Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 215287 times)

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2010, 06:17:39 AM »
I still haven't seen either of the angels ones or the latest :blush

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2010, 07:11:39 AM »
Meh I didn't really like that last episode. It started off quite promising then got a bit too silly for my taste.

Next episode does look pretty cool though.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #142 on: May 09, 2010, 07:51:55 AM »
Doctor Who too silly? Does not compute. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2010, 11:31:03 AM »
Yeah, half the joy is that it's not up its own arse. But then everyone's threshold is somewhere else!

I was really surprised by the perception filter bit. Wasn't expecting them to have another form, let alone anything that creepy and fantastically rendered. Big jawdropper moment, that.

I'm not sure if there's actually a monster in the next one. Which would be a first for the revived show.

Little tidbit... the Dream Lord in the next episode does the voice of Dobby.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2010, 06:50:14 AM »
Sorry, I guess I'm just not as into it as you Dr Who fanboys  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2010, 02:59:52 PM »
Sorry, I guess I'm just not awesome as you guys  :hefdaddy
Indeed.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline faemir

« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2010, 03:04:36 PM »
Caught up.

How was it silly? Sure the villains weren't interesting or anything, but the additions to the story arc were interesting, and Matt's acting utterly fucking stole the show. Just wow.

Excited for Saturday :hefdaddy

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2010, 01:32:48 AM »
This week's was great yet again! The dreamlord character was awesomely creepy, wonder if we'll see him again later in the series. Seems to be along the same lines as the Valeyard from I think the 6th doctor? Could be an official return possibly!

I really liked Amy and Rory's character progressions in this one.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2010, 06:24:54 AM »
Yeah, this was definitely Amy and Rory's episode. Nice to see she's had the Doctor-shagging beat out of her. It was good while it lasted, but I would begin to find it veeeery tricky to like her if she kept on lusting after el Doctorado when she had a fiance back home.

Back to the ep, wasn't expecting the twist at the very end! Very neat.  And, hey! An episode set entirely aboard the TARDIS. One of the classic ming-mong requests. I feel like both of the previous two episodes have been overshadowed a bit by the last two parter, though. I'm still reeling from how good Flesh and Stone was.

Not entirely sure what to make of the next one... mainly 'cause I know chuff all about it, except who the villain is! And all of the synopses just hint at the villain. I'm concerned that it might not be as good as the last two parter. It's traditionally the second two-parter which is in the best episode in the series - or in fierce competition for it. The Empty Child, The Impossible Planet, Human Nature and Silence in the Library I think would all make my top five. That said, I was hesitant about SITL on the basis of the trailer before it (seriously, its trailer was REALLY underwhelming), so hey!

Seems to be along the same lines as the Valeyard from I think the 6th doctor? Could be an official return possibly!
I've heard about the Valeyard. Partly as a milestone of silly Time Lord names. I doubt that was the intention, but I'm sure people will equate him with it - quite fairly. They're both manifestations of that kind of business (wording it coyly in case anyone who's not watched is reading!), so it makes a bit of sense.

Speaking of trailers...

a. Have you noticed how they're all becoming a lot more dramatic and weird, lately? It's a good trend.

and b. Shouldn't we be getting one of those spectacular mid-season trailers around now? They usually time it for the Eurovision gap, but I don't think the series is hiatusing for EV this year. I hope we still get one, though. They're fantastic.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2010, 07:33:33 AM »
Yeah hard to tell much about the next double episode, but they're written by Chris Chibnall who's one of the main Torchwood writers, wo I'm expecting it to be pretty intense at the very least.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2010, 07:54:54 AM »
Aye. He gets a bit of a bad rap from the mingmongs, but anyone who's written Exit Wounds, Adrift, Fragments, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and 42 gets a gold medal from ol' Rob.

EDIT: Oh, and his episode of Life on Mars! Wonderful.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:01:58 AM by robwebster »

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #151 on: May 18, 2010, 03:04:53 PM »
Anyone notice how Amy's line "Then what is the point of you?" is exactly what Gwen says when Rhys "Dies" in Torchwood?

NUGGETZ
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline faemir

« Reply #152 on: May 19, 2010, 11:32:43 AM »
Just saw it. Really great. Man this reboot is sooo good ;D

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #153 on: May 19, 2010, 01:52:08 PM »
Just finally got my hands on ep. 3, watching it after work. :metal
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline faemir

« Reply #154 on: May 19, 2010, 02:15:38 PM »
3? Wow, catch up man you are missing out!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2010, 02:20:52 PM »
Yeah, christ!

4&5 should be worldwide by now. They're essential.

ESSENTIAL.

Watch them at the same time, too. I think they benefit from it. Like a film.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #156 on: May 19, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »
I was at college for the most of the time the season has been running with access only to episode 2 so yeah, lots of catching up to do.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #157 on: May 19, 2010, 03:37:51 PM »
Anyone notice how Amy's line "Then what is the point of you?" is exactly what Gwen says when Rhys "Dies" in Torchwood?

NUGGETZ
I hadn't noticed that, good catch.

Just saw it. Really great. Man this reboot is sooo good ;D
Glad you're enjoying it so much, sounds like your brother has stopped ruining it for you! :lol ;)

I be am boner inducing.

Offline faemir

« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2010, 07:06:38 AM »
He was converted on the vampire episode - Matt is so great :tup

Offline robwebster

« Reply #159 on: May 20, 2010, 07:07:52 AM »
He is, the man's incredible. I like him more than David Tennant, nowadays. And I had a pretty major mancrush on David Tennant.

I'm feeling a new Matt Smith avatar coming on...

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #160 on: May 20, 2010, 09:19:59 AM »
I think Matt Smith has taken the "Comical Yet Serious" formula and perfected it, as he has had me laughing much more than David Tennant ever did, but I also take him much more seriously when he has his ZOMG outbursts.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #161 on: May 20, 2010, 09:28:09 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I thought Tennant was brilliant, but there's something about Smith that feels like the role has been taken to the next level. Like you say, his funny bits are seriously funny, but he also gets angry and panics at times, which really feels very genuine. Tennant was quite slick and almost too nice all the time. Not that it's a bad thing at all, I love that each doctor has his own personality, it's just refreshing to have something a bit different. :)

Still watching classic Who at the moment, coming towards the end of the 2nd Doctor's era. I'm actually enjoying it quite a lot, though obviously it requires more patience than new Who.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #162 on: May 20, 2010, 07:29:02 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACkJi97xZcg

Compulsory viewing, for any fans of Karen Gillan.

(It's Karen dancing, while pregnant. Better than it sounds.)

Offline robwebster

« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2010, 08:12:31 PM »
Right, The Hungry Earth. If you're in the US and you don't want to be spoiled, put your fingers in your ears and start singing to yourself. That way your hands will be well away from the mouse so's you won't be able to scroll down and read the post, plus you get to listen to a funky song courtesy of yourself. It's a win-win scenario. I've put a big chunk of plot-summary in spoiler-small but hey! Just... continue at your own discretion. Don't be a div, is really the moral of this overly long spoiler warning.

The Hungry Earth

First time I've been a teeny bit underwhelmed this series. It felt more like a prelude.

I really like all the elements - full of funny bits and interesting bits - but it was quite linear. "Right, here's what he's doing, here's what she's doing" - getting all the basic background stuff out of the way. The calm before the storm. It wasn't jam packed like, say, The Stolen Earth, which I still have trouble beliving is only forty-five minutes long. Plus, the majority of it was covered in the trailer.

I mean, in the Next Time trailer, you could see that a man would get taken beneath the ground, graves were being consumed from beneath, the ground swallowed up Amy, a Silurian would chase a child through a graveyard, and then the Doctor would remove its mask - which is more or less the entire plot of the episode. Because the episode isn't a full plot, it's just the beginning of a story.

Next episode looks spectacular, on the other hand, so hey! It'll get straight into that.

I don't like being negative about things I love, so I'm going to list the fantastic things now. Including!

- Amy and Rory and Amy and Rory.
- The capture scene.
- The dissections! (!! Oh horrifying. I'm very worried for Amy. Scariest concept yet.)
- The Doctor confronting the Silurian. ("You are beautiful!")
- The Silurians themselves! I really like them. They're fantastic creations.
- The setting. Gorgeous.

Everything about it was right, there just wasn't enough of it. I just wanted them to reveal the damn Silurians, and that took the best part of half an hour! And while I love-love-loved seeing it all play out on screen - snippits of the graveyard scene don't even nearly match up to seeing the actual thing, obviously - I never quite submerged myself in the world because I just wanted it to get on with it. But I didn't feel like I'd been on an adventure, afterward.

But again. Everything was beautiful and wonderful and cheeky and quintessential Doctor Who... it was just... slow. I mean, take The Impossible Planet, Silence in the Library, Human Nature - they introduce all these enigmas and problems and you wonder how they can possibly get out of that in the next episode. I feel now like I've just found out how the Doctor in particular is going to get into it. And then out of it.

Interestingly, watching DWC, apparently they cut a lot of material from this episode. They showed clips from one massive deleted scene in which Amy and the Doctor were approaching the drilling site - it was a lovely scene, brimming with character development. I really wish that was left in. I think, when it's so preludey, you need as many of those warm touches as possible to attach to it.

I have included promo art because, a. I'm pretentious and want to split up the screen, and b. 'cause it's gorgeous. That's just how I'm going to live my life. I'm very sorry.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2010, 04:33:04 AM »
I pretty much agree with all of that. I liked it but more than usual it really felt like the first of a two-parter, setting things up. But I always treat two-parters as one entity, so if the second part is as good as it looks then I certainly won't be disappointed!

And there was some great stuff within this episode as well. The graveyard chase scene was really quite creepy, and when he confronts the silurian, even though it's not so scary anymore, it's a lovely scene.

And Meera Syal's character is so sweet! :D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:12:56 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2010, 12:05:51 PM »
Ahh! Yes. I liked her. I liked all the supporting cast, actually. And it's nice to see the Doctor taking a tardis trip with someone who's not the companion. That's always exciting, for some reason.

Who do we reckon's gonna kill Alaya? My vote goes to the woman on the left. The mother. With the van-weapons. If anyone, could all be a red herring.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2010, 12:11:38 PM »
Just finished watching Vampires in Venice, it was pretty solid. And damn, how could you say no to Amy? The Doctor's got some will power for that one haha. And the more Matt Smith episodes I watch, the more I like him. He might be contesting with Tennant for my favorite Doctor...

Offline robwebster

« Reply #167 on: May 23, 2010, 12:16:23 PM »
I know, jesus. I usually don't fawn over actresses, but I would more than happily swim through a sewer of piranhas and shite for a chance with her.

Bit of trivia, according to ep 1 my hometown is namechecked the town closest to Leadworth. Amy kisses strange men for a living. I'm a strange man! I'd like to think that in the Whoniverse I've probably had a quick smooch with Amy. I'd cough up fo'shizzle.

It's canon!

And yeah, I didn't think anyone would beat Tennant. Even when he was announced, I was going "I don't really want anyone to replace ol' Davey, but if they're going to then I guess this guy might be half as good as him." But he was born to play the Doctor. Smith will be looked back on as a definitive incarnation of the fella, I'm sure of it. Even moreso than Tennant. The Tom Baker to Tennant's Pertwee.

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2010, 12:21:08 PM »
Yeah I'm not one to have a strange crush on actresses but Amy's the exception.  :lol Dude, a man can dream.

Definitely agree with that point too, Tennant's a tough one to beat but Smith is on course to do it. Both seem so natural with the role and make it so much more entertaining. I think another part of what makes Smith so great is that him and Amy work really well together. They have very good chemistry, better than any Doctor has had with his companion imo.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #169 on: May 23, 2010, 12:27:24 PM »
Aye, mindboggling! I don't think of them as actors playing the characters for even a second, I just see Amy and the Doctor. Bickering away. Their off set chemistry is great, too. I don't know if you've watched any DWC, but they're hilarious in it. I'm tempted to link to a video. They mess around a hell of a lot.

Add Steven Moffat as head writer to the equation, and I don't think the show's ever been in better hands. This is the Golden Age of Doctor Who. Wonderful.

The only reason I'm slightly hesitant to say any of this, is because I said it all about Russell T. Davies, Chris Eccleston and Billie Piper, and later Russell T. Davies, David Tennant and Catherine Tate. I was sure they were the pinnacle, and then Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Steven Moffat came along and knocked one out of the park. That said, I don't know how much better it could plausibly get.

Offline Zeltar

« Reply #170 on: May 23, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »
Hm, I actually liked Rose better with Tennant than with Eccleston but yeah that was some damn good chemistry too. I think it'll keep getting better, as we've seen with each Doctor. Eccleston was damn good, then Tennant one upped him, then here comes Smith who is even better in my opinion. I have confidence that the next Doctor will be just as good. But let's not look that far ahead, let's enjoy Smith/Gillan :) And who would've thought that the Golden Age of Doctor Who would be this late into the show's existence. Awesome.

Oh yeah dude link a video for me, I don't watch DWC. I don't even know what that is haha.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2010, 12:43:28 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga0RwWthtnU

Here we go! DWC is Doctor Who Confidential. Pretty sure you've seen Flesh & Stone so it'll be fine to watch.

Also, I hate speculating on potential Doctors when there's a perfectly good incumbent, but as you mention competent successors, I was just watching the finale of Ashes to Ashes on Friday (heartrending!), and I think Daniel Mays would be mindblowing. Odd-looking but fantastic.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2010, 01:23:08 PM »
I concur with all the Smith/Gillan love. Although Amy Pond is far from the first smokin' companion the Doctor has had. Even as far back as the second Doctor he had Victoria Waterfield (very pretty face) and Zoe Heriot (all round hottie). The latter in particular had a tendency to wear short skirts and sparkly catsuits!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #173 on: May 24, 2010, 06:15:14 AM »
I love the Matt Doctor.  I'm confused as to why my brothers do not.  They don't even *like* him.

Psh, Tennant fanboys (not that there's anything wrong with that :)).

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #174 on: May 24, 2010, 10:49:29 AM »
Having totally abandoned Dr. Who last year I have to admit that I've really enjoyed this series so far.

They actually have proper stories and not just a load of rubbish special effects. Russell T. Davies leaving is the best thing that could've possibly happened it would appear.

Also Karen Gillan  ;D
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard