Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 547587 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3185 on: December 18, 2018, 08:32:16 AM »
"The Great Adventure" music video - https://youtu.be/hcq6xc26WQI

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3186 on: December 18, 2018, 08:57:03 AM »
First listen...I like it. While it doesn't blow me away I'm not expecting them to hit us with some of the more 'involved' or more technical songs with these releases....but I do like this one after the first listen. Although, and this isn't a sleight it's just a fact....it's a very 'Neal' song....meaning, there's nothing ground breaking going on here. Just more of the same that I've heard from him before. Nothing wrong with that if it sounds cool...but it's certainly not a break from the norm.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3187 on: December 18, 2018, 08:58:42 AM »
I like it! That will have the whole crowd clapping along at the live shows. :hat

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3188 on: December 18, 2018, 09:40:56 AM »
I'm not gonna listen......as i said i'm always underwhelmed by any single.  ALWAYS.  doesn't  matter who it is.  i was already underwhelmed by the first one so i'm gonna wait for the album.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3189 on: December 18, 2018, 10:01:27 AM »
I dig this one a little bit more than Welcome to the World (which I thought was fine but didn't blow me away either).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3190 on: December 18, 2018, 10:20:19 AM »
Too many keyboard solos, no guitar solo.  I'm sure Eric will have plenty of guitar solos throughout the record, but this song needs one too. Great song though, loved the drums and vocals and the rhythm guitar sound. :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #3191 on: December 18, 2018, 10:25:59 AM »
I really like it. I hear Kansas, Yes, & Styx influences in the song along with Neal's signature voice & sound. Neal is a great songwriter. Dude just knows how to write a song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3192 on: December 18, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »
Too many keyboard solos, no guitar solo.  I'm sure Eric will have plenty of guitar solos throughout the record, but this song needs one too. Great song though, loved the drums and vocals and the rhythm guitar sound. :tup

Interesting, I didn't even notice.  To me, as much as I prefer guitar-driven songs, the fact that I didn't notice that there wasn't a guitar solo speaks to the strength of the song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online goo-goo

« Reply #3193 on: December 18, 2018, 10:52:08 AM »
Man, just cancelled my IC membership. It kind of hurt since I've been an IC member for a looooooooong time. But with the new downloads stuff, it was a big turn off for me. Specially the DVDs. When I got an IC DVD, I just popped it in and played it in my TV. Now I have to download it and either burn it or play it in my laptop as an ISO. Typically I don't enjoy watching movies in a laptop. I loved Neal's behind the scenes videos.  I deeply enjoyed the information and insight that these behind the scenes DVDs gave. I'm a huge fan of Making of videos so that was my main interest with the IC. Anyways, maybe I'll rejoin sometime in the future, maybe not. For now, I'll just wait for the latest Making of DVD in the The Great Adventure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3194 on: December 18, 2018, 03:52:54 PM »
Not that I don't love Neal's voice, but I hope some of the next few singles are songs where Eric and/or Bill handle the lead vocals.  I thought it was neat that the pre-release videos for Similitude featured songs where they each sang lead - City of Destruction (mostly Neal), The Ways of a Fool (mostly Bill, Neal the last verse), So Far Gone (Eric, till the end where all three trade off), etc.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3195 on: December 18, 2018, 04:25:49 PM »
I'm not expecting them to hit us with some of the more 'involved' or more technical songs with these releases....

Then I think you'll be surprised

Not that I don't love Neal's voice, but I hope some of the next few singles are songs where Eric and/or Bill handle the lead vocals.  I thought it was neat that the pre-release videos for Similitude featured songs where they each sang lead - City of Destruction (mostly Neal), The Ways of a Fool (mostly Bill, Neal the last verse), So Far Gone (Eric, till the end where all three trade off), etc.

Keep your hope up

Offline 425

« Reply #3196 on: December 18, 2018, 05:07:12 PM »
Just listened to the song and really enjoyed it! It may just be that I'm more into Neal's music now than I was then, but I'm enjoying these singles more than I did the ones for Similitude, so I'm quite optimistic about this album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #3197 on: December 18, 2018, 07:41:16 PM »
Fantastic! Can't wait for release date! What a fantastic band!  :hefdaddy

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3198 on: December 21, 2018, 06:02:39 PM »

-Marc.

So I stumbled upon this video on youtube tonight.

Not into Neal Morse by any stretch, but I figured WTH. It was really enjoyable. I like my music a little heavier, but that was really nice.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3199 on: December 21, 2018, 06:38:49 PM »

-Marc.
I like my music a little heavier, but that was really nice.

Probably this is your record

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3200 on: December 21, 2018, 06:42:15 PM »
Cool, I'll give it a Spotify listen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3201 on: December 21, 2018, 06:52:37 PM »
Cool, I'll give it a Spotify listen.

I see what you did there
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3202 on: December 21, 2018, 07:01:45 PM »
What did I do? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3203 on: December 21, 2018, 07:16:10 PM »
 :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3204 on: December 21, 2018, 07:20:44 PM »

-Marc.

So I stumbled upon this video on youtube tonight.

Not into Neal Morse by any stretch, but I figured WTH. It was really enjoyable. I like my music a little heavier, but that was really nice.

One of us! One of us!
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3205 on: December 21, 2018, 07:45:00 PM »
Hah!. Not so fast! ;D

I've sampled some of Neal's work, and I respect it as high quality. I just wish I liked it more. But I enjoyed that song, and it earned a dedicated listen to the album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3206 on: December 22, 2018, 09:32:37 AM »

Keep your hope up

:tup :tup

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3207 on: December 22, 2018, 10:53:10 AM »
I'm not gonna listen......as i said i'm always underwhelmed by any single.  ALWAYS.  doesn't  matter who it is.  i was already underwhelmed by the first one so i'm gonna wait for the album.

I don't either. Still haven't heard the Dream Theater song either. I want everything to be new when the album hits the CD player and I'm pouring over the art and liner notes.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3208 on: December 22, 2018, 10:59:06 AM »
Man, just cancelled my IC membership. It kind of hurt since I've been an IC member for a looooooooong time. But with the new downloads stuff, it was a big turn off for me. Specially the DVDs. When I got an IC DVD, I just popped it in and played it in my TV. Now I have to download it and either burn it or play it in my laptop as an ISO. Typically I don't enjoy watching movies in a laptop. I loved Neal's behind the scenes videos.  I deeply enjoyed the information and insight that these behind the scenes DVDs gave. I'm a huge fan of Making of videos so that was my main interest with the IC. Anyways, maybe I'll rejoin sometime in the future, maybe not. For now, I'll just wait for the latest Making of DVD in the The Great Adventure.

Cancelled mine last year after being a member since he started it.  I enjoyed the CD/DVDs showing up in the mail, but once that stopped I was out.

I understand why he did it, it's a lot less time consuming, but it's a lot less tangible to me.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3209 on: December 23, 2018, 10:05:26 AM »
That IC thing with the physical copies sounded pretty cool, hope he does something about it.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3210 on: December 24, 2018, 02:57:21 PM »

This is the link: ticketf.ly/2OttSHk

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3211 on: December 28, 2018, 08:29:35 AM »
Morsefest 2019 has just been announced

https://youtu.be/13S-2uZeY5M

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3212 on: December 28, 2018, 09:35:31 AM »
Figure it's a pretty safe bet that one night will be the new double album front to back. The content of the other night will determine whether I make the trip down to Nashville.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3213 on: December 28, 2018, 09:39:11 AM »

Agreed, one night will likely be the final full performance of The Great Adventure, but the other night...hmmm.

Momentum in its entirety? Or perhaps something entirely different, like a Flying Colors night? The timing could be right if FC3 drops in the fall and then they tour.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3214 on: December 28, 2018, 11:17:17 AM »
Itd be funny if he did TSOAD one night and TGA the other.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3215 on: December 28, 2018, 11:54:51 PM »
Itd be funny if he did TSOAD one night and TGA the other.

I highly doubt that, mostly because Neal hasn't repeated an album performance from any of his other Morsefests, and I doubt he'd do it now when he JUST played that album live last year. I feel like it would cheapen the experience of having seen the final full performance of TSOAD at Morsefest 2017. Sure, thematically it would be nice to have the one album played and THEN its sequel played the next night, but I don't see it happening at all.

I think we're more likely to see Momentum played in full, then maybe as an encore after that, a long medley of TSOAD songs (since I'm sure they'll make a medley out of it sooner or later like they've done with Testimony, ?, and Sola Scriptura).

Or I could be wrong about Momentum or Flying Colors and Neal could completely surprise us with something new/different...(Transatlantic would be a HUGE surprise if it happened).

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3216 on: December 29, 2018, 03:32:41 AM »
If Flying Colors does drop an album this year, it will be the obvious choice for Morsefest.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3217 on: December 29, 2018, 05:55:42 AM »
If Flying Colors does drop an album this year, it will be the obvious choice for Morsefest.

Neal is already touring for TGA and if FC releases another album, most likely there will be a small tour for that. Repeating both of those at MF seems a bit anticlimactic. I've never been to a MF but I always felt that they catered to a more hardcore fan that would appreciate something relatively obscure and rare. If FC is a part of it, it might be cooler to see them do their first album in its entirety instead. Or even Transatlantic do a SMPT:e or BAF set.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3218 on: December 29, 2018, 09:02:42 AM »

Hotel reservations have already been booked by this guy!  :tup :tup

Neal is already touring for TGA and if FC releases another album, most likely there will be a small tour for that. Repeating both of those at MF seems a bit anticlimactic. I've never been to a MF but I always felt that they catered to a more hardcore fan that would appreciate something relatively obscure and rare. If FC is a part of it, it might be cooler to see them do their first album in its entirety instead. Or even Transatlantic do a SMPT:e or BAF set.

I totally agree with the bolded. 

I think it's a given that Night 2 will be The Great Adventure performed in full, with all of the usual Morsefest bells and whistles, with Night 1 being the question mark, no pun intended. 

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3219 on: December 29, 2018, 10:22:45 AM »
I don't know what night 1 will be.  but i have to be honest and say i could do without a transatlantic night.  as we have Nearly all of their materiel out live a few times over.

so i kinda would be deflated a bit with that.I could see a flying colors night which i would really enjoy.