Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539617 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #455 on: May 24, 2011, 01:02:32 AM »
Neal did an amazing version of Bridge Across Forever at tonight's show!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #456 on: May 24, 2011, 01:58:19 AM »
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #457 on: May 24, 2011, 02:32:07 AM »
omg that was an incredible show! first time seeing Neal Morse everrr.

Jayda was a very emotional song live. and hearing Neal explain it and start crying while singing it made it that much more special. Also i LOVED Bridge Across Forever! . hell the whole show was amazing!!

and i got to meet tick today too!!

edit:
i was pretty much front row dead center xD

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:19:07 PM by Scrub206 »

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #458 on: May 24, 2011, 08:10:25 AM »
Wow, what a night! I was completely floored. Besides the astounding talent on the stage, it is inspiring to watch Neal Morse perform. What a humble man. At one point someone screamed out something like, "yeah party!" as Neal was speaking of the state he was in when he found out his daughter was healed. Neal softly responded with class.
This show was one of those shows that really stays with you when its over.

It was a pleasure seeing Nick coming and going. He asked me as I was leaving what I thought of the show? At the time the only thing that came to mind was, "wonderful". I don't think that adequately summed it up, but the proper words eluded me at the time. It was also nice to meet scrub206 as well.
My wife, maybe one of 10 women in the venue, predictably cried continuously all night long. Last night was a dream come true for her.

The songs that hit me the hardest were "The Separated Man" (thanks Nick for posting it, I'm listening as we speak!) in the first set, and I was completely blown away by the entire "testimony 2" album in a way I didn't see coming. It was so emotional to watch Neal's heart on display, it was like few things I have experienced live.

What a night.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #459 on: May 24, 2011, 12:16:08 PM »
Sounds cool.  I would love to have seen this little tour, but he never comes to St. Louis.  Oh well.  At least they're gonna record and release a DVD of one of the shows, so that will be sweet at least.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #460 on: May 25, 2011, 07:21:11 AM »
Still kicking myself for not going to the NYC show. Money's a bitch, though, and dredg/Blackfield were more important to me, so I can't say I'm disappointed with my decision.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline unklejman

« Reply #461 on: May 25, 2011, 07:29:56 AM »
https://www.nickeh.com/samples/theseperatedman.mp3

Raw, from the NYC show.

Thanks for that, I actually had to step out of the concert for this song unfortunately. Is it just me or is the violin really flat?  :-\

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #462 on: May 25, 2011, 04:00:55 PM »
Finally heard Testimony 2 today. The first 6 or 7 songs were really, really, really good- but then there is a clear drop in quality where the music goes from being amazing to bland, generic, and quite dull. I imagine it has something to do with the fact that after the first half, Neal shifted his focus to the lyrics, at which point the music began to be less important to him.

Overall ranking 6/10

EDIT: For clarity's sake, I'm not trying to take a shot at Neal's message. I find a few of his other albums (namely One, ?, SS) to be pretty much perfect from cover to cover, so it's not like I dislike it because it gets very preachy at the end (although the lyrics do definitely get boring after awhile, for me anyway)
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #463 on: May 25, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Finally heard Testimony 2 today. The first 6 or 7 songs were really, really, really good- but then there is a clear drop in quality where the music goes from being amazing to bland, generic, and quite dull. I imagine it has something to do with the fact that after the first half, Neal shifted his focus to the lyrics, at which point the music began to be less important to him.

Overall ranking 6/10

EDIT: For clarity's sake, I'm not trying to take a shot at Neal's message. I find a few of his other albums (namely One, ?, SS) to be pretty much perfect from cover to cover, so it's not like I dislike it because it gets very preachy at the end (although the lyrics do definitely get boring after awhile, for me anyway)

I kind of get that except for I don't think the gap is as big as your saying. "It's for You" is quite great imo, and the closer is also really good. Also the outro hits me emotionally when he talks about leaving the band he loves so much and moving on.  I also agree with you on ? and One being pretty much perfect. Sola, not so much, although it has some good stuff it in.  

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #464 on: May 25, 2011, 04:21:27 PM »
Yea, the last song is definitely the best one of the later half of the album, but then again, a lot of it is a reprise of the first song, which I've already said is unrealistically good.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #465 on: May 25, 2011, 04:28:09 PM »
Seeds of Gold is pretty cool.  Not sure yet if I put it on quite as high a pedastal as some here, but it's early yet, since I've only really heard it once.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #466 on: May 25, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »
Seeds of Gold is pretty cool.  Not sure yet if I put it on quite as high a pedastal as some here, but it's early yet, since I've only really heard it once.

Yea I forgot to check out the Bonus Disc until just now. I'm up to SoG, and it's pretty good, but I agree that some of his epics are better.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #467 on: May 25, 2011, 04:31:02 PM »
Yeah, I haven't digested Seed of Gold yet, but it's growing, and it has a different feel than most of Neal's stuff which is a good thing.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #468 on: May 25, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
For me, Seeds Of Gold gets more epic every time I hear it. It was great live.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #469 on: May 25, 2011, 04:36:10 PM »

Yeah, I can see that it would.  There is a lot going on that is difficult to take in after a listen or ten. 

Oh, and the book is pretty good too so far.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #470 on: May 25, 2011, 05:44:18 PM »

Yeah, I can see that it would.  There is a lot going on that is difficult to take in after a listen or ten. 

Oh, and the book is pretty good too so far.
I'm almost done with the book. Very inspiring read.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #471 on: May 25, 2011, 06:21:51 PM »
Yeah, Seeds of Gold is...a lot. I like it, but it'll take some time to "get it."

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #472 on: May 25, 2011, 07:12:51 PM »
I think it's great, but I don't think it rises to the level of Stranger in Your Soul, Duel With the Devil, So Many Roads, The Great Nothing. . .  But that's just my opinion.  But I still absolutely love it, just not as much as a lot of other longer classics.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #473 on: May 25, 2011, 10:06:02 PM »
I can't agree with the second half being weaker than the first half.  "The Truth Will Set You Free" and "Crossing Over/Mercy Street Revisited" are probably the two best songs on the record, and the three song run before the last song is terrific.  Right now, the only songs I am kind of iffy on are "Time Changer" and "Jesus' Blood," but it's not I dislike either song; all of the others just seem much stronger at this point.

Also, I can't remember who said it, but suggesting that "It's for You" sounds like Muse is a major WTF.  It doesn't sound a thing like Muse. ???

Lastly, one thing I have noticed about this record is he has brought back something which has been missing in his solo work since leaving Spock's Beard: FUN!  Songs like "Nighttime Collectors," "Time Has Come Today" and "Road Dog Blues" are all rocking, upbeat and fun as hell.  Honestly, assuming Disc 2 is counted as part of the regular album and not a bonus disc, I could see this becoming my favorite or second favorite Neal solo CD.  Time will tell. :)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #474 on: May 25, 2011, 10:26:05 PM »
Honestly, assuming Disc 2 is counted as part of the regular album and not a bonus disc, I could see this becoming my favorite or second favorite Neal solo CD.  Time will tell. :)

Well considering the album is sold either as a 2CD or 2CD/1DVD set, it seems like the 2nd disc is meant to be part of the album, unlike the 2nd disc to The Whirlwind, which wasn't available with all versions of the album (since the main album was available by itself, unlike Testimony 2).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: May 25, 2011, 10:45:07 PM »
Very disappointing album.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #476 on: May 25, 2011, 10:48:08 PM »
I'll agree that generally the 2nd half isn't as good as the first half, but that being said I'd say the first half is nearly flawless and the 2nd half is very good, so still a great record at the end of the day.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #477 on: May 26, 2011, 12:21:55 AM »
I see the first disc as the 3 parts that they are, so I think the entire record is great, and most of the tracks are among his best. Ive only listened to the second disc once so Im still digesting. Seeds of Gold was interesting on first listen.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #478 on: May 26, 2011, 05:58:14 AM »
I'll agree that generally the 2nd half isn't as good as the first half, but that being said I'd say the first half is nearly flawless and the 2nd half is very good, so still a great record at the end of the day.
Watching the album performed live changed everything for me and brought it to a different level of brilliance. I love the entire album from start to finish. He tells his story perfectly.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #479 on: May 26, 2011, 08:19:06 AM »
Got Testimony 2 a couple of days ago, been listening to it.  This is my first Neal Morse solo album, not heard any of his other stuff but I'm impressed.  Really been enjoying it, lots of great melodies, loving the mix of it.  Bass sounds great! Mike sounds awesome as usual and Neals vox are incredible. I actually prefer his voice now than when he was with Spock's.  But what's really grabs me with this record is how happy it sounds, just makes me want to smile  :) Definitely buying more of Neal's solo stuff.

Offline nickel

« Reply #480 on: May 26, 2011, 09:14:51 AM »
Wow!! What an amazing show last night in Denver! We got two bonus songs!! Well, kind of. Funny thing happened during Time Changers (track 3 on T2). When the band got to the part where everything stops and they do the Spock's Beard complicated a cappella bit, Neal stopped just as he was starting it... "Whoa, hey, what is that?!?" And there was a loud hum coming over the PA system.

While they were troubleshooting the hum, Mike Portnoy and Randy George started doing a little noodling and then a fan yelled out, "The Fang... Sings!" Neal played dumb a little... "What's that one again? Is that a bonus track from somewhere?" Then Mike leaned in to one of the microphones over his cymbals and "sang" "The Fang... Sings!" and even explained where it comes from (bonus track from bonus disc of Testimony 1), which, of course, Mr. Portnoy would remember b/c he remembers all that stuff.

Then, suddenly, Neal ripped into "Heavy Metal Long Haired Blue Beard Tatooed Jew" and as soon as he started Mike sat right back down and kicked in with the drums. Randy was also right there on bass within seconds and they did about a minute or so of that one.

Finally, the hum was fixed and, without giving himself a starting note on his keyboard to get his bearings (at least I didn't hear one), Neal just started right in on the complex a cappella bit of Time Changers. Quite a highlight!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #481 on: May 26, 2011, 09:23:48 AM »
I SO hope that show is taped.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #482 on: May 26, 2011, 10:26:48 AM »
[Denver Recap]]

Whoa! I really hope this ends up as bonus material on the DVD! If anyone who went to the show camcorder'd it, it'd be nice if they sent the footage to Mike or Neal with the intent of using it on the concert DVD! It's fun and funny when moments like this happen! I mean, who knew that they'd break out two Bonus Tracks that weren't even really songs, just a jam and Mike being silly.

Either way, sounds like they had fun in Denver. Is the LA show up next? I believe this one is being filmed for the DVD, so I hope they continue to have fun and put on a great show (hopefully without technical difficulties).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #483 on: May 26, 2011, 01:02:07 PM »
You know what's really fun? When I work on my show's I track them and test for anomalies at the same time, which just essentially requires me to listen through my entire recording. I'm doing this while reading Testimony and it's cool the little connections and such that come up between what I'm hearing and reading at the moment.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #484 on: May 26, 2011, 09:14:25 PM »
Nice, I managed to sing the "One heart, one voice, one love, one spirit" section of Reunion and not make my recording sound like crap. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #485 on: May 27, 2011, 08:35:26 AM »
Want.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #486 on: May 27, 2011, 08:49:39 AM »
I've finished tracking the 16-bit version. Today I have to finish tracking the 24-bit version and then complete the note files for both shows. After that the note files go off to the guy who wants to do art for the show and then I'll release as soon as he gets art back to me.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #487 on: May 27, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »
Just popping in to share some of my thoughts on disk 1.

1. Mercy Street: Excellent song, perfect as an opener.
2. Overture 4: Not the biggest fan of any of the overtures or instrumentals.  It does its job, but not much else.
3. Time Changer: I didn't think the overlapped vocals were that good.  I felt like it was trying to hard to be a "princes, principalities" thing.  But the latter half of the song is incredible.
4. Jayda: I can't relate to this song at all.  One of my least favorites on the album...I appreciate the significance to the story, but overall I think the delivery of such a tremendous moment could have been better.

5. Nighttime Collecters: For some reason I love this song.  It was my favorite on my first listen, but right now it's probably in the top 3.  It really reminds me of "Young Lust" in both the music and what the song is about.
6. Time Has Come Today: Overall kinda forgettable...random side note, I always think of Neal wearing a sumo Santa suit at the "ho ho ho" part.
7. Jesus' Blood: I thought the imagery of the song was really strong.  I love this song (and the transition to the next).
8. The Truth Will Set You Free: I mean, it's the best, don't really need to elaborate.  On a side note, it sounds like something the NFL would use. Also does anybody know the guy who does the backing vocals? He sounds really familiar.

9. Chance of a Lifetime: Here's a song that isn't special on its own but works great in the story.  I really like it.
10. Jesus Bring Me Home: I feel like there's a song that should have come before this...in Chance, Neal expresses that he has major doubts about everything and thinks it could be a lie, but in Bring Me Home, it sounds like the Neal we know now.
11. Road Dog Blues: I am not a huge fan, but maybe if I get into Spock's, i'll have more appreciation for it.
12. It's For You: People are raving about this song in this thread, but I will be honest and say that it just does nothing for me.
13. Crossing Over/Mercy Street Revisited: I was hoping for a closer like with One, but overall, I thought it was kinda weak.

Overall...I think it suffers from the same blessing/curse as T1.  Great first two thirds or so, but meh closing tracks.  But anyway, This album either ties with One or is a little bit behind it (T1 is my #1).  I am a little bit disappointed with the references to T1.  It felt like they were just kinda thrown in for cheap thrill.  Some of them worked, like the end of Overture 4, but some just weren't that effective, like the "All I Can Do" reference.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:57:51 AM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline unklejman

« Reply #488 on: May 27, 2011, 11:01:58 AM »
It really is interesting how music is received by different people. Honestly though on first or second listen I had some of the same feelings, but after repeat listening a lot of those went away. But the big thing was the concert. Hearing it live and seeing Neal really pour himself out just made this album really special, as tick mentioned earlier. 

Just popping in to share some of my thoughts on disk 1.

1. Mercy Street: Excellent song, perfect as an opener.
2. Overture 4: Not the biggest fan of any of the overtures or instrumentals.  It does its job, but not much else.
3. Time Changer: I didn't think the overlapped vocals were that good.  I felt like it was trying to hard to be a "princes, principalities" thing.  But the latter half of the song is incredible.
4. Jayda: I can't relate to this song at all.  One of my least favorites on the album...I appreciate the significance to the story, but overall I think the delivery of such a tremendous moment could have been better.

5. Nighttime Collecters: For some reason I love this song.  It was my favorite on my first listen, but right now it's probably in the top 3.  It really reminds me of "Young Lust" in both the music and what the song is about.
6. Time Has Come Today: Overall kinda forgettable...random side note, I always think of Neal wearing a sumo Santa suit at the "ho ho ho" part.
7. Jesus' Blood: I thought the imagery of the song was really strong.  I love this song (and the transition to the next).
8. The Truth Will Set You Free: I mean, it's the best, don't really need to elaborate.  On a side note, it sounds like something the NFL would use. Also does anybody know the guy who does the backing vocals? He sounds really familiar.

9. Chance of a Lifetime: Here's a song that isn't special on its own but works great in the story.  I really like it.
10. Jesus Bring Me Home: I feel like there's a song that should have come before this...in Chance, Neal expresses that he has major doubts about everything and thinks it could be a lie, but in Bring Me Home, it sounds like the Neal we know now.
11. Road Dog Blues: I am not a huge fan, but maybe if I get into Spock's, i'll have more appreciation for it.
12. It's For You: People are raving about this song in this thread, but I will be honest and say that it just does nothing for me.
13. Crossing Over/Mercy Street Revisited: I was hoping for a closer like with One, but overall, I thought it was kinda weak.

Overall...I think it suffers from the same blessing/curse as T1.  Great first two thirds or so, but meh closing tracks.  But anyway, This album either ties with One or is a little bit behind it (T1 is my #1).  I am a little bit disappointed with the references to T1.  It felt like they were just kinda thrown in for cheap thrill.  Some of them worked, like the end of Overture 4, but some just weren't that effective, like the "All I Can Do" reference.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #489 on: May 27, 2011, 12:35:44 PM »
I find the album as a whole has very few low points, with my least favorite being Jayda right now, but it does contain the beautiful "Sad Theme" that is further elaborated during Crossing Over/Mercy Street Reprise. I find CO/MS Reprise to be a fitting ending, and though I usually don't like fade-outs, I think it is appropriate for the end of the album, and leaves the album open for Testimony 3 if it were to happen. (However I think Neal took a cue from Dream Theater, and not end every album in a bombastic way, with a big final chord, etc...)

Im also a big fan of the string section on this album. It is more powerful than usual for Neal Morse. The Truth Will Set You Free is some awesome stuff gong on. I also the overture in this album much more than on T1, maybe because of the first albums' riffs, but also the new stuff. And Time Changer is definitely something different for NM, and has a lot of Rush influence.

Mercy Street, Nighttime Collectors and Road Dog Blues are also a very fun songs, the former being very uplifting and opening with the T2 theme on piano; the latter having great sax work, and moving the story along into some of the main themes of the album. It's For You is good, but has that early 2000s mainstream rock feel to it in the chorus (but doesn't really detract from the song). The rest of the song has some awesome parts with the sweep picking on the guitar (is that Neal???) and just some crazy runs ala Is It Really Happening from The Whirlwind.

The finale of the first disc is one of Neal's best, and is the first song from this album to get stuck in my head. From the opening theme played on guitar this time, and Neal talking about leaving Spock's Beard. But the Crossing Over theme is so catchy and uplifting, and containing some of his most beautiful work (not to mention some Genesis influence), I love this ending, and is up there with the epic endings of Stranger In Your Soul, The Whirlwind, ?, One, and Duel With the Devil.

Seeds of Gold from the second disc is awesome. Those first 2 tracks are ok, solid slices of melodic rock. But Ive heard Seeds of Gold 4 times, and I still feel like I need to listen to it 4 more times just to wrap my head around it. But the parts are so good that they keep bringing me back. Plus dat solo!

4 & 1/2 stars for me (out of 5) for me right now. We'll see how this album ages, but I think it will age quite well.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:42:58 PM by darkshade »