Author Topic: Volk's Top 50 Albums!  (Read 14966 times)

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
Volk's Top 50 Albums!
« on: November 07, 2009, 07:44:36 PM »
Ok, I know theres a bunch of these lists going around, but I've waited long enough to present my list (I was going to wait till dreamtheatervt's list was over, but then all these others popped up, so I figured I'd join).

Anyways, 2 things about my album list:

1). I can guarentee there will be lots of diversity among genres.
2). There will be a few suprises along the way.

So, the first five will begin in the next post. I hope some of you will be interested in following my list and I hope you check out some of the great albums I've loved listening too!

**EDIT**

Quick Reference for the top albums so far:

2. Dream Theater- Images and Words
3. Between the Buried and Me- Colors
4. All Shall Perish- Price of Existence/ Awaken the Dreamers
5. Miles Davis- Kind of Blue
6. Daft Punk- Discovery
7. Queensryche- Operation Mindcrime
8. Massive Attack- Mezzanine
9. Linkin Park- Meteora
10. Incubus- Make Yourself
11. Deftones- White Pony
12. Theivery Corporation-The Mirror Conspiracy
13. Massive Attack- Blue Lines
14. Thrice- The Artist in the Ambulance
15. Red Hot Chili Peppers- Stadium Arcadium
16. Poe- Haunted
17.  Madvillain- Madvillainy
18. A Tribe Called Quest- The Low End Theory
19. Dredg- The Pariah, The Parrot, and the Delusion
20. Novembre- Dreams d' Azur
21. Opeth- Ghost Reveries
22. Nightwish- Dark Passion Play
23. DJ Shadow- Entroducing...
24. Emmure- Goodbye to the Gallows
25. Protest the Hero- Fortress
26. Michael Jackson- Thriller
27. Riverside- Second Life Syndrome
28. DJ Krush- Stepping Stones: The Self-Remixed Best
29. Incubus- Morning View
30. Kanye West- Graduation
31. U2- War
32. Novembre- Materia
33. Deltron 3030- Deltron 3030
34. Epica- The Divine Conspiracy
35. Opeth- Blackwater Park
36. Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory
37. Dream Theater- Octavarium
38. The Blue Nile- Hats
39. Symphony X- The Divine Wings of Tragedy
40. Dredg- Catch Without Arms
41. Gorillaz- Demon Days
42. Ferry Corsten- L.E.F.
43. UNKLE- Psyence Fiction
44. Human Abstract- Nocturne
45. Boards of Canada- Geogaddi
46. Apocalyptica- Reflections
47. Slipknot- Vol. 3
48. Nonpoint- To The Pain
49. Tokyo Jihen- Adult
50. My Chemical Romance- The Black Parade
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 07:44:19 PM by Volk9 »
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
Re: Volk's Top 50 Albums!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 07:46:29 PM »
I will be interested to see your taste in music. I hope some albums I love make your list  :biggrin:
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 08:02:01 PM »
First albums are in!

46. Apocalyptica- Reflections: After a long time of searching for symphonic metal w/o vocals, I finally came across this album. And it was exactly what I was looking for! What suprised me even more was that the only instruments being used (besides the drums and occasional piano/guitar) were cellos. And man can these guys play. This is my favorite album by the band. The lead sounds of the cello being played over metal is just astounding on this album. And the slow soft songs are beautful as well.

47. Slipknot- Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses: Wait. Slipknot? You put Slipknot on your list!? Well, yeah. This album deserves to be on the list. By their third album, the band finally began stretching out their wings and progressing in their style. More experimental songs and sections appeared, beautiful acoustic songs were brought to light, and still the metal (non-debateable) kept punishing. Im nowhere near a maggot, but you have to be deaf to call this album anything less then great.

48. Nonpoint- To the Pain: One of my favorite nu-metal/rap-rock albums. When I first heard "Bullet with a Name" on the radio a few summers ago, I knew I had to get this. And when I did, I fell in love with it. Heavy and aggressive, but still very melodic in places. The bass isnt usually heard in the heavier songs, but when you can hear it in softer sections, its really a pleasure to listen to. I really love every song on this album, and it doesnt carry very many weak spots in it as a whole. Album flows wonderfully also.

49. Tokyo Jihen- Adult: Suprising that a J-pop album is on my list? Perhaps. But this is one awesome album. The songs go from slow, near-atmospheric keyboard melodies, to straight out rockin' tunes. And even with the differences in sounds, the albums still flows beautifully. The bass and drums are what really stood out to me, but everything in this band is wonderful. Definately worth a listen.

50. My Chemical Romance- The Black Parade: I heard a lot about MCR and the whole "emo" scene, which I am not a fan of. But I decided to check out this album based on reading a lot of good reviews for it. So, after getting it and listening to it, I realized that this was trualy a gem in an oversaturated genre. The singing in this album is outstanding, the rhythms are catchy and a blast to listen to, and the energy of the band never slows down. I dont about anything else from MCR, but this album is definately worth being on the list.

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline tbw2445

• I live a life based on good intentions...
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 08:17:59 PM »
Wow, i can tell this list is going to be very diverse. That's good though cause we won't see what's coming  ;D
i'm learning all about my life by looking through her eyes

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 08:21:10 PM »
So far I have 3/5 of the albums there.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Volk9

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 08:48:36 PM »
Wow, i can tell this list is going to be very diverse. That's good though cause we won't see what's coming  ;D

Lol, trust me, you wont ;)

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 09:19:03 PM »
If you put  Tokyo Jihen on this list, i better fucking see a Shiina Ringo album on there. Her solo shit is much better imo

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 03:01:34 AM »
Subliminal verses.  :metal My first metal album, it changed my life...

Offline Volk9

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 04:05:37 PM »
Alright my friends, heres the next five!

41. Gorillaz- Demon Days: A classic album from the pop/trip-hop/hip-hop/electronica...well, I think you get the point. Gorillaz is a "virtual" band, consisted only of a few members. Their musical styles had a lot of range in their debut album, but here they sound so much more polished and refined. The music is overall pretty laid-back, but its definately not lazy. Its a fun album to listen to, sometimes having a comical aspect to it, and it really doesnt have any filler tracks (besides the intro). Every song on here has something special in it, and its just a fun and entertaining album throughout.

42. Ferry Corsten- L.E.F.: One of my first trance albums. I heard the name here and there in school, but never got to look into it. But finally one day, I was able to get my hands on this album, and I've loved it since. The songs are overall very energetic and fun, but even when the music is slowed down to a mellow bass over a beat, its really beautiful and relaxing to listen too. This album is hurt by some filler, but the strong tracks are strong enough to carry this album onto my list.

43. UNKLE- Psyence Fiction: One of my favorite downtempo and trip hop albums. With the world-renowned DJ Shadow at the helm of the production, I knew this had to be a good album. And I wasnt let down. The beats are fantastic as usual, and the vocal appearences in some of these songs are...pure bliss (Look up: "Bloodstain", one of the most awesome trip-hop songs I've listened too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBZ8LzPC48M). Even when the music isnt laid back, its very upbeat and sometimes almost rock-ish. Anyways, a great album and features some classic trademarks of the great DJ Shadow.

44. Human Abstract- Nocturne: One of the first metal/mathcore albums that I was able to listen to and enjoy. The technicality and aggressiveness in this album is stunning. Each song here has something that makes it special, nearly giving each of them it own personality. The vocals might put some off, but although he isnt the best in the genre, he is good enough. What really stunned me when I first listened to this album, was the few soft songs on here (Namely Desiderata). They are absolutely beautiful. Some of the guitar work in the aformentioned song actually reminded me of Opeth's acoustic guitar-work. Anyways, great album, great band.

45. Boards of Canada- Geogaddi: One of BOC's highest rated albums, and one of the most relaxing, yet haunting electronica albums I've heard. When I bought this, I didnt know whether to expect some upbeat techno, or near-post rock stuff. The result is a casual mix between the two. The album as a whole has a very...warm, and yet dark, atmosphere throughout (Almost like the album cover; warm, yet mysterious). and even with its warmth, it feels...distant. Thats the closest I can get to describing the unique sound of the album. The samples used in many of the songs also add greatly to the depth and feeling of the album. Personally I've always liked reading or studying with this album on, but when you start listening to the details in the music, its easy to get carried away.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 04:07:03 PM »
Some interesting choices.

Why do you post the list backwards? I mean, 41 first and 45 last?
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Volk9

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 04:08:17 PM »
Why do you post the list backwards? I mean, 41 first and 45 last?

I'm...im not sure...lol. I'll fix that on my future submissions :P

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 04:08:46 PM »
I'm at 5/10 owned so far. :tup
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 04:32:57 PM »
I'm at 5/10 owned so far. :tup

Lol, nice. Which ones?
Subliminal verses.  :metal My first metal album, it changed my life...

Yeah, one of my first metal albums too. First time I heard double bass...the memory gets me all teary :'(

:metal

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 04:36:33 PM »
Lol, nice. Which ones?

50, 47, 46, 44 and 41.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline jag66

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 03:41:18 AM »
I hope to see some more BOC in your list  :tup

Offline Volk9

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 02:45:43 PM »
Gotta run to work so I cant type much, but heres the next few ;) A few more recognizable ones in this batch.

40. Dredg- Catch Without Arms: My first Dredg album, and my most listened to one. They shifted into a more mainstream direction with this album, but that did nothing to stop their creative writing and songs. Definately a band that deserves more attention. The album goes from straight rocking songs (Bug Eyes, Ode) to slowed down and more experimental tracks (Zebraskin, Sang Real). Definately one of the best "indie" albums I've heard.

39. Symphony X- The Divine Wings of Tragedy: My first SymX album and still the one that I keep coming back to. Every song on here is very strong, the only weak song being Pharoah (Though its still kinda catchy). Russell shines on this album throughout and the instruments stand out for immensely.

38. The Blue Nile- Hats: Classified as New Wave/Romantic pop, this album from '89 features very melancholy and soft music. The vocals, and the music overall, are very laid-back which makes it a very relaxing listen. Its a perfect album to listen to while taking an evening walk outside.

37. Dream Theater- Octavarium: What do I need to say? One of DT's most accesible, and yet intriguing albums due to its whole "concept/theme". I honestly like all the tracks on here, my faves being These Walls and the title track. Not many weak points on here.

36. Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory: Linkin Park; the band that helped me get into heavier music. This is LP's debut album, and its really packs a punch to it. It showcases a great amount of aggressiveness, and can really get you moving. Nearly all the songs on this album had "single" written all over it, and that just shows how strong of an album it is.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 07:10:56 PM by Volk9 »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 03:40:18 PM »
Now I'm at 9/15 :tup
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 04:42:01 PM »
Linkin Park... great choice.
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 05:50:23 PM »
x2. Great debut, I am not ashamed to admit it
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 05:56:02 PM »
X3. Guilt pleasure.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Volk9

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 07:49:40 PM »
X3. Guilt pleasure.

Glad you all agree :tup Its still one of the few albums from high school that I can still enjoy today

Offline pinkclimax

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 08:01:13 PM »
Downloading some albums by The Blue Nile, look forward to it, thanks for the rec.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 08:28:08 PM »
Downloading some albums by The Blue Nile, look forward to it, thanks for the rec.

Anytime :tup I hope you enjoy it

Offline Volk9

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 04:27:26 PM »
The cookies are fresh out the oven!

31. U2- War: My favorite album by U2. Although many prefer The Joshua Tree or The Unforgettable Fire, I feel that this is one of their most accesible and catchiest releases. I really feel all the songs here are unique and stand strong on their own through time. Bono's voice carries his emotion very well, and all the instruments are spot on. Refugee was the only song on the album I dont really like. Otherwise, this album is definately one of my favorites.

32. Novembre- Materia: I love this band. And I love all of their releases. But when it came down to it, I had to choose this album for this spot. I've always appreciated the band for their deep use of atmosphere in their songs, heavy or not. It just mizes so well with the style. And on this album its really perfected. The vocals (which are sometimes sung in Italian) are overall very melancholy and they just add to the depth of the music. This is for fans of Katatonia and Opeth.

33. Deltron 3030- Deltron 3030: Actually an album I recently discovered. Featuring the rapper Del tha Funkee Homosapien, famous of Gorillaz rap songs (Ex: Clint Eastwood). For a rap album, this cd is pretty epic. Its described as a "rap opera concept album set in a dystopian year 3030". The style of Del's rapping fits this theme wonderfully, adding a comical twist to an otherwise bleak theme. For fans of the Gorillaz rapping songs, or just hip-hop in general.

34. Epica- The Divine Conspiracy: My favorite Epica album. Its heavy and hard-hitting, and yet those vocals...dont get me started. Simone Simmons has one of the most beautiful and elegant voices in the symphonic metal scene (in any scene really) and she really shines on this album. I absolutely love her vocals over the heavy sound of the music. Most people will complain about the growls, but although he really isnt a good growler at all, they somehow fit the music in my opinion. Heavy symphonic metal with outstanding vocals.

35. Opeth- Blackwater Park: A DTF classic. My first Opeth album (and album with growls). When I first listened to this album, I didnt like the first track so much. But when the Bleak-Harvest- Drapery Falls combo hit, this immediately became a favorite for me at that very instant. The growling on this album is suberb, and you can actually understand what Mikael is saying. And his singing...my goodness. When I first heard him sing after all the growling, I couldnt believe it was the same person. No, really. I looked up the band on wikipedia that day to see if there was another member that sang in the band. Anyways, this is a beautiful, heavy, dark, and just awesome album.

But you already knew that :tup
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:16:16 AM by Volk9 »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 07:42:30 PM »
12/20 now.

We have pretty similar tastes.
space cadet, pull out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 08:43:17 AM »
I'm 2 for 20!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 09:03:14 AM »
Suprised to see Novembre's Materia. Such a great unknown band. I love Aquamarine. Pretty cool growling.
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline Volk9

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 10:34:21 AM »
12/20 now.

We have pretty similar tastes.

Wow, thats pretty good. Lets see how many you have by the end; it'll be pretty interesting.
Suprised to see Novembre's Materia. Such a great unknown band. I love Aquamarine. Pretty cool growling.

Yeah, they definately deserve to be more well known. You may see them show up again ;)

I'm 2 for 20!  :lol

You need to catch up! Lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 11:47:26 AM »

*snip*

Cookies?  More like pineapple upside-down cake the way you post them  :lol

I will just say our musical interests have very little, but some overlap.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 01:04:23 PM »

*snip*

Cookies?  More like pineapple upside-down cake the way you post them  :lol

I will just say our musical interests have very little, but some overlap.

Oops :P I keep on forgetting to change them around, because in my word document their like this (Dont ask why I did it that way)

Offline Volk9

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 02:45:54 PM »
Ok, heres a few more for you all! :metal

30. Kanye West- Graduation: "How dare I rank Kanye on this list! And above some of the other album?! Youre kidding me?!" No, im not kidding. Does he have an ego the size of Texas? Yes. Is he pretty rude to people in general? Yes. But im not ranking people, im ranking albums. And this album lisves up to its title, Graduation. His rapping style is comical and light-hearted, the beats are pretty cool throughout, and every song on this album is a hit. Only filler here that I dont like is Barry Bonds. Besides that, everything else is just aces in my book.

29. Incubus- Morning View: After moving away from the more energetic and fun style of their previous two albums, here they finally settle into a more mature sound. You can definately see the progression and changes this band made while listening to this album, compared to previous outings. They still keep alot of their signature sound, but its much more refined in this album. Awesome alternative/rap-rock album.

28. DJ Krush- Stepping Stones: The Self-Remixed Best: One of Japans most popular and talented DJ's. This album is actually a few of his past songs remixed by himself, and he does an outstanding job on this. The beats are sometimes hard-hitting, and othertimes their very organic and atmospheric. Fans of turntablism and hip-hop DJ's will enjoy this one.

27. Riverside- Second Life Syndrome: A great album by a great band. Outstanding musicianship by all members, but the guitar really stands out to me. Not the most technically advanced playing that I've heard, but the solos, riffs, and everything else; they just perfectly blend in and seem "right" for the band. Everything just fits. The vocals are also one of my favorite things in this album. From soaring and soothing to angry and near-growling.

26. Michael Jackson- Thriller
: A classic. Whether you like MJ himself or not, this album has withstood the test of time and will likely do so for the next century. Every song on here is an instant hit and classic, and theres really not anything bad to say about this album. This is definately the zenith of MJ's career and THE definanitive pop album.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 02:48:51 PM »
16/25.

Falling behind a bit, but still pretty close.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 07:36:16 AM »
16/25.

Falling behind a bit, but still pretty close.

Close enough. I'd be interested in seeing your top 50 albums list also if you ever think you'd get the chance.

Also thanks for following my thread :tup; I dont think many are sticking in, lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2009, 09:01:09 AM »
Your addition of so many rap/R&B/trip-hop/WTF-hop shows why lacking diversity in music is a good thing  :biggrin:

I think I'd rather be waterboarded than listen to those, but like I said earlier, your list does have some redeeming qualities, like reminding me I forgot to check out Epica and still have to do that.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 03:09:48 PM by dreamtheatervt »

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2009, 01:56:39 PM »
You addition of so many rap/R&B/trip-hop/WTF-hop shows why lacking diversity in music is a good thing  :biggrin:

I think I'd rather be waterboarded than listen to those, but like I said earlier, your list does have some redeeming qualities, like reminding me I forgot to check out Epica and still have to do that.
Jesus Christ.....