Author Topic: Kamelot  (Read 150109 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Kamelot
« Reply #805 on: February 19, 2017, 03:37:54 AM »
Karma was my first, then I worked backwards. I have to say I enjoyed them more when they were less serious sounding. Khan and Tommy are great singers.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #806 on: June 09, 2017, 08:15:44 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: June 09, 2017, 08:24:12 AM »
4/20 I will be there, that's a sick show although they've toured together relatively recently.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: January 19, 2018, 11:54:01 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/kamelotofficial/photos/a.125526028002.104540.77696833002/10155468846988003/?type=3&theater

KAMELOT UNVEILS TITLE OF UPCOMING ALBUM,
ANNOUNCE FIRST EUROPEAN SHOWS!

KAMELOT are set to release a brand new masterpiece in 2018 and now the band has unveiled the album’s title: THE SHADOW THEORY.

"The Shadow Theory" is coming this Spring on Napalm Records!

The new album features all the signature elements of KAMELOT and also sees the band step out to add new and industrial elements along while combining amazing emotions that harken to the band's earlier days. KAMELOT’s epic music is chock full of symbolism relating to how the band feels about the world and the current state of civilization. More news and details regarding The Shadow Theory will be made available soon - cover reveal next week!

Following the release of The Shadow Theory, KAMELOT will embarque on a massive World Tour, starting in North America during April/May 2018 followed by European shows in Summer 2018. The band will return to Europe in September/October 2018 for their biggest headliner tour to date.

Today the very first show of the upcoming The Shadow Tour have been announced! Grab your tickets now, as pre-sales are up and running!

KAMELOT NORTH AMERICA 2018
Sp. Guests Delain and Battle Beast
GO TO www.kamelot.com/site/tour or FB event page

Festivals:
12 Jul 2018 Vizovice, CZ @Masters of Rock
08 Aug 2018 Villena, ES @Leyendas del Rock Festival
10 Aug 2018 Derbyshire, UK @Bloodstock Open Air Festival
GO TO www.kamelot.com/site/tour or FB event page

THE SHADOW TOUR 2018
14.09.18 NL – Tilburg / 013 https://bit.ly/ticketsKAMELOTtilburg2018
22.09.18 NO – Oslo / Sentrum Scene https://bit.ly/tixKAMELOToslo2018

more dates to be announced, stay tuned!! *album cover reveal soon!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: January 19, 2018, 12:03:24 PM »
Just saw that as well  :metal :metal

They also announced this yesterday on facebook

Dear fans,
We're very happy to share that we have an agreement for the next BlueRay/DVD!! Filming will be done on the entire tour throughout North America, Europe, Japan and more, so say hi to the cameras!

I'm pretty excited for the tour coming up in a few months and the album, but I am a bit interested in what they mean by the new industrial elements. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #810 on: January 19, 2018, 12:16:56 PM »
'Industrial' concerns me. I don't like industrial. I also haven't liked their last two albums. Ghost Opera through Poetry was the peak for me - after Khan left something in the band changed. It's not Tommy, just so I'm clear. Not much on the last 2 have clicked with me. I hope they ditch 'concept' for this album. The last two stories were dull as rocks.

The artwork isn't bad but it's... predictably Kamelot? Dark, with some Victorian elegance, not much color. Yawn.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #811 on: January 19, 2018, 12:20:05 PM »
'Industrial' concerns me. I don't like industrial. I also haven't liked their last two albums. Ghost Opera through Poetry was the peak for me - after Khan left something in the band changed. It's not Tommy, just so I'm clear. Not much on the last 2 have clicked with me. I hope they ditch 'concept' for this album. The last two stories were dull as rocks.

The artwork isn't bad but it's... predictably Kamelot? Dark, with some Victorian elegance, not much color. Yawn.
That's, like, the opposite to me. :lol Karma through to Black Halo was the peak IMO, Ghost Opera and Poetry good but much weaker, Silverthorn a slight improvement, and then Haven a strong return to form.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #812 on: January 19, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »
That's, like, the opposite to me. :lol Karma through to Black Halo was the peak IMO, Ghost Opera and Poetry good but much weaker, Silverthorn a slight improvement, and then Haven a strong return to form.

Essentially all of this. But I include The Fourth Legacy in the string of fantastic albums.

I'm too worried about the "industrial" part, I hope it's done well. Apples and oranges but when Alice Cooper went "industrial", he released one of his best albums, Brutal Planet. I hope it's gonna be a similar situation with this one.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: January 19, 2018, 12:26:13 PM »
I kind of have a feeling the whole album will be predictably Kamelot at the end of the day.  I wonder if Industrial means more of Ghost Opera sounding, or if they are really going to add a new sound.  I really love Tommy and the last two albums, but the music has changed since Roy left.

Also, saw they announced one guest vocalist already, Jennifer Haben from Beyond the Black.  I'm not familiar with them, gave a listen and they aren't too bad.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: January 19, 2018, 12:35:00 PM »

I harp on it a lot but I really think Ghost Opera was where the band hit their stride, and Poetry is where they reached their peak. I feel like they were getting better and better with each album until Khan left, then it all went downhill. (Oliver's side project Sons of Seasons - their second album, Magnisphyricon, I enjoy way more than the last two from Kamelot, although it has its own problems)

That said, I've never seen Kamelot with Roy. I had tickets to for the Poetry tour but then they canceled after Roy left and I saw them later with Fabio, and then three times (I think?) with Tommy. That guy is extraordinary live. Has all the finesse you hear on the records, with even more power. On the first leg of the Haven tour they played Revolution, and it's so buried in the record mix, but live he screamed 'REVOLUTIOOOON!' so loudly and I think that's when I developed a mancrush on him.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: January 19, 2018, 12:46:59 PM »
I also had tickets to see them right before Roy quit, I remember they immediately said the tour was going to happen, I think with Michael from Circus Maximus, but then shortly after cancelled.  I was so upset Roy left.  Then seen them a bunch with Tommy now.  Really good live band, but I'm with Ariich in that GO and PftP was downhill for the band musically, but recovered a bit with Tommy.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #816 on: January 19, 2018, 12:59:05 PM »
Not expecting anything great, but will hopefully be good standard modern Kamelot.

I really loved 4th Legacy - Black Halo.

Poetry and Poison were okay, but not great.

I thought Silverthorn was a great return to form.

Haven was okay but felt very rushed and half-baked.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: January 19, 2018, 01:07:06 PM »
I think ya'll need to listen to Poetry a couple hundred more times.  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: January 19, 2018, 01:29:39 PM »
I guess this increases the likelihood of me going to the show by about 100x.

I'm more on the ariich side of things too... but really, even "bad" Kamelot is pretty good.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #819 on: January 19, 2018, 01:30:45 PM »

It's alright. Pandemonium is cool. Hunter's Season is good. Seal of Woven Years is good. Title track isn't bad (but shouldn't be four tracks).

The rest? Meh. Just very bland.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: January 19, 2018, 01:32:45 PM »

It's alright. Pandemonium is cool. Hunter's Season is good. Seal of Woven Years is good. Title track isn't bad (but shouldn't be four tracks).

The rest? Meh. Just very bland.

Bingo, there's a few good tracks, but the overall feel for the album is boring.  I had this same feeling since day 1 and I've listened to it so many times and still am not able to really dig it besides some songs and moments here and there.  I don't think my opinion will change at this point.  It's my least favorite of theirs since 4th Legacy and it's not even close.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: January 19, 2018, 01:36:57 PM »
We can at least agree it's better than the first two albums... right? Right?!  :|

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: January 19, 2018, 01:52:33 PM »
 :lol yea, I'd say first 3

Offline Adami

« Reply #823 on: January 19, 2018, 03:14:11 PM »
Siege is pretty good actually. Just a bit sterile and bland.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: January 19, 2018, 03:16:44 PM »
I often forget Siége Perilous even exists. I only just noticed the accent over the e, too.  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #825 on: January 19, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »
There are three absolute wonderful songs on Siege Perilous (Providence, King's Eyes, Where I Reign) who have the bad luck of being on the "forgotten" Khan album. Take the three worst songs off The Fourth Legacy (if there is even such a thing as three bad songs on that record) and put these in, and you have an album that rivals up with Karma and Epica.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: January 19, 2018, 11:25:54 PM »
Havent liked anything since Tommy joined but yeah, its not him I think. I will give this a listen but not expecting much.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 02:06:18 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #827 on: January 20, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »
For some reason, I just can't get into the new singer. His range is impressive but his voice does absolutely nothing for me. I find it incredibly bland and unremarkable.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: January 20, 2018, 03:05:09 PM »
For some reason, I just can't get into the new singer. His range is impressive but his voice does absolutely nothing for me. I find it incredibly bland and unremarkable.

That's not something I've heard anyone use to describe Tommy's voice.   :o

Offline T-ski

« Reply #829 on: January 20, 2018, 05:26:57 PM »
I gave up after Black Halo.

I'll give it a try though.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #830 on: January 21, 2018, 12:07:20 PM »
Take the three worst songs off The Fourth Legacy (if there is even such a thing as three bad songs on that record) and put these in, and you have an album that rivals up with Karma and Epica.

But it already rivals up those two album as it is  :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm pretty hyped for this. I loved Haven (it might in my top three kamelot album) so I'm really looking forward to the new album.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: January 25, 2018, 08:36:47 AM »
Short 30 second teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImkLcuSHEKk

Sounds fine, but can't judge much from it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: January 25, 2018, 09:19:36 AM »
Not much to judge by, but from what there is... it both looks and sounds safe as heck. They haven't gone out of their comfort zone in over 10 years. Wish they'd try something new, but I'll still be picking up the album. Hope the singles, whenever they come out, are something fresh!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: January 25, 2018, 09:49:44 AM »
April 6th is the release date, which is awesome because thats two weeks before I see them so unlike last time, I'll know the new songs before they perform them. I remember I had video the entire "Revolution" track before they released the album and got a nasty gram from them after I uploaded it to youtube  :lol That was the only time I've ever had a video taken down and I understand why, but I am glad I'll know the music first.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/kamelot-the-shadow-theory-cover-artwork-release-date-unveiled/

Guests on the album include Lauren Hart (ONCE HUMAN), Jennifer Haben (BEYOND THE BLACK) and Sascha Paeth.

I guess they aren't using any of their old guests which could be refreshing, but damn do I miss Elize and Simone being part of the Kamelot family.  Seems all the ladies go on to bigger and better things after being guests for Kamelot so maybe these new ladies have a nice stepping stone for their bands.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: January 25, 2018, 11:10:23 AM »
The trailer sounds extremely meh, to be honest. I wasn't a big fan of Haven—there are some good songs, but the album ended up being more a miss than a hit for me—and for some reason it seems to me that this one is going even more in that direction. That, and the "industrial" bit in the description... I think I'll check this album out before I buy the CD.

In fact, out of the last four Kamelot albums from Ghost Opera to Haven, the only one I spin more or less regularly is Silverthorn.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Adami

« Reply #835 on: January 25, 2018, 11:26:18 AM »
The trailer sounds extremely meh, to be honest. I wasn't a big fan of Haven—there are some good songs, but the album ended up being more a miss than a hit for me—and for some reason it seems to me that this one is going even more in that direction. That, and the "industrial" bit in the description... I think I'll check this album out before I buy the CD.

In fact, out of the last four Kamelot albums from Ghost Opera to Haven, the only one I spin more or less regularly is Silverthorn.

Same here, but I like the idea of industrial, even if they don't like do it the way I'm imagining it.

Kamelot aren't great at sounding super dark. Yet for some reason they are very dedicated to that mood. Not sure why.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #836 on: January 25, 2018, 01:21:46 PM »
I'll echo what some have said already, 4th Legacy through Black Halo is stellar. After that they lost me. I've had opportunities to see them since and have passed because of how downhill they went. And although I love Khan, Tommy is also fantastic and I don't blame him at all, just poorer all around songwriting in recent years. New tour hits NYC and not Philly, which means my chances of seeing them dips from probably not to almost certainly not.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: January 25, 2018, 04:02:36 PM »
The vocal section of that clip seems pretty generic and nothing special but the section after it, the last 10 seconds or so seems quite different and sparks my interest.

Offline Adami

« Reply #838 on: January 25, 2018, 04:04:43 PM »
The vocal section of that clip seems pretty generic and nothing special but the section after it, the last 10 seconds or so seems quite different and sparks my interest.

Hah I thought the opposite. Liked the vocal section, though it wasn't really special, and the 10 seconds after was just generic modern monotone Kamelot. I was waiting for some big layers or something and nothing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: January 25, 2018, 04:08:25 PM »

Hah I thought the opposite. Liked the vocal section, though it wasn't really special, and the 10 seconds after was just generic modern monotone Kamelot. I was waiting for some big layers or something and nothing.

I guess in that I can hear the industrial style they were talking about, and it's a bit heavier which suits me.