Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 376150 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (The Theater Equation, June 17)
« Reply #1260 on: May 27, 2016, 09:12:57 AM »
Official song preview is on YouTube.

Day Two: Isolation

Pretty cool but I'm kind of bothered by some camera shots where you can see people's heads in the bottom of the screen, and also some shots where the camera took some sweet moments to focus. And apparently there's some spoken parts added or maybe they were performed on Sunday show, because they weren't there at the Friday show.
Yeah, I agree some of the shots aren't the best, but the music totally makes up for it. I probably watch the live DVD twice or thrice and after that I just listen to the audio.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1261 on: May 27, 2016, 10:56:48 AM »
That mix is really great. I want to watch the whole thing now.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1262 on: May 27, 2016, 12:16:31 PM »
Damn Eric Clayton is flawless. I can't wait to hear him on the songs where he shows up more.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1263 on: May 27, 2016, 12:21:24 PM »
Damn Eric Clayton is flawless. I can't wait to hear him on the songs where he shows up more.

He was really damn awesome during the whole show, as was Magnus Ekwall.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: May 27, 2016, 01:23:50 PM »
Looks like I can buy the Blu-Ray and the CDs separately on Amazon for $37.  Added to wishlist.

The CDs include the DVD. You can see in the details it's 3 discs (2 audio, and one video).

According to a comment on Amazon:
According to the site, the DVD is 5.1 audio only - no video -> https://www.arjenlucassen.com/content/the-theater-equation-to-be-released-on-dvd-and-blu-ray/

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #1265 on: May 27, 2016, 01:28:35 PM »
Looks like I can buy the Blu-Ray and the CDs separately on Amazon for $37.  Added to wishlist.

The CDs include the DVD. You can see in the details it's 3 discs (2 audio, and one video).

According to a comment on Amazon:
According to the site, the DVD is 5.1 audio only - no video -> https://www.arjenlucassen.com/content/the-theater-equation-to-be-released-on-dvd-and-blu-ray/

Arjen posted this on Facebook a few days ago about the packs that are available.  Assuming its the same as whats for sale on Amazon?

Offline CB

« Reply #1266 on: May 27, 2016, 03:06:24 PM »

It was a cut off on stage, very similar to the studio version, except JLB'S scream was more like a scream and less of a high note. At least that's what happened on Friday show.

As I remember it, on saturday evening and sunday JLB did that emotional scream at the end, accompanied by a high note from one of the female singers. I think they already did it like that in the try-out show with the understudies, I remember seeing that on YouTube. Maybe she forgot to sing that note on the friday show? I got a bootleg of that show and was surprised to only hear JLB.

I prefer the Theater equation ending to the original THE album ending. A scream makes more sense to me emotionally than a high note and that sci-fi ending right after the last note is totally anticlimactic IMO. I remember I always stopped the CD in the middle of the high note to avoid it :laugh:
At the live show, with the applause in between, the sci-fi scene worked much better, for me mainly because of the part Arjen appears!

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #1267 on: June 03, 2016, 09:45:26 AM »
Another teaser released woop woop :D  This time Day Eleven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRyX-lEGbfQ&feature=youtu.be

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1268 on: June 06, 2016, 09:32:09 AM »
Is it just me or does Irene sound pretty off key most of the time? Everyone else sounds pretty on point, but Irene seems a bit off.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: June 06, 2016, 09:38:11 AM »
Is it just me or does Irene sound pretty off key most of the time? Everyone else sounds pretty on point, but Irene seems a bit off.

She does sound a bit off on these videos in my opinion, which is really weird because she nailed it at the Friday show. Her and Magnus Ekwall were the singers who were outstanding and impressed me the most.

I had to write to InsideOut shop because I was charged for my order twice, first the pending charge and then the actual charge when it was shipped, and the pending charge was never returned to my card. Not sure who's to blame for this, their shop, PayPal or my bank, but I'm starting with InsideOut. Sent them an e-mail and we'll see how it goes from there.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1270 on: June 06, 2016, 12:28:05 PM »
James LaBrie is great in Love!!! impressive performance from him!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1271 on: June 06, 2016, 12:35:08 PM »
I must say I'm really not liking Anneke as Fear. It doesn't work in my opinion.
Trauma is gonna be a weird one.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1272 on: June 08, 2016, 10:57:51 AM »
Uhhhhh, what???  Just got this in my email today.  Did anyone else got something like this?

Due to production issues, the pre-order item 'The Theater Equation (2CD+DVD Digipak)' is not expected to ship until 07/22/2016. We appreciate your patience and look forward to sending your order on 07/22/2016 or sooner.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1273 on: June 08, 2016, 11:14:12 AM »
That sucks. But that is the risk of pre-ordering.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: June 08, 2016, 11:40:01 AM »
Uhhhhh, what???  Just got this in my email today.  Did anyone else got something like this?

Due to production issues, the pre-order item 'The Theater Equation (2CD+DVD Digipak)' is not expected to ship until 07/22/2016. We appreciate your patience and look forward to sending your order on 07/22/2016 or sooner.

Yep, got this for my US 2CD+DVD and also for my US Blu-ray order as well. On the other hand, the artbook I ordered from EU store was shipped to me five days ago. I think this is the first release I actually might be able to get on release day. :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #1275 on: June 08, 2016, 01:16:29 PM »
I preordered from Amazon, they first changed mine to the 22nd and then I think the  29th.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1277 on: June 11, 2016, 03:27:37 PM »
Thx for the link! Cool interview, glad to hear he's well on the way with his next project. Rooting for Star One but I have a feeling it's something new.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1278 on: June 19, 2016, 07:04:16 PM »
Guess I'll buy from Amazon. Since I was wondering if it was released. But then, people would be raving about it here. Guess I can wait a month.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1279 on: June 19, 2016, 09:24:22 PM »
I think you can listen to the album on Spotify, but I'm going to refrain from doing that until it gets shipped to me.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1280 on: June 19, 2016, 09:25:26 PM »
Since the blu ray won't come till the end of July, I went and bought the audio on Itunes. Listened to quite a bit of it.

Pretty damn awesome. I remember one of the reprises was a bit....odd....but a fantastic job all around beyond that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1281 on: June 20, 2016, 06:59:05 PM »
Pretty good...

Although I want to see it as this was meant to be seen.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1282 on: June 20, 2016, 07:01:13 PM »
Pretty good...

Although I want to see it as this was meant to be seen.

Yea, I kept looking at the TV while it was on, foolishly expecting to see it performed.

One more month! And 9 days or whatever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1283 on: June 20, 2016, 08:05:44 PM »
All right, I caved.  I heard it through Spotify.  Connected my crappy computer to my TV to get a better quality audio.  It's really good.  I didn't expect JLB to give some pretty big screams during Day 18 and Day 20 which made the original versions look tame so that's a nice surprise there.

The reprises parts does some weird and out of place from time to time, but overall, this was a great listen and probably going to be a much better watch when it gets shipped to me in July.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1284 on: June 20, 2016, 08:44:27 PM »
Just got the deluxe book edition in the mail today, and I just finished the main concert on the blu-ray, and HOLY CRAP was that good. I may have to watch it again later on this week. One of my favorite albums of all time, performed live, in its entirety, with the vocalists as stage actors in great costumes, plus an amazing band and choir, all fleshed out by amazing props, lighting, and other stage effects.

If Arjen never does another Ayreon live show, this is the best way to end the live career for Ayreon.

Though, it would be amazing if Arjen could put together Into The Electric Castle live, or even The Theory Of Everything, but I doubt he'll do anything like this again. One can dream, though...

Obviously, the 18 or so months it took to prepare for this (and the 3 prior) performance(s) REALLY shows as everyone really pulled together. It's really astonishing how short of a time the vocalists had with the band once they got there, but they did it. Everything was amazing.

The package itself is pretty sweet, too, with some great photographs in the book! If you can afford it, definitely get the BD/2DVD/2CD set - it's totally worth it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Adami

« Reply #1285 on: June 20, 2016, 08:50:03 PM »
As cool as it would be, Into The Electric Castle would require a budget that Arjen and co will never have.

And Theory of Everything stage show would be boring as all hell.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1286 on: June 21, 2016, 03:27:19 AM »
Just read the short summary of the story of THE. I haven't read all the lyrics or payed attention to them closely, but I'm guessing the secret is his wife was having an affair with his best friend?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1287 on: June 21, 2016, 07:47:50 AM »
Yeah, but they were never in love!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1288 on: June 23, 2016, 09:34:18 AM »
Yeah, but they were never in love!

That's no excuse. "She needed comfort so I stuck my dick in her. But don't worry, bro, she still loves you."

EDIT: Almost done with another listen, and am understanding the story more. Helps when both ear phones are in and the volume is up.

OK so all three of them were a piece of shit.

Anyway, I always thought The Human Equation was boring, and could never make it passed the first few songs. Then the other day I listened to The Theater Equation, and everything clicked. Now I regret getting rid of the album. There are some parts of the live version I like more, but the studio version is still great. I guess I wasn't ready for the album at the time.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:53:54 AM by Zook »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1289 on: June 24, 2016, 12:46:18 PM »
Just listened through 01011001 for the first time in awhile and I think this is easily my least favorite Ayreon album. The story is not interesting, most of the songs are not interesting, and most of the singers aren't interesting either.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1290 on: June 24, 2016, 03:42:28 PM »
Just listened through 01011001 for the first time in awhile and I think this is easily my least favorite Ayreon album. The story is not interesting, most of the songs are not interesting, and most of the singers aren't interesting either.

Weird. That's how I feel about The Theory of Everything. Although I love the singers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #1291 on: June 25, 2016, 02:19:57 PM »
I'd like to add on Theater Equation, whoever is doing the high falsetto stuff over Rage is annoying as hell.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: June 25, 2016, 02:41:44 PM »
Theater equation is really a fantastic BR... love the stage and the props,  the band is fenomenal, the quire fantastic and the singers are really really good, most of them are great and JLB really shines in this.... highly recommended

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1293 on: June 26, 2016, 03:09:58 AM »
They should have included the curtain call to the ending though, it just belongs there. Great watch, the sound is fantastic, and all the criticism over the video editing, this was never planned as a dvd release. The litterally thought of it last minute.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1294 on: June 26, 2016, 03:25:20 AM »
They should have included the curtain call to the ending though, it just belongs there. Great watch, the sound is fantastic, and all the criticism over the video editing, this was never planned as a dvd release. The litterally thought of it last minute.

How one can not consider filming something like this right from the start is beyond me. But I'm happy that they did.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D