Author Topic: Kamelot  (Read 150248 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kamelot
« Reply #770 on: November 19, 2015, 07:20:04 AM »
Met and Greeted Kamelot last night in Silver Spring, MD. Then took in an incredible show from the front row. This was my fourth time seeing them live, an the first time seeing them with Tommy in the band, and he was outstanding. Pretty killer setlist, even if it hasn't changed much. Had a blast!  Dragonforce was fun and energetic as openers.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #771 on: November 19, 2015, 08:38:17 AM »
Sounds like an awesome experience DoC!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #772 on: November 19, 2015, 09:12:55 AM »
Awesome!  I am going on Saturday which is great because the venue is close to home.  Really wish they would do more with the setlist though.  This will also be my 4th time seeing them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: November 23, 2015, 08:39:22 AM »
Saturday night was a lot of fun!  Not sure what was up, but I managed to spot on social media that Kamelot was not going on until 10:45pm, and in reality they didn't start until 11pm.  I think that is the latest for a headliner in a long time that I've gone to concerts.  Regardless, they didn't play a short set so that was all cool. 

What made this concert really special for me, it was my 4th time seeing Kamelot, was the venue.  They played a small club near my house.  It's a really awesome spot to see a concert and there is a "secret" I guess you can say, of that there is no real back door to get to the back stage from the stage so the venue sets up a temporary barrier to blockl off the side of the stage for the band to come on/off and use the side door to get to the bathrooom (for public) or backstage for the band.  Well my date needed to go to the bathroom after Dragonforce was just finished up and we noticed this set up and while standing there, I managed to shake hands with everyone of Dragonforce as they were getting backstage.

It was like a revelation, I need to chill here.  I snapped a picture of some guy next to me (and that was it, like no one else was chilling agains this barrier) with the keyboardist of Dragonforce.  I snapped a really awesome pic of them, I am proud of that.  Anyway, I chilled in this spot and got to give hi fives to Kamelot right before they came on and then right before they finished the encore, went back to the spot and got hand shakes with everyone of them including telling Tommy I loved him and telling Oliver to "drink that shit" as he walked off stage holding both a beer and a shot in one hand.  Kobra also gave some special attention to my date as she walked off saying a few kind words to each other.  That made the night so memorable.

As for the performance, it was pretty good but they do not change the sets around enough.  Only two different songs from last time seeing them.

And here is my video of March of Mephisto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyPrI_-CSp4

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #774 on: November 23, 2015, 09:15:09 AM »
Thats awesome...

Reminds me of this venue here called The Launchpad. It's a small stage and pretty small but damn it's intimate.  The bar is in the front, and in the back is the stage area. The bands have a back door by the stage and thats it. If they need to potty they have to use the one we all use. It's also cool that bands like to hangout at the bar before or after their set. I've met,  Protest The Hero, Battlecross, The Contortionist, Animals as Leaders, IWrestledabearonce, and many others.

If only Kamelot could play there, but I doubt it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #775 on: December 02, 2015, 03:45:06 PM »
I've been listening to a lot of Kamelot recently, and Prodigal Son is fast avancing to one of my favourite songs of theirs. Everything about that song is just magical.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: December 02, 2015, 03:46:47 PM »
I've been listening to a lot of Kamelot recently, and Prodigal Son is fast avancing to one of my favourite songs of theirs. Everything about that song is just magical.

It would be nice if they played some more of these type of songs live.  While not my favorite, it certainly is a solid song. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #777 on: January 14, 2016, 11:42:11 AM »
I've created a central thread for an upcoming Kamelot Survivor. Obviously, I'm hoping to get some of you fans of the band voting in it and discussing the songs along the way.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45539

If you're planning on participating, please head to the thread and kindly answer some questions I've posted there to help me determine how the whole thing will be organized. See you there! :tup

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: January 21, 2016, 10:27:05 AM »
Alright guys, one more shameless bump and then I'll be out. The Survivor has begun, feel free to participate if you feel like it. All links to the threads are in my signature.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #779 on: March 23, 2016, 04:34:05 PM »
So I listened to Haven again, and it was a lot better than I remember it being. Tommy does a great job and some songs that I remember leaving me cold previously have clicked for me, like My Therapy, Liar Liar and Revolution (that bridge... goosebumps guaranteed!). The only song that I'm not really a fan of yet is Beautiful Apocalypse, I like the intro but then it just becomes kinda forgettable.

What are your thoughts about Haven after it being out for quite a while now?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #780 on: March 23, 2016, 04:44:40 PM »
Really liked it when it came out, still really like it now.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #781 on: March 23, 2016, 04:47:08 PM »
It's okay. Not bad at all, but not really that great. I was really impressed by Silverthorn, and I think they sound a bit uninspired on this album, mostly musically.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #782 on: March 23, 2016, 05:02:07 PM »
The only song I really don't care for is Revolution. Otherwise it's a great album. I haven't listened to it in a while. Gonna change that.

Online Adami

« Reply #783 on: March 23, 2016, 05:06:31 PM »
The only song I really don't care for is Revolution. Otherwise it's a great album. I haven't listened to it in a while. Gonna change that.

I like that song actually. However, every time he and sexy blue hair girl go back and forth with the word revolution, I wait for Rob Halford to show up and do his REVOLUTIOOONNNNN scream.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #784 on: March 23, 2016, 05:09:25 PM »

I like that song actually. However, every time he and sexy blue hair girl go back and forth with the word revolution, I wait for Rob Halford to show up and do his REVOLUTIOOONNNNN scream.

Still haven't learned her name, eh?

Online Adami

« Reply #785 on: March 23, 2016, 05:10:08 PM »

Future Mrs. Adami.

See? I learned it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #786 on: March 23, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »

Future Mrs. Adami.

See? I learned it.

Oh you.

Offline 425

« Reply #787 on: March 23, 2016, 06:36:59 PM »

I also think that this album is really good, but that Revolution is noticeably weaker than the rest. That song just doesn't quite seem like it knows what it wants to be. It has some good parts but it doesn't completely come together.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: March 23, 2016, 10:32:36 PM »
It's okay. Not bad at all, but not really that great. I was really impressed by Silverthorn, and I think they sound a bit uninspired on this album, mostly musically.

This.

Beautiful Apocalypse and Revolution are my least favourite songs here.

Offline 425

« Reply #789 on: March 23, 2016, 11:06:00 PM »
I think I would agree with those two. I think there are a lot of good songs, some decent songs, and Revolution which is pretty weak. Beautiful Apocalypse would definitely fall into the decent category.

It's not like The Black Halo where I feel overwhelmed by great songs that I have no idea how to pick out my favorites, but it definitely holds my attention all the way through and has some stuff I like quite a bit. The first three songs and My Therapy are all really good IMO.

Btw, Evermind, I did get your PM and I do plan to vote in the Epica survivor... just need to listen to at least the interludes again before I vote in round 1.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: March 24, 2016, 05:33:46 AM »
The last three tracks on Haven kind of kill it for me.  Otherwise I really enjoy it.  Even though I'm not a Revolution fan, I do wish to see them make a video for it to finish the trilogy of Insomnia, Liar Liar, and then Revolution with the videos.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #791 on: March 24, 2016, 08:37:34 AM »
Was one of my top AOTY last year.  Not a song on the album that I don't like.  Liar Liar is/was so infectious, I think I might have given it the nod as my song of the year.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: March 24, 2016, 08:58:09 AM »
Was one of my top AOTY last year.  Not a song on the album that I don't like.  Liar Liar is/was so infectious, I think I might have given it the nod as my song of the year.

Liar Liar was the standout track for me since day one. However, I hated the video and the shortened version that came with it. Also hate that this shortened version is what they played live when I saw them on this past leg.

Top 3 for me are Liar Liar, Veil & Citizen.  Least favorite is Beautiful.... could never get into that one. But all in all, a very solid album that has stood the test of time.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #793 on: April 29, 2016, 11:16:27 AM »
Saw them live again last week, in Zwolle. They were on fire  :metal

This was the fourth time I saw them and the setlist was largely the same as the last time, but I was still pumped, moreso than the last two shows actually. The crowd was great and loud, from front to back, and the band was really enthusiastic and attentive. Not that they weren't the last two times, but this time the vibe was even better. Maybe also because the sound was a lot better than the last two shows. Karevik keeps growing as a front man, and the vocals were, again, fantastic. Not sure if I like the female vocals of Kobra though. She was very low in the mix and didn't convince me. Also, a little surprise with the acoustic version of End of Innocence, which was flawed but a nice present to the Dutch crowd nonetheless. The crowd finally joined in at the last chorus, which was nice. Liar Liar and Revolution work really well live. And I could clearly hear people singing along with Veil of Elysium.

Having Serenity as the opener helped too, I think. I can recommend that band to Kamelot fans. I was pleasantly surprised Serenity did their vocal harmonies live with two singers (male and female) and the whole band singing with them. Great live act. These guys should tour together for a longer period.

Kamelot said they will be here again very soon and I won't hesitate to buy tickets, even knowing the setlist probably won't differ a lot.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: April 29, 2016, 11:33:58 AM »
Really cool to hear that. I have the information they're currently trying to book the tour in Russia and I damn well hope they succeed. I could use some Kamelot live shows in my life.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: April 29, 2016, 11:41:01 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Kobra's vocals either.  She is hot, but her singing is not.  She was nice though, shook her hand and she stopped to say some nice words to my female friend and also liked my video on instagram.  Also saw they played My Therapy, which is awesome.  I really wish they would spice up the setlists more.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #796 on: April 29, 2016, 01:42:14 PM »
Having Serenity as the opener helped too, I think. I can recommend that band to Kamelot fans. I was pleasantly surprised Serenity did their vocal harmonies live with two singers (male and female) and the whole band singing with them. Great live act. These guys should tour together for a longer period.

Very jelly.  Serenity is one of my top-5 new (to me) bands from the past few years.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: May 03, 2016, 09:00:41 AM »
new music video for My Therapy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGP13JaM0RU

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: May 03, 2016, 09:10:43 AM »
new music video for My Therapy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGP13JaM0RU

Apr 18 isn't exactly new. But it does seem to have low views? was it hidden all this time?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: May 03, 2016, 09:13:12 AM »
From Kamelot's facebook 31 minutes ago:

KAMELOT – Music Video Premiere For Track “My Therapy”!
▶ Watch it HERE: https://smarturl.it/MyTherapy-Video
‪#‎KAMELOT‬ just returned from some exclusive European and SOLD OUT shows and they are now ready to unleash their brand new music video for the track ‪#‎MYTHERAPY‬ taken from their latest masterpiece HAVEN (2015, Napalm Records).
KAMELOT's new video “My Therapy” is intended to shine a spotlight on social anxiety that effects up to 20% of adults worldwide.
KAMELOT vocalist Tommy Karevik adds:
"The original idea of the song was based on experiments done years ago on children where they would be clinically taken care of, but never held, loved or nurtured. The outcome was disastrous and proves that in this sometimes complicated world spinning faster and faster, the very foundation of our health and well being really rests upon something very simple and uncomplicated... The human touch..."
▶ Watch “My Therapy” HERE: https://smarturl.it/MyTherapy-Video
The latest album Haven sees symphonic metal masters KAMELOT striving for new heights with their epic and highly emotional trademark sound: As if this album was meant to be a soundtrack for an unforgettable and monumental silver screen experience, it boasts dark melancholy, aggressive metal and soul-soothing melodies!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: August 10, 2016, 02:02:09 AM »
Being fairly new to Kamelot, 2-3 years, I've been digesting the discography very slowly.  In the last 6 months I've really been digging Ghost Opera and Poetry for the Poisoned.  I think they are both very good albums.  Khan is just a spectacular vocalist.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: August 10, 2016, 05:56:19 AM »
Being fairly new to Kamelot, 2-3 years, I've been digesting the discography very slowly.  In the last 6 months I've really been digging Ghost Opera and Poetry for the Poisoned.  I think they are both very good albums.  Khan is just a spectacular vocalist.

Have you made your way back to the Fourth Legacy through to The Black Halo yet?  If you like those two you mentioned, you're in for a real treat.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: August 10, 2016, 06:26:55 AM »

Have you made your way back to the Fourth Legacy through to The Black Halo yet?  If you like those two you mentioned, you're in for a real treat.

Black Halo was my first album...AWESOME!!!!!  I have the 4th Legacy.  My initial listens....It doesn't really grab hold of me.  That being said, Poetry for the Poisened didn't grab me initially either, but know it's got me :)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: August 10, 2016, 06:40:23 AM »
I discovered Kamelot in 2000 when my brother, who was in the military at the time, bought online and accidentally had  the Fourth Legacy shipped home instead of where he was stationed. Instead of forwarding it to him,  I opened it up and listened to it for myself. I was blown away, and was lucky enough to listen to all the albums in order after that one.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #804 on: February 18, 2017, 09:28:34 PM »
So in my typical fashion, I only got around to listening to Haven recently, and I have to say, it's absolutely fantastic! Tommy sounds amazing, songwriting is good, and I hope Alissa becomes a permanent contributor, because I love her vocals and the way they contrast with Tommy's voice.

:metal