Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539694 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #770 on: January 24, 2012, 09:10:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure Randy is a very faith oriented person, and so he is perhaps doing one of Neal's more overtly religious albums? I don't know if he has in the past, but I know Neal does albums marketed at Christians moreso than prog fans and it's quite possible that has something to do with it.

That would be interesting, but I doubt Neal would hype it in the way he did if it was something that didn't have more prog-appeal:

There are currently three (count them three!) albums that I am talking about producing this year. The first is something Mike and Randy have been talking about doing for awhile, which is a "Cover to Cover Part 2" album. It's one of our albums that Mike and I both listen to the most, so why not make another one! So, I'm thinking of releasing that in the Spring. Then I'm writing and working around the clock, well not exactly around the clock, but you know... early on the clock anyway.... I'm working on a new Prog Cd and it's going really well. I'm writing right now. Mike and Randy are coming January 30th at the end of the month to track the new cd and to track some covers for the cover album. And I'll just leave the last album a secret for right now cause it's just more fun that way. More news on the last album of the year to come at a later date. But I'm pretty excited and I thought you might want to know that Randy and Mike are scheduled and the Studio is booked from January 30th to February 5th. We're gonna get the great old team back together and see if we can come up with something that's even half as good as the "One" album! :)

Neal and Randy on a "secret album"...hmmmm, definitely has me ponderous.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #771 on: January 25, 2012, 08:21:52 AM »

-Marc.

:rollin

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #772 on: January 25, 2012, 09:53:16 AM »

-Marc.

Damn, you caught me, bosk!  :lol

I meant...uh..."pondering". Yeah, that's the ticket!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #773 on: January 25, 2012, 10:21:49 AM »
A bit off topic, maybe more backtracking. To those of you that have T2 live. I was the exec producer of this show. I would like to hear your opinions on the DVD/CD set. No comments on the venue/ stage production, there was nothing I could do about that. I am relatively new at editing and curious of what you thought worked and what did not.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #774 on: January 25, 2012, 04:02:34 PM »
Not to criticize, because I think you did a great job overall, Bob.  But since you asked, here are my few criticisms:  (1) Bounce from shot to shot is too fast.  I know that's a bit unfair because it is just the style nowadays and has been for some time.  But I like to focus on each musician for awhile, which is hard to do when the shots bounce to quickly.  (2)  Split screen.  You already know my thoughts on that.  And I know that when it is used, it somewhat helps with #1 because you can keep guys onscreen longer.  But still, me no likey.

Audio editing to me is a lot less obvious to pick out.  But everything is smooth with no choppiness, and the instrument, vocal, and crowd levels all sound great to me, so I'd say you did a great job in that department.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #775 on: January 25, 2012, 04:24:16 PM »
@Bosk
None taken. I fought to slow the cut down a bit.  I also fought about the splits, but as you said with so much happening at once it had to be done to avoid cutting even faster. I was able to get the number of splits reduced from the original number of them. The reality is as well, is this is what the client wanted. I have to balance keeping the client happy along with keeping the fans happy. I'm still trying different things for video looking cool without being cliche or distracting.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #776 on: January 26, 2012, 07:27:52 AM »
A bit off topic, maybe more backtracking. To those of you that have T2 live. I was the exec producer of this show. I would like to hear your opinions on the DVD/CD set. No comments on the venue/ stage production, there was nothing I could do about that. I am relatively new at editing and curious of what you thought worked and what did not.

Did you have any influence on the sound as well? Because the way that DVD sounds totally floored me! Great sound, so direct, but as big as it needs to be.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #777 on: January 26, 2012, 07:56:45 AM »

-Marc.

Outstanding humorous value!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #778 on: January 26, 2012, 10:17:25 AM »

Did you have any influence on the sound as well? Because the way that DVD sounds totally floored me! Great sound, so direct, but as big as it needs to be.

I did do the final audio mastering. Thank you. I wanted to do more, but was up against the delivery deadline.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #779 on: January 26, 2012, 11:27:25 AM »
@Bosk
None taken. I fought to slow the cut down a bit.  I also fought about the splits, but as you said with so much happening at once it had to be done to avoid cutting even faster. I was able to get the number of splits reduced from the original number of them. The reality is as well, is this is what the client wanted. I have to balance keeping the client happy along with keeping the fans happy. I'm still trying different things for video looking cool without being cliche or distracting.
Regarding the splits, I think they are very nice when they allow you to see what's happening in different places of the stage. However, in the case of the T2 DVD, many of the shots looked redundant: you could see Neal in one, and Neal was in the other too, just from a different angle, and you couldn't see any other musician. Otherwise, great job.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #780 on: January 26, 2012, 12:03:56 PM »
I am still waiting for the live T2 DVD to be offered for sale by itself as opposed to being forced to buy CDs that I have no interest in with it. :)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #781 on: January 26, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »
Just found Neal Morse Whirlwind demo  in my mailbox today, from The Inner Circle.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #782 on: January 26, 2012, 04:12:08 PM »
Just found Neal Morse Whirlwind demo  in my mailbox today, from The Inner Circle.

WOOHOO! I've been anxiously awaiting the next Inner Circle physical release. I've been at work all day (since 9am) so I'm hoping when I get home in an hour or so that it's in my mail box!

I hope this is at least a bit different from the stuff on this -
https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/364-inner-circle-cd-from-the-cutting-room-floor-september-2009.aspx

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #783 on: January 27, 2012, 11:28:48 PM »
Mine showed up today.

It's in that growing pile that I need to get to listen to

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #784 on: January 28, 2012, 04:08:35 AM »
If you join the Inner Circle, do you get access to past IC recordings?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #785 on: January 28, 2012, 02:13:25 PM »

Indeed you now do! This started a month or two ago, Neal started making his past IC releases available through Radiant to current members. And there's a LOT of them. I'm pretty sure every IC CD and DVD is available on there, either as an original, or a new copy (I think on plain CD-r perhaps).

-Marc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #786 on: January 29, 2012, 06:03:33 AM »

Indeed you now do! This started a month or two ago, Neal started making his past IC releases available through Radiant to current members. And there's a LOT of them. I'm pretty sure every IC CD and DVD is available on there, either as an original, or a new copy (I think on plain CD-r perhaps).

-Marc.
Well, that is something worth thinking about.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #787 on: January 31, 2012, 03:52:45 PM »
Wait, so NM is already working on his next solo album???..... </head spin> I can't keep up. Jeez.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #788 on: January 31, 2012, 04:01:01 PM »
Wait, so NM is already working on his next solo album???..... </head spin> I can't keep up. Jeez.

As well as TWO other albums, at the same time, including a new covers album with Randy and Mike! The man is a MACHINE!!! He'll have at LEAST 3 studio albums this year, perhaps four!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #789 on: January 31, 2012, 11:37:29 PM »
I just hope Neal isn't doing too much too soon.  I gotta think that a big part of why T2 was so awesome was because it was his first solo album in three years, so aside for what he wrote for the TA album, he was probably overflowing with years of great ideas.  Doing this much this soon after T2 could result in uneven efforts.  I'd much rather see him focus on writing one album for the time being, instead of juggling so many at once, which could very well result in every project having both good and average stuff, instead of focusing on one album and using the best of it all for that one album.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #790 on: February 01, 2012, 10:26:36 AM »
I just hope Neal isn't doing too much too soon.  I gotta think that a big part of why T2 was so awesome was because it was his first solo album in three years, so aside for what he wrote for the TA album, he was probably overflowing with years of great ideas.  Doing this much this soon after T2 could result in uneven efforts.  I'd much rather see him focus on writing one album for the time being, instead of juggling so many at once, which could very well result in every project having both good and average stuff, instead of focusing on one album and using the best of it all for that one album.

You *could* have a point, especially with the news that Neal's next album will follow the V/Lifeline format with a huge epic and a few shorter songs, and that it will likely come out less than 2 years after T2. Looking back, Lifeline was released 20 months after Sola Scriptura (which was an AWESOME album), which is probably the longest time between his solo albums

Testimony 1 to One = 13 months
One to ? = 12 months
? to Sola Scriptura = 16 months
Sola Scriptura to Lifeline = 20 months
Lifeline to Testimony 2 = 28 months
Testimony 2 to Momentum (current title track of the album, according to Randy) = 13-14 months, perhaps?

I don't think having time in-between isn't the issue. Albums like One and ? are pure GOLD and they were written and released within a year after the previous album. Perhaps we are due for another album as epic as One!

Follow Randy's updates here - https://nealmorse.yuku.com/topic/4258/Studio-Diary-Jan-2012

It seems they are having a blast and are keeping up a great pace, with Mike having already tracked a few shorter songs and most of the "big epic" for the album! This sounds more exciting than Lifeline, so I am hopeful that it will be amazing, and I have faith (!) in Neal that he will put out only the best he has to offer.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #791 on: February 01, 2012, 10:34:03 AM »
Randy likes the Flintstones  :heart

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #792 on: February 01, 2012, 11:32:41 AM »
I just realized something startling about Neal's solo material.  I love his albums.  I mean, One, Sola Scriptura, and perhaps Testimony would probably be in my top 10 albums of all time.  But in terms of individual songs, there aren't a lot of Neal's solo songs that jump out at me as being truly outstanding standalone songs.  I guess it really goes to th idea of the sum being greater than the individual parts.  But I never consciously realized I felt that way until just now.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #793 on: February 01, 2012, 12:24:03 PM »
I just realized something startling about Neal's solo material.  I love his albums.  I mean, One, Sola Scriptura, and perhaps Testimony would probably be in my top 10 albums of all time.  But in terms of individual songs, there aren't a lot of Neal's solo songs that jump out at me as being truly outstanding standalone songs.  I guess it really goes to th idea of the sum being greater than the individual parts.  But I never consciously realized I felt that way until just now.

Considering nearly all of his albums have been conceptual, the pieces all seem to run together, with a few exceptions. The only standouts I can recall would be the epics, things like "The Creation" and "The Door" or perhaps things like the end of "Part 4" of Testimony. I do agree, though, that his albums tend to be written as albums rather than as singles, or with singles in mind. There are songs that COULD have been singles (in another world), like "King Jesus" and "Heaven In My Heart".

I think his albums are all stronger as wholes rather than pieces, which is why I always listen to them front-to-back. It's just a more satisfying listening experience.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #794 on: February 01, 2012, 02:03:10 PM »
Leaving Transatlantic out of the equation for a moment, I still say that Crossing Over/Mercy Street reprise is one of the three best songs Neal has ever written.  Yes, it's that good.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #795 on: February 01, 2012, 02:30:35 PM »

Your concern is understandable, but if you've watched the T2 DVD Making-Of, Neal explains how the material for T2 didn't materialize until sometime in 2010, after the Transatlantic tour, and then a friend of his recommended the theme of going back to Testimony and that's when he started putting the album together.

I don't think it matters how much time there is between albums, as long as the inspiration is there. It could be said that it was lacking during the Lifeline era. Ive said this before, but I think The Whirlwind re-invigorated Neal, and if he's so inspired that he's writing 3-4 albums a year now, I would trust that his own solo album will be of high quality. Look at how much music Roine Stolt and co. have written since 1994, and almost all of it is essential prog music (in my opinion at least....)

Considering nearly all of his albums have been conceptual, the pieces all seem to run together, with a few exceptions. The only standouts I can recall would be the epics, things like "The Creation" and "The Door" or perhaps things like the end of "Part 4" of Testimony. I do agree, though, that his albums tend to be written as albums rather than as singles, or with singles in mind. There are songs that COULD have been singles (in another world), like "King Jesus" and "Heaven In My Heart".

I think his albums are all stronger as wholes rather than pieces, which is why I always listen to them front-to-back. It's just a more satisfying listening experience.

-Marc.

This is why I liked Testimony 2 so much. You had the concept album of disc 1, where you can't really listen but straight through to get the full experience; as most of his solo albums are. But then you have Seeds of Gold on disc 2, so it's like a 2fer1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #796 on: February 01, 2012, 03:21:15 PM »
"Seeds Of Gold" was like the icing on the cake, and it was quite a big delicious cake too! The icing just became even more delightfully sinful (ironic?) because "Seeds Of Gold" is something I've hoped to hear from Neal since he left SB/TA (temporarily). It rivals his best epic works and sounds like something Transatlantic could have done, and the lyrics aren't too overly religious (or at least, as blatant as his other recent works), but they have a sort of SB/TA obliqueness to them, you can infer them to be of religious content, but by themselves, they can also mean anything. The lyrics to SOG are as good as anything Neal wrote when he was in Spock's Beard, and I hope this direction carries through to his next album, especially since he's writing "Thoughts Pt. 3"!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #797 on: February 06, 2012, 08:37:45 AM »
From Randy the other night:

For those that asked… the target release dates are possibly September for the Prog CD and May/June for the Covers CD. Neal wanted to release the covers CD first. Also there live dates being discussed for July for a one off with the Testimony band… and a full blown tour in the fall with a possible new line up. But it's all still in the discussion stage so keep you fingers crossed! I can guarantee your complete and utter excitement and satisfaction for all things Neal this year, at least if myself as a fan is any indication!

So, more Neal goodness 2-3 months after Flying Colors is released, and then again 4 months later.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #798 on: February 06, 2012, 08:49:29 AM »
So, I finally got the Testimony Two live DVD - special thanks to bobs23 for hooking me up!! :) - and I gotta say, it is quite enjoyable.  I still need to watch all of the first DVD, but the second one was great.  I loved seeing how great Crossing Over/Mercy Street Reprise was live, and The Truth Will Set You Free is even more of a beast live than in the studio. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy  Them nailing the Time Changer multi-part harmonies was great and got them a big applause from the crowd, which was well-deserved!

I thought the editing was good overall given what they had to work with; it looked very professional and a good job was done of showing every musician a lot, instead of always showing the same guys.  The split screen shots didn't really bother me at all, but I do think that the stage lighting was a bit iffy at times.  It was too dark in the background at times.  The one frequent shot of Neal from the right (at an angle), for one, was not centered enough.  Numerous times, it was like Neal was way to the right on the screen and then it was so dark behind him that the rest of the shot was mostly really dark (except for when that annoying green shirt stood out :facepalm:).  Not a great job by the cameraman when it came to centering Neal, but given the small venue, he/she might not have had a lot to work with, so it is what it is.  It was a bit of a bummer to see Neal playing to such a small crowd - couldn't have been more than a few hundred people there - but it didn't matter to Neal, who brought it and gave a great performance regardless.  :tup :tup

Gonna try to get to all of the first DVD today or tomorrow. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #799 on: February 06, 2012, 08:53:54 AM »
So, more Neal goodness 2-3 months after Flying Colors is released, and then again 4 months later.

Eh, sort of.  Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm not really looking forward to the covers CD.  Not a huge fan of those.  I love it when bands release a covers CD as bonus content with a CD of original music (like DT, Redemption, and sort of Transatlantic), but I don't listen to covers disks enough to feel like I'm getting a decent value when I have to shell out full CD price for a covers disk.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #800 on: February 06, 2012, 08:57:24 AM »

Eh, sort of.  Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm not really looking forward to the covers CD.  Not a huge fan of those.  I love it when bands release a covers CD as bonus content with a CD of original music (like DT, Redemption, and sort of Transatlantic), but I don't listen to covers disks enough to feel like I'm getting a decent value when I have to shell out full CD price for a covers disk.

I think once the tracklist is revealed, I may get more or less excited about that release, but my excitement level is pretty high considering it's a recording that features Neal, Mike and Randy. I've loved their covers so much over the years that a straight-up album of just covers would be worth getting, for me at least.

At any rate, the wait to September will be a long one, but at least there will be plenty of new music coming out between now and then!

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #801 on: February 06, 2012, 09:09:42 AM »
I'm not sure the track listing will do much to get me excited.  If their last covers CD is any indication, the majority of material on there will either be songs that I'm not familiar with or will not have really have had much interest in the originals.  Hopefully, just like last time around, they will transform the songs into something I will really like. 

Offline unklejman

« Reply #802 on: February 06, 2012, 09:28:52 AM »

Hey bobs23, I work at a high-end production company. If you want to send me a copy I'd be willing to you give you my professional opinion.... :biggrin:

/brokebegging

Offline darkshade

« Reply #803 on: February 06, 2012, 01:01:36 PM »
So a new Neal Morse album in September

Wow, I thought 2012 was going to be mostly ho-hum for new releases, but every week this year has revealed exciting news. First OSI, then Beardfish, then Flying Colors, then Mars Volta, then The Flower Kings, now NEW NEAL MORSE!!!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:12:13 PM by darkshade »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #804 on: February 06, 2012, 11:26:39 PM »
For shits and giggles, I did a Neal top 25 (from his eight studio albums).  This was tough to narrow it down.  If I did it again tomorrow, 5-25 might move all around, and songs like It's All I Can Do, Inside His Presence, Wasted Life, King Jesus, Jayda, etc. might make it, but 1-4 are pretty much set in stone for now.

1. Crossing Over/Mercy Street Reprise
2. Seeds of Gold
3. The Separated Man
4. In the Fire
5. Somber Days
6. The Truth Will Set You Free
7. 12
8. Mercy Street
9. The Storm Before the Calm
10. Solid As the Sun
11. Time Has Come Today
12. Everything Is Wrong