Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539603 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2415 on: September 05, 2017, 04:28:35 PM »
The way I see it, stick with what is working best right now, which is the Neal Morse Band, instead of trying to shoehorn in a Transatlantic record because "hey, we haven't done one in a while."

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2416 on: September 07, 2017, 10:59:54 AM »
Now a TA reunion for Morse Fest next year (if the new NMB album isn't done) would be interesting?? Maybe play the first two albums??
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2417 on: September 07, 2017, 11:17:50 AM »
Now a TA reunion for Morse Fest next year (if the new NMB album isn't done) would be interesting?? Maybe play the first two albums??

I have thought of that, especially since the first album is represented in the Morsefest logo. That would be a good way to get the band together and a good excuse to do a new album right after, since they'll be in synch after a week of rehearsals and concerts. Again, tho, that depends on the availability of Mike.

Going back to my Spock's Beard Morsefest idea, maybe they could play V one night and then do tunes backwards chronologically for the 2nd half of that night...
Set 1 - V
Set 2 - Day For Night, Crack The Big Sky, Harm's Way, June, Waste Away, The Doorway
Encore - The Light

As for the other night?... *shrug* Maybe a covers night with SB?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2418 on: September 07, 2017, 05:22:38 PM »
My worry is that NMB will be somewhat put on the backburner by Portnoy because he will be so busy with his new prog metal band.  I know he said he never has a problem juggling his many projects, but when you consider that the NMB seems to be THE main thing for the other four guys, that could be a bit irksome having to sit around and wait for the drummer to find time to fit in a week here or a week there to write, tour, etc, especially if the rest are wanting it to be a full time thing (like it was supposed to be).  To me, that is the biggest obstacle as far as getting a Morsefest 2018.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2419 on: September 08, 2017, 01:10:16 PM »
My worry is that NMB will be somewhat put on the backburner by Portnoy because he will be so busy with his new prog metal band.  I know he said he never has a problem juggling his many projects, but when you consider that the NMB seems to be THE main thing for the other four guys, that could be a bit irksome having to sit around and wait for the drummer to find time to fit in a week here or a week there to write, tour, etc, especially if the rest are wanting it to be a full time thing (like it was supposed to be).  To me, that is the biggest obstacle as far as getting a Morsefest 2018.

I'm not so sure the SOA gig is going to be an issue. Call me crazy but I can see SOA going the way of AMOB.....sounds good and all....decent line up but outside of a manufactured buzz from some insulting tweets there isn't much to talk about yet. And my only basis for this is the initial release. If you're trying to drum up interest and hype for a new venture why wouldn't you release a song that utterly impresses the niche group of fans you're trying to impress?? IMO the release they gave us is pretty blah and forgettable with near zero creativity in writing/singing/lyrics and does nothing to sway my opinion that SOA will quickly fade away after their initial release and tour.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2420 on: September 08, 2017, 05:01:12 PM »

I'm not so sure the SOA gig is going to be an issue. Call me crazy but I can see SOA going the way of AMOB.....sounds good and all....decent line up but outside of a manufactured buzz from some insulting tweets there isn't much to talk about yet. And my only basis for this is the initial release. If you're trying to drum up interest and hype for a new venture why wouldn't you release a song that utterly impresses the niche group of fans you're trying to impress?? IMO the release they gave us is pretty blah and forgettable with near zero creativity in writing/singing/lyrics and does nothing to sway my opinion that SOA will quickly fade away after their initial release and tour.

That might all be, but SOA is still likely going to dominate Portnoy's time in 2018.  Even if it fades away quickly and becomes another Portnoy that he thew against the wall and didn't stick, from a short term perspective, it could still be a hindrance to NMB's ability to be the full time band the rest of the band seemingly want it to be.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2421 on: September 09, 2017, 03:48:03 AM »
Wasn't there a story that we should get a new Flying Colors this year?

If not, I'd be up for another Neal solo album in the vein of Songs for November. No Portnoy, no prog, just tunes.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2422 on: September 09, 2017, 04:19:15 AM »

If not, I'd be up for another Neal solo album in the vein of Songs for November. No Portnoy, no prog, just tunes.

Wasn't the plan to finish it up towards the end of the year?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2423 on: September 09, 2017, 08:49:02 AM »

Neal tweeted a pic of him and Steve Morse last night that said "Hanging out with one of my favorite guitar players in St. Louis"    So, they were both together in St. Louis last night....maybe writing or maybe catching up? Who knows? I checked all the venue websites around here to see if Steve was playing somewhere but he wasn't.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2424 on: September 09, 2017, 11:36:19 AM »
My guess is that they're finishing the writing on FC3, so they can start the recording later in the year, with a possible early 2018 release.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2425 on: September 09, 2017, 11:39:38 AM »

Last I read, from Neal's IC Newsletters, they had worked on stuff last December, and he said that they would need to get together again to work on some more things later this year in the hopes of a 2017 release. Unless they're tweaking final arrangements now, I doubt we'll see a 2017 release at this point - I'd say a February or March 2018 release. Neal might have his singer/songwriter album out before then, to be honest, which he said he might do a small tour on with an acoustic band or something small.

Either way, it seems like Neal will keep himself busy for the time being, and Eric has some projects underway as well I believe, leaving Randy and Bill with some time to kill. Hopefully the momentum (har har) of the NMB won't be killed by everyone being busy and apart for awhile. Perhaps the time apart will let them come back with some fresh ideas for their next album?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2426 on: September 09, 2017, 01:29:40 PM »
I am going from memory here (since I heard it second hand), but I think Randy and Bill said at the meet and greet last week that they both have some rough demos for the next album, which they described as being different from TSOAD. 

I'd definitely be down for another singer-songwriter type album, in the vein of It's Not Too Late or Songs from November, from Neal himself in the meantime.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2427 on: September 09, 2017, 02:50:48 PM »
I am going from memory here (since I heard it second hand), but I think Randy and Bill said at the meet and greet last week that they both have some rough demos for the next album, which they described as being different from TSOAD. 

I'd definitely be down for another singer-songwriter type album, in the vein of It's Not Too Late or Songs from November, from Neal himself in the meantime.

Cool to see that Randy and Bill are working on some stuff for the next NMB album. I've loved what Bill has brought to the band so far, and I'm sure Randy has some tasty parts to share as well. It'd be interesting to see if Eric's time with Shattered Fortress/Haken will influence his writing and/or playing for the upcoming album, too. Seems like everyone will keep busy enough until it's time to reconvene for the next album, which I cannot imagine will be TOO far from now.

I wonder if Mike would be able to fit in a small Flying Colors tour next year after FC3 drops, just to give it some promotion on the road. It'd be a shame if it was released and there was no immediate tour in the same year, but I can't see Mike being CONSTANTLY busy with SOA. Maybe a small tour in the summer with Flying Colors, and then maybe doing a Flying Colors Morsefest, if having Spock's Beard or Transatlantic is out of the question?

And out of curiosity...what ever happened to the drummer who auditioned for Neal as the replacement for Mike whenever Mike couldn't commit to gigs? I think his name was Jason Giannis? I wonder what he's been up to, having lost the Neal Morse gig because Mike was able to commit fully to the not-yet-named NMB.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:38:23 AM by The Letter M »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2428 on: September 10, 2017, 06:21:25 AM »
The way I see it, Neal ain't no spring chicken anymore (he's 57 and, with all due respect, he looks 57, although he still has the energy of a 25-year old), and I'd rather to see him make as much great music as possible before he hits that "I am too old to do this regularly" phase.  Call me greedy, since he has already given us a crap ton of music in the last 23 years, but there is always room for more. :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Neal Morse - new album and tour in 2018!!
« Reply #2429 on: November 17, 2017, 04:44:14 PM »
NEAL MORSE
REVEALS HIS ‘LIFE & TIMES’
ON NEW SOLO ALBUM
DUE OUT FEBRUARY 16 ON RADIANT RECORDS
November 17, 2017 -- “I didn’t get into music because I wanted to be a big success…I originally went after music because I simply loved it. There wasn’t anything else for me. Nothing moved me like music did, and my hope had always been to move people as I had been moved.” — NEAL MORSE
Truer words never spoken by MORSE, who will prove his own personal theory right with his latest solo album, LIFE & TIMES, which will be released February 16 on Radiant Records via Metal Blade Records/SONY on all digital outlets, as well as CD and vinyl. Pre-orders will be available on Radiant Records’ website starting December 12.
Widely regarded as one of the world’s leading progressive rock (“prog”) musicians, there is now no doubt that NEAL MORSE is a “big success,” but his desire to move people through his music burns brighter than ever. Now in his mid-fifties and his children grown up, there is a sense on LIFE & TIMES that MORSE is looking around and taking stock.
“I’ve come through a lot of difficult times and I’m in a fairly content place now,” he says. “You can feel that on some of the songs.” Much of this ‘acoustic-orientated, singer/songwriter’ album was written while he was travelling around the world on “The Road Called Home” tour in 2017, with some of the songs being inspired by the places he visited, while others are from spending time with his family.
For example, “Manchester By the Sea” is a musical portrait of that notorious rarity—a sunny day in Manchester, England—when MORSE was sitting in a coffee shop watching the world go by. “Selfie in The Square” captures what he saw walking around Luxembourg City, hearing the cathedral bells and children playing, but realizing what a difference it makes to share these experiences. “Luxembourg was really nice, but I knew that if my wife was there, it would feel like a holiday, so I wrote a song about it to send to her,” he explains.
Some of these slice-of-life portraits also resonate with other people’s heartaches, such as “JoAnna,” which focuses on MORSE’s son dealing with the loss of a relationship and— most poignantly—“He Died At Home,” about a mother’s grief over the loss of her soldier son. As MORSE says, “I had been praying for a roommate of a friend of mine, who was a troubled ex-military guy. The day we were playing in Paris, I woke up to a text saying that sadly, he had died. As I began formulating ideas for a song about him, I remembered that many years ago, I had been at a meeting at a military base in Tennessee. They asked us to pray for their men because almost every week they were going to the funeral of those who had ‘died at home.’”
The power of the song that MORSE eventually crafted has moved people in ways that he could never have imagined: “Because of the idea for the song, I was researching soldier suicides online and found an article about a young soldier named William Busbee. He came back from Afghanistan in 2012, and then committed suicide. The video director contacted Libby Busbee, his mother, who listened to the song and was so moved that she is contributing photos of William to put in a video we’ll be sharing very soon.” The song also had quite an impact when it was premiered at Morsefest 2017, where it was very much the talk of the festival.
Born in 1960 to a musical Californian family, MORSE played in many bands during his youth. He learned and mastered several instruments along the way. In 1995, he wrote and recorded THE LIGHT with his new band, Spock’s Beard. It was an album grounded strongly in the then-unfashionable progressive rock genre. The album and title song became modern prog classics, and began to bring MORSE and the band global recognition. In 2000, he also joined forces with Mike Portnoy (ex-Dream Theater), Pete Trewavas (Marillion) and Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings) to form Transatlantic, a prog supergroup that went on to win the PROG Magazine Award for “Album of the Year.”
NEAL MORSE’s solo work has focused almost entirely on music with a strong message of redemption, beginning with 2003’s TESTIMONY—a two-disc musical account of his spiritual journey--and most recently with The Neal Morse Band’s PROG Magazine Award nominee, THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM, based on John Bunyan’s classic allegory, The Pilgrim’s Progress.
In touring news, MORSE is hoping to move more people with these songs at some “absolutely solo” shows in cafes and small venues throughout the U.S. and Europe in 2018. Check out NEAL MORSE at the following tour stops (with more dates to be added in the coming weeks on his official website):
DATE​​CITY​​​VENUE
Tue 2/20​Boston, MA​​Club Passim
Thu 2/22​Sellersville, PA​​Sellersville Theater
Fri 2/23​​New York, NY ​​The Cutting Room
Sat 3/17​Denver, CO ​​The Soiled Dove
Thu 3/22​Decatur, GA ​​Eddie’s Attic
Fri 3/23​​Charlotte, NC ​​The Evening Muse
Wed 3/28​Mesa, AZ​​Make Weird Music HQ
Fri 3/30​​Whittier, CA ​​Whittier Theater
Tue 4/3​​San Francisco, CA ​Hotel Utah
Thu 4/5​​Portland, OR ​​The Old Church Concert Hall
Fri 4/6​​Seattle, WA ​​The Triple Door
Thu 4/12​Evanston, IL ​​Space
Fri 4/13​​St. Louis, MO ​​Blueberry Hill Duck Room
Sat 4/14​Milwaukee, WI ​​Shank Hall
Wed 4/18​Quebec City, QUE.​TBA
Thu 4/19​Montreal, QUE.​​TBA
Sat 4/21​Toronto, ONT.​​The Great Hall

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2430 on: November 17, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
Kev.....there’s a St. Louis date!! 

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2431 on: November 18, 2017, 12:46:01 AM »
awesome. "He Died at Home" was an unbelievably powerful song played at the Inner Circle concert at this year's Morsefest. I cannot wait to hear that one again.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2432 on: November 18, 2017, 07:33:24 AM »
Kev.....there’s a St. Louis date!!

Oh, I know. :tup :tup

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2433 on: November 18, 2017, 07:40:48 AM »
Call me greedy, since he has already given us a crap ton of music in the last 23 years, but there is always room for more. :biggrin:

Seems like Neal read your post and started immediately to record his new album :D
I will surely check this album out!!! I always love what Neal does.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2434 on: November 18, 2017, 08:05:59 AM »
You and me both. I suspect some of the songs from his other non-prog solo albums (self-titled, It's Not Too Late, Songs from November) will right up his alley for this kinda tour.  I hope like crazy that he plays Emma, and I'd also love to hear The Wind + the Rain (he could easily play this alone at the piano), Landslide, Everything Is Wrong, Daddy's Daughter and My Time of Dying.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2435 on: November 18, 2017, 02:13:03 PM »
I'm looking forward to the album. Neal has a knack for great melodies, maybe he'll strike some gold with this one.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2436 on: November 22, 2017, 08:29:48 PM »
Got my tickets for the Boston date today! Bringing the wife with me! She came to Morsefest this year eith me and her favorite part was the Inner Circle show, so hopefully she'll have a good time😆 Very excited!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2437 on: November 23, 2017, 07:47:40 AM »
Got my tickets for the Boston date today! Bringing the wife with me! She came to Morsefest this year eith me and her favorite part was the Inner Circle show, so hopefully she'll have a good time😆 Very excited!

:tup :tup

Got our tickets for the St. Louis show the other day, too. :coolio

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #2438 on: November 23, 2017, 10:07:16 AM »
Got tix for NYC, looking forward to seeing Neal in an intimate setting! I like his singer-songwriter stuff, just hope there's no worship stuff at the show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2439 on: December 19, 2017, 06:40:57 PM »
Very moving song from the forthcoming album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88e74WaQioI&feature=youtu.be

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2440 on: December 19, 2017, 09:27:05 PM »
Brutal.
WELP.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2441 on: December 20, 2017, 01:32:50 AM »
Wow.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2442 on: December 20, 2017, 05:48:34 AM »
That was powerful and very sad.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2443 on: December 20, 2017, 06:39:41 AM »
Wow. Beautiful song about an ugly topic that needs more attention.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2444 on: January 04, 2018, 02:49:52 PM »
Mike Portnoy on Facebook:

Well...(weather permitting), I'm flying to Nashville tonight to begin work on a new album with these guys...
Our last creation was one of my personal favs of all time...can't wait to see what we can cook up next! #NealMorseBand
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2445 on: January 04, 2018, 03:53:06 PM »
Mike Portnoy on Facebook:

Well...(weather permitting), I'm flying to Nashville tonight to begin work on a new album with these guys...
Our last creation was one of my personal favs of all time...can't wait to see what we can cook up next! #NealMorseBand

I saw this too. Good news! I’d slightly prefer new Transatlantic, but I’ll take what I can get! I still prefer older Neal albums over the last two (I still like Momentum more than either of the NMB albums)

Offline DT2003

« Reply #2446 on: January 04, 2018, 05:08:15 PM »
Very good news. I didn’t think this was in Mike’s plans for this year, but nothing excites me more than new music from Neal and Mike, specifically Neal Morse Band. TSoaD is one of my favorite albums of all time and I can’t wait to hear what they follow that up with.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2447 on: January 04, 2018, 07:01:16 PM »
I saw the posts about this by Randy and Eric on FB.  Best news I've heard all year. :P

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2448 on: January 04, 2018, 07:10:41 PM »
I believe Neal has some solo tour dates coming up soon and then Mike will be on the road with Sons of Apollo, so I wonder if they will crank out a whole album in the coming weeks or take a break and then revisit things later in the year.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2449 on: January 04, 2018, 07:37:53 PM »
I'm sure Neal is coming into the studio armed with about 395 ideas already :lol, and I wouldn't be surprised if Eric, Bill and Randy come in with some ideas they've had for a while as well.