Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 382145 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (The Source, April 28, 2017)
« Reply #1540 on: January 26, 2017, 03:09:12 PM »
Yea it's a really cool video. Works great to combine commentary and recording footage.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1541 on: January 26, 2017, 03:12:44 PM »
Yea it's a really cool video. Works great to combine commentary and recording footage.

Yea, that video was awesome all around.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1542 on: January 26, 2017, 03:45:25 PM »
Yeah, the song has been on repeat quite a few times today, it is great  :metal I think the song flows really well, despite constantly juggling between vocalists and shifting gears quite often. Nice to hear some of the teaser samples fall in to place perfectly.

Oh, and yes, can commentary please be a new standard for these type of videos? Way too many artists have these lyric videos with a crappy (unreadable) font that jumps in all directions at all times. This is actually an interesting watch.

Regarding the cover, I have said it before I think but I like the image. However, I don't think it works well as an album cover. I don't know, it looks like a still from a film/game or a panel from a graphics novel or something. One that looks nice but I think the composition doesn't really work as a cover with text pasted on top of it.

Great song! The singers all sound fantastic, and I really liked the bluesy section.

Yeah, I did not expect that. And Russel fits that type of music really well (I think I recall reading that his roots lie there, hence his solo album having a lot of blues influences as well).

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1543 on: January 26, 2017, 04:23:07 PM »
Rusell was easily the weakest part of the song for me. But I guess that happens when you dislike the vocalist.  :lol
Give me more of Michael Mills, LaBrie and Tommy and I'll be happy. I hope Zaher shows up often, his preview was the one I enjoyed the most. Love the arabic influence in Ayreon's sound.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1544 on: January 26, 2017, 04:34:46 PM »
To anyone that cares, I translated the binary that Mills sings and it comes out to: "Trust TH1", with TH1 being his character.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1545 on: January 26, 2017, 05:02:30 PM »
Rusell was easily the weakest part of the song for me. But I guess that happens when you dislike the vocalist.  :lol
Give me more of Michael Mills, LaBrie and Tommy and I'll be happy. I hope Zaher shows up often, his preview was the one I enjoyed the most. Love the arabic influence in Ayreon's sound.

Zaher does not, unfortunately. Arjen said his appearance is brief (hence why he is not in this songs, which features all the main vocalists). Arjen did also say he is interested in working with him more in the future.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1546 on: January 26, 2017, 05:40:27 PM »
Listened to the song, man it was great!

Best Ayreon production yet, and the binary code thing was insane. When does the album come out? Super pumped for this one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1547 on: January 26, 2017, 05:48:31 PM »

Best Ayreon production yet, and the binary code thing was insane. When does the album come out? Super pumped for this one.

If only some super cool mod type dude had already edited the release date into the thread title. Then this type of info would be easy access. If only. :p
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #1548 on: January 26, 2017, 05:49:48 PM »

If only some super cool mod type dude had already edited the release date into the thread title. Then this type of info would be easy access. If only. :p

I don't look at thread titles! You never know when Black_Floyd turned them into a boner reference.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Erection Thread (The Source, April 28, 2017)
« Reply #1549 on: January 26, 2017, 06:44:53 PM »

I don't look at thread titles! You never know when Black_Floyd turned them into a boner reference.

Fair enough, it's April 28th.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1550 on: January 26, 2017, 08:29:18 PM »
That was an amazing song!!!  I'm sure it was chosen as the first single just because of all the singers.  It was pretty busy!  Arjen has a sense of humor, I loved the commentary along with the video.  Definitely my most looked forward to release so far for 2017.  Definitely going to have to get a physical copy of this so I can read the lyrics and try and follow the story.  I find the Ayreon albums to be fascinating.  Tommy K sounded great, that was probably my highlight of the song just based on his performance alone.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1551 on: January 26, 2017, 08:32:57 PM »
Yea, Tommy sounds insane. I'd never heard of Seventh Wonder, so I'm really grateful to Kamelot and Ayreon for giving this guy a platform, just an incredible talent.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1552 on: January 26, 2017, 08:43:36 PM »
Arjen also did a commentary for the video of Lost In The New Real, from the album of the same name. I hope he continues with it, because it's a lot of fun to read.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1553 on: January 26, 2017, 09:42:04 PM »
anyone having a problem ordering the album from mascot label group?  when I'm on the page for any of the products theres no button to order or add to cart, can't figure out how to fix it  :huh:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1554 on: January 26, 2017, 09:47:34 PM »
Unfortunately their servers have risen up against humanity, and it's time for us to prepare for when the entire site breaks down.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1555 on: January 26, 2017, 11:33:05 PM »
Computers started torrenting people.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1556 on: January 27, 2017, 01:26:00 AM »
Rusell was easily the weakest part of the song for me. But I guess that happens when you dislike the vocalist:lol

We are not a match.

I've only heard the song through my phone speaker, and sounded alright, but a bit disjointed.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1557 on: January 27, 2017, 04:06:49 AM »
That Mike Mills part is amazing. Funny though, I didn't think at first that he actually sang the numbers in the correct order, I just assumed he adlib 0 and 1s.  :lol  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #1558 on: January 27, 2017, 04:48:14 AM »
anyone having a problem ordering the album from mascot label group?  when I'm on the page for any of the products theres no button to order or add to cart, can't figure out how to fix it  :huh:

I had some issues with it loading incredibly slow yesterday when I went to pre-order. Decided on the double CD/DVD with T-Shirt package. Love the artwork from this one.

I really enjoyed the first track from it, can't wait to hear the entire thing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1559 on: January 27, 2017, 05:01:40 AM »
I've lost a little bit of interest in Ayreon over the last couple, but that song was really good.  Looking forward to this one.  What a list of singers too, amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1560 on: January 27, 2017, 05:09:47 AM »
The video with multiple videos and text throughout was really good. I enjoyed that indeed. It's funny though, that he released the longest track of his album as the 'single'. it was nice hearing all these singers, but I got the felling that they weren't really 'interacting' with each other, since they all got their own part in the song. I hope we'll see more of that on the rest of the album.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1561 on: January 27, 2017, 03:38:46 PM »
It's going to be a struggle to not over-listen to that song.  We have a long wait until release date. 

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1562 on: January 27, 2017, 03:47:14 PM »
JP/Rudess should call Arjen to ask him how to record/produce vocals. James sounds so much fuller on Ayreon.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #1563 on: January 27, 2017, 06:05:30 PM »
Wow so many of my favorite singers in one song.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1564 on: January 28, 2017, 07:51:54 AM »
Heard it as well! Songs is good, obviously it will need many more listenings. The video was very cool, loved the "Are you still with me" part, like he didn't know that 12 minutes for prog fans is just a hearbeat  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1565 on: January 28, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »
I seriously love this song so much.

I honestly can't remember the last time I listened to a song 10+ times in the span of a few days. Usually I give it 2 or 3 listens and then shelve it till I can hear the whole album. The hype is real.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1566 on: January 28, 2017, 10:23:22 AM »
Can't stop listening. I showed my Boyfriend this song and he loved it. Especially the A Capella part.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1567 on: January 28, 2017, 07:01:38 PM »
Track is definitely growing on me. I find myself humming the main heavy riff a lot.
Another thing I would like to add... this is what good production sounds like. James should borrow Arjen for a few albums.  :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #1568 on: January 28, 2017, 07:05:32 PM »
Track is definitely growing on me. I find myself humming the main heavy riff a lot.
Another thing I would like to add... this is what good production sounds like. James should borrow Arjen for a few albums.  :lol

James' solo albums have great production. Do you mean DT should borrow him?

And, this also might be my favorite Ayreon production sound yet.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1569 on: January 28, 2017, 07:09:41 PM »
I meant that James should recruit him to produce DT albums, since he's the only one who works with Arjen apart from Jordan's guest solo on TTOE. I actually never tend to notice Ayreon's production, because it is that good. I have never listened to an Ayreon album and noticed something off about the actual sound of it (which I tend to do a lot with modern albums, especially the drums and compression).

But yeah, James' solo albums sound terrific.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1570 on: January 29, 2017, 04:08:42 AM »
That song was amazing. Definitely looking forward to The Source now!
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1571 on: January 29, 2017, 12:34:15 PM »
Man, what a kickass song. Loving the heavyness with this one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1572 on: January 29, 2017, 09:57:27 PM »
Ayreon is not really on my radar anymore, but given all of this chatter, I gave that new song a listen earlier.  Not bad. I thought the video was really neat, with all of his fact tidbits and commentary, but I've never liked when he shoehorns that many singers into one song like that.   It's almost distracting, trying to figure out who is singing what, and before you know what, you've lost track of what is what and the song is over.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1573 on: January 30, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »
Ayreon is not really on my radar anymore, but given all of this chatter, I gave that new song a listen earlier.  Not bad. I thought the video was really neat, with all of his fact tidbits and commentary, but I've never liked when he shoehorns that many singers into one song like that.   It's almost distracting, trying to figure out who is singing what, and before you know what, you've lost track of what is what and the song is over.

But it's a part of the story and plot.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1574 on: January 30, 2017, 07:42:14 PM »

But it's a part of the story and plot.

I understand that.