Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539809 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #735 on: November 03, 2011, 09:49:53 PM »
I've seen that guy in the center before. I have no idea from where though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #736 on: November 04, 2011, 12:47:58 PM »
So wait, the Testimony 2 live DVD package is only available at Radiant for $34.99 and with three live CDs included?  Me no likey.  I don't care about the live CDs, and I am shocked that they wouldn't release a DVDs-only package.  Not sure I can pull the trigger on this at that price. 

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #737 on: November 04, 2011, 01:19:43 PM »
Oh boy! T2 and TA live sets are in. This is going to be a loooong night!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #738 on: November 06, 2011, 02:52:55 PM »
So, random thought...how would you guys rank these Neal Morse "Epics To End All Epics":
The Great Nothing
All Of The Above
Stranger In Your Soul
So Many Roads
Seeds Of Gold

These five are arguably 5 of Neal's best epics, and are chock full of great melodies and themes, and while they're all a bit different, follow some similar Neal-isms that are a bit cliche among his pieces. Here's how I'd rank these five...

1. Stranger In Your Soul
2. Seeds Of Gold
3. All Of The Above
4. The Great Nothing
5. So Many Roads

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #739 on: November 06, 2011, 06:11:24 PM »
1. All of the Above
2. Stranger in Your Soul
3. So Many Roads
4. Seeds of Gold

Haven't heard The Great Nothing.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #740 on: November 06, 2011, 08:55:24 PM »
1. So Many Roads
2. Stranger in your soul
3. The Great Nothing
4. All of the Above
5. Seeds of Gold

I'll probably be the only one with So Many Roads at number one, but I don't mind. . .

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #741 on: November 06, 2011, 10:48:01 PM »
1. Stranger in Your Soul
2. So Many Roads
3. All of the Above
4. Seeds of Gold
5. The Great Nothing

All fantastic songs though.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #742 on: November 06, 2011, 11:17:31 PM »
Well, we are leaving out some of the best epics Neal has written (or hand a big hand in writing, ala the Transatlantic stuff), but as for those five:

1a. Stranger in Your Soul
1b. All of the Above
3. The Great Nothing
4. Seeds of Gold (this could surpass TGN in time; all depends on how it ages)

5. So Many Roads (this doesn't touch any of the others)

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: November 07, 2011, 01:22:04 AM »
Well, we are leaving out some of the best epics Neal has written (or hand a big hand in writing, ala the Transatlantic stuff), but as for those five:

1a. Stranger in Your Soul
1b. All of the Above
3. The Great Nothing
4. Seeds of Gold (this could surpass TGN in time; all depends on how it ages)

Basically that, apart from Seeds of Gold, haven't even heard that one.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #744 on: November 07, 2011, 05:16:59 AM »
"Question Mark" is the ultimate

Anyhow, I'm chiming in to say I just signed my wife up for Neal's Inner Circle for a Christmas present. She is the ultimate Neal fan and she really wanted his Proggy Christmas album so now she has a great treat to look forward to.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: November 07, 2011, 05:53:09 AM »
So wait, the Testimony 2 live DVD package is only available at Radiant for $34.99 and with three live CDs included?  Me no likey.  I don't care about the live CDs, and I am shocked that they wouldn't release a DVDs-only package.  Not sure I can pull the trigger on this at that price.

The new Transatlantic is this way too, right?

I'm sorry, but Neal seems to be pulling a cash-grab on some of his fans. Though, I can surely sympathize if he really needs it, which he might.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #746 on: November 07, 2011, 07:34:51 AM »
All of the above is brilliant.  :hefdaddy

But I've never been a fan of The Great nothing, despite loving the rest of V album.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #747 on: November 07, 2011, 08:22:27 AM »
coolest thing happened the other night.
I went with some friends to an obscure parody band concert in LA and as I walked through the door they were cranking NM ?
They ended up playing the whole album before the show began.
It was miserable though because none of my friends knew him and other than myself and the sound guy, we were it. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #748 on: November 08, 2011, 07:05:18 PM »
FINALLY got my *SIGNED* copy of Testimony 2 - Live In Los Angeles yesterday and managed to watch the whole DVD show and some of the documentary, and listened to the CDs as well. This is an AMAZING live show and there's a lot of energy provided from Neal and Mike as well as the rest of the band! What a perfect "sequel" to the Testimony Live set that came out years ago, featuring most of the same band from that concert tour.

I kind of wish they had done TWO encore songs like they did at other shows (including either "Sing It High", "Bridge Across Forever" or "We All Need Some Light"), but "Reunion" was a lot of fun to watch/listen to! I'm also VERY glad there's a fade-out between "Reunion" and the end of "Testimony 1 - Part Five" on the CDs!!! It made it easy for me to rip the songs to iTunes and re-order the tracks (1 through 20) and placing the songs in concert order on my iTunes/iPod!

I'll have to watch the entire documentary another night, as well as the Neal w/SB extra on the first DVD before I can comment on any of it, but the show itself is amazing and it was totally worth all that it costs, and getting it hand-signed by Neal and Mike is quite a bonus! Now I just gotta make time to watch the Transatlantic - Live In Tilburg DVDs...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #749 on: November 10, 2011, 11:39:27 PM »
Glad to hear the DVD is cool.  I really hope he decides to release just the DVDs of the live show at some point so I can get this.  I am not paying extra money for live CDs I don't care about.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #750 on: November 11, 2011, 10:00:36 AM »
I agree, it is an OK song but not in the same league as those others.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #751 on: November 22, 2011, 12:10:53 PM »
Watched a bit of the T2 DVD live last night.  The performance is just terrific (as I knew from listening to the CD's).  Kind of a bummer the venue is so small.  The tiny stage, the crowding of all the musicians and their gear, and the inability to have much in the way of good lighting take a bit away from the overall vibe of the show.  Also, when it goes into split screen mode, it is distracting and looks amateurish.  However, even with those criticisms, it is still a fun show to watch.  Great set.  Lots of energy.  Very good performance.  I really can't complain at all for $25.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #752 on: November 22, 2011, 02:09:31 PM »
$25?  How did you manage that?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #753 on: November 22, 2011, 02:20:47 PM »
That's what they charged here at the local shop where I bought it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #754 on: November 22, 2011, 03:02:35 PM »
Bosk, don't lie, you walked in there and started choking employees until you got a discount.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #755 on: November 22, 2011, 03:18:55 PM »
Not my fault.  I found their lack of faith disturbing.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #756 on: November 22, 2011, 03:38:54 PM »
Luke, I am your customer.

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #757 on: January 19, 2012, 06:45:51 AM »
Wow i don't know what it is bout Neal's music besides the music itself if great but it really seems to move me emotionally , I cannot remember the last time i said this , I'm not a very spiritual person either but it has been on my mind more often .
Am i being brain washed by listening to his music lol !!! 

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: January 19, 2012, 07:01:24 AM »
Oh and I don't think I've seen mentioning of this:

Neal is twittering about writing a new album.

MP is twittering about being in the studio with a 'special person'.

Neal tweeted yesterday 'You awake Mike'?

It seems like they're both working on new material. Quite possibly together. And assuming they're working together.... Transatlantic?

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #759 on: January 19, 2012, 08:22:35 AM »
Watched a bit of the T2 DVD live last night.  The performance is just terrific (as I knew from listening to the CD's).  Kind of a bummer the venue is so small.  The tiny stage, the crowding of all the musicians and their gear, and the inability to have much in the way of good lighting take a bit away from the overall vibe of the show.  Also, when it goes into split screen mode, it is distracting and looks amateurish.  However, even with those criticisms, it is still a fun show to watch.  Great set.  Lots of energy.  Very good performance.  I really can't complain at all for $25.

I actually tried to get them to spread out a bit. There was a good 15 feet behind MP. I also protested the splits, at least I was able to talk him into the letterbox splits.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #760 on: January 19, 2012, 08:56:27 AM »

It seems like they're both working on new material. Quite possibly together. And assuming they're working together.... Transatlantic?

Very doubtful.  Probably Neal's next studio album.  If it were TA, it would probably be more of a secret. 

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #761 on: January 19, 2012, 09:01:01 AM »
They are not working together this week. 100% positive.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #762 on: January 19, 2012, 09:05:06 AM »

Very doubtful.  Probably Neal's next studio album.  If it were TA, it would probably be more of a secret. 

If history is any indication, you are probably right.  But just to play devil's advocate, there was much more to be gained by keeping a TA reunion a secret last time around than right now.  Fans had been hoping for a TA reunion for YEARS, and went absolutely ballistic when it happened.  And the guys did it right by keeping it low key, etc.  This time around, there isn't quite the fever pitch since we just got The Whirlwind, the tour, and two live CD/DVD sets very recently.  And everyone knows Neal and Mike are doing a bunch of things right now.  So I see less of a need/benefit from absolute secrecy if they were indeed working on new TA right now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #763 on: January 19, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »

Well, shoot.  :(

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #764 on: January 19, 2012, 10:12:24 AM »
Jan 29th they start recording drums and bass for Neal's new album (from inner circle newsletter).  No actual information on the album, though.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #765 on: January 19, 2012, 04:24:24 PM »
Maybe Mike did a track or two on the new Spock's Beard album?

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: January 19, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »

Well, shoot.  :(

Dammit, I tried, haha.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #767 on: January 19, 2012, 07:05:18 PM »
Jan 29th they start recording drums and bass for Neal's new album (from inner circle newsletter).  No actual information on the album, though.

They are to record Neal's new solo album, AS WELL AS a new Covers album, and Randy George posted on Neal's forums asking us (the posters there) if we wanted another Studio Diary from him, and of course we've all said YES!

So that brings us up to TWO of THREE albums that Neal is working on for this year. But what's the third? Of course Transatlantic comes to mind, and it's possible. Pete will be in America for the upcoming Marillion tour, so he may find some time before or after June to record at Neal's studio with Mike, Neal and Roine. OR...it could be something else altogether, or something new. Who knows!

Either way, Neal's got Flying Colors coming out in March, and plans to have the new Covers album sometime in spring (I'd guess April or May), and then assuming his schedule is pretty standard, his new solo prog album will probably see a June or July release (it took him 6 months to release Testimony 2 last year), so March-May-July...could be a very Neal-tastic year!!! This isn't even bringing up his third to-be-recorded album for 2012, so we'll have FOUR STUDIO RELEASES from Neal this year! The man likes to stay busy - no wonder he and Mike get along so well! :lol

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #768 on: January 24, 2012, 08:02:06 PM »
This just in from Randy George's FB -

Headed to Nashville in the morning to work on 3 albums with Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy... yes I said 3...

See you when I surface for air!

As was eluded to in Neal's Inner Circle newsletter, TWO of them are Neal's next prog solo album, and another is a new Covers album, both with Portnoy. As for the third one, I guess it's safe to say that it's NOT Transatlantic now that, presumably, all three Neal's albums will involve Randy (and possibly even Mike). What would the third one be? Hmmm...

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #769 on: January 24, 2012, 08:22:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure Randy is a very faith oriented person, and so he is perhaps doing one of Neal's more overtly religious albums? I don't know if he has in the past, but I know Neal does albums marketed at Christians moreso than prog fans and it's quite possible that has something to do with it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1