Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539633 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2695 on: April 14, 2018, 10:25:48 AM »
Great show last night!

For the first time ever, a request of mine was played at a show!  Neal asked for a request at one point and I immediately shouted out twice, "Emma!"  And then he played it.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Plus, we got The Doorway and Open Wide the Flood Gates!  And lots of random cool covers thrown in.  When he sang the word 'yellow' in Selfie in the Square, he joked that he can't not sing it in a British tone and then launched into several random songs with the word 'yellow' in them like playing quite a bit of I Am the Walrus, some of Yellow Submarine and a few others.  At one point, he even played the first verse of The Who's Bargain with just him singing and playing the piano furiously.

I knew he was doing looping on this tour, but I didn't realize how extensive it was.  His looping on both Thoughts and Thoughts II was pretty crazy.

And then we all met Neal after the show and got pics taken.  Classy individual through and through. :coolio :hat

Set list: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neal-morse/2018/duck-room-at-blueberry-hill-st-louis-mo-3bece8e4.html

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2696 on: April 14, 2018, 05:46:30 PM »
I put this in the picture thread, but I will put it here, too: the pic I got with Neal after the show (he sat at the merch stand and let every single fan say hi, talk and take a pic).

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2697 on: April 15, 2018, 07:36:11 PM »
Ticket to Morsefest bought!  Second night only.  I've only been to the first Morsefest before.  That was a no-brainer for me, didn't go the other years because of the travel distance.  But I'm intrigued enough by the musical that I convinced myself to take a vacation to Nashville for it.  Can't....  wait....  Only one night because I'm doing a short family vacation around it (and I'm the only one doing the concert thing).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2698 on: April 18, 2018, 09:29:47 PM »
From our show Friday, this is pretty cool how Neal loops his voice to do all of the Thoughts voices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz7Z8ogcYjA

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2699 on: April 18, 2018, 10:01:18 PM »
From our show Friday, this is pretty cool how Neal loops his voice to do all of the Thoughts voices:

Neal is a genius :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2700 on: April 18, 2018, 11:08:30 PM »

Neal is a genius :hefdaddy

Soo much looking forward to June 5th..... Neal in Stockholm, Sweden

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2701 on: April 19, 2018, 07:34:49 PM »
Neal playing The Doorway a lot lately has me hopeful that he has "rediscovered" it and it gets played on the Spock's night of Morsefest this year. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2702 on: April 24, 2018, 03:41:07 PM »
https://youtu.be/TwRQIwWid38

Promo for TSOAD Live in Tilburg

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2703 on: April 24, 2018, 03:48:12 PM »
Automatic purchase.  Wow, that looks good!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2704 on: April 24, 2018, 03:54:57 PM »
Damn, June is officially live release Fridays month.

June 15, Neal Morse, June 22, Haken, and June 29, Fates Warning.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2705 on: April 24, 2018, 04:31:26 PM »
Fantastic!! Auto buy!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2706 on: April 24, 2018, 05:38:45 PM »
Neal is usually a "shut up and take my money" artist, but this tendency to release multiple live albums from the same tour is...strange. They did it with The Whirlwind tour and now they are doing it with this one (since Morsefest '17 will feature all of Similitude). 

That said, I am sure this will kick ass and I will get it, but I fear that it will be one of those live DVDs I never revisit once the Morsefest release comes out.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2707 on: April 24, 2018, 11:49:56 PM »
See DT? That's how you should do it. You write a gigantic epos, you release a live DVD for it.

I'll definitely buy this, but not one the release date. This spring/summer is getting a little expensive (Haken, The Sea Within, Spock's Beard) :D
any rock can be made to roll

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2708 on: April 25, 2018, 07:09:14 AM »
Neal is usually a "shut up and take my money" artist, but this tendency to release multiple live albums from the same tour is...strange. They did it with The Whirlwind tour and now they are doing it with this one (since Morsefest '17 will feature all of Similitude). 

That said, I am sure this will kick ass and I will get it, but I fear that it will be one of those live DVDs I never revisit once the Morsefest release comes out.

That's my concern as well but I'll probably end up getting it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2709 on: April 25, 2018, 08:12:00 AM »
Ordered! Not sure if I'll get a signed one, but I won't be too bothered if I don't. At this point in my life, I've got his signature on about 2 dozen things lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2710 on: April 25, 2018, 08:12:35 AM »
Ordered! Not sure if I'll get a signed one, but I won't be too bothered if I don't. At this point in my life, I've got his signature on about 2 dozen things lol

-Marc.

Yeah I didn't bother to even order it from Radiant this go. I just ordered up on Amazon.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2711 on: April 25, 2018, 08:15:34 AM »

-Marc.

No kidding!  I think I may have seen Neal's signature more than my own at this point.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2712 on: April 25, 2018, 08:19:46 AM »
So am I missing something or do you only get CDs with the DVD version? I'd rather Blu Ray for video but I also want to be able to throw the live tracks onto my computer...
Photobucket sucks.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2713 on: April 25, 2018, 08:23:03 AM »
So am I missing something or do you only get CDs with the DVD version? I'd rather Blu Ray for video but I also want to be able to throw the live tracks onto my computer...

Only CDs with the DVDs and standalone bluray formats available. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2714 on: April 25, 2018, 08:23:59 AM »
That's... really annoying :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2715 on: April 25, 2018, 08:42:17 AM »
That's... really annoying :lol

It is to be honest, however, Neal has usually released his stuff like this previously.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2717 on: April 25, 2018, 10:07:51 AM »

Yes it's highly annoying you can't get the CDs with the BluRays.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2718 on: April 25, 2018, 10:36:45 AM »

Yes it's highly annoying you can't get the CDs with the BluRays.

Or that they at least don't offer a download code with the blu-ray.

I will of course be getting the blu-ray. I will get the audio... elsewhere.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2719 on: April 25, 2018, 11:30:24 AM »

I will of course be getting the blu-ray. I will get the audio... elsewhere.

Pretty much

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2720 on: April 25, 2018, 01:01:35 PM »
Kinda sucks I have to pay $60 for both the Blu Ray and CD's but screw it...  DONE!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2721 on: April 25, 2018, 01:25:02 PM »
Kinda sucks I have to pay $60 for both the Blu Ray and CD's but screw it...  DONE!

I'm sure Radiant will blow out the CD/DVD combo at some point down the road and I may pick it up around then.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2722 on: April 25, 2018, 03:23:39 PM »
I went with the 2CD/2DVD set because, even if it looks great in HD on the BDs, I will probably only watch the concert a couple of times, whereas I'll probably listen to the album many times on CD. And having the CDs makes it easier to make copies and have the lossless files ripped to my harddrive (rather than hunting them down online...somewhere).

If the BD ever goes on sale, I may pick it up. Radiant tends to have sales every other month or so, so if it gets cheap, I'll snag it then.

-Marc.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2723 on: April 26, 2018, 06:49:36 AM »
Pre-ordered the blu-ray on amazon. I have lost all interest in live albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2724 on: April 26, 2018, 05:44:13 PM »
Same here.  I will watch a live DVD/Blu-ray, but if I want to simply listen to Similitude, why would I listen to the live album when I can listen to the studio recording (which is better like 99.99999999% of the time)?

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2725 on: April 27, 2018, 11:52:32 AM »
Anyone willing to do a review of the Tilburg show? (AUDIO ONLY)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2726 on: April 27, 2018, 07:41:09 PM »

I'd rather have the live releases than the studio releases myself.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2727 on: April 27, 2018, 07:43:43 PM »
2CD/DVD is perfect.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2728 on: April 27, 2018, 07:59:14 PM »
Anyone willing to do a review of the Tilburg show? (AUDIO ONLY)
Clean mix, there is plenty of room for the mix to breathe. It is not compressed to death. Eric did a very nice mix.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2729 on: April 27, 2018, 08:13:08 PM »

I'd rather have the live releases than the studio releases myself.

I like both, to be honest. The polish that a studio performance has appeals to the side of me that enjoys a clean and flawless performance, but the raw and live feel of a concert performance can bring out some unique qualities of the music being performed, and sometimes the music can be taken to higher heights, and not just because of extended jams/solos or things like that.

As for getting TWO versions of TSOAD live...well, I don't mind that too much. Wasn't the Morsefest 2017 version augmented with additional musicians (like brass, strings, choirs, etc.)? If so, the whole performance will be different enough to warrant a second release, whereas with More Never Is Enough, there wasn't much difference IMO. I almost never listen to it and prefer the Whirld Tour 2010 release by far.

-Marc.