Author Topic: Kamelot  (Read 149864 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kamelot
« Reply #700 on: April 21, 2015, 11:57:59 AM »
This song is much better than Veil of Elysium.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #701 on: April 21, 2015, 11:59:33 AM »
Glad they've released Insomnia, I quite like this track, and you also can hear that sound-effect-bridge problem I've told you about quite well, starts around 2:35.

No idea what you're talking about.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: April 21, 2015, 12:33:07 PM »
This song is much better than Veil of Elysium.

I really can't decide which one I like more. Veil of Elysium is much better in the context of the album than a standalone single, I'd say.

Glad they've released Insomnia, I quite like this track, and you also can hear that sound-effect-bridge problem I've told you about quite well, starts around 2:35.

No idea what you're talking about.

Well, I found a lot of bridges on Silverthorn a bit awkward, and sometimes it sounded like some sound effects were used on Tommy's voice (for example, My Confession, the lines "Somebody hides inside my mind, we're bound together; soulmate or enemy, alone in my religion"), and that was the only thing I disliked on Silverthorn. And this album kind of has the same problem for me, the vocals on 2:35 of Insomnia are very much alike those on My Confession. Veil of Elysium lyric video has the same kind of vocals at ~3:00 ("One day we'll meet" part). All these parts seriously take away my enjoyment from the songs.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: April 21, 2015, 05:26:37 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #704 on: April 21, 2015, 07:19:59 PM »
Sounds like typical Kamelot. Not bad though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #705 on: April 21, 2015, 08:13:11 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjs78NBNztk

another track

Damn, been taken down.

Glad I got a listen to it before it was.  Figured it would be as it was some weird user, not official.  I too liked it way better than Veil of Elysium.  Very much looking forward to this album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: April 21, 2015, 08:26:37 PM »
Glad to hear it's better than the first song.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: April 24, 2015, 08:54:07 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #708 on: April 24, 2015, 09:11:54 AM »
Cool video too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: April 24, 2015, 04:16:31 PM »
Sounds like typical Kamelot. Not bad though.

Pretty much.  Better than the first song though.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: April 24, 2015, 05:08:10 PM »
I really like the video and to me, Insomnia is a lot better than Veil of Elysium although that song is growing on me. I wonder if they will play any other new songs live when I see them on Wednesday.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: April 29, 2015, 10:28:46 PM »
Awesome concert tonight in NYC! Such a small venue so it felt so up close and personal.  This was my third time seeing them (all with Tommy on voacals, I had tickets to see them two weeks before Khan quit) and I had seen them play every song besides the 3 new ones so while that was not exciting, they still were amazing and I had an awesome time.  I got a bunch of video clips, but I also got the entire new song Revolution (minus the first like 15 seconds)

https://youtu.be/__FcEdwVwUw

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #712 on: May 01, 2015, 04:10:20 PM »
Got my wooden box in today. It's purdy.

This will be the first time listening to an album without hearing a leak first in many years.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: May 01, 2015, 05:20:58 PM »

This will be the first time listening to an album without hearing a leak first in many years.

Im surprised there has been no leak yet (at least to my knowledge), but my youtube video of the new song Revolution got pulled off by request of KMI entertainment.  They must be on top of this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: May 01, 2015, 05:32:57 PM »

Im surprised there has been no leak yet (at least to my knowledge), but my youtube video of the new song Revolution got pulled off by request of KMI entertainment.  They must be on top of this.

That's actually really good to see.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: May 01, 2015, 05:36:50 PM »
Yea, I totally respect that. I would like to re-upload my video once the album comes out cause it came out really well, but I do not wish to get into legal trouble.  Also, I noticed there is not a single video from the NYC show on youtube, I find that odd.  Plenty of people were filming and Tommy even grabbed someones camera and filmed himself singing with it and then handed it back (I have this filmed on my camera and its awesome). So clearly the band didn't have a problem with people using their cameras during the show.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #716 on: May 01, 2015, 05:58:25 PM »
That makes the Geoff Tate debacle that much funnier. "it slipped out of my hand" :facepalm:

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #717 on: May 01, 2015, 09:27:27 PM »

It has leaked, it's on many blogs already and torrent sites.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: May 03, 2015, 03:57:01 AM »
That makes the Geoff Tate debacle that much funnier. "it slipped out of my hand" :facepalm:

No no, it was something like he took the picture, threw it back to the guy but he missed cause of the lights or some shit.  :lol

Offline adace

« Reply #719 on: May 03, 2015, 04:24:32 AM »
Haven is great but I'm not feeling it quite as much as Silverthorn. Still one of the best releases of the year so far.

Highlights: Fallen Star, Insomnia, Veil of Elysium, Beautiful Apocalypse, Revolution

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: May 03, 2015, 10:47:59 AM »
Haven is great but I'm not feeling it quite as much as Silverthorn. Still one of the best releases of the year so far.

Highlights: Fallen Star, Insomnia, Veil of Elysium, Beautiful Apocalypse, Revolution

The last two tracks you mentioned are my least favourite songs from the album. Tastes and all that. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #721 on: May 03, 2015, 12:02:47 PM »
The new album is pretty good, but not quite as good as Silverthorn. I'd have to give it some more listens to really decide.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: May 03, 2015, 04:20:29 PM »
These opinions scare me.  Mainly because Silverthorn did nothing for me at all.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #723 on: May 03, 2015, 05:45:10 PM »
How many spins did you give it?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: May 03, 2015, 06:28:12 PM »
How many spins did you give it?

About 3, maybe 4.  I might give it another one before I pick up Haven.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #725 on: May 03, 2015, 07:16:32 PM »
Nothing they do will ever come close to matching TFL, Karma, Epica or TBH, but Silverthorn is miles better than both Ghost Opera and PFTP.

They can still prove me wrong, but the magic of old is sort of lost on them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: May 03, 2015, 07:58:20 PM »
I'd take both GO and PFTP over Silverthorn.  But saying that, my tastes have changed a bit over the last couple of years, so it could just be that I'm not as into them as I use to be.  I'll give it another spin though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: May 03, 2015, 08:01:16 PM »
I'd take both GO and PFTP over Silverthorn.  But saying that, my tastes have changed a bit over the last couple of years, so it could just be that I'm not as into them as I use to be.  I'll give it another spin though.

I don't think it's you.  I came across to Kamelot with Khan - I was a huge fan of Conception when they gave it away.   And I thought Siege Perilous was awful and so I just wrote them off.

It was only many years later that I realised what I had missed with the albums Zook quoted.  Now if I came along right now and Haven was my first listen since Siege Perilous then I would feel quite okay with my decision to not bother.  It's competent but nothing about it is special IMHO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: May 03, 2015, 08:07:56 PM »
And by the way ............if anyone wants me to make their next album sound like ass then I'm prepared to negotiate a better rate than whoever is producing/mastering all these recent releases.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: May 03, 2015, 08:30:22 PM »

I don't think it's you.  I came across to Kamelot with Khan - I was a huge fan of Conception when they gave it away.   And I thought Siege Perilous was awful and so I just wrote them off.

It was only many years later that I realised what I had missed with the albums Zook quoted.  Now if I came along right now and Haven was my first listen since Siege Perilous then I would feel quite okay with my decision to not bother.  It's competent but nothing about it is special IMHO.

I guess you're right.  GO and PFTP were definitely a step down from the four before it, and Silverthorn was another step down that just lost my interest.  I like Tommy though, I think Tom has just become stale and ran out of ideas.

I started with TFL too and I think followed them since Epica.  I missed the first few albums until much later on, so it didn't affect my opinion at all.  I'd take Eternity and Dominion over SP.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: May 03, 2015, 08:31:17 PM »
And by the way ............if anyone wants me to make their next album sound like ass then I'm prepared to negotiate a better rate than whoever is producing/mastering all these recent releases.

Fucking this.  What's going on hey.  I feel I could make some records sound better through my line in in my sound card.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: May 04, 2015, 06:19:30 AM »
I'm listening to Silverthorn again and no real change.  It just doesn't hold me attention, I keep drifting and nothing here I find interesting at all, except Sacrimony really.  maybe I need to listen to the songs singulary and break the album up.

Hopefully the new one can excite me more.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #732 on: May 04, 2015, 03:32:59 PM »
Love it so far.

I loved Silverthorn and thought it was really consistent in terms of quality, but a lot of the songs felt a bit similar (so I did not listen to the whole very often, but kept revisiting individual pieces). This album has a few more parts I like less, but does offer more variety I feel. Tommy sounds even more like Kahn at times, but also less in other parts, which also adds a lot to the variety.

Also, I think the piano version of End of Innocence works really well. Veil of Elysium acoustic is a very nice bonus as well. These versions are of the ballad type rendition.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: May 07, 2015, 12:50:20 PM »
So I really like this album.  Tommy really shines, but he still has his Khan moments, but there is a lot more of Tommy being Tommy.

I like the intro a lot, Fallen Star, it's new for Kamelot to open with a soft spot and a legit song, not some symphonic instrumental opener.  It's also a really good song.  Insomnia is a really good song IMO, I love the video too.  It was also amazing live.  Then you get to the meat of the album which is all very solid, but what stands out to me after my first bunch of listens is Beautiful Apocalypse followed by Liar Liar.  Those two songs kind of show the two sides of the album, the newer melodic not as symphonic/power metal song and then the standard power metal song and both are done very well.

Also, another album with solid guest contributions  :tup

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #734 on: May 07, 2015, 03:30:33 PM »
I would've preferred a different guest singer than Charlotte though. She has a great voice and all, but in Under Gey Skies I think a warmer tone/voice would've worked better and would fit more next to Tommy's vocals. This is offcourse very subjective and her performance is great regardless, but for some reason I miss a bit of a spark during her lines.

Fully agree with the rest of your comments though, and I look forward to the liveshow I am attending.