Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 264726 times)

Offline emtee

Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #3465 on: April 10, 2024, 02:33:41 PM »
Rabin era is very enjoyable to me...still. And BG is worth checking out. Some great songs on it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3466 on: April 10, 2024, 03:11:44 PM »
I forgot about those outtakes on the box set.  So I guess it would be

Dear Father (which I'd have sworn was an album track, but no)
America
Vevey (Parts 1 and 2)
Montreux's Theme
Money
Abilene
Run with the Fox
Make It Easy
Love Conquers All

I included America, despite being a cover, since it sounds almost nothing like a cover (if I did a Judas Priest countdown, I'd include Diamonds and Rust and The Green Manalishi for the same reasons).  However, I didn't include I'm Down since it's basically the same as the original.

Dear Father was on Yesterdays; that may be where you thought it was on an album.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3467 on: April 11, 2024, 06:11:30 AM »
If you are including ABWH, there‘s a B-side called Vultures In The City. But it‘s probably not going to end up in anyones top 50.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline DTA

« Reply #3468 on: April 11, 2024, 08:55:01 AM »
I’d definitely be interested in a Yes countdown. Also the epic rankings are interesting - lyrics aside, I find That, That Is (what a dumb title though) to be really solid musically with a lot of cool ideas but it’s ranked close to or last on every list. They really should’ve done more in that era as TTI and Mind Drive are both great modern epics like something Neal Morse or Roine Stolt would’ve written.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3469 on: April 11, 2024, 10:18:30 AM »
I like both "That, That Is" and "Mind Drive" from the Keys sessions.  To me, they're both modern epics worthy of inclusion on lists along with the classics from the 70's.  No, they're not going to beat out "Close to the Edge" but I do put the Keys tunes on sometimes.

That said, I agree with you that the lyrics to "That, That Is" are pretty weak (as opposed to "Mind Drive" which are just incomprehensible).  I think the problem is that Jon was trying to actually convey a message, but his literal lyrics aren't nearly as good as the nonsensical stuff, which at least provides some neat verbal imagery.  And yeah, the title is kinda dumb, too.  I think it would be greatly improved by simply removing the comma.  "That That Is" actually makes more sense.  The song is about things that are.  Simple as that.  The comma makes it all awkward and is grammatically incorrect in the first place.  Between that and the "crack time" lyrics, I can see why people don't love it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3470 on: April 11, 2024, 12:02:55 PM »
I compiled a list yesterday:  193 songs (including the ABWH album and including Vultures (which is what it was called on the cassette single of Brother of Mine that I bought)).

Seems like top 50 is the number.  That's enough that some more recent material might sneak in, but it won't be too intimidating for folks that only know the catalog through Union.  I'll probably start the thread sometime this weekend.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3471 on: April 11, 2024, 12:12:50 PM »
I’d definitely be interested in a Yes countdown. Also the epic rankings are interesting - lyrics aside, I find That, That Is (what a dumb title though) to be really solid musically with a lot of cool ideas but it’s ranked close to or last on every list. They really should’ve done more in that era as TTI and Mind Drive are both great modern epics like something Neal Morse or Roine Stolt would’ve written.

I don't think it was Shirley and Julie on crack time, I think it was JON on crack time. 

Paul, got to tell you, really excited for this.  I'm pumped up for some Yes reminiscing!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3472 on: April 12, 2024, 11:39:45 AM »
Hearts, but other than that...
Good call! That's certainly right up there with Changes, but more epic. It Can Happen is also a stellar track..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3473 on: April 13, 2024, 10:47:20 PM »
So who agrees that Endless Dream is a top tier Yes epic??  :coolio

Absolutely!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3474 on: April 13, 2024, 10:49:30 PM »
I wouldn't count And You And I as an epic. That one is just one of the most beautiful love songs ever :)

I'd count it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3475 on: April 13, 2024, 10:55:54 PM »
Did we ever do a Yes song countdown?

EDIT:  Just checked, and it looks like the answer is no.  Who'd be interested?

Not qualified. Not a fan of Awaken, Close to The Edge (the song) Tormato and Open Your Eyes. Fell of the wagon after 2003 (before Jon Anderson left)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3476 on: April 13, 2024, 11:01:15 PM »
Dear Father was on Yesterdays; that may be where you thought it was on an album.

Also a bonus track on the Time And A Word remasters after Yesterdays.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #3477 on: April 22, 2024, 01:47:00 PM »
Just got a ticket to their warm-up show for the UK/Euro tour - next week in a small town in Cornwall, a couple of hours drive from where I live. I expect it shall be a somewhat ropey affair. But I couldn't pass up the chance to see Yes in a 250 capacity venue. Hopefully it'll still be an enjoyable night!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3478 on: April 22, 2024, 03:51:13 PM »
Just dropping this link here in case anyone hasn't see the countdown thread.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58938.0
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung