Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 381882 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (The Gentle Storm, Mar. 23/24)
« Reply #1085 on: March 31, 2015, 12:40:45 PM »
Fifth is Sherinian, Sixth is van der Broek.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1086 on: March 31, 2015, 12:45:35 PM »
Joost's solo on 6th is really nice and I generally enjoy his work but in this case I simply can't see a solid reason for changing it. Tomas did a perfect job and that solo is one of the most elegant things I've heard.

And Derek is \m/ as usual.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1087 on: March 31, 2015, 01:02:01 PM »
Joost's solo on 6th is really nice and I generally enjoy his work but in this case I simply can't see a solid reason for changing it. Tomas did a perfect job and that solo is one of the most elegant things I've heard.

Yeah, the whole Waking Dreams is one of my favourite moments on the album after the epic Jorn / Floor showdowns in Liquid Eternity and Beneath the Waves.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1088 on: April 01, 2015, 11:23:11 AM »
Sorry guys my bad....so to make up for it, here´s some Gentle Storm live WITH Arjen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYUNZozU8l4&feature=youtu.be
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1089 on: April 01, 2015, 11:40:24 AM »
Fuck it, here´s Fallout as well... (Devin Townsend song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKo0BOi0epc
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1090 on: April 01, 2015, 11:44:37 AM »
Official live video of The Storm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qpseRKIYuE&feature=youtu.be

edit-made a mistake posting the link
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:59:27 AM by Cyclopssss »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1091 on: April 17, 2015, 08:11:55 AM »
Official live video of The Storm:

[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qpseRKIYuE&feature=youtu.be][/url]
Hmm did they forgot to private the video because they released it today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qpseRKIYuE&feature=youtu.be
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1092 on: April 17, 2015, 11:50:55 AM »
really I'm enjoying this album more than I expected to, though both discs seem to lose me a bit after The Storm, dunno why.
and i probably prefer the Storm version overall but both are good, not Arjen's best but still good

Offline CaelPetrucci

Ayreon Discussions
« Reply #1093 on: April 24, 2015, 05:43:23 AM »
i got into Ayreon through Dream Theater, and I gotta say, Arjen Anthony Lucassen is a mastermind. 01011001 has one of my favourite album closers ever in the Sixth Extinction, I absolutely love the song 'Pain' from The Human Equation and it helped me to land a role as the Narrator in my school's production of Into the Woods, and I've loved the songs ever since I heard them. Is this just me or do any of you out there like Ayreon's stuff too!

Also, this is the first topic I've ever started on the site!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Ayreon Discussions
« Reply #1094 on: April 24, 2015, 05:46:22 AM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline CaelPetrucci

Re: Ayreon Discussions
« Reply #1095 on: April 24, 2015, 05:49:08 AM »
Oh, sorry. Hadn't seen it. Thanks for sharing!  :D

Offline CaelPetrucci

« Reply #1096 on: April 24, 2015, 05:54:28 AM »
Man, I owe Arjen big time. Sang Pain in my audition for my school production (which was only allowed because of Theater Equation) and landed the role of the Narrator (the production is Into the Woods). Also, 01011001 has the best opener and closer (to the album as a whole, I don't count Disc One and Two as separated in any way) with Age of Shadows and Sixth Extinction, I just love the effect at the beginning, and the fact that a single blast of it is what kills the universe of Planet Y's timeline is awesome.

I reckon I'll love this until I die, or at least well until 2085

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: April 24, 2015, 07:30:30 AM »
01011001 has some mediocre tunes, but I agree both Age of Shadows and The Sixth Extinction are stellar.

Offline CaelPetrucci

« Reply #1098 on: April 24, 2015, 08:00:16 AM »
Agreed, basically if it isn't on Timeline or titled 'Comatose', 'Liquid Eternity', 'Connect the Dots', 'Beneath The Waves' or 'E=MC2' (I don't know how to do the squared on here) it isn't really worth it to me. Still, I will buy 01... the second I see it. Same as I will with every Ayreon album, except Theory of Everything which I already have the super deluxe version with the 4CD+DVD+hard cover booklet version, which was purchased with the pay from my first paid gig EVER!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: April 24, 2015, 08:15:07 AM »
Agreed, basically if it isn't on Timeline or titled 'Comatose', 'Liquid Eternity', 'Connect the Dots', 'Beneath The Waves' or 'E=MC2' (I don't know how to do the squared on here) it isn't really worth it to me. Still, I will buy 01... the second I see it. Same as I will with every Ayreon album, except Theory of Everything which I already have the super deluxe version with the 4CD+DVD+hard cover booklet version, which was purchased with the pay from my first paid gig EVER!

Yeah, that's cool. I didn't order the artbook from TTOE for some stupid reasons I don't remember, and got the 2CD+DVD mediabook instead, but I amended that by buying The Gentle Storm deluxe artbook pack. 01 is being sold on Arjen's site too, it comes in a nice box with the actual 2CDs and the bonus DVD.

And I'm not really too fond of Connect the Dots and E=MC^2, but to each his own. ;) Scratch those tracks, Web of Lies and Newborn Race, this would've been an outstanding album for me. It's still great though.

Offline CaelPetrucci

« Reply #1100 on: April 25, 2015, 08:49:51 AM »
Ok, Arjen appreciation elevated! Sent him an eMail two weeks ago, he sent me a reply today, one that pretty much confirms something I really wanted. Man, I am so happy.

Hi Arjen!
My name is Cael McLeish and I live in Bunbury, Western Australia.

== Hi Cael

I love Drama and Music and perform in those areas whenever I can, and because of that, Ayreon really speaks to me.

== Good to read!

I first heard of your music as a Dream Theater fan, and while looking at one of their albums one day, The Final Experiment came up as a recommendation on YouTube. I instantly fell in love with it, and from there proceeded to check out The Human Equation, which was miles beyond anything I'd listened to before!

== I'm honored...

The idea of having so many different vocalists and musicians all coming together to do such a project seems like such a difficult task, but yet listening to your albums, it seems like such a great joy to be able to work on for a living.

== Not difficult at all, quite the contrary... all these great vocalists and musicians make my work a lot easier!

Recently, I auditioned for my School's production of Into the Woods, and they wanted both an acting and musical component, so I chose to do the song Pain, and through that I managed to get the role of the narrator for the show.

== Congrats!

Your music has also inspired me to start working on more 'epic' music and get more people involved in my projects.

== Glad I've been able to inspire you.

So for all of this and more, I would like to say a great thank you.

== You're very welcome, my pleasure.

Your music is truly awesome and unique and I'm very glad that I made the choice to spend my first ever payment from a gig to buying the special edition of The Theory of Everything, it is one of my favourite possessions as a progressive fan.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.
Cael McLeish
Bunbury, Western Australia

== Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated!

PS. Please make a DVD of The Theater Equation!

== I'm working on it! It's pretty expensive, but it would be a shame not to do it :-)

Cheers,
Arjen.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1101 on: April 25, 2015, 08:56:45 AM »
It always makes me feel good seeing an artist giving such respect to his fans.   Welcome to another Aussie too  ;)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1102 on: April 25, 2015, 06:51:22 PM »
Arjen is awesome.  I sent him an email a couple of years ago, and similar to this he sent a very thoughtful reply that touched on everything I had written.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1103 on: May 23, 2015, 04:50:29 AM »
Once again i'm reminded how good sonically Victims Of The Modern Age is. Had a listen in my car today and I feel that the album shine when you blast it on speakers rather than headphones. The guitar sounds is so freakin good imo. Hearing Closer to the Stars on speakers at a good volume is epic!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1104 on: May 25, 2015, 08:28:16 PM »
Heads up, there will be a try out for the theater equation show, featuring the original band and the choir/understudies performing the whole album. Nice appetizer for the actual theater production and I love being able to see the album in regular concert form as well. I am definitely going to this  :biggrin:

https://www.bibelot.net/agenda/775/The-Theater-Equation

Also, for those going to the show (only Evermind here, I guess?), there is a forum dedicated to help you out if there are any questions or complications (travelling, accomodation etc.) https://shadowfreaks.com/forum/index.php.

Once again i'm reminded how good sonically Victims Of The Modern Age is. Had a listen in my car today and I feel that the album shine when you blast it on speakers rather than headphones. The guitar sounds is so freakin good imo. Hearing Closer to the Stars on speakers at a good volume is epic!

Agreed. His modern albums always sound so clean and clear yet bombastic/epic. And that without being overproduced/unnatural sounding or anything. VotMA rocks  :metal
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:34:06 PM by ErHaO »

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1105 on: May 25, 2015, 08:35:39 PM »
I always thought it would be cool to see The Human Equation live. This is awesome!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1106 on: May 26, 2015, 10:27:14 AM »
I always thought it would be cool to see The Human Equation live. This is awesome!

I've been spinning THE a couple of times this past week. This album aged pretty well. When it was first released, Akerfeldts vocals were a turn-off. But now that I LOVE Opeth, it's a whole different animal.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: May 26, 2015, 11:36:33 AM »
Yeah, I'll certainly look through the forum ErHaO posted. I'm most interested in the Luxor Theater description, I think I can handle travelling and accomodation.

I won't be able to visit the try-out show of course, but I also kind of don't want to. I'd like to see this show fresh and with the original singers (well, mostly), that's why I booked the first Friday show. I think I'll be avoiding this thread from 6th of September so I wouldn't get spoiled at all (I want to know if the try-out show was awesome or not though :lol )

We can also do some sort of meet-up before the main show too. ;)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1108 on: June 01, 2015, 05:17:20 AM »
Yesterday I put the storm disc of The Diary on repeat when I was travelling, great album and while it clearly has Arjen's signature songwriting/sound, I think it has a fresh feeling. The Storm/Gentle dynamic is interesting (still not sure which I like the most though, depends on my mood I guess) and Anneke's performance is great. Too bad I did not have the time to go to the live shows. But at least I will see Anneke live later on this year   ;D

As for future Arjen projects, I hope we will get some Star One goodness again before he goes the Ayreon route (since TTOE and GS:TD were more progrock and folkrock respectively and SO is more straight on metal).

Yeah, I'll certainly look through the forum ErHaO posted. I'm most interested in the Luxor Theater description, I think I can handle travelling and accomodation.

I won't be able to visit the try-out show of course, but I also kind of don't want to. I'd like to see this show fresh and with the original singers (well, mostly), that's why I booked the first Friday show. I think I'll be avoiding this thread from 6th of September so I wouldn't get spoiled at all (I want to know if the try-out show was awesome or not though :lol )

We can also do some sort of meet-up before the main show too. ;)

Yeah, I was having some second thoughts whether I wanted to keep the real-deal fresh or not, but decided to go (tickets are in!). Since it is only an hour away, about 20 euro's and features all the understudies in a small venue concert setting, it might be a cool appetizer for the show. All the vocalists on THE (and the show) have pretty distinct voices, so it is going to be interesting to hear others perform the piece. And offcourse I'll post about it here! I might try to make a decent sound bootleg, but cannot promise anything (they better make a pro-shot live recording of the full show!).

About a meet-up, that's cool. I am attending the sunday afternoon show. But I live about 20 min away from Amsterdam's centrum, so if you want to meet up before/afterwards, you are welcome! And I frequently visit/travel trough Rotterdam as well, so chances are I am close-by anyways. If you have any questions about the Netherlands, be it transport or general cultural stuff, don't hesitate to ask ;) Goes for other DTF'ers as well.

I've been spinning THE a couple of times this past week. This album aged pretty well. When it was first released, Akerfeldts vocals were a turn-off. But now that I LOVE Opeth, it's a whole different animal.

Yeah, it is a personal classic. Cannot imagine why Akerfeldts were a turnoff though, or do you specifically mean the growling? In that case, I think I would've had the same without some Opeth listening experience (but I am not too fond of growling in general, exceptions aside).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:34:51 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1109 on: June 01, 2015, 08:17:14 AM »
Checked this out the other day. I liked the gentle disc a lot but couldn't really get into the storm disc. The heavier orchestrations and distorted guitars took me out of the album at times. Some good moments there but the gentle disc was far superior IMO.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: June 01, 2015, 11:47:14 AM »
About a meet-up, that's cool. I am attending the sunday afternoon show. But I live about 20 min away from Amsterdam's centrum, so if you want to meet up before/afterwards, you are welcome! And I frequently visit/travel trough Rotterdam as well, so chances are I am close-by anyways. If you have any questions about the Netherlands, be it transport or general cultural stuff, don't hesitate to ask ;) Goes for other DTF'ers as well.

I'm attending Friday evening show, and I'm going to stay in Rotterdam for ten days, so I'm sure we'll figure something out for the meet-up. ;) After the show would be the best option to meet probably, this way we can discuss the show too without spoiling each other.

I will definitely need some advices about general cultural stuff and all that, maybe also some advices about what places to visit and so on. I'll be sure to ask some questions in a few months, probably some time at the end of August. :angel:

Checked this out the other day. I liked the gentle disc a lot but couldn't really get into the storm disc. The heavier orchestrations and distorted guitars took me out of the album at times. Some good moments there but the gentle disc was far superior IMO.

I agree, Gentle version is where it's at.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1111 on: June 30, 2015, 04:21:52 AM »
Quote from: Fan Question
Hi Arjen!, The Theater Equation will be recorded for Blu-ray?

Quote from: Arjen
I hope so, Bastian, we are working on it!

:metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1112 on: June 30, 2015, 04:42:11 AM »
Quote from: Fan Question
Hi Arjen!, The Theater Equation will be recorded for Blu-ray?

Quote from: Arjen
I hope so, Bastian, we are working on it!

:metal

Oh.  Hell.  Yes!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1113 on: July 19, 2015, 08:06:09 PM »
Don't know if you guys are aware of this:

https://omegataupodcast.net/2014/02/142-making-ayreons-music/
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1114 on: July 21, 2015, 10:45:45 AM »
Don't know if you guys are aware of this:

https://omegataupodcast.net/2014/02/142-making-ayreons-music/
That's cool, will check it out.

Quote from: Arjen on facebook
As always I’m curious to your thoughts... which WELL-KNOWN singer would you most like to hear on a new album of mine? It’s okay if I already worked with him/her. ONLY ONE NAME please, thanks!
I would love to see a collab with Bruce Dickinson again or Tony Martin. I think i'm ready for a new Star One.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: July 21, 2015, 11:25:07 AM »
I think i'm ready for a new Star One.

I don't have to think, I KNOW I'm ready.  Two of my fave albums of all time.  Though, I wouldn't want the lineup to change - those four are magic together.

I voted Todd LaTorre... but really, there's an endless list of vocalists I'd love to see him work with - Rick Altzi, Andy Kuntz, Ted Leonard, Michael Eriksen come to mind.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1116 on: July 21, 2015, 11:29:24 AM »
So many names I wanted to list but since i had to go with one, I picked Sebastian Bach. His vocals on Frameshift are nothing short of amazing.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1117 on: July 24, 2015, 11:38:28 AM »
So many names I wanted to list but since i had to go with one, I picked Sebastian Bach. His vocals on Frameshift are nothing short of amazing.

Speaking of Frameshift. What's up with that? Two great albums and then gone.

As far as Star One goes, I only have on of the albums. They are hard to track down with spending a huge amount of money.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1118 on: July 24, 2015, 11:42:26 AM »
/off

From my emails with Henning.

I’d also have a blast finishing the album with Adrian, no doubt. FS3 is completely finished and rocking’ and the 4th one with Adrian would be killer…

I have all that stuff sitting here, but no label giving me any money for it… I want peanuts… next to nothing…. but no interest… but I do need something… this stuff is worth money and I don’t see the point in releasing it only for the „fans“ to download it for free and share it like it belongs to them… this is my job and I need to make a living with it.

So… I don’t know if, how and when this music will ever be released… I just need a few bucks for it to send it out into the world !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rRrHd_8L_8 His YT channel has a lot of cool vids, demos and "tutorials".

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1119 on: July 24, 2015, 12:03:45 PM »
re: Henning and FS/3 - which was at first titled The God Delusion, but I think that is his goal for FS/4.  FS/3 is actually titled Loading Oakfield.  I remember him saying what you've quoted above about 3 years ago, when he actually shared a copy of the album (which I still have).  It's good, but not nearly as good as either of the first two.  Henning seems completely ambivalent to releasing his music nowadays, focused on other things.

Back on Arjen... it'll be interesting to see the results of his little FB poll - and what he intends to do with it.