Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 380948 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (The Source, April 28, 2017)
« Reply #1610 on: April 16, 2017, 09:43:53 PM »
Nice interview, some really interesting tidbits there.

Can we start speculating on the setlist now?

Awwww yeaaah. One of my bigger wonders is if he'll go in order. I think it would be really cool if he starts at the beginning, works his way forward, and then encores with whatever extra tracks he wants.

I'll speculate on what I think will be played, as opposed to what I want:

Computer Reign*, Sail Away to Avalon
Computer Eyes*, Abbey of Synn
The Castle Hall*, Valley of the Queens, Amazing Flight
And the Druids Turned to Stone*, My House on Mars
Dawn of a Million Souls*, Into the Black Hole*
Pain, Love
Ride the Comet*, Liquid Eternity or Age of Shadows
TTOE (see notes)
The Source (see notes)
Intergalactic Space Crusaders, Victim of the Modern Age

First off, a * denotes songs I'm more confident in. Computer Reign I just have a good feeling about, there are several choices based on singers, especially Ride the Comet. Would be sad to have Magali there and not let her rip on that song. With the Theory of Everything, and there being so many tracks that flow into one another it's almost impossible to say. I can only assume that they will do a chunk, maybe a full section, and won't jump around the album. With The Source I think they could jump around, but I would be more than thrilled if they stuck to the first chronicle. The two tracks from it already released remain two of my favorites, and the track between isn't a slouch either. I think Journey to Forever is a good possibility as well though, because (I believe) it's the only song with entire sections sung by "The Ship's Crew", and the opportunity to have 16 vocalists doing the sections justice may be too hard to resist.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1611 on: April 17, 2017, 05:17:57 AM »
No way they won't play Two Gates from ITEC.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1612 on: April 17, 2017, 07:23:43 AM »
No way they won't play Two Gates from ITEC.

Fair enough. Not counting TToE and The Source (simply because of their structure and newness), I would say it's safe to assume that ItEC is the album that is most likely to see more than two tracks played from it.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online ErHaO

« Reply #1613 on: April 17, 2017, 09:11:37 AM »
Nice interview, some really interesting tidbits there.

Can we start speculating on the setlist now?

Awwww yeaaah. One of my bigger wonders is if he'll go in order. I think it would be really cool if he starts at the beginning, works his way forward, and then encores with whatever extra tracks he wants.

I'll speculate on what I think will be played, as opposed to what I want:

Computer Reign*, Sail Away to Avalon
Computer Eyes*, Abbey of Synn
The Castle Hall*, Valley of the Queens, Amazing Flight
And the Druids Turned to Stone*, My House on Mars
Dawn of a Million Souls*, Into the Black Hole*
Pain, Love
Ride the Comet*, Liquid Eternity or Age of Shadows
TTOE (see notes)
The Source (see notes)
Intergalactic Space Crusaders, Victim of the Modern Age

First off, a * denotes songs I'm more confident in. Computer Reign I just have a good feeling about, there are several choices based on singers, especially Ride the Comet. Would be sad to have Magali there and not let her rip on that song. With the Theory of Everything, and there being so many tracks that flow into one another it's almost impossible to say. I can only assume that they will do a chunk, maybe a full section, and won't jump around the album. With The Source I think they could jump around, but I would be more than thrilled if they stuck to the first chronicle. The two tracks from it already released remain two of my favorites, and the track between isn't a slouch either. I think Journey to Forever is a good possibility as well though, because (I believe) it's the only song with entire sections sung by "The Ship's Crew", and the opportunity to have 16 vocalists doing the sections justice may be too hard to resist.

Yeah, that set list would make sense. I think Timeline is a pretty good indicator from what pool of songs he will likely pick. Though I can also see Arjen going for some tracks that have seen less live versions (see Theater Equation, Live on Earth, and Live in the Real World). Then again I (nobody?) wouldn't mind having another concert featuring Love, Valley of the Queens, Castle Hall, Pain, Songs of the Ocean etc. and offcourse for those tracks we know they work really well live.

In regards to TTOE, I hope The Visitation+Breakthrough (Karevik and Mills), but I think he will more likely go for an alternate version of the theme song and maybe some medley/cut up version of several songs.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1614 on: April 17, 2017, 01:57:40 PM »
Excellent interview, Nick!  :nickdidntfail:

I hope ErHaO is right, in that they pick from songs that haven't been done live before (other than THE obviously).  I'm would suspect the songs from THE will be ones that DON'T involve James.

Others are bound to show up a second time - Dawn of A Million Souls for instance - due to the vocalists in attendance, and sheer awesomeness of the songs.  I can see four or five Star One tracks (given 3.5/4 are there), and goddamned they better do Master of Darkness.

Agree on the use of Maggy - Ride the Comet and Liquid Eternity are MUST HAVE.  On the latter, who would you think should do the Jorn parts?  I'm thinking Jonas or Hansi

:caffeine: at the prospect of a BluRay that he's already thinking about how to make it a top-notch production - considering it was right up until the weekend of the show that we didn't know FOR CERTAIN that there'd be one with The Theater Equation.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1615 on: April 17, 2017, 02:06:50 PM »
I can see four or five Star One tracks (given 3.5/4 are there), and goddamned they better do Master of Darkness.

Actually they have 4 out of 4 Star One touring members.  Robert Soeterboek sang on the original Star One tour/Live on Earth release in lieu of Dan Swano, who was in the studio with Nightingale at the time. 

And yes, Master of Darkness needs to be played live.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1616 on: April 17, 2017, 04:48:17 PM »
Well aware of that - I have the DVD (just watched it a few days ago actually) ... signed by Floor herself to boot.  That's why I said 3.5/4.   ;)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1617 on: April 17, 2017, 04:53:52 PM »
Excellent interview, Nick!  :nickdidntfail:

I hope ErHaO is right, in that they pick from songs that haven't been done live before (other than THE obviously).  I'm would suspect the songs from THE will be ones that DON'T involve James.

Others are bound to show up a second time - Dawn of A Million Souls for instance - due to the vocalists in attendance, and sheer awesomeness of the songs.  I can see four or five Star One tracks (given 3.5/4 are there), and goddamned they better do Master of Darkness.

Agree on the use of Maggy - Ride the Comet and Liquid Eternity are MUST HAVE.  On the latter, who would you think should do the Jorn parts?  I'm thinking Jonas or Hansi

:caffeine: at the prospect of a BluRay that he's already thinking about how to make it a top-notch production - considering it was right up until the weekend of the show that we didn't know FOR CERTAIN that there'd be one with The Theater Equation.

I think there will be several vocalists at any given point who can cover reasonably well for those not present, and it'll probably come down to who has the fewest original parts. For example I don't think we'll be seeing Wilson or Allen singing anything they didn't originally sing, whereas I say those guys like Marco and Jonas will be covering a good number of parts.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1618 on: April 17, 2017, 05:00:31 PM »
:iagree:

Floor, Damian, and Russell (even outside of Star One) have enough of their own Ayreon parts to keep them busy.  Others could use a little extra - lest they be on stage for 10 minutes or less.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1619 on: April 18, 2017, 09:28:22 AM »
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1620 on: April 18, 2017, 09:33:17 AM »
Alright, my thoughts:

The Final Experiment: I definitely expect Sail Away to Avalon to be there, and if they will play the set chronologically or at least start with the TFE intro, I can see The Awareness being played.
Actual Fantasy: I'm pretty sure it's going to be The Abbey of Synn and Computer Eyes. Arjen knows it's his least-popular album, so I suppose he'll just pick the tracks that are well-regarded.
ITEC: that's a tricky one. Valley of the Queens is a fan favourite, it's short and Anneke is there, so that's probably a given. I think that perhaps Amazing Flight might be in the set for Arjen's surprise appearance, and we'll definitely see more songs from it. I'd love to see Isis and Osiris with the lineup they've got, so I hope for that and not for Castle Hall, though I won't complain either way.
The Dream Sequencer: my bet here would be Druids and 2084.
Flight of the Migrator: Dawn of a Million Souls and Into the Black Hole, pretty sure about these two.
THE: they'll probably play some fan-favourites like Pain and Love, indeed. I don't really care about what gets played from this album because I've already seen it performed live. ;D
01011001: This is the album I want to see at least four songs being played from.I would say one of Ride the Comet or Liquid Eternity is a must, given that Magali is on board. I mean, they can use Magali on other songs, if they wish. But, hey, I won't complain if they'll play both, I like both songs. Would also love to see Waking Dreams played, since both Jonas and Anneke are on board. I suppose Age of Shadows has a good chance of being played too. If they aren't going chronologically, perhaps The Sixth Extinction can close the set before the encore if there is one. I would love to see River of Time too. This is going to be fun.
TTOE: I'm tempted to say they'll go for a medley from the first Phase, but since Marco is here and he doesn't do a lot there, I suppose they either have a different plan or will use him on the other songs. I'm pretty sure The Theory of Everything Part I will be played, though.
The Source: no idea since I haven't heard the album yet, but again, I'm reasonably sure The Day that the World Breaks Down will be played as the first single from the record, and perhaps Everybody Dies will make it too, since Arjen said it's probably his favourite from the new album.
Star One: no idea, they can play basically anything. If I had to pick two songs from each album, I'd go with The Eye of Ra and Intergalactic Space Crusaders from the first, and Human See Human Do, 24 Hours from the second. Wouldn't mind seeing Master of Darkness, too.

Bottom line: Arjen has so much great material, it's so difficult to compose the setlist to satisfy everyone. Especially with 16 singers on board. Damn.

Also, I really hope I won't get spoiled on the setlist in advance. Especially at our meetup before the second show. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1621 on: April 18, 2017, 10:10:32 AM »
New song, Star of Sirra!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obySu2DExWY

That was so good. Damn this album is turning out to be one amazing effort. Already next week it'll be released.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1622 on: April 18, 2017, 10:32:02 AM »
I think it's already being mailed out if you ordered it...

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1623 on: April 18, 2017, 10:35:08 AM »

I hope so cause I ordered one.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1624 on: April 18, 2017, 10:36:26 AM »

Maybe some of the earlier preorders are. I preordered it a month ago from Mascot and they haven't shipped mine yet.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1625 on: April 18, 2017, 10:43:26 AM »

Maybe some of the earlier preorders are. I preordered it a month ago from Mascot and they haven't shipped mine yet.

I got the Ultimate package through mascot. So it'll likely ship the end of the week I hope.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1626 on: April 18, 2017, 11:09:35 AM »

I got the Ultimate package through mascot. So it'll likely ship the end of the week I hope.

I'm in the same boat. Don't get me wrong, I'm fortunate in that I've already heard the album... too many times, but that'll seem like nothing once I get that amazing ultimate bundle in that will include a 5.1 mix. Hell, I've never really done one except for secret santa, but I may even do an unboxing video for this.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1627 on: April 18, 2017, 11:42:21 AM »
I wouldn't be so sure we're getting two songs from each Star One album, just based on length of the show. I remember at one point Arjen said two hours, and given the level of detail into everything my guess is that might grow some, but not a lot. Let's get liberal and say 2h30m.

Now let's say from all the albums other than The Source and average of 15 minutes of music gets played. That's reasonable I would say and gives you 2 hours. Add to that 20 minutes from The Source and you're only left with 10 minutes of Star One. You could of course play less from Ayreon, but by the same token you could also stick closer to the two hours Arjen initially set.

My hope is, given the enormity of this, Arjen was just being a little whimsy with the time and will come out with a full Avantasia length show of 3 or 3.5 hours. The only people that would be taxing on are the five main musicians (two guitars, keys, bass, and drums), as the singers and other musicians will all have plenty of breathers.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1628 on: April 18, 2017, 11:45:13 AM »
I wouldn't be so sure we're getting two songs from each Star One album, just based on length of the show. I remember at one point Arjen said two hours, and given the level of detail into everything my guess is that might grow some, but not a lot. Let's get liberal and say 2h30m.

Now let's say from all the albums other than The Source and average of 15 minutes of music gets played. That's reasonable I would say and gives you 2 hours. Add to that 20 minutes from The Source and you're only left with 10 minutes of Star One. You could of course play less from Ayreon, but by the same token you could also stick closer to the two hours Arjen initially set.

My hope is, given the enormity of this, Arjen was just being a little whimsy with the time and will come out with a full Avantasia length show of 3 or 3.5 hours. The only people that would be taxing on are the five main musicians (two guitars, keys, bass, and drums), as the singers and other musicians will all have plenty of breathers.

I mostly picked four Star One songs because I couldn't pick only two. :lol I know that's pushing the time limits Arjen tentatively set. And yeah, sure, I would be down for show of 3 hours.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1629 on: April 18, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »

re: Star One at the Ayreon Universe show.  I'd be surprised if they did both Eye of Ra and 24 Hours.  First, they already did Eye of Ra, and second, it's stylistically very similar to 24 hours - 7.5 minute mid tempo song, extra crunchy riffs, with all three dudes belting out some killer notes (predominantly Wilson on the latter), and Floor wailing a very nice chorus.

I hope there's a couple of tracks from VOTMA.

What do you think the chances are of having a few songs swapped in/out across the weekend?  I'm sure a lot of people (like Nick) are going to multiple shows, so that might be a way to get the most out of the 16 singers.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1630 on: April 18, 2017, 12:30:06 PM »
What do you think the chances are of having a few songs swapped in/out across the weekend?  I'm sure a lot of people (like Nick) are going to multiple shows, so that might be a way to get the most out of the 16 singers.

I have it directly from Arjen that the setlist for all the shows will stay the same.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1631 on: April 18, 2017, 01:10:10 PM »

I have it directly from Arjen that the setlist for all the shows will stay the same.

Yeah, and not surprising given the amount of detail he seems to be putting in for everything.

You know what would be kinda cool? If he got around the "2 hour" thing by coming out and "opening" the show, playing acoustically with a handful of singers for a half hour. Be a neat time to tell some stories and really set things up for the epicness to follow.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1633 on: April 18, 2017, 04:20:24 PM »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1634 on: April 22, 2017, 06:55:30 AM »
I just got my order in, almost an entire week before the release! :omg:

Will listen to it today if I can find the time, otherwise tomorrow. I'm just gonna go ahead and say I'm not a huge fan of this album cover so having it on poster format isn't that exciting either :lol but it came for free with the purchase so I don't mind

EDIT: Aaand finished first listen. Obvious spoilers ahead

First off, the package is awesome. Most of the CDs I buy are just the music along with lyrics and (in a lot of cases) a nice looking cover. This thing contains the 2 CDs, a bonus DVD with 4 music videos, interviews and more (will check it out over the weekend), all the lyrics and introductory texts to each 'chronicle', and some awesome imagery of machines that occur in the story like the dream sequencer, quantum supernova core or whatever it's called, the frame etc. Never owned anything by Ayreon before and I bet he always does this, but for me it's a first and it's pretty much the best thing a music nerd could ask for from his albums :lol

Content: First impressions are that the first disc is definitely stronger than the second (this seems to be a recent trend among prog double-albums :D). Obviously the album needs more listens but I feel like I'm missing the impact factor of the finale, the last songs all felt a bit bland. Standouts among the not yet revealed songs were definitely Sea of Machines, Deathcry of a Race and to a slightly lesser extent Run! Apocalypse! Run!, Condemned to Live and The Dream Dissolves. Absolute favourite right now is either The Day That the World Breaks Down or Deathcry of a Race. The switch-offs between Zaher's arabic vocals and Simone/Floor's operatic vocals are excellent on Deathcry of a Race.

A bit disappointed that the only harsh vocals Tommy does are on Everybody Dies to be honest :lol but still awesome that he has such a big role on this album, I think his voice fits the trademark-Ayreon flute stuff pretty well
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:19:07 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #1635 on: April 25, 2017, 05:54:20 AM »
My order arrived on the 20th. I wasn't home and only saw the message one day later when the post office was already closed. Picked it up on the 24th.
Probably going to wait until the weekend for the first spin with a friend I've gotten into Ayreon. She'll also get the shirt and the hoodie.

That's if I'll be able to not listen to it for four more days. :eek

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1636 on: April 27, 2017, 08:04:47 PM »
I've been holding off on ordering this as the price of $26 is a bit steep on Amazon Canada. I may have to bite the bullet.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1637 on: April 27, 2017, 08:07:25 PM »
importcds probably ships to canada and i'm sure it's cheaper there

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1638 on: April 28, 2017, 07:05:44 AM »
My digibook arrived today and I'm listening right now. Very Ayreon sounding, several trademark sounds/songs. I'm liking what I hear so far.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1639 on: April 28, 2017, 07:25:19 AM »
I haven't even gotten my shipping notification from Mascot US - so I'm going to be relegated to Spotify.  I might hold off until the mail arrives just in case - and since there are 6 other releases from today that I can spin to keep me occupied.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1640 on: April 28, 2017, 08:21:28 AM »
So far the album isn't really growing on me. I like a few songs here and there (Zaher Zorgati has the best part of the entire album), but overall it doesn't leave a very good impression. Hopefully time is gonna change that.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: April 28, 2017, 09:03:23 AM »
And just got notice from Mascot US that their incoming shipment from MerchNow for all the pre-orders was bigger and took longer to clear US customs, so it's gonna be a while before everything is delivered.  Fortunately, they shared a download link.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1642 on: April 28, 2017, 10:21:33 AM »
Edit: After posting I just received the email. Gonna download it when I get back from the hospital.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:48:08 AM by Ben_Jamin »

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1643 on: April 28, 2017, 11:59:21 AM »
importcds probably ships to canada and i'm sure it's cheaper there

Much cheaper, but there's a $6.99 shipping charge, and with the US-Canada exchange rate I wouln't be saving anything  :'(

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1644 on: April 28, 2017, 12:14:48 PM »
welp

I ordered like Wednesday night so I probably won't get my copy until Monday oh well

It did ship though