Author Topic: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread  (Read 140737 times)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2012, 11:59:27 AM »
https://www.metalsucks.net/2012/02/08/did-sharon-osbourne-fire-bill-ward-from-black-sabbath-reunion/

Read this, Metaltalk.net is most likely a bogus site.  Also go to Metaltalk.net and it just seems more and more bogus.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2012, 12:09:47 PM »
The way I interpreting the thing was that their management,  Sharon Osbourne,  decided not to consider a different contract, and the decision was made to go on without him.  Note that the article said "effectively" fired him,  which is how I'd describe the situation as we currently know it. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2012, 01:24:03 PM »
BILL WARD's Son: 'What A Way To F**k Up Such A Powerful, Influential And Inspirational Legacy' - Feb. 8, 2012

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=169439
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2012, 10:28:52 PM »
I'm actually not too concerned about not having Bill Ward (*puts up shield*), but just going with Ozzy's solo drummer is a terrible choice. First of all, I was hoping they'd avoid a newer generic metal drummer and go with someone like Vinny Appice who had some history with the band already. And going with someone already with Ozzy's band makes this feel more blatantly like Sharon Osbourne just pulling the strings, rather than an honest Sabbath reunion. It's 50% of Ozzy's existing solo band now. That's not cool.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2012, 10:31:29 PM »
I'm actually not too concerned about not having Bill Ward (*puts up shield*), but just going with Ozzy's solo drummer is a terrible choice. First of all, I was hoping they'd avoid a newer generic metal drummer and go with someone like Vinny Appice who had some history with the band already. And going with someone already with Ozzy's band makes this feel more blatantly like Sharon Osbourne just pulling the strings, rather than an honest Sabbath reunion. It's 50% of Ozzy's existing solo band now. That's not cool.
Like I said, no one can back up Metaltalk.net's claims that Ozzy's solo drummer is in, I'd still place bets on Vinny.  And Ozzy is only one part of Black Sabbath, Tony Iommi and Geezer are still capable of making decisions of their own.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2012, 10:43:02 PM »
Like I said, no one can back up Metaltalk.net's claims that Ozzy's solo drummer is in, I'd still place bets on Vinny.  And Ozzy is only one part of Black Sabbath, Tony Iommi and Geezer are still capable of making decisions of their own.

In that case, you can take my post as a response to the unconfirmed hypothetical, and I really hope it doesn't end up being the case.
With Bill Ward out due to an apparent bad contract, I do wonder how much say Tony and Geezer are having in the whole process, but I'm really hoping for Vinny Appice too.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2012, 10:55:58 PM »
Vinnie is wrapped up in a different project.  While not officially out of the picture,  he's out of the picture.  And honestly,  he's an average drummer at best. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2012, 10:58:37 PM »
Vinnie is wrapped up in a different project.  While not officially out of the picture,  he's out of the picture.  And honestly,  he's an average drummer at best. 

My hope for Appice only stems from keeping it as close as possible to the Sabbath family, rather than drumming ability. Do you think that as of 2012 his drumming would be any worse than Bill Ward could manage these days?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2012, 11:10:43 PM »

My hope for Appice only stems from keeping it as close as possible to the Sabbath family, rather than drumming ability. Do you think that as of 2012 his drumming would be any worse than Bill Ward could manage these days?
I think Appice would do his own thing and play just fine.  I think Bill Ward would do the right thing,  and also play just fine.  Something to consider is that Vinnie is content to sit in the background and do nothing more than rudimentary drum work*.  Bill Ward played with a great deal of style that actually added to the music.  That's something he's still quite capable of, even if he has slowed down a notch.  And,   last time I saw Ward he really whipped some ass.

Were it me,  I think I'd be on the phone with Bobby Rondinelli right now.  He recorded an album with Geezer and Iommi,  and he plays a better Sabbath style than Appice.

*In fairness,  I actually like Vinnie Appice.  Much like his brother,  he's got a very distinctive, though somewhat limited, style that serves him pretty well in his original composition.  I always thought We Rock was an outstanding bit of drumming.  His is just a very different approach than Ward's. 
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2012, 11:16:19 PM »
Well that's all fair enough. I'm not familiar with Bobby Rondinelli, so I don't know what he's like. As long as they find a fitting drummer (such as any of the suggestions thrown around on this page, or somehow miraculously working things out with Ward), I'm not too fussed. I just don't want a younger metal drummer who doesn't really fit in with the Sabbath style as well, and I don't think Ozzy's solo drummer would be a good fit at all.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2012, 01:20:42 AM »
Ah well, it was fun while it lasted. I'm sort of glad I didn't get my ticket now.

and oh yeah....fuck Sharon.  :tdwn
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2012, 07:29:30 AM »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2012, 07:39:41 AM »
On a lighter note, Birmingham may create a Black Sabbath Day to highlight the legendary act’s contribution to music.

https://www.birminghammail.net/news/birmingham-news/2012/01/31/birmingham-may-hold-a-black-sabbath-day-97319-30230603/

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2012, 06:21:17 PM »
Music Business 101

If one of your band mates is unhappy with the royalty share he will receive - just sack him and get someone else ! Leaving you free to award yourself more royalties ! Also being married to your manager is a plus !

Think what you want about U2 - but at least they split everything 25% each. Which is the best way. Saves this type of argument.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #189 on: February 11, 2012, 09:37:53 AM »

Think what you want about U2 - but at least they split everything 25% each. Which is the best way. Saves this type of argument.

Same way with Rush, who split everything three ways regardless of who wrote what or who does what or whatever.  And it's no coincidence that Rush and U2 have more longevity (when talking years AND keeping the same members) than almost every other band out there (ZZ Top notwithstanding). 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: February 11, 2012, 03:20:11 PM »
Slight tangent - but U2 are one of the only bands ( maybe THE only band ) that has been around for over 30 years and NEVER had a lineup change.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2012, 12:05:40 PM »
BWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Another "Hitler" video regarding the current Black Sabbath situation...the idea is getting a little tired, but I honestly laughed my butt off at this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E78dXfhf04g
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: February 16, 2012, 12:17:34 PM »
On Blabbermouth some guy made a comment like "black sabbath won't be the same without bill fuck."

Obviously, he should have put a comma after Bill, so it would read "black sabbath won't be the same without bill, fuck."

But since he didn't it's become a running joke to call him Bill Fuck. :lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline adace

« Reply #193 on: May 23, 2012, 04:48:40 AM »
The clips from the Birmingham show are just awesome. It almost makes me not care about the whole Bill Ward thing as callous as that sounds. I really hope they mend fences with him, but for the meantime the band are still going plenty strong without him. Can't wait for the new album!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #194 on: May 23, 2012, 04:55:42 AM »

*In fairness,  I actually like Vinnie Appice.  Much like his brother,  he's got a very distinctive, though somewhat limited, style that serves him pretty well in his original composition.  I always thought We Rock was an outstanding bit of drumming.  His is just a very different approach than Ward's.

I'm not a fan of Vinnie at all. He's got a strange style of drumming.

I'd love to hear what Nicko McBrain could do with those songs. A Pipe dream, I know.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: May 23, 2012, 05:01:21 AM »
I think Nicko would do some great stuff, his work on the Out of My Mind track fitted really well with the Sabbath style.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #196 on: May 23, 2012, 06:16:30 AM »
I think Nicko would do some great stuff, his work on the Out of My Mind track fitted really well with the Sabbath style.
Yeah agreed!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2012, 09:23:59 AM »
Been hearing a few Sabbath songs in random places lately and occurred to me again I don’t own anything of theirs. Currently limited funds means I am probably not going to invest in anything more than 1 or 2 CDs… any chance of their being a solid compilation of theirs out there?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2012, 09:32:23 AM »
Just get Paranoid and maybe the debut as well.  Compilations are never the way to go!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: June 12, 2012, 09:32:39 AM »
The Best of Black Sabbath covers the Ozzy era very well, and crams in as best it can for a double disc. It doesn't really cover anything else though. I believe it has maybe one Dio era song on there.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: June 12, 2012, 09:58:11 AM »
Compilations are never the way to go!

I would agree with this 95% of the time, but sometimes a band will have a good one that will suffice. But it is usually something an artist/band has a lot of involvement in, like Ayreon’s Timelime, instead of the usual record label money-grab compilation.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #201 on: June 12, 2012, 10:29:53 AM »
Looking at the track list for the Best Of that Blob mentioned, you should consider it as the way to go. A great cross section. Also contains 2 Dio and 1 Gillan tracks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2012, 10:50:02 AM »
If you want a sampler, then yeah, Best Of isn't a bad idea.  It'll give you an idea of what each version of the band was about, so you can dig further.  But I'd still recommend either the first album or Paranoid as well because unlike many bands of their time, Black Sabbath was often album-oriented.  Mini-suites with instrumentals hooked up to main songs, shorter or longer tunes that no one puts on compilations but which give you a better overall picture of the band and what they were going for, that kind of thing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #203 on: June 12, 2012, 11:22:28 AM »
Yeah, Sabbath really is an album oriented band.  I'd trade Paranoid for SBS or Sabotage, though.  The first album is vital, and while Paranoid is very good, it'd make more sense to get something from a later era, which was equally good if not better.  With The Writ and Megalomania, I'd recommend Sabotage to go along with the debut album.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2012, 12:30:14 PM »
Thanks guys, only know them via the radio and their hits. Didn't realize they were that album oriented.

Usually check out bands via the web and means of questionable legality, but trying to steer myself away from that.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: June 12, 2012, 12:31:52 PM »
Try the Dio era, that's some of my favorite music period. The one two punch of heaven and hell/mob rules is amazing

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #206 on: June 12, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »
Yeah, Sabbath really is an album oriented band.  I'd trade Paranoid for SBS or Sabotage, though.  The first album is vital, and while Paranoid is very good, it'd make more sense to get something from a later era, which was equally good if not better.  With The Writ and Megalomania, I'd recommend Sabotage to go along with the debut album.

SBS and Sabotage are my fave two Ozzy era albums!
Megalomania is incredible!!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #207 on: June 12, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »
Try the Dio era, that's some of my favorite music period. The one two punch of heaven and hell/mob rules is amazing

Never was much of a Sabbath fan apart from these two albums.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #208 on: June 12, 2012, 03:39:25 PM »
Heaven And Hell is a TAC Top 25, and nothing with Ozzy even comes close, but if someone is going to start with Black Sabbath it HAS to be Ozzy era.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2012, 04:39:56 PM »
Been in an old school Sabbath mood lately, was spinning Sabotage and Vol 4 just the other day, man the nostalgia.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.