Thank US customs for the delay.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1647 on: April 28, 2017, 03:56:48 PM »
I don't think that's something that Ruslan can blame.   :lol

Then again, maybe he can.  :dunno:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1648 on: April 28, 2017, 04:18:30 PM »
Saw it at the store so I picked it up. My first Ayreon album!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1649 on: April 28, 2017, 04:19:22 PM »
welcome to the new dimension

welcome to reality, be ready for the pain

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1650 on: April 28, 2017, 06:31:25 PM »
I got an e-mail too (I'm in the US) but my e-mail said my shipment is delayed because they ran out of stock of the vinyl.  Which concerns me b/c I didn't order the vinyl.

I guess we'll see what happens!!!  Awesome album, btw!  Definitely will probably be in my top 3 Ayreon along with 01011001 and THE.

LOOOOVEE the guitar solo on The Dream Dissolves!  One of my favorite parts of the albums.  And Aquatic Race is just pure awesomeness.  This is right up there with THE in terms of I love all the singers so much.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1651 on: April 29, 2017, 06:58:39 AM »
Got my copy today and i'm listening right now. I got the Artbook version and it's nice looking at the book while listening, pretty amazing artwork and layout.

One thing that is a bit annoying is I can't find any info on which song the instrumentals play their respective solo on unless i'm blind. I'm sure I can find it online but it's a bit annoying given how detailed the artbook is and yet they ignore a detail like that.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1652 on: April 30, 2017, 04:08:27 AM »
Have been listening to it for a couple of days now, I think it's great! I will post my full thoughts when the album has sunken a bit more, highlights so far are Into the Ocean, Run Apocalypse Run (somewhat of a vocal version of Chaos), Deathcry of a Race, and Aquatic Race. Most of my highlights are on the second disc, but I prefer the first disc. In fact, I can see disc one going down as one of my favourite discs Arjen has ever produced, but it is obviously too early to say.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #1653 on: May 01, 2017, 01:36:33 AM »
I'm still waiting for my copy here in the UK. Pre-ordered it as soon as they went up with Mascot and it was sent out on the 13th so I have a bad feeling that Royal Mail have cocked it up. :(

It's really good to see all the positive reviews for it though, I am looking forward to hearing it when I get it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1654 on: May 02, 2017, 05:38:54 AM »
Really fun album, although a tad formulaic, even for Ayreon's standards. He's basically repeating his same success formula again, but it works damn good.

Highlights so far (I'm currently still on my firts listen, so I haven't even heard everything):
- Marcel Coenen's guitar solo on The Dream Dissolves: holy shit!!
- Everybody Dies; what a fun track :)
- Zaher Zorgati singing on Deathcry of a Race: basically what prompted me to write this post. Amazing stuff.

Edit 1: Guthrie Govan's guitar solo  :hefdaddy

Edit 2: last three songs are clearly the weakest on first listen and the ending is pretty terrible :')

All in all, nice album, well done mister Lucassen :tup even though it sounds (very) similar to 01011001 and The Theory of Everything.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:05:38 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1655 on: May 02, 2017, 07:18:03 AM »
I don't know, I think Theory of Everything is very different in terms of pacing, structure, and vocal melodies. Obviously it has many trademark Lucassen sounds and melodies, like nearly all of his albums beyond the first couple. I never understood the "this is the same old stuff" criticism on TTOE album, as to me there is barely anything that hits that sweetspot between a musical and rock/prog/metal album and the smaller cast of vocalists with very distinct voiced worked really well for that one.

This album does have a lot in common with 01011001, I agree. But the tone of many songs is quite different to make it sound distinct enough from that one (as well as the balance in types of vocals). A lot of the songs have this bright, upbeat quality to it (Everybody Dies, Run Apocalypse Run, and Planet Y is Alive in particular) and there are enough fresh elements in it that mix up the music. I like what Mike Mills brings in particular.

The ending is fine, it is a nice atmospheric leadup to I assume Age of Shadows from 01011001. I also really like Journey of Forever. The final actual song (technically the second part following Journey of Forever), however, could use a bit more oomph in it's latter part, it is not as a epic as it could've been and kind of feels like a tamer version of Day 20: Confrontation to me. Floor's bit is a nice finisher but I feel the vocals and music prior to it could be way more epic. And I think the place of The Source Will Flow breaks up the momentum of Chronicle 4: The Rebirth a bit too much. Musically I like every song in that part, but it feels a bit tame compared to what came before it and doesn't feel like a climax.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1656 on: May 02, 2017, 07:24:58 AM »
Into the Ocean is a great dark horse song here.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1657 on: May 02, 2017, 07:37:50 AM »
Also, for those interested Arjen has uploaded the entire album on youtube himself, here is the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDp_PtuyOwCa_N556UPC1-Eycg4LJohQf

Into the Ocean is a great dark horse song here.

Agreed! It is one of my highlights.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1658 on: May 02, 2017, 08:01:59 AM »
I agree with Rich in that it is highly formulaic.  It's odd, while it doesn't sound samey, it does steal a LOT from Star One - the crunchy/rhythm guitar tones and some of the riffs in particular.  And I'm not saying that is a bad thing, because those two Star One albums are Top 10 material (of all-time) for my tastes.

So, while DT went in a completely new and innovative direction with TA, Arjen doesn't ... and I (by miles) enjoy The Source much more.  Simililtude of a Dream was the same ... highly repetitive (hell, he could've called it Snow II), but I loved it.

The great thing about this is that there are (at least from what I can tell with 2 listens), not many cringe-worthy lyrics that plagued 01011001.  I don't have my earbook yet, so haven't followed the lyrics yet.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1659 on: May 02, 2017, 08:30:41 AM »
No, I think Lori has kept a tight eye on the cringy lyrics this time around...

Also, I've played this one and 01010010 etc, back to back and it merges into the latter effortlessly. Really cool.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1660 on: May 02, 2017, 09:24:34 AM »
I'm agreeing with what is said above, it is a little Ayreon by the numbers, but it's still a very solid and enjoyable album.

Doom, Gloom, the world goes Boom!  :biggrin:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1661 on: May 02, 2017, 09:51:47 AM »
Enjoyed my first listen, I thought it was very good. No more "by-the-numbers" than arguably anything else, but I definitely found it more varied and enjoyable than TTOE.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1662 on: May 02, 2017, 10:03:51 AM »

Doom, Gloom, the world goes Boom!  :biggrin:

Touché ! Ouch!  ;D

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1663 on: May 02, 2017, 10:49:28 AM »
The only lyrics on the album that bother me every time is in Everybody Dies. Not for the words really, but just how it comes off in the song, which is still one of my very favorites.

No food supplies, no water supplies
No power supplies, no other supplies
No compromise, just say your goodbyes

The other supplies bit just seems excessive and repetitive. I would have liked to see "no compromise" moved up to being the second half of the second line, giving "just say your goodbyes" time for a longer vocal melody leading into "EVERYBODY DIES!" Would have rolled better and been more epic, I think.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1664 on: May 02, 2017, 10:51:13 AM »
Still digesting the album, but it's not grabbing me yet.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1665 on: May 02, 2017, 05:13:31 PM »
Personally I love the ending.  I'm so used to Neal Morse where the ending is always some erupting volcano of epicness, and I think this is done really well without having that.  The last two tracks are awesome and engaging.

There's really no tracks that I "don't" like.  The closest would be Run Apocalypse Run, for whatever reason, that is my least favorite on the album, although it's good enough that I will likely never skip it.

Arjen hit it out of the park with this album, that's for sure.  Not positive if Ayreon was ever a top 3 band for me (it's always been top ten for sure), but ever since they released The Day That the World Breaks Down (late January?), I have been listening to Ayreon almost non-stop.  Currently favorite artist.

Can't wait for my copy to show up in the mail, looking forward to wearing my shirt to work (and getting the opportunity to explain what it's for), and watching the making of DVD.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1666 on: May 03, 2017, 02:25:56 AM »
I also like the ending. It's nice and creepy and indeed a nice change to 'the vulcano' endings we've gotten used to. The rockers on this one really hit hard, they make me want to break out the older Migrator-stuff albums.

OMG, he did it again!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1667 on: May 03, 2017, 06:19:48 AM »
Ending is growing on me.

Lyrics in Everybody Dies don't bother me because the tone of the song itself is almost comedic, it fits. This album doesn't have a Connect the Dots or Web of Lies in that aspect (sidenote, I didn't mind Marco's "so much cooolerr" lines in TTOE because his part is a teenager).

I agree with Rich in that it is highly formulaic.  It's odd, while it doesn't sound samey, it does steal a LOT from Star One - the crunchy/rhythm guitar tones and some of the riffs in particular.  And I'm not saying that is a bad thing, because those two Star One albums are Top 10 material (of all-time) for my tastes.

So, while DT went in a completely new and innovative direction with TA, Arjen doesn't ... and I (by miles) enjoy The Source much more.  Simililtude of a Dream was the same ... highly repetitive (hell, he could've called it Snow II), but I loved it.

The great thing about this is that there are (at least from what I can tell with 2 listens), not many cringe-worthy lyrics that plagued 01011001.  I don't have my earbook yet, so haven't followed the lyrics yet.

Oh, I agree the album has a lot in common with previous Ayreon and also Star One albums (to my ears, in particular 01, Star One, and Universal Migrator pt 2), I just disagreed it was similar to TTOE overall and think it contains enough fresh musical elements to give the album it's own feel/tone. The album overall is Ayreon trough and trough and has all the elements that make me a fan of Arjen's music in the first place. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1668 on: May 03, 2017, 06:48:43 AM »
The reason I don't mind the commonalities with Arjen's previous works is because it's all over the map of his past. If this was ANOTHER 01 or ANOTHER Star One or ANOTHER TTOE that would be one thing. But in sounding like at times so many different works it ends up with a diversification that makes it special unto itself.

At this point I do not believe The Source will surpass my favorites albums in The Human Equation or Into the Electric Castle. However I consider those both masterpiece albums. It has planted itself right below that as a stellar album I hold beside The Theory of Everything and The Final Experiment for 3rd place in the Ayreon discography.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1669 on: May 03, 2017, 06:53:37 AM »
Arjen over time has developed a very distinct style and everything he does sounds like him. So it's not surprising that this new Ayreon sounds like older Ayreon or any of his other projects. As long as it isn't outright copying of already done parts I don't mind. In fact I know what to expect and Arjen so far has delivered.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1670 on: May 03, 2017, 07:26:50 AM »
It's my first Ayreon album, I've been motivated listening to the first available songs :)

And I like it a lot, not to tears like TA, but albums this great are rare !

The only grey point for me is when the celtic typical melodic riffage falls flat, maybe there is too much of it :)

I'm happy I listened to it
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline home

« Reply #1671 on: May 03, 2017, 08:17:15 AM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1672 on: May 03, 2017, 10:33:16 AM »
The album has a lot of atmosphere, which seems to be what the album is going for. Even though the songs sound happy its really saddening that they're basically leaving all they knew to begin anew. Which is why I like the ending it fits that distraught they all faced. Makes it even messed up for the whole world that were left to die.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1673 on: May 03, 2017, 11:44:36 AM »
I just disagreed it was similar to TTOE overall and think it contains enough fresh musical elements to give the album it's own feel/tone. The album overall is Ayreon trough and trough and has all the elements that make me a fan of Arjen's music in the first place.

Gotchya ... and I agree.

The reason I don't mind the commonalities with Arjen's previous works is because it's all over the map of his past. If this was ANOTHER 01 or ANOTHER Star One or ANOTHER TTOE that would be one thing. But in sounding like at times so many different works it ends up with a diversification that makes it special unto itself.

At this point I do not believe The Source will surpass my favorites albums in The Human Equation or Into the Electric Castle. However I consider those both masterpiece albums. It has planted itself right below that as a stellar album I hold beside The Theory of Everything and The Final Experiment for 3rd place in the Ayreon discography.

Agree with everything other than it being 3rd; atm, it falls in at #4 behind Flight of the Migrator for me.  But, this is only after 2 listens, so this could change.

Arjen over time has developed a very distinct style and everything he does sounds like him. So it's not surprising that this new Ayreon sounds like older Ayreon or any of his other projects. As long as it isn't outright copying of already done parts I don't mind. In fact I know what to expect and Arjen so far has delivered.

With this I also agree.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1674 on: May 03, 2017, 07:19:24 PM »
The album has a lot of atmosphere, which seems to be what the album is going for. Even though the songs sound happy its really saddening that they're basically leaving all they knew to begin anew. Which is why I like the ending it fits that distraught they all faced. Makes it even messed up for the whole world that were left to die.

Agree 100% - just didn't know how to word it like you did.  Love that aspect of the ending where you know what they are getting themselves into and leaving behind.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1675 on: May 05, 2017, 05:55:37 AM »
One thing that bothers me a little is that in 'Sea of Machines' (mind you, more Ayreon albums have the same problem) this highly advanced race that supposedly lived billions of years ago, is talking about radio, satellites, tv and phones :') why would they be the same to humans and invent the same sort of things? I get that it's probably for story-telling purposes, but I find it rather strange nonetheless. That said, the whole concept of 'machines taking over' is pretty much a cliche in science fiction (even though it's a very real threat, I believe <- seriously, read that), and I understand that Arjen Lucassen is obviously his own frame of reference to give shape to his concepts, but it still feels a little silly. Just like the 'supllies'-section in Everybody Dies.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1676 on: May 05, 2017, 06:29:33 AM »
One thing that bothers me a little is that in 'Sea of Machines' (mind you, more Ayreon albums have the same problem) this highly advanced race that supposedly lived billions of years ago, is talking about radio, satellites, tv and phones :') why would they be the same to humans and invent the same sort of things? I get that it's probably for story-telling purposes, but I find it rather strange nonetheless.
If we're being that picky, why are they speaking English?

I think we can take it as a given that the dialogue/lyrics are a translation, in which case "radio", "satellites" etc. will be the nearest translation of whatever it is they're referring to.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline home

« Reply #1677 on: May 05, 2017, 07:04:11 AM »
I think we can take it as a given that the dialogue/lyrics are a translation, in which case "radio", "satellites" etc. will be the nearest translation of whatever it is they're referring to.
That's actually a pretty nice view of things

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1678 on: May 05, 2017, 07:42:50 AM »
If we're being that picky, why are they speaking English?

Why do the people in Star Wars speak English?

---

Yeah, I get that the point of the story is that the 'Frame is shutting down all technology and is making it impossible to use electric devices, but why the need to make it so plastic with a sentence like 'I can't even use my phone'? That just seems silly to me, surely there must be more eloquent ways to say the same thing. Then again, we all know that lyrics have never been Ayreon's strong suit.

Oh, and I'm obviously nitpicking indeed :lol and in the grans csheme of things, none of this matters anyway.
Squ

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1679 on: May 05, 2017, 08:02:51 AM »
Still haven't listened to it. How does it compare to THE-01? Theory of Everything was quite disappointing.