Author Topic: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls  (Read 557895 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Iron Maiden Thread v. The Merge of Souls
« Reply #10360 on: March 25, 2024, 09:35:36 AM »
The Hu are opening the US tour. WTF??
My kid just told me. Exciting!  And fantastic for the Hu.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10361 on: March 25, 2024, 09:36:47 AM »
The Hu are opening the US tour. WTF??

Well deserved and a giant exposure for them!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10362 on: March 25, 2024, 09:38:00 AM »
Well deserved and a giant exposure for them!
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10363 on: March 25, 2024, 09:38:42 AM »
Who?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #10365 on: March 25, 2024, 09:39:14 AM »
At least they're better than Lauren Harris. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10367 on: March 25, 2024, 09:40:12 AM »
The Hu go hard.  We saw them a couple of years ago.  We were pretty close to the front.  Fantastically entertaining.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10368 on: March 25, 2024, 09:42:12 AM »
Are they on first?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10369 on: March 25, 2024, 09:42:44 AM »
Mongolian metal band

Interesting music. But I'm not a huge fan of this choice.  I saw them open for Five Finger Death Punch and Megadeth a couple years ago.  They aren't bad and actually are pretty unique and offer something that you don't normally see.  It's just not music that makes me get excited I guess.  Much better than a Harris child, but not quite as good as some of the other openers they've had (Ghost, Within Temptation, Alice Cooper).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10370 on: March 25, 2024, 09:46:13 AM »
Are they on first?
Yeah, they are opening for IM.

Mongolian metal band

Interesting music. But I'm not a huge fan of this choice.  I saw them open for Five Finger Death Punch and Megadeth a couple years ago.  They aren't bad and actually are pretty unique and offer something that you don't normally see.  It's just not music that makes me get excited I guess.  Much better than a Harris child, but not quite as good as some of the other openers they've had (Ghost, Within Temptation, Alice Cooper).
Yeah, but I would imagine that for most Maiden fans, it almost doesn't matter who the opener is, especially if it's a more similar act like those last 3 you mentioned, because hardcore IM fans are going regardless.

But this has me and my kid, neither of whom care for Maiden, excited about going to a Maiden show, because the Hu are opening. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #10371 on: March 25, 2024, 09:47:23 AM »
Ghost is, to this day, the best band I've ever seen open for Iron Maiden. Not counting a festival when Slipknot went on beforehand.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10372 on: March 25, 2024, 09:52:45 AM »
Yeah, they are opening for IM.
Yeah, but I would imagine that for most Maiden fans, it almost doesn't matter who the opener is, especially if it's a more similar act like those last 3 you mentioned, because hardcore IM fans are going regardless.

But this has me and my kid, neither of whom care for Maiden, excited about going to a Maiden show, because the Hu are opening.

Yeah, I'm mostly sharing my personal opinion which is kind of meh on them, but I get it.  The options could be significantly worse.  For the two shows I am going to, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them we miss the Hu and the other we see them. They aren't bad at all, just maybe not a band I would ahve chosen.  That's OK.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10373 on: March 25, 2024, 10:04:11 AM »
At least they're better than Lauren Harris.

Excellent callback to the late naughties!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10374 on: March 25, 2024, 10:21:26 AM »
Never heard their music, but I'm familiar with them. That's honestly a pretty inspired choice. Kind of makes me want to see this in CDMX. I suspect Hu would go over pretty well down there.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #10375 on: March 25, 2024, 11:19:01 AM »
I'm excited at the idea of The Hu as an opener.  Throat-singing as a concept is always intriguing to look at and I think, "How do they keep themselves well-conditioned with that style of singing tour by tour?"

I would peg them to be a step up as an opener compared to me seeing Fozzy and The Raven Age opening for Maiden when I saw them in 2019 (and I had no issues with those two opening bands).

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #10376 on: March 25, 2024, 11:32:56 AM »
Never heard of The Hu, but after years of complaining about Maiden bringing their kids on tour constantly I feel like people should be happy about this choice regardless.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10377 on: March 25, 2024, 01:33:53 PM »
Another way to see it: it's a very interesting and diverse band that most likely - unless they truly conquer you and you become a fan - you will never pay to see them live. You already were going to see Bruce anyway and would have been stuck with any support act that would have been chosen, why not take the chance to enjoy something you'll never see again?

(Side idea for a thread: bands that "I would probably never pay to go to their concert but if they pop up in a festival bill or as a support act, I'll make sure to not miss them"  ;D)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10378 on: March 25, 2024, 01:59:50 PM »
Another way to see it: it's a very interesting and diverse band that most likely - unless they truly conquer you and you become a fan - you will never pay to see them live. You already were going to see Bruce anyway and would have been stuck with any support act that would have been chosen, why not take the chance to enjoy something you'll never see again?

(Side idea for a thread: bands that "I would probably never pay to go to their concert but if they pop up in a festival bill or as a support act, I'll make sure to not miss them"  ;D)

I think most people, myself included, would just generally like an opener that they want to see or know already.  I generally do agree with you.  The Hu are different and they aren't bad at all.  Check it out and maybe you'll like it, or come a little later.  While I may have a negative slant (just because I don't love them) this is generally not a bad choice.  It could be far worse and I honestly thought for sure we were getting a Harris child since they didn't announce an opener for so long.

Here's a video of mine from their show two summers ago:

The HU - Wolf Totem LIVE @ PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel NJ 9/14/2022

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10379 on: March 25, 2024, 02:04:48 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10380 on: March 25, 2024, 02:16:01 PM »
I'd have to be baked.

:rollin I was! I remember liking their set, but never thought to go back and listen to an album or go see them. They actually played locally since that show and I didn't attend.  It's a cool, unique and different style of metal they are doing, but it's not really for me or my tastes.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10381 on: March 25, 2024, 03:06:22 PM »
I love The Hu because they blend their traditional cultural music with metal. Hearing traditional music mixed with contemporary styles of music intrigues me.

With that said, I have not seen them live. Which makes me a bit more disappointed that they are not stopping in NM.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10382 on: March 25, 2024, 03:08:57 PM »
I love The Hu because they blend their traditional cultural music with metal. Hearing traditional music mixed with contemporary styles of music intrigues me.

With that said, I have not seen them live. Which makes me a bit more disappointed that they are not stopping in NM.

They just added a final date to the tour...in Phoenix.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #10383 on: March 25, 2024, 04:42:19 PM »
They just dropped a 1976 Pat Travers show from Rockpalast on YouTube. Nicko is on drums. You can actually see him! Cymbals are already far too high but his drums hadn't quite hit the obscene height they eventually got to.

https://youtu.be/JGZC0zKRGzs?si=Pt_WN2cYjGx--luo

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10384 on: March 27, 2024, 11:28:44 AM »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10385 on: Today at 11:09:28 AM »

This all the way. Not only would I make a point to see them, like Ghost a few years ago, but I'd perhaps travel somewhere to see a better version of the show. Alas, they're not playing the Mexico leg of the tour. That would have been really cool.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #10386 on: Today at 12:34:27 PM »
You know a band that opened for Iron Maiden that I enjoyed? Avatar. Those guys were GOOD.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10387 on: Today at 12:40:22 PM »
You know a band that opened for Iron Maiden that I enjoyed? Avatar. Those guys were GOOD.

Those guys are awesome.  Was that in Europe?  I'd love to see them open for IM.  Even though I saw them twice last year, I'm bummed I can't see them in a couple months locally because it's the same day as Blind Guardian (who hasn't toured the states in a long time).