Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539691 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1015 on: September 12, 2012, 02:47:29 PM »
The epic is still growing on me, it's very long. But I enjoy the title track and Thoughts part 5 very much. The rest is OK. I have to listen more, but i don't think it'll top Testimony 2, Sola Scriptura, ?, and One.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1016 on: September 12, 2012, 04:10:32 PM »
The epic is still growing on me, it's very long. But I enjoy the title track and Thoughts part 5 very much. The rest is OK. I have to listen more, but i don't think it'll top Testimony 2, Sola Scriptura, ?, and One.

I'm with you - the first two tracks are pretty good, top-notch Neal Morse. I've also come to enjoy "Smoke And Mirrors", even though his pronunciation of "Mirrors" in the song is more like "Mears" (especially as he rhymes it with "years" and "tears" and other such sounding words). The epic IS really long, and I'm not sure if that helps or hinders it. When "Seeds Of Gold" came out, I was hooked IMMEDIATELY and it kept my attention all the way through, and this was probably Neal's first side-length epic without movements (I think, I *could* be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure...) and so it stuck with me as a full single song all the way through.

I'm sure I'll grow to LOVE "World Without End" and after a few listens, there are some great moments and melodies that are memorable, but it still doesn't hook me like "Seeds Of Gold" did, which, to be honest, is so very unlike any other epic Neal has written before and since!

As for the other 2 tracks, they're alright. "Freak" is Neal's quirky piece, as he always seems to write one, and it's really varied throughout and has an endearing quality about it, while "Weathering Sky" is a pretty standard Neal rocker.

As a whole, the album is pretty good, a few steps up from Lifeline, but parts of it feel like a step back from Testimony 2, which felt like Neal was firing on ALL cylinders, as well as Mike and Randy. I don't know...maybe T2 just came out at the right time - after an album and tour with Transatlantic, and he was writing a lot of stuff at the time. For this album, Neal admits he didn't have a lot of material ready, so maybe it kind of shows? I think he didn't let his demos sit for long enough, and they were pulled out too soon from the prog-oven.

I suppose only time will tell how this one sits among Neal's other solo works, but as I've read elsewhere from fans, Neal does concept albums better, and while an album like this is not as full of "God"-this and "Jesus"-that, much of his work on his first 3 solo albums was KILLER compared to what we've gotten with Lifeline  and Momentum.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1017 on: September 12, 2012, 04:21:22 PM »
He's saving up all of his good stuff for the next Transatlantic record. :metal :hat

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1018 on: September 12, 2012, 04:28:27 PM »
He's saving up all of his good stuff for the next Transatlantic record. :metal :hat

GOD I hope so... :angel: :metal

I cannot wait until Winter, DT will go into the studio and TA may possibly announce something possibly leading towards the possibility of going into the studio... MP and PT just need to clear up their schedules and Roine and Neal are pretty much ready to go!

Anyway, TA5 is going to be a big deal next year, and might contend for AOTY for 2013 for me, especially going up against Spock's Beard and Dream Theater (among other bands).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1019 on: September 12, 2012, 06:43:06 PM »
I enjoy the title track, though it is a bit hokie. Thoughts pt5 and Smoke and Mirrors I loved, as well as the epic.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1020 on: September 12, 2012, 09:33:12 PM »
I pre-ordered it from Radiant Records and it arrived yesterday. It wasn't signed though :(

What he said!  I haven't even opened mine yet.

Perhaps I'll watch the DVD this weekend.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1021 on: September 13, 2012, 01:21:47 PM »
Only-listened-to-Momentum-a-few-times ranking time.

Sola Scriptura
?
Testimony 2
One
Momentum
Testimony
Lifeline

It's still a good album, it just hasn't gotten me as excited as when Testimony 2 came out, that one blew me away on first listen, and still does. Momentum is still growing on me, especially the epic World Without End, which I'm still wrapping my head around. I could see the album move up the ranks at least one notch for me.

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1022 on: September 13, 2012, 01:32:52 PM »
Only-listened-to-Momentum-a-few-times ranking time.

Sola Scriptura
?
Testimony 2
One
Momentum
Testimony
Lifeline

It's still a good album, it just hasn't gotten me as excited as when Testimony 2 came out, that one blew me away on first listen, and still does. Momentum is still growing on me, especially the epic World Without End, which I'm still wrapping my head around. I could see the album move up the ranks at least one notch for me.

This is pretty much how I feel about this release. I listened to it only once (I plan on giving the CD another spin tonight), and as far as the first impression goes, I am unimpressed. I still have to get the grand picture behind the epic, but I don't see it besting Seeds Of Gold or The Door.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1023 on: September 13, 2012, 04:07:44 PM »
It's hard for me to rank Neal's albums.  "One" and "Sola" were both my ultimate favorite albums for extended periods of time.  But I listened to them SO much back in the day that rarely listen to them anymore.

Regarding the new album - it doesn't have the intense staying power that T2 had.  I think that's because it's not a concept album.  The concept albums just seem to get better and better with each listen until you have the album memorized.  The "newness" wore off quite quickly.  However, I don't mean that as negative.  Neal says in his liner notes he was not trying a new direction with this album (duh), so I didn't expect anything groundbreaking.  I would rank it somewhere in the middle of Neals albums. 

I love the new epic.  Not sure if Neal had the idea for the song and was saving the idea for Transatlantic or not (he was hoping they'd have recorded by now), but I'm glad it was done on a solo disc.  So yeah, I'm probably backwards from most people here, as I listen to the epic over and over and love it, and find myself not listening to the short songs much.  And I love "Freak."  Definately my favorite of hte short songs.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1024 on: September 13, 2012, 05:25:15 PM »
ugh its the 13th and it still hasnt come in :|

Also whats with all the hate for Lifeline around here? I thought it was a solid album. probably my top 3.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1025 on: September 14, 2012, 05:41:42 AM »
Lifeline isn't very appealing for me either, in fact, I think this new album, Momentum will join it at the very bottom of my Neal Morse album list. 

I never thought I'd say this, but maybe he should go back to serving up the more Jesus-y stuff, because it seems this album has significantly dialed back the religion and the result is not that good, I'm afraid.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1026 on: September 14, 2012, 06:23:19 AM »
ugh its the 13th and it still hasnt come in :|

Also whats with all the hate for Lifeline around here? I thought it was a solid album. probably my top 3.

Well, I'd feel bad for you, but every time a new Neal Morse record comes out there is someone in this thread complaining about how Radiant either delivered too slowly or else screwed them over another way.

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #1027 on: September 16, 2012, 10:30:29 AM »
I would call Neal Morse a god, but he would probably not like that :)

All I can say is that Neal is to melodies/themes what John Petrucci is to guitar riffs. Once again he leaves me without any doubt whatsoever that he is my all time favorite musician. Amazing stuff.
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1028 on: September 16, 2012, 11:31:21 AM »
still hasnt come in :|

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1029 on: September 16, 2012, 11:34:03 AM »
still hasnt come in :|

Neither has mine, but I can wait. Between Momentum and Marillion's Sounds That Can't Be Made, I've been checking my mail box obsessively over the last week, but no new packages. Hopefully something comes in tomorrow!

New album pre-order deliveries always have me nervous and anxious!  :eek

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1030 on: September 17, 2012, 01:45:21 PM »
Opened my mailbox this afternoon to find two packages from Radiant Records!!!

:metal

-Marc.

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1031 on: September 17, 2012, 01:59:59 PM »
Opened my mailbox this afternoon to find two packages from Radiant Records!!!

-Marc.

Inner Circle... I heard about this... So, it's not a legend, is it? :lol:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1032 on: September 17, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »
Inner Circle... I heard about this... So, it's not a legend, is it? :lol:

It's not as secretive or exclusive as you might think  :lol

It's pretty sweet, actually, and I've been a member since last November, just in time to get Neal's A Proggy Christmas album, although now he's releasing it again with REAL drums and more songs (which I can't wait for! FOUR Neal-related studio releases this year! What a treat!).

The latest DVD is a concert with Neal's new band (sans MP), and the set list is pretty good! Can't wait to watch it!

-Marc.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1033 on: September 18, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »
Look what came in aswell!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1034 on: September 18, 2012, 03:13:13 PM »
Look what came in aswell!

Awesome!!! Looks like we're two out of a hundred! o/

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1035 on: September 18, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »
*\o
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1036 on: September 18, 2012, 03:29:51 PM »
*\o

... :|

:rollin

Did you get one, too, Nick???

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1037 on: September 19, 2012, 08:42:44 AM »
Just got mine yesterday from a brick & mortar store.  I won't use Radiant's website because I've had so many issues with it in the past, and I don't really care about whether or not my copy is signed.  But I have it, which is cool!

Only one full listen so far.  A couple of early observations:
1.  I LOVE Neal's music, and this seems a bit ridiculous to say in the case of music that is so varied and complex, but I feel that Neal is somewhat formulaic and that it has really showed on this last few solo efforts.  They're still good, but there are a lot of times when it just feels like I am listening to a rehashed version of something that was done better before.
2.  The above being said, I can say that I immediately like this album more than Lifeline and ?, and possibly better than T2.  It probably doesn't quite measure up to T1, and is not even in the same league as One and Sola Scriptura.  But still feels like a very solid album.
3.  Freak is amazing in its simplicity. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1038 on: September 19, 2012, 01:21:48 PM »
*\o

... :|

:rollin

Did you get one, too, Nick???

-Marc.

Nope, just one of my many interceptions around these parts.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: September 19, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »
Just got mine yesterday from a brick & mortar store.  I won't use Radiant's website because I've had so many issues with it in the past, and I don't really care about whether or not my copy is signed.  But I have it, which is cool!

Only one full listen so far.  A couple of early observations:
1.  I LOVE Neal's music, and this seems a bit ridiculous to say in the case of music that is so varied and complex, but I feel that Neal is somewhat formulaic and that it has really showed on this last few solo efforts.  They're still good, but there are a lot of times when it just feels like I am listening to a rehashed version of something that was done better before.
2.  The above being said, I can say that I immediately like this album more than Lifeline and ?, and possibly better than T2.  It probably doesn't quite measure up to T1, and is not even in the same league as One and Sola Scriptura.  But still feels like a very solid album.
3.  Freak is amazing in its simplicity.

I know exactly what you mean about the sort of "been there done that" feel with Neal's music.  My personal opinion is part of the reason for that is he's putting out way too much stuff.

I can understand not liking "Lifeline" too much but I think "?" is the best solo album he's made and I even like the lyrics on that one quite a bit.   :eek

T1 was like an ecclesiastical bludgeoning upon my first listen, but when I went back to it after the reality of Neal's career choice kind of sunk in, I found that I really was able to enjoy that album quite a bit.  Still one of my favorites of his.

I've always been kind of "meh" on both "One" and "Sola Scriptura"

What I did today was I took the best tracks from "Lifeline" and this new one and combined them into a playlist:

01 - Lifeline
02 - Thoughts Part 5
03 - So Many Roads
04 - Leviathan
05 - World Without End

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: September 19, 2012, 02:57:18 PM »
I've heard that music is Neal's sole source of income, as is not the case with many of his peers.  I understand that it can be tough being a prog musician in a bad economy, and in an industry which is already heavily suffering. And I can see why he feels like he needs to put out as much material as possible.

But all of this average material is really starting to water down the "Neal Morse" brand. Momentum is pretty typical Neal retracing his old formulas, as have been the last few Neal solo albums. It's just hard to stay interested, when everyone few months Neal's got either another Neal-by-numbers solo record out, or another overpriced low-budget DVD, or a cover disc, or (like is to come) a retinkering of the same old Christmas album he released before. He's starting to put out so much mediocrity that it's hard to stay excited even when he does something genuinely cool.  And he charges fans for lots of things other bands give you as a bonus, like a disc of cover sessions and "Making Of..." DVDs.

I like Neal, and I hate to criticize him so much. But he's really lucky he's still got Transatlantic and Flying Colors, because being a Neal Morse fan is just way too demanding, and not very exciting.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1041 on: September 19, 2012, 03:11:43 PM »
I've heard that music is Neal's sole source of income, as is not the case with many of his peers.  I understand that it can be tough being a prog musician in a bad economy, and in an industry which is already heavily suffering. And I can see why he feels like he needs to put out as much material as possible.

But all of this average material is really starting to water down the "Neal Morse" brand. Momentum is pretty typical Neal retracing his old formulas, as have been the last few Neal solo albums. It's just hard to stay interested, when everyone few months Neal's got either another Neal-by-numbers solo record out, or another overpriced low-budget DVD, or a cover disc, or (like is to come) a retinkering of the same old Christmas album he released before. He's starting to put out so much mediocrity that it's hard to stay excited even when he does something genuinely cool.  And he charges fans for lots of things other bands give you as a bonus, like a disc of cover sessions and "Making Of..." DVDs.

I like Neal, and I hate to criticize him so much. But he's really lucky he's still got Transatlantic and Flying Colors, because being a Neal Morse fan is just way too demanding, and not very exciting.

For me personally, I feel like you are going a bit too far.  But I get the general sentiment and don't disagree too much.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1042 on: September 19, 2012, 03:19:24 PM »
Say what you will about what you (as in anyone, not pointed at Bosk or PC) will about the quality of Neal's releases, I think it's pretty easy to ascertain that he's making his living off music with how he markets his stuff and the amount of material he puts out and the way he puts it out. On one hand I find it to be good that he gets a lot of stuff out there, but on the other hand I think he can over saturate the market, and at times definitely overprices things he knows only hardcore fans will likely buy such as the recent FC making of DVD and the 2nd Transatlantic CD/DVD box set.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: September 19, 2012, 03:33:10 PM »
Wow, I hadn't realized the prices for that DVD had already come out.

And, geez. Twenty bucks? That is double what I thought they'd charge for it.

See, this is exactly what I mean.  :\

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1044 on: September 19, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »
I should also say, though, that if you read Neal's message in the liner notes about the "momentum" concept, it all fits with what we are talking about.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: September 19, 2012, 04:02:03 PM »
Too bad he didn't include a PDF of the liner notes and artwork with the download. (like my band did) He charged more than most bands charge for digital copies of his album, but all you get are the audio files.  That's part of the reason why a lot of his fans are getting a little bit worn out.

To be honest, I'm removing Neal Morse from my "automatic buy" list based on the relative mediocrity of "Momentum" which, at least in part, includes the lack of "stuff" that comes with a digital download - a product that costs almost as much as some physical CDs.

Look, if anyone gets it, I do.  I really, really get it.  I know how tough it is to make ANY money in the music business.  But gouging isn't the answer, and that's what Neal's pricing models feel like.   Neal's pushing the envelope just a little bit too much, even for me.  And I'm someone who definitely sympathizes with the plight of relatively obscure musicians who are trying to sell their products, because I'm in the same situation, the only difference is I have a day job so I'm not dependent upon the income from the music.

Fuck, I'd be on welfare if I was  :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1046 on: September 19, 2012, 08:58:24 PM »
Likewise, while I would love to support Neal, I would be on welfare if I bought every album produced by an artist I appreciate. So with Neal, I just wind up missing lots. It is hard for him to compete with the younger and more energized newer bands that support themselves in other ways, and only make music when they have the time and inspiration to do it (and then practically give it away).

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1047 on: September 20, 2012, 04:38:35 AM »
The thing with Neal, though, is you can almost step in to any point in his release cycle, buy his latest thing and you'll pretty much hear all of the same stuff he's been doing since the last time you bought something from him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1048 on: September 20, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »
Likewise, while I would love to support Neal, I would be on welfare if I bought every album produced by an artist I appreciate. So with Neal, I just wind up missing lots. It is hard for him to compete with the younger and more energized newer bands that support themselves in other ways, and only make music when they have the time and inspiration to do it (and then practically give it away).

Like Devin Townsend, for example?  Seriously, the amount of music that guy gives us is insane, but it is usually pretty different from the last record (compare Deconstruction to Ghost to Epicloud), and he has no problem with fans trying his music out for free online before buying it; he has said that before.  In fact, just the other day, he tweeted this:

HA! Got a copyright infringement warning from YouTube for posting my own shit... AWESOME!!!! Suck it! =]

And then this last night:

Youtube is pulling lots of my own stuff for illegal content. So freaking weird. Get over yourself, money isn't everything.

:metal :metal

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:06:39 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: September 20, 2012, 10:02:21 AM »
Yeah, exactly. And Devin Townsend is someone who, like Neal, releases new music all the time.

There's a few key differences though:

1.) Devin Townsend doesn't charge mark up. You can "Epicloud", which also came out this week, for $8.99 as a download, $10.00 for the vanilla version, and $14.00 if you want the bonus disc. The most expensive version of "Epicloud" is still cheaper than the "Momentum" digital download.

2.) Devin's got the attitude which you just mentioned. He wants other people to hear his music, regardless of what they pay for it. His main goal is still to reach new ears and new audiences. With Neal Morse, it's the opposite. You get the idea that he gears everything toward what he thinks the die-hards will give him.

Neither approach is "wrong". People should feel free to charge what they want for their products.  But, as a fan of both, it's not hard for me to decide which I'm going with when I've got to make a choice.