Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539538 times)

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #210 on: April 16, 2011, 09:02:12 PM »
thanks, Marc, I will keep my eye on that site

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #211 on: April 26, 2011, 10:44:48 PM »
https://www.radiantrecords.com/

So, like a major fanboy, I went ahead and pre-ordered the 3-Disc Set + Neal's Book! It'll be an interesting read about Neal's life and, hopefully, some great insight into his life with SB and post-SB. I hope it's a very well-written and sincere look at his life, giving us stories he's never really told and things he's never really said about his former and current band mates and friends!

Also, I'm excited to be able to listen to the main album next Thursday, and legally too! I love that they're offering MP3 downloads to those who pre-order! I cannot wait to hear this album, especially "Time Changer" with guest vocalists Spock's Beard!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #212 on: April 26, 2011, 11:09:21 PM »
Of course I ended up ordering the mega-pack. Hopefully I was soon enough to get this signed like Sola and Lifeline.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #213 on: April 26, 2011, 11:32:28 PM »
At this point, I can't afford to preorder or anything. It's all good, I can wait. Marc, let me know your thoughts!

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2011, 11:55:08 PM »
can't afford it right now, but can't wait till I can

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #215 on: April 27, 2011, 12:17:30 AM »
At this point, I can't afford to preorder or anything. It's all good, I can wait. Marc, let me know your thoughts!

Oh I definitely will. Depending on what time of day on May 5th the download is available, I may not be able to listen to the album, let alone review it, until the next day, but if it is early enough (like at 8 or 9am), then I should be able to give it a quick listen. I have work scheduled at 12 noon, and I'll be busy straight til 9 or 10pm. If all else fails, I will listen to it when I get home that night and post up some quick thoughts on the album.

Of course I ended up ordering the mega-pack. Hopefully I was soon enough to get this signed like Sola and Lifeline.

I didn't realize this! I guess it'll help because if I don't expect mine to be signed and they DO come signed, I will be a VERY happy camper! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: April 27, 2011, 12:22:54 AM »
I'm thinking about getting the mega-pack, but I don't know. The actual CD is 20, which is steep anyway. But then again, I don't have Testimony 1. So I might wind up having to skip out on this for now. Or just check out an amazon mp3 version.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #217 on: April 27, 2011, 07:14:24 AM »
Wow, this is not cheap.  But I gotta bite the bullet and do it...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #218 on: April 27, 2011, 07:17:34 AM »
His stuff is never cheap at Radiant.  I'll probably just wait and buy through amazon, since a) it will be cheaper, and b) I have had bad luck with getting stuff from Radiant on time.  Sure, the mp3 downloads would eliminate the having to wait for it past the release date problem, but I just hate how they charge an arm and a leg at Radiant.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #219 on: April 27, 2011, 07:22:12 AM »
Kev, for just the CD, how much do you think it will be?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: April 27, 2011, 07:31:39 AM »
Yeah, this is not cheap at all. And you kinda get railroaded into buying the delux 40 dollar pack, since the regular edition is 22+shipping already. Huh.

I think Neal's probably not doing great financially. I remember reading that the Spock's Beard guys aren't at all, so I can't imagine things being any better for Neal. Anyway, I'd love to support his work, but I'm gonna have to wait and probably just wind up getting this from iTunes or something.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #221 on: April 27, 2011, 07:35:15 AM »
If I get this new job (which is most likely, and pays $25/hr.), I'll definitely get the biggest bundle, to support Neal and to get some other cool stuff.

But yeah. It IS a lot.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #222 on: April 27, 2011, 08:05:46 AM »
I think Neal's probably not doing great financially. I remember reading that the Spock's Beard guys aren't at all, so I can't imagine things being any better for Neal. Anyway, I'd love to support his work, but I'm gonna have to wait and probably just wind up getting this from iTunes or something.

I've often wondered how he makes ends meet.  I'm not an Inner Circle member, so I don't have a lot of inside scoop others may have, but I'm guessing there are a few things that give him an edge over the Spock's guys financially:  I think I recall hearing that he rents out his studio to other bands.  I'm not sure, but he may also work as a producer or engineer on some stuff for smaller bands, which would be a bit of extra income.  And think about it:  He's in Nashville, which has two benefits.  (1) It has a thriving music scene with lots of musicians needing studio time and people to help work on albums.  (2) It is cheaper to live there than L.A.  I'm not sure, but Neal may also sell his worship music to churches.  Personally, I have a lot of problems with that.  But there are plenty of churches that use that sort of thing, so it may be a nice extra income stream.  And unlike putting out a pop music CD that needs to be marketed and distributed through a label, for worship music, I imagine you can probably save costs by putting out the CD's more cheaply and doing more direct distribution, cutting out a lot of the costs.  Those are just some educated guesses, but if correct, that could help explain why Neal and his kids don't look malnourished or anything.  :lol  (and I think his wife may work as well)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #223 on: April 27, 2011, 08:27:21 AM »
Kev, for just the CD, how much do you think it will be?

I would guess amazon and iTunes would have it for somewhere around 15 or 16 bucks (since it is basically one CD plus a short second one, so not a true double disc), as opposed to 22 PLUS shipping at Radiant.  I understand the whole "support the artist" mentality, but not when the prices are way too high.  Supporting an artist doesn't mean I should have to grab my ankles for them, right? ;)

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #224 on: April 27, 2011, 03:43:43 PM »
Just pre-ordered the bundle. Hopefully I'll be one of the 200.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #225 on: April 29, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think he's struggling financially.  Being in the inner circle, I hear about stuff going on in the monthly newsletter.  That dude goes on so many vacations, does so many worship trips in Europe (where I doubt he's making a profit), etc.

I went with the super package, had to wait because preorders started during mortgage week, so it probably won't be signed, but I don't care about that.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2011, 08:31:35 PM »
It's only 13.98 at amazon.com.  This is for the regular 2 cd version.  The special edition (2cd + dvd) is only 3 dollars more.  I've bought his new stuff from amazon before, I don't always go through radiant.  I was suckered in with the advance digital download, and I really wanted the book (which I haven't seen available anywhere else yet).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #227 on: May 02, 2011, 08:33:49 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y8WOSA/ref=dm_sp_alb

Looks like the second disc of the album is now available for MP3 download on Amazon! Just bought "Seeds Of Gold" for $0.99!!! It's downloading now...can't wait to listen to this 26 minute EPIC... review to follow sometime today...

EDIT - Actually, I bought the whole 2nd disc (I mean, it's only 3 songs, $2.97...can't beat that price for over 36 minutes of music) just so I can listen to the complete album, albeit in MP3 form, by week's end when the RadiantRecords download becomes available on Thursday!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:08:44 AM by The Letter M »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2011, 09:14:56 AM »
I also just bought the second disc for $2.97 from amazon.  The first two songs sounded pretty cool, but I am pretty bored halfway through this long epic.  I am already looking at the time, wondering when it is gonna be finished.  Not a good sign.  Too many keyboards, not enough guitar, and none of the vocal melodies are grabbing me.  But we'll see...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: May 02, 2011, 09:19:55 AM »
Just got it myself. Coolio. Why is it already on amazon? That has to be a mistake.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #230 on: May 02, 2011, 09:22:47 AM »
Naturally, as soon as I submit that last post, the songs gets a lot more guitar heavy in the second half. :lol :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #231 on: May 02, 2011, 09:23:13 AM »
I also just bought the second disc for $2.97 from amazon.  The first two songs sounded pretty cool, but I am pretty bored halfway through this long epic.  I am already looking at the time, wondering when it is gonna be finished.  Not a good sign.  Too many keyboards, not enough guitar, and none of the vocal melodies are grabbing me.  But we'll see...

Wait until you hear Steve Morse's guitar solo near the end!!!

-Marc.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #232 on: May 02, 2011, 09:28:42 AM »
Seeds of Gold is amazing so far. I have to leave so I will give it a full listen later, and I'll buy the other two later as well. Sounds really awesome.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: May 02, 2011, 09:31:53 AM »
I'm listening to Absolute Beginner now. I like it.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #234 on: May 02, 2011, 09:44:16 AM »
I am taking my wife to the NYC show. She has to be as big a Neal Morse fan as their is. She gets so emotional listening to his music, she often cry's. She is like a kid waiting for Christmas. We never rarely go to shows together because she has little interest in concerts. I usually go with my guy friends so, this night is going to be special. I'm sure she will weep during the show at least a couple times.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #235 on: May 02, 2011, 09:51:33 AM »
"Seeds Of Gold" - a typical Neal Morse epic with multiple parts/movements, and the lyrics aren't has terribly in-your-face as some of his recent albums! It sounds like something he could have done with SB or TA, lyrically speaking, AND musically speaking. I will agree with Kev that there are a lot of keyboards in the piece, but I like keyboards, especially when Neal plays them. If you want guitar in this song, you've got it near the end with Steve Morse's epic solo, followed by the big recapitulation of the opening themes, in only the way Neal does! :tup
Mike and Randy do a great job backing up Neal, but I haven't had much of a CLOSE listen to really hear their parts, but it sounds like they're really locked in to Neal's music, as usual, and provide a great rhythm section for Neal's palette of sounds.

"Absolute Beginner" - Nice opening, and it reminds of me so many of Neal's single-sounding rock songs (like "King Jesus" from One), and this time it's complete with a fade-out! lol It's very listen-able and fun and positive and uplifting, and I love that Neal can write great music in this vein! So energetic and rocking, you can't help but smile and nod along to this song all the way to the end!

"Supernatural" - The opening guitar reminds me of some of his Pre-Testimony solo songs, which is a good thing. He had some great songs on his first two solo albums! This is another good song and the synth-motif that comes back is very hum-able and catchy! Neal knows how to get a melody stuck in your head!

Upon first impression, this whole disc, even though it's 3 tracks, I might have to rank above the entirety of Lifeline and it's 7 tracks. Something about that album never really stuck with me, but these 3 tracks sound very fresh and powerful to me whereas most of Lifeline sounded very rehashed to me at the time of its release.

-Marc.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #236 on: May 02, 2011, 09:52:25 AM »
for some reason "seeds of gold" is showing purchased, but not downloading to HD.  any ideas why?

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #237 on: May 02, 2011, 10:04:26 AM »
Man, that's annoying!  I'm too Dutch to buy the 3 songs, even though it's only 2.97.  I've already dished out a lot of money for this.  I can only guess that it's a mistake to be on their when the release date is weeks away, but who knows.  Guess I'll wait.  In a few days I'll have the disc one download from Radiant and that will tide me over until I get the whole package in the mail.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 04:40:26 PM by ronnibran »

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #238 on: May 02, 2011, 10:07:07 AM »
played around long enough and got all the songs....enjoying so far.  will have to continue to spin

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: May 02, 2011, 10:45:16 AM »

-Marc.

What???? Steve Morse plays in this album? Is that a fail from your post or is this really true?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #240 on: May 02, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »

-Marc.

What???? Steve Morse plays in this album? Is that a fail from your post or is this really true?

Straight from Neal Morse's front page on www.nealmorse.com:
Disc 2 consists of 3 great tracks. Two shorter songs and one 26:00 minute prog epic, "Seeds of Gold" which features a guitar solo by famed guitarist, Steve Morse.
Total Time: 36:51

Definitely not a fail on my part. Trust me, I've been looking forward to this album for MONTHS now, and I've pretty much read all I could about it, including reviews over the last couple weeks.

BTW, Spock's Beard is on the main album, on the song "Time Changer":
This album marks the audio reunion of Spock's Beard as it contains a "tribute" to Spock's where Neal and the guys sing an elaborate vocal section that is reminiscent of the early days of the band.

-Marc.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: May 02, 2011, 02:47:20 PM »
I also just bought the second disc for $2.97 from amazon.  The first two songs sounded pretty cool, but I am pretty bored halfway through this long epic.  I am already looking at the time, wondering when it is gonna be finished.  Not a good sign.  Too many keyboards, not enough guitar, and none of the vocal melodies are grabbing me.  But we'll see...

-Marc.

Straight from Neal Morse's front page on www.nealmorse.com:
Disc 2 consists of 3 great tracks. Two shorter songs and one 26:00 minute prog epic, "Seeds of Gold" which features a guitar solo by famed guitarist, Steve Morse.
Total Time: 36:51

Definitely not a fail on my part. Trust me, I've been looking forward to this album for MONTHS now, and I've pretty much read all I could about it, including reviews over the last couple weeks.

BTW, Spock's Beard is on the main album, on the song "Time Changer":
This album marks the audio reunion of Spock's Beard as it contains a "tribute" to Spock's where Neal and the guys sing an elaborate vocal section that is reminiscent of the early days of the band.

-Marc.

Oh my, that is such great news. I want this album right now!!!! :caffeine:

Sorry I doubted you Marc, I promise I won't make the same mistake next time.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: May 02, 2011, 05:30:21 PM »
You know, the new disc almost sounds like Neal's returning to secular music in my opinion. Sure, the spirituality is still there, but the lyrics remind me much more of something from like BAF than any of Neal's recent solo stuff.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #243 on: May 02, 2011, 07:38:35 PM »
You know, the new disc almost sounds like Neal's returning to secular music in my opinion. Sure, the spirituality is still there, but the lyrics remind me much more of something from like BAF than any of Neal's recent solo stuff.

I feel the SAME exact way. It's no less secular than his SB albums or his first two solo albums. I mean, come on, songs like "The Light", "The Doorway" and "The Good Don't Last" are clearly metaphors for religious ideas and beliefs, just not without blatant references like his post-SB solo albums. It seems like the lyrics on the 2nd Disc are more along those lines, and musically, they're pretty fresh to my ears. Sure, they have that signature Neal Morse touch to them, but it's Neal, what else can you expect? It just sounds like Neal with some new ideas while injecting his own sound into them!

However, to balance it out, I fully expect the main album to be riddled with "Jesus" and "God" amongst the lyrics, but I'm okay with that - it's HIS story, and HIS life, and he wants to tell it... and I am willing to listen.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #244 on: May 02, 2011, 07:55:46 PM »

Oh my, that is such great news. I want this album right now!!!! :caffeine:

Sorry I doubted you Marc, I promise I won't make the same mistake next time.

Oh it's all good, Nekov! No worries. I was actually quite surprised at BOTH of those cameos, but less so about Steve Morse considering their collaboration on the MMPLM album (Neal Morse, Steve Morse, Mike Portnoy, Dave LaRue, and Casey McPherson)... but what DOES surprise me is that Steve's contribution is not on the main album but rather the 26 minute epic on the 2nd disc!

Cannot wait to get the MP3 from Radiant in 3 days! I'm going to wake up early to download it and hopefully listen to it before I have to go to work at noon on Thursday!

-Marc.