Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 544336 times)

Offline DTA

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3150 on: December 04, 2018, 02:39:55 PM »
Off-topic rant:

In conjunction with my gripe about the uncreatively named "Overture", Neal has a song called Songs Of Freedom that he played on his previous tour. There's a song called Song For The Free on Songs From November. There's Freedom Song on Similitude, and now there's a song called Freedom Calling. He definitely needs to retire certain words from his titles.

The new track was okay, but pretty standard NM by this point.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #3151 on: December 04, 2018, 03:44:04 PM »
Nothing surprising with the new song to me.  But I absolutely love it!  Definitely can tell the lyrical connection to Similitude.  I'd rather have a new album of a few long epics as opposed to a sequel full of short songs, but that comment aside I'm sure I'll love the new album.  Similitude never grew on me as much as most Neal albums for whatever reason, so I'm hoping I like this one better.  But hey even Neal's least good albums to me are still great.

I remember when they were pre-releasing "singles" from Similitude (Long Day/Overture, So Far Gone).  I think my initial reactions were a bit more positive to those (although those both felt more epic and less single-y so it's probably not a fair comparison).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3152 on: December 04, 2018, 06:08:08 PM »
I like the new song a lot! I listened to it at work today on the ear buds and then again just now...and it is already stuck in my head. :lol :coolio

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #3153 on: December 04, 2018, 06:51:07 PM »
Well it’s hard to not have it stuck in your head. They say “welcome to the world “ about 50 times inn that song!

To me it’s typical NM fare, nothing surprising nor was I expecting something surprising. Neal has been cranking out this type of stuff for years.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3154 on: December 04, 2018, 08:13:35 PM »
Off-topic rant:

In conjunction with my gripe about the uncreatively named "Overture", Neal has a song called Songs Of Freedom that he played on his previous tour. There's a song called Song For The Free on Songs From November. There's Freedom Song on Similitude, and now there's a song called Freedom Calling. He definitely needs to retire certain words from his titles.

The new track was okay, but pretty standard NM by this point.

Huh, I've never noticed the seemingly over-use of words like "Freedom" among these titles. I guess it comes with the lyrical ground that Neal often treads upon. Maybe someone should mention it to him whenever they interview him next and see what he says about it! :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3155 on: December 04, 2018, 08:32:50 PM »
Yeah, and what's up with using the word "Jesus" so often? :P

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3156 on: December 04, 2018, 09:30:58 PM »
Yeah, and what's up with using the word "Jesus" so often? :P

Neal's a Christian?

:biggrin:

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3157 on: December 05, 2018, 03:40:52 AM »
Nice track, I'm really digging it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3158 on: December 05, 2018, 10:46:55 AM »
I would love to see Neal live, given that he might be my favorite composer of the last twenty years. However, he apparently isn't that big a deal in Eastern Europe. I have no idea when was the last time he performed in Vienna, Budapest, Bratislava or Sofia.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #3159 on: December 05, 2018, 11:35:42 AM »
I really like Welcome to the World.  I good strait forward rocker.  Lyrically strong too. 

I was initially disappointed that TGA was not the continuation of Christian's journey in the Pilgrim's Progress.  I was wondering why Neal chose to switch to his son and tell his story.  However, it seems that Neal is going to tell the son's story which can provide new angles for the character while bringing the son through the struggles that Christian faced on the second half of his journey in the book.  The titles in act II are very clearly taken from the second half of the book.  I would have preferred sticking to Christian just so it would be one cohesive story over 4 discs.  I hope the son meets the father at the end of the journey.  That could be a potential tear jerker ending.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #3160 on: December 05, 2018, 11:37:02 AM »
Also, going to see the NMB in Philly.  Anyone else going to be there?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3161 on: December 05, 2018, 07:51:12 PM »
Neal having a "tear jerker ending" is kind of a given, no? ;)

I am making a point to not listen to the single again yet, as I don't always like getting to know one song too well before hearing the whole album.  Now, once the videos come out, and they supposedly filmed at least three, then I am sure I will change my mind... :lol :lol  IIRC, Similitude had like 4-5 videos released before the album dropped.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3162 on: December 06, 2018, 12:24:28 AM »
I would love to see Neal live, given that he might be my favorite composer of the last twenty years. However, he apparently isn't that big a deal in Eastern Europe. I have no idea when was the last time he performed in Vienna, Budapest, Bratislava or Sofia.

True, although he comes to Germany for pretty much all of his tours. He'll be in Brno in April though.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3163 on: December 06, 2018, 01:38:49 AM »
(Re-structuring my idea here)

Lately with MP I've been feeling that his music is being made out of pure inertia, and ends up sounding just repetitive.
I agree that both he and NM make such tons of music that it's difficult to come up with something new all the time, however, this isn't something new, and not exclusive to Neal Morse, it kind of happened too in Sons of Apollo.

In pretty much every Neal Morse project he kind of sounds the same, like he just sits and plays.
Sure, that's his style, but after so many hours worth of music and so many CD's it kind of starts feeling heavily repetitive, like, seriously, if you isolated MP's drum parts from several songs and scrambled them, I highly doubt I'd be able to distinguish any of the songs.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:52:28 AM by Darkstarshades »
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3164 on: December 06, 2018, 09:34:57 AM »
(Re-structuring my idea here)

Lately with MP I've been feeling that his music is being made out of pure inertia, and ends up sounding just repetitive.
I agree that both he and NM make such tons of music that it's difficult to come up with something new all the time, however, this isn't something new, and not exclusive to Neal Morse, it kind of happened too in Sons of Apollo.

In pretty much every Neal Morse project he kind of sounds the same, like he just sits and plays.
Sure, that's his style, but after so many hours worth of music and so many CD's it kind of starts feeling heavily repetitive, like, seriously, if you isolated MP's drum parts from several songs and scrambled them, I highly doubt I'd be able to distinguish any of the songs.

i really agree.  but for some reason with Neal.  i find myself not caring.

i say myself saying every tune is folling the same blueprint but i always end up really loving it all the same.  i don'y know what it is.....but neal is one artist where i just do not care, lol

Ditto MP'S playing.  i can hear a new tune and tell you what fills he will use and where.  but it doesn't bother me......at least when he's with Neal.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3165 on: December 06, 2018, 10:54:39 AM »
I dunno, I never really thought about it that way. I always just really enjoyed listening to MP's drumming. His performance on Live in Tilburg is very impressive and fun to watch, same with SOA when I saw them live in Seattle. I thought he mixed it up well and keeps things fresh. I guess I just don't look into it so much..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3166 on: December 06, 2018, 02:33:05 PM »
His performance on Live in Tilburg is very impressive and fun to watch, same with SOA when I saw them live in Seattle.

MP's live performances are fantastic. He is a true showman....and incredible drummer to boot. Saw both SOAD and SOA live and he killed it.

But I get the argument/debate about his repertoire. He's been done cultivating it for years now. He uses his tried and true 'tricks' and that's that. For the most part it still works for him. But there are some efforts where a bit of 'freshness' could really benefit him.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DTA

« Reply #3167 on: December 06, 2018, 03:04:22 PM »
Anyone know the best way to get ahold of someone at Radiant Records? A reliable email address or facebook or something? I ordered an album on the day after Thanksgiving and there's no sign of it anywhere. I live in the US so there's no reason why it should take 2 weeks. What a shitty company.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3168 on: December 06, 2018, 05:21:28 PM »
Anyone know the best way to get ahold of someone at Radiant Records? A reliable email address or facebook or something? I ordered an album on the day after Thanksgiving and there's no sign of it anywhere. I live in the US so there's no reason why it should take 2 weeks. What a shitty company.

Join the "Neal Morse Forum" on FB and bring it to their attention.  The lady who runs it is on that page.

My guess is she is busy getting out the delayed bungle packages and whatnot, but that is still no excuse.  Bad customer service is bad customer service, and it's clear that Radiant does not consistently give good customer service.

Neal is right near the top of my list of musicians I have no problem buying whatever just to support him financially, but the list is long of things I didn't buy simply because I didn't want the aggravation of dealing with Radiant.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3169 on: December 07, 2018, 01:38:26 PM »

Join the "Neal Morse Forum" on FB and bring it to their attention.  The lady who runs it is on that page.

My guess is she is busy getting out the delayed bungle packages and whatnot, but that is still no excuse.  Bad customer service is bad customer service, and it's clear that Radiant does not consistently give good customer service.

Neal is right near the top of my list of musicians I have no problem buying whatever just to support him financially, but the list is long of things I didn't buy simply because I didn't want the aggravation of dealing with Radiant.

Just did that. Thanks for the heads-up! This is the first time I've ordered a physical item from them so this is a new experience for me. I did order an album as an mp3 version and it was missing a track. I wound up having to just get it from somewhere else as no one ever answered any emails.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3170 on: December 07, 2018, 04:44:56 PM »
Not surprised.  It is never a good sign when the person in charge of customer service basically says, "I don't have time to answer all of the emails."  I manage the accounts of two of our biggest customers at work and would get chewed out Monday morning if I told my boss or one of my customers that I didn't update them about a delay via email (or on the phone) because "I didn't have time."  You make time for your customers, because you don't have a job without them.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3171 on: December 09, 2018, 09:44:22 AM »
I know, her response was so stupid, but I didn't want to make a hassle in a public forum. I can't imagine she's getting that many emails that it's just too overwhelming to say "it will ship on this date". Has anyone made Neal aware of how poorly Radiant is run? I'm not sure how much control/oversight he has, but I'm honestly hesitant to order stuff from there again. I know I'm just one person out of a bunch, but it's already a niche genre, and annoying customer service is actively making me search elsewhere for his stuff. It's not even like I'm anxiously waiting for my item (To God Be The Glory), but there's no indication it's even being shipped or that the order is eventually being fulfilled.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3172 on: December 09, 2018, 10:36:26 AM »
I agree, it is better to play nice and not cause a hassle on a public FB forum, but it definitely has to be infuriating.

No clue if Neal has any idea, but I know that Amy and Joey are really good friends of his, so I am sure that is a big reason why she is the main one in charge of Radiant now (she runs Radiant, Joey was the emcee at the last two Morsefests - both seem like really nice people).  Most fans of his are so loyal that I think they will keep ordering from Radiant non-stop no matter what, since it directly supports Neal, so I doubt there is much blowback when these spells of poor customer service happen.  And I realize it is essentially a "mom and pop"-type operation - it's not Amazon after all - so some patience is always required.  I get it.  The lack of communication is what grinds my gears, as you basically have to call them out on FB, like you did, to get any type of response at times, and that is not the way it should be.

Long story short (too late!), it is buyer beware when it comes to Radiant Records.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3173 on: December 09, 2018, 11:36:32 AM »
They should have something in heir site just like MP4 productions and or Ytse Jam récords do: your order will take Xs number of days to ship. If it ships before fine and people it’s already aware on what to expect. 

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #3174 on: December 09, 2018, 01:56:33 PM »
I'm just now hearing the new single, and I really like it! Really enjoyable vocal harmonies and guitar solos - getting a lot of Queen vibes, which is never a bad thing. Pretty neat lyric video too.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #3175 on: December 09, 2018, 03:10:20 PM »
Also, going to see the NMB in Philly.  Anyone else going to be there?

+1

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #3176 on: December 09, 2018, 03:12:40 PM »
To me, new song is "ok" but I expect much awesomeness from TGA

Offline 425

« Reply #3177 on: December 10, 2018, 09:31:55 PM »
Really enjoyed Welcome to the World right on first listen. Loved what they did with the harmonies. And I thought the lyric video was pretty cool, too, especially the silhouettes.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3178 on: December 14, 2018, 08:44:53 AM »
After contacting Randiant this morning, I got an automated replied:

Hello!

Thanks for emailing.  As many of you know, we have had a lot going on around here at Radiant! If you don't know, we are a small mom and pop company so it takes a little time to process orders especially when we have a new release.  With this past release (Morsefest 2017: Testimony of a Dream) we had several different issues resulting in some serious delays. I know many of you have emailed about the status of your order.  I am using all my time in the day to package and ship orders right now.  I am trying to go through emails at night, but it is very time consuming and so there are some that are falling through the cracks.  So...here is an general update..

ALL Morsefest 2017: Testimony of a Dream orders that were placed before November 26th will be shipped out by the end of business Thursday, December 6th.

We will start processing the Cyber Monday sale orders Friday(December 7th) morning.  Keep in mind that we did receive a lot of orders so it will take several business days to get all of these out, but we should have them all shipped by Wednesday, December 12th. 

If you ordered after November 27th, your order will ship Thursday or Friday, December 13th and 14th.

I hope this is clear.  Thank you so much for your support and patience with me while we work through this.

Many Blessings,
Amy

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3179 on: December 14, 2018, 10:13:22 AM »
Sounds reasonable.

But I will go back to what I said earlier:  Radiant has had a history of issues with preorders.  That isn't to say they are shady or anything like that.  But there is a pattern.  And since that has been known for years on this forum, I just don't understand why forum members in particular would consider preordering from them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3180 on: December 14, 2018, 11:47:48 AM »
Sounds reasonable.

But I will go back to what I said earlier:  Radiant has had a history of issues with preorders.  That isn't to say they are shady or anything like that.  But there is a pattern.  And since that has been known for years on this forum, I just don't understand why forum members in particular would consider preordering from them.

Yes, you ar right. I purchase from them ONLY to give the money directly to Neal, thats all.

That email, got me thinking,if they know they are a small business ran by papa and mama, and they know that with new releases they get a lot of orders, why don't you hire son, daughter and cousin to help you do the work that papa and mama can't by themselves?!?!?!?!

Anyways, I'll be waiting for my order.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:37:34 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline 425

« Reply #3181 on: December 14, 2018, 01:26:00 PM »
After contacting Randiant this morning, I got an automated replied:

Hello!

Thanks for emailing.  As many of you know, we have had a lot going on around here at Radiant! If you don't know, we are a small mom and pop company so it takes a little time to process orders especially when we have a new release.  With this past release (Morsefest 2017: Testimony of a Dream) we had several different issues resulting in some serious delays. I know many of you have emailed about the status of your order.  I am using all my time in the day to package and ship orders right now.  I am trying to go through emails at night, but it is very time consuming and so there are some that are falling through the cracks.  So...here is an general update..

ALL Morsefest 2017: Testimony of a Dream orders that were placed before November 26th will be shipped out by the end of business Thursday, December 6th.

We will start processing the Cyber Monday sale orders Friday(December 7th) morning.  Keep in mind that we did receive a lot of orders so it will take several business days to get all of these out, but we should have them all shipped by Wednesday, December 12th. 

If you ordered after November 27th, your order will ship Thursday or Friday, December 13th and 14th.

I hope this is clear.  Thank you so much for your support and patience with me while we work through this.

Many Blessings,
Amy

Thanks for sharing this. That said, I'm waiting on a Cyber Monday order and have yet to receive a notice that it's shipped (which I have in the past when ordering from Radiant). I'm not trying to definitively state what is or isn't going on, but I think it is possible that they've experienced a further delay, beyond what is described in the email.

I don't really mind too much, because I'm getting some extraordinarily good deals on that order on stuff that I probably would not otherwise be buying for months or years, and I like supporting Neal's store even when I am paying full price. But I thought I'd share my perspective on what's going on.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3182 on: December 14, 2018, 02:52:17 PM »
I kind of feel bad for businesses that function like this. It's almost like the customers support them out of pity and give up on having a proper service for the sake of supporting the "underdog". I'm not sure what else to make of it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3183 on: December 16, 2018, 06:07:54 PM »
I'm that guy: I'll pay Fish or Neal Morse a couple dollars more for the same disk that I can buy on Amazon for a reasonable price.

But, and I don't mean to be a dick here, I don't think I have to settle for crappy service to do it.  It's not rocket science to send out merchandise.  eBay is filled with 'companies' that do exactly this.  it doesn't take a seasoned corporate marketing executive to send out an email acknowledging an order or indicating a shipping date.   If it takes four weeks, so be it, I can wait; it's music after all, not life saving penicillin.  But just let me know.   Under promise and over deliver.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3184 on: December 16, 2018, 06:40:43 PM »
Has anyone ordered the blu-ray of Morsefest 2017 from Amazon? This is their listing
I would normally order from Radiant and have a good history with them but it's almost twice what I would pay for the bluray only. The amazon listing says region locked but one of the comment says it's not correct.
Was wondering if anyone else from here ordered the same one.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan