Author Topic: Any hockey players on DTF?  (Read 4999 times)

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
Any hockey players on DTF?
« on: November 08, 2009, 05:32:05 PM »
Or am I the only one? I've been playing since I was 6 and I've been watching the game since birth. My dad had me wrapped in a Sharks blanket at the hospital :metal My dad grew up in Chicago so he was really big on hockey but never made it pro because of some back problems. Right now I'm playing for the Junior Sharks travel team and I'm trying to get into one of the big hockey colleges in hopes that I get spotted by the USA Developmental Team and eventually, make it to the pros. :hat

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Any hockey players on DTF?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 05:48:19 PM »
I play street hockey whenever I can.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 05:49:57 PM »
I don't want to sound like a dick Zelater because it seems you are buuuuuuuuut...

Are you really that good?

Like how do you do compared to everyone on your team/league. Scoring wise, play time, etc.

And also, what position?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 06:05:31 PM »
I play goalie in my university's recreational league.  The best sport evah  :metal :metal :metal :metal
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 06:20:25 PM »
I usually play for fun. Generally I play goalie, and I'm pretty good at it. But I've only ever played recreational.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 06:37:51 PM »
I started playing ice hockey when I was 8 and stopped around junior year of HS. Played Left wing. I stopped because I liked to play more for fun. It became to much like hardcore. I've been back and forth about joining a house league. But I haven't skated in a while. and not all my equipment fits.

idk. BUT I LOVE HOCKEY  :metal

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 07:00:34 PM »
I played for about 10 years.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 07:05:04 PM »
I play "hockey cosom" (hockey but with running shoes and a ball instead of the puck; no idea how you call that in english) in a team. I also play regular hockey in winter almost every night with a bunch of friends.

I don't think it's a secret, I love that sport.

BTW, Zeltar, you definitely have some canadian blood in you. ;)
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 07:07:40 PM »
^^^^Street hockey.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 07:08:59 PM »
Yeah, but it's not on the street... we're playing inside. We still call it street hockey?
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 07:09:47 PM »
Ya got me there...

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »
That's ball hockey or floor hockey mates.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 08:53:52 PM »
That's ball hockey or floor hockey mates.

Always fun stuff

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 11:21:26 PM »
I don't want to sound like a dick Zelater because it seems you are buuuuuuuuut...

Are you really that good?

Like how do you do compared to everyone on your team/league. Scoring wise, play time, etc.

And also, what position?
No problem dude, it's cool. When I played for my school I centered the top line and lead the league in assists and points. Now that I'm on Junior Sharks which is the main junior team of the area, the competition is much stronger so I'm centering the second line and am leading the team in assists. I'm not the best all around player on the team but I like to think that I'm the best passer :)

So what types of players are/were you guys? Snipers, playmakers, shut down defenseman? I'm a playmaking center but I can play any forward position. I'm really small for a center so I'm bulking up and trying to improve my 2 way game.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 12:37:36 AM »
I played roller hockey since the 4th grade.  Played ice since the 6th grade.  I started playing high school hockey at 8th grade and I became a damn good defenseman.  I was great at stopping plays, and being real heads up on the ice.  I was also the guy who would just knock the living shit out of people even though I was the smallest dude on the team weight wise.  I had a great instinct for landing big hits.  I played all throughout high school and then haven't played since :(
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 04:59:40 AM »
Does beating up small children with a hockey stick count?

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 05:51:58 AM »
i played some street hockey, but i mostly enjoy yelling at them from the comfort of my seat.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 06:12:14 AM »
Hockey with a ball is hockey. Hockey on ice is ice hockey.

It is over here at least :p.

Offline Buckethead

• Poopstring
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 06:38:10 AM »
Assistant captain of the B-team pretty much from junior novice until midget and now I just play pick-up at my university. Was never really any good though, I was more just a solid team player haha.

Anybody here play any NHL 10 on xbox??

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 06:41:13 AM »
So what types of players are/were you guys? Snipers, playmakers, shut down defenseman? I'm a playmaking center but I can play any forward position. I'm really small for a center so I'm bulking up and trying to improve my 2 way game.

I'd like to think my stick and puck handling make me a good overall player. I'm a good passer and shooter (who prefers wrist shots to slap shots), and I'm good on defense.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 10:27:08 AM »
Assistant captain of the B-team pretty much from junior novice until midget and now I just play pick-up at my university. Was never really any good though, I was more just a solid team player haha.

Anybody here play any NHL 10 on xbox??

Yep. I'm pretty much addicted to that game.
Gamertag: setrataeso

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
Generally I play goalie, and I'm pretty good at it.

:neverusethis:

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 06:02:59 PM »
I played ice hockey for four or five years, ball hockey for one, and I love playing street/ball hockey recreationally with friends whenever I can.

I generally play right wing in a power forward role. I've got a pretty decent shot, but my physicality tends to define my play the most.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 06:07:56 PM »

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 07:39:06 PM »
I played hockey from when I was 5 until I was about 16 or so. I really want to get back into it but don't really have the time or money atm. Plus since I haven't even skated or played in so long I'd probably have to invest in some skating lessons and the like if I actually want to make it onto any team.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:50:57 PM by MetalMike06 »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 03:12:39 PM »
Semi-retired defensive defenseman who gets off on sacrificing his body to prevent goals.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 02:12:24 PM »
Bump.   I just started playing ice hockey in an adult rec league about 2 months ago.   Amazing sport ...   :metal  one of the best decisions I ever made.   The 1st couple of times I thought I was going to drop dead on the ice, but little by little my conditioning has improved and I'm not quite so gassed by the end of the game.

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 02:32:10 PM »
I usually have no problems lasting a game, but the last one of this season was brutal.  We were playing the best team in the league in our first (and only) playoff game, and they completely outclassed us, outshooting us about 60-5.  To boot, the temperature in the rink was a lot hotter than usual; accordingly, I got really dehydrated by the end of the game and had a huge head ache when I left the ice.  Luckily, we only lost 6-0, mostly because I Hextall'd the first guy who tried to screen me on a shot, so I got to see the puck on every single one after that.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 02:34:26 PM »
I played roller hockey in a league for years when I was younger. Fun times.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »
I usually have no problems lasting a game, but the last one of this season was brutal.  We were playing the best team in the league in our first (and only) playoff game, and they completely outclassed us, outshooting us about 60-5.  To boot, the temperature in the rink was a lot hotter than usual; accordingly, I got really dehydrated by the end of the game and had a huge head ache when I left the ice.  Luckily, we only lost 6-0, mostly because I Hextall'd the first guy who tried to screen me on a shot, so I got to see the puck on every single one after that.

:lol  I'm really surprised that NHL goalies don't do this more often, especially in the playoffs.  Guys like Luongo and especially the eastern-euro goalies seem so passive about it... not like old-time guys like Hextall and battlin' Billy Smith who kept their crease-area off limits. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 06:49:54 PM »

:lol  I'm really surprised that NHL goalies don't do this more often, especially in the playoffs.  Guys like Luongo and especially the eastern-euro goalies seem so passive about it... not like old-time guys like Hextall and battlin' Billy Smith who kept their crease-area off limits. 
:lol I've always wanted to see Luongo lose it on Buff when he's standing in his crease. Damn that would be something.

Yeah dude hockey's the toughest sport to play imo. I've played football, soccer, wrestling, and hockey and none were tougher to play than hockey. You tire out extremely fast, have to make split second decisions, I love it. :metal

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 09:14:35 PM »
Woah, talk about old thread bumps!

I've slowly been becoming a full fledged roller hockey player. It's been a real challenge getting on skates and kind of re-learning the game from that perspective but I've become a really solid player lately. I've finally been able to get comfortable, take my time and slow down the game.

I'm playing pick-up games Thursday night's and Sunday mornings and starting this week I'll be in a roller hockey league on Sunday afternoons.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 05:03:31 AM »
My 8 year old son starts his 4 on 4 league today. His first time doing this kind of thing. Should be awesome.

each team has 9 players. two lines of 4 and a goalie, no coaches just parents opening the door, and a parent who runs the buzzer/clock. Every two minutes the buzzer goes (unless a breakaway) and they change the lines. They play 2 26 minute games an hour apart.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2011, 06:33:49 AM »
This might be interesting to some in here.  Two weeks ago I color corrected the official 2011 NHL Playoff/Stanley Cup Finals DVD.  It was pretty fun and definitely a cool client to work for!
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2011, 07:01:19 AM »
SWEET!

that is really neat!
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.