Author Topic: Kamelot  (Read 149818 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Kamelot
« Reply #875 on: February 06, 2018, 09:25:57 AM »
Not too shocking.

Glad it seems to have been on very good terms. Sad the new tour won’t be with him....I think? I hope it is.

Yes, this is very cool, like it was with Kiko when he left Angra for Megadeth. In this case, I had the clear impression that Angra was happy not only for Kiko, but that brought more visibility also for them. I guess this is easier to happen when someone trade its band for a bigger band, where it's possible to make a living only touring and recording with the band. It's really a great professional opportunity that goes beyond someone's wish to stay in its original band.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #876 on: February 06, 2018, 09:30:14 AM »
While I don't think Kamelot will ever return to the level of awesome of the Fourth Legacy - The Black Halo run, I do hold Silverthorn & Haven in much higher regard than Ghost Opera and Poetry for the Poisoned. I expect The Shadow Theory to be very similar to the previous two albums, but that is by no means a bad thing!

Those two are miles better than Khan's last two.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #877 on: February 06, 2018, 09:34:30 AM »
While I don't think Kamelot will ever return to the level of awesome of the Fourth Legacy - The Black Halo run, I do hold Silverthorn & Haven in much higher regard than Ghost Opera and Poetry for the Poisoned. I expect The Shadow Theory to be very similar to the previous two albums, but that is by no means a bad thing!

Those two are miles better than Khan's last two.

Yea, very much so.  I do think there is something to "kamelot by the numbers" though.  It hasn't prevented me from enjoying their music or concerts, but kind of in that they don't really perform different songs anymore and their albums are becoming more generic. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #878 on: February 06, 2018, 09:37:14 AM »
Poetry rules and all of you know it.  I'm gonna go play Zodiac  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: February 06, 2018, 09:39:02 AM »

I do like Zodiac, and TGP, and Hunter's Season. But by and large, the rest is pretty forgettable.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #880 on: February 06, 2018, 09:40:09 AM »
Not too shocking.

Glad it seems to have been on very good terms. Sad the new tour won’t be with him....I think? I hope it is.

Yes, this is very cool, like it was with Kiko when he left Angra for Megadeth. In this case, I had the clear impression that Angra was happy not only for Kiko, but that brought more visibility also for them. I guess this is easier to happen when someone trade its band for a bigger band, where it's possible to make a living only touring and recording with the band. It's really a great professional opportunity that goes beyond someone's wish to stay in its original band.

Is Casey moving to a bigger band? in name status, sure, but in cold reality? they're doing small tours, mostly fly-ins during weekends, and sticking to the "greatest hits" short-ish sets, while Kamelot are doing album after album touring the world.  Maybe that's precisely the point, QR don't tour as much anymore and that leaves him more time for other business stuff, while still playing a band that, at least by name, has a huge history.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: February 06, 2018, 09:42:58 AM »
Yea, If he does indeed become Queensyrche's new drummer, that is still going to be less work than Kamelot who consistently tour the world.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #882 on: February 06, 2018, 09:43:56 AM »

I do like Zodiac, and TGP, and Hunter's Season. But by and large, the rest is pretty forgettable.

Nobody ever talks about So Long or If Tomorrow Came or Once Upon A Time or Seal of Woven Years. I'll go back to my Poetry corner and wallow  :|  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #883 on: February 06, 2018, 09:45:34 AM »
So Long is my favorite track on the album, and Once Upon a Time is a good power metal song.  That still doesn't mean it's a good album  :biggrin:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #884 on: February 06, 2018, 09:47:39 AM »
Grumble grumble ya'll don't know good music grumble grumble  :lol  :lol

kidding : )

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: February 06, 2018, 09:50:00 AM »
Yeah, So Long does stand out from the rest of the title track. Best part of it for sure.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #886 on: February 06, 2018, 10:18:07 AM »
Is Casey moving to a bigger band? in name status, sure, but in cold reality? they're doing small tours, mostly fly-ins during weekends, and sticking to the "greatest hits" short-ish sets, while Kamelot are doing album after album touring the world.  Maybe that's precisely the point, QR don't tour as much anymore and that leaves him more time for other business stuff, while still playing a band that, at least by name, has a huge history.

Maybe that's it. I didn't know that Kamelot was a much more known band. I've only heard from them by now with Casey in Queensryche!  :biggrin: But this is just my ignorance, for sure.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #887 on: February 06, 2018, 10:27:40 AM »
Nobody ever talks about So Long or If Tomorrow Came or Once Upon A Time or Seal of Woven Years.

Ya think maybe there's a reason for that?  :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: February 06, 2018, 10:35:02 AM »
Cause they're so good they speak for themselves? Yeah I thought so too :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #889 on: February 06, 2018, 12:11:12 PM »

Apparently not, because you're speaking for them.  :neverusethis:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: February 06, 2018, 12:26:49 PM »

Apparently not, because you're speaking for them.  :neverusethis:

Yeah well... shut up  :biggrin:  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #891 on: February 06, 2018, 09:56:56 PM »
Hey you're not wrong. :) I like both Poetry and Ghost Opera better than the new stuff (and I guess better than the old stuff too).

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #892 on: February 06, 2018, 10:37:16 PM »
Just got tickets to the LA show. Woooo!

Curious to see the new guy's stage presence.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #893 on: February 07, 2018, 01:10:10 AM »
Curious to see the new guy's stage presence.

He's great! I walked away from the concert totally happy, they managed the impossible: replacing an irreplaceable singer.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #894 on: February 07, 2018, 05:31:08 AM »
New guy? you mean the drummer?  Tommy isn't exactly new anymore

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #895 on: February 07, 2018, 07:54:51 AM »
Hey you're not wrong. :) I like both Poetry and Ghost Opera better than the new stuff (and I guess better than the old stuff too).

Great minds think alike! :) :)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #896 on: February 07, 2018, 08:15:12 AM »

Yea. Meant the drummer.

Already saw Tommy live with them. He is awesome. 
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: February 07, 2018, 08:31:38 AM »

Yea. Meant the drummer.

First time I saw Tommy live was right after he joined, on the Silverthorn tour - I believe it was opening for Nightwish actually - and he had a cold. You'd never have known. Guy's voice was on another level - he did this extended solo singing spot with Forever, I think, and boy did the girls in the crowd swoon  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #898 on: February 07, 2018, 08:36:21 AM »
The first time I actually saw him, he was a backup singer while Fabio Lione was fronting the band. He sang EdenEcho by himself, and after the show (and tour) when the speculation on the new singer was rampant, I was rooting for him. I was so happy to find out he actually got the gig!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: February 07, 2018, 08:42:15 AM »

Yea. Meant the drummer.

First time I saw Tommy live was right after he joined, on the Silverthorn tour - I believe it was opening for Nightwish actually - and he had a cold. You'd never have known. Guy's voice was on another level - he did this extended solo singing spot with Forever, I think, and boy did the girls in the crowd swoon  :lol

I saw them on this tour as well and while Nightwish was performing Slow Love Slow, I went to get a drink and the bar was empty except for Thomas and Sean who were talking to a handicapped person.  I couldn't stop telling Thomas how happy I was that they found Tommy.  He was very happy for my excitement  :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: February 11, 2018, 05:56:49 PM »
I think I'm with the minority on Kamelot Fav's.  When I first got into them a few years ago the concensous was the best albums were Black Halo and the albums before.  With very little love going to the Post- BH albums.  I prefer by far BH , Ghost Opera and Poetry.  Matter of fact, I think GO and PFTP are my favorite Kamelot albums.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #901 on: February 11, 2018, 06:12:20 PM »
I think I'm with the minority on Kamelot Fav's.  When I first got into them a few years ago the concensous was the best albums were Black Halo and the albums before.  With very little love going to the Post- BH albums.  I prefer by far BH , Ghost Opera and Poetry.  Matter of fact, I think GO and PFTP are my favorite Kamelot albums.

I haven't heard any full album past Ghost Opera. They just fell off my radar. I do enjoy Ghost Opera a lot, plus The Black Halo and Epica. Karma has my favorite songs in Forever and Elizabeth.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: February 11, 2018, 06:26:53 PM »
I'd bet money that Black Halo is still considered the peak by the vast majority of Kamelot listeners/fans. That's always been my perception. CrimsonSunrise, you got good taste liking Poetry and Ghost Opera so much  ;)  :biggrin:

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #903 on: March 02, 2018, 08:17:30 AM »
New Kamelot

https://loudwire.com/kamelot-ravenlight-the-shadow-theory-song/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKrMeeTlfc - Ravenlight lyric video

I think I like it more than most of the stuff on Haven.  It's a little reminiscent of Insomnia with the stop/start riffing, but slower and not as hard-hitting.  Feels more like older Kamelot to me, which is good. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #904 on: March 02, 2018, 08:30:02 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Kamelot fans are bound to prefer the newer, Tommy fronted albums over their classics. At least here they draw bigger crowds than before and most of the folks are quite young. Liar Liar is also their best viewed clip on youtube by a good margin, and is one of their newer ones.

Anyways, new song is solid. Looling forward to the album!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #905 on: March 02, 2018, 08:35:57 AM »
I think Kamelot have simply evolved. They were once a power metal band, with "positive" and "upliftiing" melodies, and lyrical subject often rooted in fantasy. They eventually shifted towards a more symphonic, "goth" and darker approach, which is more aligned with the current tastes of the general public.

I still like them and Tommy is an awesome singer, I consider Haven a fantastic album, but the earlier Khan albums were a bit more "magical" and unique, different from the rest for me. There is a massive load of wonderful songs from The Black Halo onwards, but the Siege Perilous - Fourth Legacy - Karma - Epica string of albums will forever be unparalled to me.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #906 on: March 02, 2018, 08:41:30 AM »
Yea, they've certainly progressed in style.

This song sounds like a continuation of the Haven sound though.  I like it.  I liked Haven too though.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: March 02, 2018, 08:46:06 AM »
I'm not feeling this one at all. It sounds like Kamelot's been in a rut since Silverthorn and this is just more of the same right down to the art style. I'll stop raining on the parade but I'm just really disappointed in how far this band's dropped for me over the last few albums... I'll still buy this in the hopes that there's a few surprises on there.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #908 on: March 02, 2018, 08:48:33 AM »
wash. rinse. repeat.

or if you prefer....

copy/paste.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #909 on: March 02, 2018, 12:02:09 PM »
Wow, I didn't like this song at all to be honest. I loved Silverthorn and thought Haven was pretty mediocre and this song sounds like it's a continuation from Haven. I think I'll listen to the album before I decide to buy a physical copy.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.