Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 545309 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2940 on: September 24, 2018, 05:45:13 PM »
I am guessing Saturday night does better since some have to work on Friday and come down just for one show, unlike those of us who take off work to be able to go to both shows. ;)

While I would have preferred more Spock's songs, the covers were cool.  Last year's Morsefest was nearly 3 hours both nights and not a cover was played either night, so there ya go. :)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2941 on: October 15, 2018, 09:08:10 AM »
I’m on the phone and can’t link the post right now, but MP just announced on Instagram that NMB will release a new double concept album “The Great Adventure”, a sequel of sorts to TSOAD, on January 25th 2019.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2942 on: October 15, 2018, 09:10:05 AM »
Fuck yes, my body is ready :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2943 on: October 15, 2018, 09:24:57 AM »
THE NEAL MORSE BAND
INVITES FANS TO EXPERIENCE
‘THE GREAT ADVENTURE’
WITH NEW ALBUM SET FOR RELEASE JANUARY 25 2019
ON RADIANT RECORDS/METAL BLADE WORLDWIDE;

WORLDWIDE TOUR STARTS
FEBRUARY 3, 2019 IN NASHVILLE AT CITY WINERY

October 15, 2018 -- THE NEAL MORSE BAND—Neal Morse (lead vocals, guitars, keyboards), Mike Portnoy (drums, vocals), Randy George (bass), Bill Hubauer (keyboards, vocals), Eric Gillette (guitars, vocals)—will take fans on THE GREAT ADVENTURE with their latest double concept album due out January 25, 2019 on Radiant Records via Metal Blade Worldwide. It will be available in three formats: a two CD package, two CD/DVD Special Edition featuring behind-the-scenes video clips of the making of the album, and three vinyl LPs. Pre-orders begin December 4 on Radiant Records’ website.

The follow-up to 2016’s critically acclaimed THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM, which critics hailed as “a masterpiece,” will be the ninth studio album with Morse, Portnoy and George, and the third as a true collaboration with this current lineup. Together, Morse and Portnoy have launched four bands, but the one that has endured the longest and thus with the most musical output has been THE NEAL MORSE BAND.

“Let the great adventure now begin…” The closing line of THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM, has proved to be strangely prophetic. The new album is exactly that: a perfect companion piece to TSOAD’s partial retelling of John Bunyan’s The Pilgrim’s Progress. It has everything that fans would expect from an album by THE NEAL MORSE BAND, and more: rock, metal, classical and jazz elements appear throughout, as well as some killer melodies, all played faultlessly by some of the greatest rock musicians on the planet.

As Neal Morse explains, “This band continues to amaze me! I have to say it was a little daunting to follow up THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM as it was such a special album and it delivered every night at our concerts, but I believe that THE GREAT ADVENTURE will have a tremendous impact as well. This new double album is everything that I hoped it would be! I listened through last night and I was in tears at the end!“

Mike Portnoy emphatically agrees. He says, “How do you follow an epic double concept album??? Well, create another epic double concept album!! Hahaha. I always knew topping THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM was going to be difficult, if not impossible, as I held it in such high regard, but alas, I am absolutely blown away with what we achieved here! We’ve created what is the ultimate companion to TSOAD.”

“Sometimes there are things that you just can’t mess with,” Randy George continues. “On THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM we tapped into something special. I was sure that the follow up should be something quite different, but you have to follow your heart and follow the music where it wants to go. THE GREAT ADVENTURE is nothing short of a miracle. It’s similar to SIMILITUDE in concept and form, but yet it’s tougher and deeper in its tone! This is a powerful work and I look forward to playing it live!

True to the album’s title, the creative process was indeed a “great adventure.” Unlike many previous Morse albums, which have often been written and arranged within weeks, this time around these prolific and world-class musicians spent almost a year working on the end result, producing an abundance of top quality material. This meant some ruthless decision-making: some already completed songs and characters had to go, and-–with studio time running out–new links and ideas were being composed and recorded up to the eleventh hour. “A lot of work and re-work has gone into this,” says Morse, “but I know that some of the most successful and far-reaching albums I’ve been involved with have been just like that. SOLA SCRIPTURA and Spock’s Beard’s SNOW album come to mind.”

Another key question that had to be addressed in the studio was how to pull all the ideas together into a coherent whole. In the end, what unlocked this “adventure” for Morse was the realization that THE GREAT ADVENTURE needed a new voice and perspective. This time, it is that of the Pilgrim’s abandoned son, a younger, perhaps angrier, voice than was heard on THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM.

THE NEAL MORSE BAND will bring THE GREAT ADVENTURE to fans worldwide with a new round of headlining tour dates, which begin February 3, 2019 in Nashville at City Winery. For ticket information and VIP ticket sales go to www.radiantrecords.com. Check them out at any of the following stops, with more shows to be added in the coming months:

DATE CITY VENUE

Sat 2/2 Nashville, TN City Winery
Sun 2/3 Tampa, FL The Ritz (Cruise To The Edge Pre-Cruise Party)
Mon 2/4 Tampa, FL Cruise To The Edge 2019 (through February 9)
Sun 2/10 Atlanta, GA City Winery
Mon 2/11 Charlotte, NC Neighborhood Theatre
Tue 2/12 Baltimore, MD Soundstage
Wed 2/13 Jersey City, NJ White Eagle Hall
Fri 2/15 Boston, MA The Sinclair
Sat 2/16 Philadelphia, PA Keswick Theatre
Sun 2/17 Westbury NY The Space at Westbury
Mon 2/18 Montréal, QUE. Club Soda
Tue 2/19 Quebec City, QUE. Salle Sylvain Lelievre
Thu 2/21 Toronto, ONT. Opera House
Fri 2/22 Pittsburgh, PA Mr. Smalls Theatre
Sat 2/23 Cleveland, OH Beachland Ballroom
Sun 2/24 Detroit, MI The Crofoot Ballroom
Tue 2/26 St. Charles, IL Arcada Theatre
Wed 2/27 St. Louis, MO Delmar Hall
Thu 2/28 Dallas, TX Gas Monkey Live
Fri 3/1 Lawrence, KS Granada Theatre
Sat 3/2 Denver, CO Summit Music Hall
Tue 3/5 Seattle, WA The Triple Door
Wed 3/6 Portland, OR Hawthorne Theatre
Thu 3/7 San Francisco, CA Slim's
Fri 3/8 Whittier, CA The Whittier Center Theatre
Sat 3/9 Chandler, AZ Bogle Theatre (Chandler Center For The Arts)

Sun 3/24 London, United Kingdom Islington Assembly Hall
Mon 3/25 Paris, France The Alhambra
Tue 3/26 Tilburg, Netherlands O13
Wed 3/27 Esch /Alzette, Luxembourg Rockhal Esch Sur Alzette
Fri 3/29 Koln, Germany Kantine
Sat 3/30 Copenhagen, Denmark Viften
Sun 3/31 Goteborg, Sweden Stora Teatern
Mon 4/1 Stockholm, Sweden Skandiascenen
Wed 4/3 Berlin, Germany Heimathafen
Thu 4/4 Hamburg, Germany Markthalle
Fri 4/5 Leipzig, Germany Halle d / Werk 2
Sat 4/6 Warsaw, Poland Progresja
Sun 4/7 Brno, Czech Republic SONO Music Club
Tue 4/9 Munich, Germany Technikum
Wed 4/10 Pratteln, Switzerland Z7 Konzertfabrik
Thu 4/11 Lyon, France C.C.O.
Fri 4/12 Trezzo sull'Adda MI, Italy Live Club
Sat 4/13 Barcelona, Spain Salamandra 1
Sun 4/14 Madrid, Spain Sala Mon

www.nealmorseband.com
www.radiantrecords.com

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2944 on: October 15, 2018, 09:31:58 AM »
Already knew this  I am excited!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2945 on: October 15, 2018, 09:54:34 AM »
I think it moved.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2946 on: October 15, 2018, 10:02:15 AM »
 :metal :heart :heart

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2947 on: October 15, 2018, 10:06:02 AM »
I think it moved.

St. Louis. It had to.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2948 on: October 15, 2018, 10:38:19 AM »
Bring it on!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2949 on: October 15, 2018, 11:06:58 AM »
I hope I can get tix for the Seattle show. They go on sale Wednesday at 11am Pacific time. I WISH THEY WOULD GIVE US A LONGER NOTICE of when tix go on sale and not be caught off guard. I will be at work at that time and gotta pay bills first.  The Triple Door in Seattle is a small place and will probably sell out fast..
 I'm still excited, but stressing out at the same time..lol
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 11:18:58 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #2950 on: October 15, 2018, 11:22:41 AM »
Can't. Wait.  Hope the sequel lives up to the original, and I have faith that they can do it.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #2951 on: October 15, 2018, 11:42:34 AM »
Pretty extensive tour with 45 dates in U.S. And Europe. So glad they will be coming again to Keswick Theater which just happens to be about 5 minutes from my house! On a Saturday night ,no less.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2952 on: October 15, 2018, 11:49:30 AM »
Very impressed that the band would challenge themselves to such a degree by creating a sequel to a masterpiece.  Looking forward to seeing what they came up with and can't wait for the Westbury show!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2953 on: October 15, 2018, 11:52:56 AM »
Farewell Sons of Apollo
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2954 on: October 15, 2018, 11:57:21 AM »
Pretty extensive tour with 45 dates in U.S. And Europe. So glad they will be coming again to Keswick Theater which just happens to be about 5 minutes from my house! On a Saturday night ,no less.

Got my Keswick ticket. Can't wait! Also am VERY SHOCKED that the follow up to TSOAD came so early. I thought for sure they'd do at least one "non concept" album, before tackling this again. BRING IT ON! :corn

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2955 on: October 15, 2018, 11:59:05 AM »
Farewell Sons of Apollo

No way! SOA will write and record the next album around NMB tour dates. :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2956 on: October 15, 2018, 12:07:37 PM »
Whoa, another double concept album. It's certainly something to look forward to, knowing Neal's ability to deliver some magical music. I'm sure it will have its share of amazing moments.

The tour dates, however, do nothing for me. Vienna or Budapest would have been awesome, but it would be too expensive to travel any further. I keep my fingers crossed I'll see Neal someday.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2957 on: October 15, 2018, 12:15:15 PM »
This just made my day! I'll be at the Lawrence show!

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2958 on: October 15, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »
Tickets for Stockholm bought.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2959 on: October 15, 2018, 12:24:58 PM »
Wasn't expecting another double concept, but I love that they spent a long time composing this one. The last two albums were ace, so this one ranks high in my most anticipated list.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2960 on: October 15, 2018, 01:05:52 PM »
I wonder what the significance is of the arrow-looking symbol on the new album cover.  It seems o be the only change from the SMOAD album cover.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2961 on: October 15, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »
Tickets were $25 plus service charges on the 2016 tour.

$50 this time for the same seats at the same venue.

And I am more than happy to pay it.  :tup :tup

I think it moved.

St. Louis. It had to.

:hat

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #2962 on: October 16, 2018, 01:54:39 AM »
I hope I can get tix for the Seattle show. They go on sale Wednesday at 11am Pacific time. I WISH THEY WOULD GIVE US A LONGER NOTICE of when tix go on sale and not be caught off guard. I will be at work at that time and gotta pay bills first.  The Triple Door in Seattle is a small place and will probably sell out fast..

I will be refreshing the Triple Door website in the hour leading up to 11AM to get my tickets. If you don't think you'll be able to get yours that morning, let me know where you want to sit (or maybe top 5 seats in case they sell fast), and I'll get it for you. You can PayPal me later.

Seating map:
https://thetripledoor.net/TripleDoor/files/bb/bb3a1814-bd9d-46ee-8436-79605f0a54b7.jpg

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2963 on: October 16, 2018, 02:24:22 AM »
Great news! Two things that excite me:

1. They seem to have taken more time for this album. The announcement said something about around a year. I was hoping they'd do that. Let's see if the result turns out different with this approach.

2. Randy George said something about Sola Scriptura. I would love this direction. Neal Morse CAN write darker, heavier music. I think it was about time he did that again :)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #2964 on: October 16, 2018, 04:23:38 AM »
I'm not surprised on the sequel, as the concept is based on the book "The Pilgrim's Progress" and SOAD covers likely half of the story. But I'm surprised on the sequel being another double album! I'm hoping for recurrent themes from SOAD in TGA, would be amazing.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2965 on: October 16, 2018, 05:07:28 AM »

I will be refreshing the Triple Door website in the hour leading up to 11AM to get my tickets. If you don't think you'll be able to get yours that morning, let me know where you want to sit (or maybe top 5 seats in case they sell fast), and I'll get it for you. You can PayPal me later.

Seating map:
https://thetripledoor.net/TripleDoor/files/bb/bb3a1814-bd9d-46ee-8436-79605f0a54b7.jpg
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2966 on: October 16, 2018, 05:25:54 AM »

Seating map:
Wow thanks!  That would be awesome, I do have a PayPal account.  I was hoping to get two tickets in any of the booths from 10 to 23. (towards the front). I'll PM you Tuesday evening if I decide to go that route, I might not be able to come up with the money until later next week since I have a couple of important bills to pay if that's ok? But I am good for it and will NOT miss this show.
I saw Terry Bozzio two weeks ago there in seats 6 and 7 (front row ) with a friend. It looked like the booths have a bit better view since they are up a little higher.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2967 on: October 16, 2018, 05:36:00 AM »
Nice they're playing at the Ritz on 02/03/19 I should be able to check them out then.
I just realized I bought the Tilburg bluray and still haven't watched it and now there is another bluray release happening next month. Along with the new Opeth and Steven Wilson, it's going to be a fun watch and listen.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2968 on: October 16, 2018, 05:46:28 AM »
Nice they're playing at the Ritz on 02/03/19 I should be able to check them out then.
I just realized I bought the Tilburg bluray and still haven't watched it and now there is another bluray release happening next month. Along with the new Opeth and Steven Wilson, it's going to be a fun watch and listen.
The Tilburg bluray is awesome!  Can't get enough of it..   :tup

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2969 on: October 16, 2018, 06:46:42 AM »
I'm watching it now and it's really good. The video is a bit iffy though I'm not that bothered by it. I'm liking the editing and sound mix on it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2970 on: October 16, 2018, 10:46:10 AM »

1. They seem to have taken more time for this album. The announcement said something about around a year. I was hoping they'd do that. Let's see if the result turns out different with this approach.

2. Randy George said something about Sola Scriptura. I would love this direction. Neal Morse CAN write darker, heavier music. I think it was about time he did that again :)

Sounds like the album was nearly done early this year, with the intention for it to be a 1-disc album that had no concept and nothing to do with Similitude, but when they got together again in August, Neal decided he want to make it a Similitude sequel (of sorts), so they overhauled it and re-wrote most of it.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #2971 on: October 16, 2018, 01:55:54 PM »

Seating map:
Wow thanks!  That would be awesome, I do have a PayPal account.  I was hoping to get two tickets in any of the booths from 10 to 23. (towards the front). I'll PM you Tuesday evening if I decide to go that route, I might not be able to come up with the money until later next week since I have a couple of important bills to pay if that's ok? But I am good for it and will NOT miss this show.
I saw Terry Bozzio two weeks ago there in seats 6 and 7 (front row ) with a friend. It looked like the booths have a bit better view since they are up a little higher.

Let me know if you want me to try and grab them. You can PayPal me later (not tonight), in case I’m not able to get them for some reason. Like if they sell out instantly. Although i don’t see that happening.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2972 on: October 16, 2018, 07:54:26 PM »

Sounds like the album was nearly done early this year, with the intention for it to be a 1-disc album that had no concept and nothing to do with Similitude, but when they got together again in August, Neal decided he want to make it a Similitude sequel (of sorts), so they overhauled it and re-wrote most of it.

So, I'm going back into my old IC Newsletter emails from earlier this year, and seeing what I can find with regards to the making of this album. Here's some interesting bits.

From the January 2018 Newsletter:
I was in a different place than I've been with other albums. I didn't have a really strong feeling about the particular direction we should go.  For awhile, when I was working on demos through 2017, I had felt like a Similitude 2 was what we should do, because I had some inspiration about some particular songs that I thought were very good and were based on the same book.  However, as I worked on my material more through the month of December, I wound up feeling like perhaps it wasn't the right time. The band felt the same way and we wound up doing a really great Prog album. It has a lot of recurring themes throughout, but I'm still not sure what it will be as we haven't written any words and there is a lot of exploring left to do. It's a different album to me. There are some beautiful themes and some very exciting parts; some very good song bits...it's an amazing journey all it's own. 

So even initially speaking through December and leading up to the band arriving, Neal had felt that a sequel to TSOAD was a possibility, but the band decided to just go at it with a clean slate. He also goes on to mention demos brought in by Eric and Bill, and them writing two epics with lengths of 25 and 17 minutes, as well as a ballad like "Shine" (by Transatlantic).

From the August 2018 Newsletter:
Monday morning, we had basically three hours to get the whole end section right because Bill was leaving on Tuesday. Mike was going to cut his drums and he had already started cutting his drums on Disc One. We had these three hours in the morning before Mike showed up to figure this thing out. And I remember thinking, "well... we're not quite there" and I remember looking at the clock and telling Bill, "Bill, we've got 45 minutes to sort this out and it's gotta happen, but I don't know if we're going to make it!" Needless to say, we did make it, Mike tracked his drums, and now we're all putting all are parts on it in our remote studios. Rich is going to start mixing in September and we hope to be done with it in October and release in January. That is the plan! And it looks like it's going to happen...

Looks like between January, the conference call they had in May or June, and the quick sessions in August, the album went from being a single (80 minute) album to a double, at least 90 minutes I imagine. Neal also mentions that the album wasn't finished in January, and that there was more work to do when they reconvened in the summer. It's not that they scrapped what they had, they just had more to add to it.

Now that the album has been revealed, I imagine that Neal will spill all the beans in the upcoming October Newsletter, which should be due out sometime this weekend or early next week. I wonder if the initial epics they wrote became individual tracks, or if this will be more of a Transatlantic-esque concept like Bridge Across Forever, where the shared themes are contained within the epics, or if they divided up the epics into individual tracks.

Either way, I suspect we'll get a double album that reaches 125 minutes with each disc at around 60-65 minutes each, and maybe a total of 22-25 tracks, perhaps with a closing epic. I can't wait to see the details of this album, as I'm sure it'll be contender for AOTY for 2019 (despite forthcoming releases from other favorite bands like Dream Theater and Big Big Train).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 08:15:58 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2973 on: October 16, 2018, 11:48:55 PM »

Seating map:

Let me know if you want me to try and grab them. You can PayPal me later (not tonight), in case I’m not able to get them for some reason. Like if they sell out instantly. Although i don’t see that happening.
Hey thanks so much for the offer.  I found a way to order the tix myself tomorrow. My employer said I could order them at break time.  :tup.  I'm gonna splurge and do it!  Would be cool to meet you in person at the show. Perhaps have a beer. 🍻
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:12:30 AM by Architeuthis »

Offline DTA

« Reply #2974 on: October 17, 2018, 07:48:17 AM »
I hope it's a bunch of shorter tracks like TSOAD and not just a few epics on each disc. Too many epics make it really tough for me to get into for some reason.