Author Topic: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread  (Read 137584 times)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Black Sabbath Discussion Thread
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:00:57 AM »
Discuss this awesome "80's band" (briang's words, not mine :neverusethis2:) here :hat

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:10:58 AM »
One of my favorite bands ever.  I just wish there were more live material from the early (Ozzy) days. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:20:21 AM »
Do you have any of their DVDs? I've only got The Last Supper and The Black Sabbath Story - Volume 1.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 10:23:13 AM »
Just got the first 6 albums a weeks ago.

My God!!!! Black Sabbath fucking owns!!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 10:25:19 AM »
Do you have any of their DVDs? I've only got The Last Supper and The Black Sabbath Story - Volume 1.

I only have The Black Sabbath Story Volume 1, which is an excellent dvd.   That performance of War Pigs in Paris KILLS.   :metal :metal :metal   But that dvd left me hungry for more videos of the old days... when Bill Ward was a beast on drums. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:26:18 AM »

I only have The Black Sabbath Story Volume 1, which is an excellent dvd.   That performance of War Pigs in Paris KILLS.   :metal :metal :metal   But that dvd left me hungry for more videos of the old days... when Bill Ward was a beast on drums. 
Bill Ward suprised me a lot! Man he could fucking kill on those early days!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:29:43 AM »
These guys get too much credit in metal.

The first metal song was obviously "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 10:31:02 AM »
Great band! My favourite period is definitely the Ozzy era. I have nothing against Dio, but without Ozzy it just wasn't the same band any more. His voice WAS Black Sabbath, for me anyway.

Favourite albums are Paranoid and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, while Never Say Die! is a really underrated album.

The Last Supper is a great DVD with the original lineup :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 11:17:53 AM »
I listened to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath this morning. Their best, no doubt. :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 11:57:31 AM »
I listened to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath this morning. Their best, no doubt. :metal

That and Sabotage are my 2 faves.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 12:10:08 PM »
Whilst stuck in MP's forum for the last week I participated in the ultimate Sabbath polls for the first 7 albums.  I was amazed that every one of those albums had 2 or 3 songs that were nearly impossible to choose from.  No other bands can do that.  If I were to go through and pick again, I'd probably wind up with 7 different picks. 

The only one that was easy for me was favorite album. 
On the edge of the blade, but no one makes the hero bleed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 12:32:29 PM »
Ozzy era..now...

My Top 10 Sabbath tunes:

1.Megalomania
2. Into The Void
3. Spiral Architect
4. Junior’s Eyes
5. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
6. The Writ
7. Supernaut.
8. NIB
9. Symptom Of The Universe
10. War Pigs

I love the Riunion Live album!
But my fave studio Ozzy era album is definitely Sabotage. I do like Never Say Die. I just do....
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 01:05:08 PM »
TAC... WHERE IS YOUR MAIDEN AVATAR?!?!

Offline JoeBob

• I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 01:46:41 PM »
Definitely one of my favorite bands of all time.  The Ozzy era is unparalleled (those first 6 albums are all 10/10 for me).  My favorite albums are Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Master of Reality, Self Titled, Paranoid, Vol. 4, Sabotage and Heaven and Hell.  So pretty much the whole of the Ozzy era except for the last 2 and Heaven and Hell.
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 05:02:26 PM »
briang is silly.  Everybody knows that bands who were great in the 70's put out inferior music in the 80's.  It's a rule.  The corollary of course is that you never refer to such bands as "80's bands" because that's actually an insult to 70's bands.  Violators of the rules deserve to be violated.

Anyway, Ozzy era blah blah blah, Dio is great but blah blah blah, Iommi is underrated and his fingers you know blah blah blah.

Sorry, I love the original Sabbath, but it gets tough to come up with new things to say about them.  The first five are solid gold.  For some reason, though, I broke up with Sabbath after that, and never really checked out Sabotage, which seems to be highly regarded.  I should remedy that situation.

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 05:33:55 PM »
i think it would be cool if they had a tour with all three singers. each full sets

there was a singer after dio named tony martin for thoes who dont know that.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 05:45:09 PM »
briang is silly.  Everybody knows that bands who were great in the 70's put out inferior music in the 80's.  It's a rule. 
Rush would like to have a word with you.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 05:54:47 PM »
Sabbath are one of the greatest metal bands ever. I've only gotten into the Ozzy and Dio eras, nothing more.

I was actually listening to Symptom of the Universe this morning, wow, what an incredible song.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 06:19:25 PM »
briang is silly.  Everybody knows that bands who were great in the 70's put out inferior music in the 80's.  It's a rule.  The corollary of course is that you never refer to such bands as "80's bands" because that's actually an insult to 70's bands.  Violators of the rules deserve to be violated.

Anyway, Ozzy era blah blah blah, Dio is great but blah blah blah, Iommi is underrated and his fingers you know blah blah blah.

Sorry, I love the original Sabbath, but it gets tough to come up with new things to say about them.  The first five are solid gold.  For some reason, though, I broke up with Sabbath after that, and never really checked out Sabotage, which seems to be highly regarded.  I should remedy that situation.

Mos def.  You might end up loving Sabotage more than those first five. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 06:59:11 PM »

Sorry, I love the original Sabbath, but it gets tough to come up with new things to say about them.  The first five are solid gold. For some reason, though, I broke up with Sabbath after that, and never really checked out Sabotage, which seems to be highly regarded.  I should remedy that situation.

Mos def.  You might end up loving Sabotage more than those first five. 
Indeed.  I mentioned earlier having a hard time picking a favorite from each album.  Sabotage gave me the hardest time.  The Thrill of it All, Megalomania, and the Writ.  How can you choose a favorite?  Fuck. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 10:56:43 PM »
Dio-era owns all other Sabbath eras.  The Ozzy stuff is certainly groundbreaking, and I love it, but it's way too overplayed for me.

Tony Martin is incredibly underrated.  I wish those 80's albums were still in print.  The only one I've got is Eternal Idol.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 04:41:44 AM »
Oh yeah, I have an Epiphone Iommi SG. It's pretty good, it's even got the pickups they use in the Gibson model :hat

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 04:47:48 AM »
Dio-era owns all other Sabbath eras.  The Ozzy stuff is certainly groundbreaking, and I love it, but it's way too overplayed for me.

Tony Martin is incredibly underrated.  I wish those 80's albums were still in print.  The only one I've got is Eternal Idol.

The Ozzy era will ALWAYS be king in my book, the music is just legendary, but I love every other era of the band too, even when it essentially just became Tony Iommi's solo band.  I agree that Tony Martin is an underrated singer.  The guy could definitely wail, especially on songs like The Shining, or Headless Cross.  I keep meaning to check out some of his solo stuff (I think he came out with an album at some point recently).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 06:34:44 AM »

Hey Grapp, good to see you here!!
I was just on Best Buy's website yesterday and they had a couple of the Martin era albums available. I ignored them myself during this time. The last thing I got from them was Seventh Star (the one with Glenn Hughes). I am planning on going back and rediscovering the Martin era.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 06:46:13 AM »
Anybody listen to Iommi's solo stuff?

His album "Fused" with Glenn Hughes is amazing :hat

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 07:44:08 AM »
Anybody listen to Iommi's solo stuff?

His album "Fused" with Glenn Hughes is amazing :hat
I have not. Does Hughes sing on the whole thing,?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 07:50:47 AM »
Hell yeah he does.

I really can't recommend Fused enough, it's such a good album. In fact, I'm going to listen to it right now.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 09:50:17 AM »
The Ozzy era will ALWAYS be king in my book, the music is just legendary
QFT!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 10:17:47 AM »
briang is silly.  Everybody knows that bands who were great in the 70's put out inferior music in the 80's.  It's a rule. 
Rush would like to have a word with you.

We talked about it, and have reached an understanding. 

Geddy admits that his lame attempts to play keyboards and add a dimension to their sound that wasn't lacking in the first place wasn't as lame as I make it out to be, and I admitted that it actually does add something, whether it was needed or not.  I did point out to him that Oberheim is not the only keyboard manufacturer in the world, and that their synths actually have more than one patch and he said "What?  No way!"

Alex explained to me that his penchant for cranking the pre-gain while simultaneously dropping post-gain was all just an attempt to make it harder for budding guitarists to figure out what chords he was playing the first place, and he admits he might have taken it just a bit too far.  I told him that he inverts chords like nobody's business and his parts are already impossible to copy anyway and he went "Oh shi-". 

Neil of course is perfect, and wouldn't talk to me because, well, he's perfect.  I think he was writing a book or something and couldn't be bothered.

We ended up agreeing to disagree, because while we all agreed that Moving Pictures is their best album, it's really an 80's album that came out in the 70's, and that just plain mucked up anything else we could say about it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 10:21:39 AM »
Orbert, I completely agree with you. Thank you very much!

Online Dream Team

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 01:58:27 PM »
Butler's tone on Master of Reality kills.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 03:31:31 PM »
For some reason, though, I broke up with Sabbath after that, and never really checked out Sabotage, which seems to be highly regarded.  I should remedy that situation.
Yes you should! Megalomania is great!

Hey Grapp, good to see you here!!
I was just on Best Buy's website yesterday and they had a couple of the Martin era albums available. I ignored them myself during this time. The last thing I got from them was Seventh Star (the one with Glenn Hughes). I am planning on going back and rediscovering the Martin era.

I picked up a used copy of the remastered Eternal Idol today. Tony Martin is OUTSTANDING! Really! I completely ignored them in the mid to late 80's.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 05:38:03 PM »
Okay, I checked out "side one" of Sabotage on the way home yesterday, and "side two" on the way in to work today.

That some good shit!

I like that there's more of the upbeat stuff, not so much slow heavy BOM BOM BA-DA-BOM!  Also, the sound seems more refined or better produced.  And "Supertzar" - what the hell was that?!  What a crazy track.  Choir juxtaposed with electric guitars?  I like.  I'm glad they didn't stop with the instrumentals and experimental stuff.  The occassional acoustic rhythm guitar here and there, Ozzy screaming in head voice (which I'm sure he can't even do anymore), that kind of thing.  Gonna give it another spin or two over the next few days, but initial rating is 8/10, with a strong chance of going higher.

Also, I need to revisit Heaven and Hell, which was actually one of the first ones I bought on vinyl, like 100 years ago.  I used to really like it, then someone told me it sucked because Dio is so inferior to Ozzy, and I listened to them.  Teenagers are so impressionable.  In some ways I like Dio better; his voice doesn't bug the fuck out of me like Ozzy's does from overexposure to bad post-Sabbath material.  But it's not on my iPod and I know I've got it somewhere.  Probably on my external hard drive...

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 05:52:31 PM »
That's cool that you're diggin Sabotage. That is one my-t-fine album.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 10:41:33 PM »
Listened to it again tonight, all the way through.  Still good, rating stays at 8/10.

Still have to load Heaven and Hell onto the iPod, but in the meantime I noticed I have Technical Ecstasy.  Might as well check that one out next.  I always liked the cover, though it's pretty low-tech by today's standards.