Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 545611 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2905 on: September 13, 2018, 01:43:08 AM »

Source - https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Neal-Morse-Band-Morsefest-2017-The-Testimony-of-a-Dream-Blu-ray/214809/#Overview

There's the album cover for the standard editions, though judging by the preview, the limited edition artbook set has a slightly different cover than this one, which makes it more exciting to own! Hopefully I get my order in before those 2000 artbooks sell out!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2906 on: September 13, 2018, 07:14:55 AM »
I have to be honest, this release kind of pisses me off.  I JUST paid for a live presentation of Similitude.  Now Neal wants me to pay for another performance of the same thing a few months later, albeit with the "added bonus" of a live performance of one of his worst albums?  No thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2907 on: September 13, 2018, 07:46:53 AM »
Yeah, going to pass on this for similar reasons. Similtude live is an awesome release, and I don't care for Testimony 2 enough to warrant this as well.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2908 on: September 13, 2018, 08:31:43 AM »
The other release is the one that should irk you. Anyone who follows Neal knows that Morsefest 2017 was getting released and that it was gonna have all of Similtude. That is why I skipped the first one; I don’t need both.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2909 on: September 13, 2018, 09:00:30 AM »
How come no one has thought of using "Similarity of a Dream" as a pun yet?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2910 on: September 13, 2018, 10:19:10 AM »
The other release is the one that should irk you. Anyone who follows Neal knows that Morsefest 2017 was getting released and that it was gonna have all of Similtude. That is why I skipped the first one; I don’t need both.

Fair point.  And to clarify, I guess it isn't necessarily this release that pisses me off so much as just the near-simultaneous releases.  Truth be told, had I been more up on things, I probably would have just waited for the Morsefest release as well.  As much as I love Neal's music and appreciate how prolific he is, he is almost TOO prolific.  And while that may come off as antithetical to my general "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" philosophy on things like this, I just simply can't and don't follow everything he is doing, and it all starts to blur together for me.  He's done so many Morsefests and other things, and released so many live releases that I can't hardly keep track of what he has done, what is on which release, and what is in the pipeline.  Ultimately, in the grand scheme of things, that's probably a good problem to have.  But whether it is or isn't, that's just where I am.

And all that said, as annoyed as I am, I will still likely buy this because Neal Morse is one of my all-time favorite artists.  So I will begrudgingly open my wallet, cursing Neal Morse all the way to the bank.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2911 on: September 13, 2018, 10:28:36 AM »

I ended up getting the first release even though I knew Morsefest was coming. In all honestly I'll probably never watch it again but wanted to support Neal and the band. I'm curious why the released that in the first place.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2912 on: September 13, 2018, 12:19:14 PM »
I disagree, I have TSOAD Live in Tilburg and have watched it several times and it never gets old. Fantastic release!  I'm looking forward to seeing Morsefest 2017 just to see TSOAD performed in a different setting. I'm sure that both performances are unique in their own way and worth having.
 I've never really followed the NMB until Similitude. The other stuff I have heard from him doesn't come anywhere close to this album..

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2913 on: September 13, 2018, 12:49:22 PM »
Live in Tilburg is fantastic, but now I too wish I would have waited. This will be the same thing with choir and brass, and of course all of T2.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2914 on: September 13, 2018, 01:29:32 PM »
I think this release has some other musicians instruments added too. Right?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2915 on: September 13, 2018, 02:48:21 PM »
I think this release has some other musicians instruments added too. Right?

Correct. The Morsefest version, as usual, features a choir, string and brass players, and I think extra percussion, not featured in the regular live version as seen on the Tilburg release. The extra musicians and videos and theatrics are all typical of the Morsefest performances, so it was expected. In addition to all of that being added to TSOAD, Testimony 2 and the other epics played that night also get that treatment, as far I am aware, which should be a treat.

And yeah, from the out set of Morsefest 2017, we all knew that the final performance of TSOAD (at Morsefest) would be released as the definitive live version of the album, so any complaints about getting two live versions of the album should really be mad at the earlier-released Tilburg show, which wasn't always a certainty when the TSOAD tour was happening (as far as I'm aware). But, like most Morse diehards, I bought the Tilburg show anyway as an appetizer for what would eventual come with Morsefest 2017.

Besides, I own the TWO live shows from The Whirlwind Tour, which makes LESS sense to release than two wildly different performances of TSOAD, but that's just what happened. I still question why Transatlantic decided to do that, but whatever...now they're one of the few prog bands with slightly more live albums than studio ones. :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2916 on: September 13, 2018, 05:44:32 PM »

I ended up getting the first release even though I knew Morsefest was coming. In all honestly I'll probably never watch it again but wanted to support Neal and the band. I'm curious why the released that in the first place.

I am all about supporting Neal, but that doesn't mean I am going to buy everything single thing, especially when it feels like double dipping.  Transatlantic releasing two different shows from the Whirlwind tour felt like double dipping as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have this than bands I love never releasing live shows (Radiohead, I am looking at you!!), but when there are so many, it makes them feel less special when they come out.  With Morsefest being an annual thing for the time being, any other releases for now just seem like a bit of overkill.

That said, because I was at Morsefest 2017, this will feel really special to me. :tup :tup

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2918 on: September 13, 2018, 07:36:25 PM »
It seems the deal it’s good for that new release only

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2919 on: September 14, 2018, 06:29:34 AM »
Morsefest is 12 hours away and we will be on the road here in a bit. :coolio

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2920 on: September 14, 2018, 06:34:28 AM »
Enjoy the shows Kev :metal

I'd like to think I'll make it to Morsefest one of these years, but 2015 probably was my best opportunity given how much I like both Sola Scriptura and ?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2921 on: September 14, 2018, 09:20:10 PM »
Setlist from tonight’s Voices of the Beard show:

Where the Streets Have No Name (U2)
Day for Night
Submerged
Goodbye to Yesterday—(Segued into) Lay it Down (acoustic)
Walking on the Moon (the Police)
In Your Eyes (Peter Gabriel)
Birthday (Beatles) - not planned
The Distance to the Sun
There Was a Time
Telling the Bees (Big Big Train)
Carry On Wayward Son (Kansas)
Dust in the Wind (Kansas)
The Doorway
Waste Away

Encore: 

June

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2922 on: September 14, 2018, 10:11:50 PM »
Setlist from tonight’s Voices of the Beard show:

Where the Streets Have No Name (U2)
Day for Night
Submerged
Goodbye to Yesterday—(Segued into) Lay it Down (acoustic)
Walking on the Moon (the Police)
In Your Eyes (Peter Gabriel)
Birthday (Beatles) - not planned
The Distance to the Sun
There Was a Time
Telling the Bees (Big Big Train)
Carry On Wayward Son (Kansas)
Dust in the Wind (Kansas)
The Doorway
Waste Away

Encore: 

June

Some great choices here and there, with some neat covers (though if they were going to cover Kansas, maybe a deeper cut would've been neat). Would LOVE to hear their cover of one of my favorite BBT songs ("Telling The Bees"), and I like that they played two post-Neal SB songs!

Question - was "The Doorway" the full version? It always seems like they tend to cut out the intro or the coda at the end.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2923 on: September 15, 2018, 06:10:58 AM »
The Doorway was played in full. Highlight of the night!  Nick’s teenage nephew came on stage and played the piano intro.

Neal joked that they’d play more newer Spock’s songs, but he’s too lazy to learn them. :lol

The Lay It Down part was only supposed to be a tease, but Neal then decided to play all of it.

Jake Livgren, Kerry’s nephew, was on stage for the Kansas covers and did the lead vocal for Dust in the Wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2924 on: September 15, 2018, 10:41:55 PM »
The Exorcist was great. Some amazing vocal performances throughout. It won’t be one of my favorite Neal records, but its highs were pretty great.

And of course The Great Nothing kicked ass.

Helluva Morsefest!!

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2925 on: September 15, 2018, 11:04:35 PM »
Maybe the best concert I’ve been to. Biggest highlight  for me was Nick.  The song about holes in our hearts was just so great. Can’t wait to hear this again someday.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2926 on: September 16, 2018, 02:26:35 AM »
Maybe the best concert I’ve been to. Biggest highlight  for me was Nick.  The song about holes in our hearts was just so great. Can’t wait to hear this again someday.

I think NDV is a very under appreciated singer! Not only is the guy a monster behind the kit, but also the best singer Spock's Beard ever had in my opinion. I think he could sing a little more with Big Big Train, too.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2927 on: September 16, 2018, 06:08:37 AM »
It won’t be one of my favorite Neal records, but its highs were pretty great.

Is it a typical Neal Morse album or does did he changed it up as far as the signature Neal sound goes?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2928 on: September 16, 2018, 05:10:29 PM »

Wow, that is a bold statement.  No way did this top last year's Morsefest for me, but it was still pretty damn great.

I think NDV is a very under appreciated singer! Not only is the guy a monster behind the kit, but also the best singer Spock's Beard ever had in my opinion. I think he could sing a little more with Big Big Train, too.

Without a doubt.  He has some major pipes.  Every singer Neal got for last night was fantastic. 

It won’t be one of my favorite Neal records, but its highs were pretty great.

Is it a typical Neal Morse album or does did he changed it up as far as the signature Neal sound goes?

It was more wordy than usual, and it rocked a lot more than I thought it would.  The Neal-isms are there, but I definitely didn't think it sounded like "just any Neal record" from a musical standpoint.  The lyrics were a bit much for me at times, but it was still highly enjoyable.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2929 on: September 16, 2018, 06:38:08 PM »
I haven’t been to many concerts I guess lol. The only other Morsefest I’ve been to was the first, and have seen transatlantic twice. All concerts with Neal have been my favorite, so I guess it’s my favorite “Neal” concert. 🤓

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2930 on: September 17, 2018, 01:53:48 PM »
I have been to I think over 100 concerts now and I would say a large majority of them would fall under the "enjoyed the hell out of them, but wouldn't put them in the top tier of concerts I've ever seen."  Both shows this past weekend would fall into that category.

Now, both of last year's Morsefest shows would be in that top tier (along with Pink Floyd, a few Rush shows, the DT show on the Metropolis: 2000 tour in Orlando, Steven Wilson, Muse, Radiohead, Dave Matthews Band and a few others).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2931 on: September 18, 2018, 08:10:43 AM »
https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/711-morsefest-2017-testimony-of-a-dream.aspx

Pre-Orders have been live for about 10-12 minutes now (they were up before 10EST/9CST), but I got mine in fairly quickly, so we'll see if I get my bundle signed. FYI, after shipping, the Artbook + Life & Times Live DVD bundle cost me about $98, so if anyone is going for that, just be prepared!

Also, they've posted a video for "So Far Gone" from Morsefest 2017 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFn4MagrTCM

-Marc.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2932 on: September 18, 2018, 11:46:43 AM »
I balked when I saw the final cost. I think I'll get the bluray and the life and times DVD.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2933 on: September 19, 2018, 09:00:39 AM »
So is Neal going to release a studio version of his rock opera? As a lover of rock opera's/musicals, I am interested in hearing it. Googling it led me to a 2009 inner circle release, is that the same or some early demo? Or something different?

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2934 on: September 19, 2018, 09:17:53 AM »
So is Neal going to release a studio version of his rock opera? As a lover of rock opera's/musicals, I am interested in hearing it. Googling it led me to a 2009 inner circle release, is that the same or some early demo? Or something different?

The 2009 IC release is the original demo version. It's available to everyone for $9.99.

https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/361-inner-circle-cd-jesus-christ-exorcist-march-2009.aspx

He just released an updated demo version for the September 2018 IC release. It's up on the Radiant site for free for everyone as of right now (under New Products).

https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/710-inner-circle-jesus-christ-the-exorcist-demos-september-2018.aspx

He just announced that there are plans on recording and releasing a proper studio version for release next year.

https://web-extract.constantcontact.com/v1/social_annotation?permalink_uri=2CCuQv0&image_url=https%3A%2F%2Fmlsvc01-prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2Feb4de226201%2F28500fa4-e17a-4f57-b33e-956306980a31.jpg%3Fver%3D1536330148000
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2935 on: September 19, 2018, 09:27:07 AM »

The 2009 IC release is the original demo version. It's available to everyone for $9.99.

https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/361-inner-circle-cd-jesus-christ-exorcist-march-2009.aspx

He just released an updated demo version for the September 2018 IC release. It's up on the Radiant site for free for everyone as of right now (under New Products).

https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/710-inner-circle-jesus-christ-the-exorcist-demos-september-2018.aspx

He just announced that there are plans on recording and releasing a proper studio version for release next year.

https://web-extract.constantcontact.com/v1/social_annotation?permalink_uri=2CCuQv0&image_url=https%3A%2F%2Fmlsvc01-prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2Feb4de226201%2F28500fa4-e17a-4f57-b33e-956306980a31.jpg%3Fver%3D1536330148000

Thanks! Very cool, will check out the new demo for sure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2936 on: September 19, 2018, 06:23:13 PM »
The Morsefest 2017 package was not cheap, but I plunked down for the whole ball and wax.  It was an awesome weekend of music and I am more than happy to pay for the whole package. :coolio

I've been listening to the new Exorcist demo the last few days.  It is good and the finished product next year will be even better.

Some tidbits from the shows last weekend that I forgot to mention:

Friday:
-They kicked off the show by covering Where the Streets Have No Name and each member came out one by one.  I cannot remember the order, but NDV came out first and started the drums, and Neal was last.  As each guy came out, they joined in until Neal arrived and all six guys were playing. Very cool.
-Jake Livgren's vocal performance of Dust in the Wind was pretty awesome.
-Some of the crowd kept on singing Waste Away until they came out for the encore and played June. :lol :lol
-Birthday was not on the set list, but after they sang Happy Birthday to a friend in the crowd, Neal jokingly did a few bars of Birthday and then they were like, "Hey, everyone knows it, let's play it!"
-Neal, Nick and Ted doing the opening chorus of Carry On Wayward Son inspired much awe. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Saturday:
-Neal played the talk box with his electric guitar on one song. I had never seen him do that before.
-All of the lyrics were on the screen during the musical as they were sang in real time, with the person listed who was in singing. Very smart move, as it made following the story easy since we know who was singing what instead of trying to guess on the fly.
-Paul Bielatowicz was kinda annoying to watch. Helluva player, but his entire stage presence screamed "LOOK AT ME!!" and not in a good way.
-I always knew Ted Leonard and NDV were great singers, but they took it to a whole new level.  Both sounded amazing, as did every other singer Neal got for the musical.  In fact, I even heard a guy after the show say, "Neal is a great singer and he was probably the worst one there tonight."  :lol :lol  That was a credit to everyone else, not a slight on Neal.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #2937 on: September 24, 2018, 04:08:03 AM »
What was attendance like? The last one I was able to make it to was Snow, and prior to that, attendance always seemed to be around 80%-100% capacity. I was curious about this show as it was for something pretty niche.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2938 on: September 24, 2018, 06:36:17 AM »
Attendance was definitely down from last year, for both nights.  Saturday night was more full than Friday night again, but I was surprised that Friday night's attendance wasn't higher this year. My initial thought was that I hope this kind of drop-off doesn't discourage Neal from doing future Morsefests.  Saturday was a big upward tick, though, so that was nice (from Friday, still seemed down a bit from last year's Saturday). 

Offline DTA

« Reply #2939 on: September 24, 2018, 04:41:42 PM »
Probably because of the content though right? Friday night was advertised as being obviously filled with covers with a few token SB songs (and realistically, everyone knew it would be songs that have seen lots of live play already.) I live too far to attend anyway but I just don’t want to see covers of popular songs when there’s a whole catalog of SB material that should be played instead. Saturday night was a performance of an entirely unknown piece of music, and a “musical” at that which is an immediate turn-off for me, and I imagine other fans feel similarly. I think Morsefest is an awesome idea but enough with the covers already. Play music you’ve written as that’s what everyone really wants to see.