Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 380882 times)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (New Ayreon 2017)
« Reply #1470 on: December 05, 2016, 06:34:02 AM »
Yes, definitily sounds like the singer from Myrath, awesome  :D
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1471 on: December 08, 2016, 05:28:21 AM »
I'm not a guitarist but it does sound kind of like JP. Other than that I have no idea.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1472 on: December 08, 2016, 05:36:11 AM »
That was a hard one. Some parts sounds Petrucci-ish, but Im guessing Michael Romeo. The sweep picking and whammy-work is kind of his style.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1473 on: December 08, 2016, 08:25:36 AM »
This indeed did give me JP vibes, so my bet is on him. I think for every solo thus far people have been saying Petrucci (without any reason other than him being famous and other DT members being involved with Ayreon) but this time I can actually hear it. Could very well be Romeo (or another extremely gifted guitarist) but my feeling says JP.

These guitar solo's thus far all sound fantastic btw, can't wait to hear them in their full glory and context.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1474 on: December 08, 2016, 10:00:28 AM »
Could be petrucci but also heard some linstruth and Romeo.

Maybe Marco from JLBs band?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1475 on: December 08, 2016, 10:29:24 AM »
Could be petrucci but also heard some linstruth and Romeo.

Maybe Marco from JLBs band?
That would be a likely and great choice, but I hope it's Petrucci.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1476 on: December 09, 2016, 07:51:54 AM »
So Marcel Coenen apparently, that would explain why some elements sounded different from any of the names that were guessed. This is the guy that will play at Ayreon live so I wouldn't mind him going all out on stage there. He also played at the Theater Equation btw.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1477 on: December 13, 2016, 06:50:17 PM »
Not sure if it's all the album updates, or what.  But I have been listening to Ayreon non-stop for the past week or so.   Currently, I can't stop listening to 010110100 (guessing on the actual name lol).  Can't say enough good things about Arjen.  My favorite album of his might even be his solo album "Lost in the New Real".  It's basically tied with my top one or two Ayreon albums.  Can't wait to find out more, or an approximate time of album release.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1478 on: December 15, 2016, 07:46:57 AM »
Newest sample is Karevik for sure! Hell yeah  ;D :metal Great sample too and Karevik seems to be going all out for this one.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1479 on: December 15, 2016, 07:48:02 AM »
He's impressive but for some reason I still don't like the tone of his voice.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1480 on: December 19, 2016, 05:30:58 AM »
I thought of him before I even listened to the samples. Awesome though!

If i'm honest not many of these clips have really grabbed me so i'm not sure what to expect from this album at this point, i'm sure it's diffrent hearing the samples in it's proper context however i'm usually more excited for an Ayreon release than I am at the moment.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1481 on: December 19, 2016, 09:50:17 AM »
Also, final singer is offcourse the almighty Russel Allen! But that was kind of to be expected due to him winning the fan vote and him being involved in the concert as well

Thus far most samples have resonated very strongly with me, but it seems this one is going to be a lot more metal orientated, like DS:p2, 0101.., or even Star One songs. Some of these samples also have elements I haven't really heard in Ayreon before, which is exciting to me. Only samples that did nothing for me were the keyboard solo, Tommy Rogers, and Nils K. Rue. And Zaher Zorgati but his role will be very limited Arjen said, so I expect that to be a small atmospheric moment in a song rather than him being prominent somewhere (I love his voice though).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1482 on: December 20, 2016, 03:17:49 PM »
Finally got The Theater Equation. Just finished act1. It's pretty good so far. Love the acting and that chick growler.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline CB

« Reply #1483 on: December 21, 2016, 01:08:31 PM »
That's probably the greatest Ayreon line-up ever (even if 2 of my favourites, Anneke and Marco Hietala, aren't in it). I'm a bit surprised though about the 10 male/2 female proportion. Russel Allen is good news of course, but I would have preferred a 3rd female voice on the album.

12 vocalists! I hope that everyone got enough to sing, with this cast it would be a shame otherwise. That means that the album has to be at least 4 hours long ;D

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1484 on: January 08, 2017, 07:50:54 AM »
Since I'm pretty much creating most of Ayreon/Arjen-related activity at DTF right now, I'll take this opportunity to do a bit of shameless promotion of things I'm running right now:

Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Survivor is in its starting phase—I need to know how many people are ready to vote in each Album Survivor to determine how to run things further. If you're planning to participate (and trust me, you want to participate ;) ), you should vote in the Roll Call thread poll down in the Polls / Survivors section. You can find the Roll Call thread here.

Arjen Lucassen Discography thread is still up and running, and I've just posted Embrace the Storm writeup. To read, comment and join for the upcoming listening session for this album, you can visit the thread by using this link.

Sorry about this shameless plug. Let's now wait for more news about upcoming Ayreon album. :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online MirrorMask

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1486 on: January 16, 2017, 11:50:34 AM »
That's awesome....makes me think it may be about the war of 2084 and the effects of it. Leading them to live beneath the waves.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1487 on: January 16, 2017, 12:55:04 PM »
Planet Alpha, eh? I wonder if that will work into the album title at all. I love the artwork, kind of has a bit of a Roger Dean feel to it, which is always a positive thing.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline home

« Reply #1488 on: January 17, 2017, 07:25:54 AM »
Those In to the Electric Castle and Dream Sequencer references in the artwork are really great!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1489 on: January 17, 2017, 07:48:44 AM »
Nice artwork indeed. :tup Still, I wonder why Arjen isn't working with Jef Bertels this time.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1490 on: January 17, 2017, 12:44:52 PM »
I thought the art on the site and during the teasers was a bit generic, but I really like the new art, which really evokes that classic Ayreon vibe.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1491 on: January 17, 2017, 01:11:29 PM »
Nice artwork indeed. :tup Still, I wonder why Arjen isn't working with Jef Bertels this time.
I mean honestly I first thought it was Jef but looking closer it's a bit diffrent from his style but not to much though. That tower thing to the right look very much like Jefs style imo.

Offline home

« Reply #1492 on: January 17, 2017, 01:53:29 PM »
I mean honestly I first thought it was Jef but looking closer it's a bit diffrent from his style but not to much though. That tower thing to the right look very much like Jefs style imo.
Because it comes from the The Dream Sequencer cover  :P

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1493 on: January 18, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
so I guess im the only one who doesnt really like it at all?   :lol i've always loved ayreon artworks (THE has amazing artwork, even in the booklet. so does TTOE) , but this does nothing for me, i find the color scheme to be close to disgusting 

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #1494 on: January 18, 2017, 11:55:40 AM »
so I guess im the only one who doesnt really like it at all?   :lol i've always loved ayreon artworks (THE has amazing artwork, even in the booklet. so does TTOE) , but this does nothing for me, i find the color scheme to be close to disgusting

I don't hate it, but I do like the previous covers more. Then again I'm kind of biased since the previous ones were made with a style that reminds me of two of my favorite illustrators.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (The Source, 2017)
« Reply #1495 on: January 19, 2017, 06:17:47 AM »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1496 on: January 19, 2017, 06:23:50 AM »
It is ok, I can dig the atmosphere of the cover (reminds me of 90's scifi videogames a bit) but don't think it really works as a cover, if that makes any sense.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1497 on: January 19, 2017, 06:30:45 AM »
now we are matrix, meh 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1498 on: January 19, 2017, 08:00:16 AM »
Is it moving? That's tight if it's like Kaleidoscope.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1499 on: January 19, 2017, 09:34:16 AM »
Is it moving? That's tight if it's like Kaleidoscope.

I think the mail newsletter mentioned that it won't be actually moving on the physical album cover. I also don't like the art that much, probably my least favourite Ayreon art since Flight of the Migrator.

I'm going to take this opportunity to do one last shameless promotion regarding Ayreon/Arjen Survivor (I apologize in advance). You can win some Ayreon-related and other musicians-related stuff by participating in the Prediction Contest I'm hosting for this Survivor. You have to fill the survey and send me the answers either via PM, Skype, Facebook or e-mail. To win the prize, you have to fit all the points in "Eligibility" section; but even if you're not eligible, you still can participate to see if you can beat your fellow DTF members at Ayreon-related predictions. The deadline is January 25th, and The Final Experiment Survivor begins at January 26th. More information can be found in the Prediction thread (linked above) and Results and Discussion thread.

I apologize again and I promise I won't be posting about anything Survivor-related in this thread anymore. Carry on.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1500 on: January 21, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »
Not sure how accurate it is, but someone just shared the new Ayreon cover photo on Facebook with the blurb "The upcoming Ayreon album "The Source" will be available in April" - take it with a grain of salt until Arjen confirms it, but it sounds like a reasonable release date.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1501 on: January 24, 2017, 11:52:03 AM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1502 on: January 24, 2017, 12:04:31 PM »
I reject this Frame and substitute my own.

Also, I was hoping for a single disc album for once, but oh well :/

Filler is the bane of all his two disc albums and I'm gonna guess this will end up the same.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1503 on: January 24, 2017, 12:23:03 PM »
Filler is the bane of all his two disc albums and I'm gonna guess this will end up the same.

nothing on THE should be considered filler (well... maybe Day 13)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1504 on: January 24, 2017, 12:33:21 PM »
4, 8, 13, 14, 19 are all filler tbh