Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 547535 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2625 on: February 24, 2018, 09:20:03 AM »
Great additions! 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2626 on: February 25, 2018, 07:55:28 AM »
I ended up liking Life & times quite a bit. It's clear to me that some people might find a mellow album like this boring, but to a person like me that grew to love Neal's kind and humble spirit, this album is such a pleasure. Truly a wonderful listening experience, especially on a weekend. The three singles ended up being my favorites, despite me not being too impressed by them at first. Also, If I only had a day is a gorgeous closer.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2627 on: February 25, 2018, 08:06:14 AM »
Same here.  It has been an ugly week here in St Louis, with a lot of rain and gloominess, but I just know Life & Times will be a really good spring day record. Just need some better weather to prove this theory true. :biggrin:

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2628 on: February 25, 2018, 08:11:25 AM »
Part of me really wanted to catch Neal's show in NYC Friday night, but I had other plans. Seeing the setlist definitely made me feel a little better as it's one of my least favorites as far as stuff he played from outside the new album. Do mean to grab the new album soon though and give it a spin.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2629 on: February 25, 2018, 03:29:32 PM »
Saw the show at Cutting Room NYC last night. Wonderful show. Neal is just so talented (no surprise) but humble and down to earth you can't help but love the guy. He did a couple of songs he hasn't done on this tour, We All Need Some Light, Daddy's Daughter (a request, of course he was bawling by the end) and ELP's In The Beginning. He also did The Doorway, not the whole thing but enough to make me happy. Hell, he could just play the piano intro and I would be happy.

Show lasted about 1.5 hours and goes by quickly. What an artist.

Would have liked to have had that set instead of the Snow songs we ended up with but it was still a pretty good show.

I wouldn't mind seeing him do this more often without a band.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2630 on: February 25, 2018, 03:37:15 PM »
I ended up liking Life & times quite a bit. It's clear to me that some people might find a mellow album like this boring, but to a person like me that grew to love Neal's kind and humble spirit, this album is such a pleasure. Truly a wonderful listening experience, especially on a weekend. The three singles ended up being my favorites, despite me not being too impressed by them at first. Also, If I only had a day is a gorgeous closer.

I didn't hear a note of the new album before I saw him last night and I thought it came across very well.

I'm kind of glad he played so much of the new album as I wasn't expecting it  Listened to the album a few times today.  (Bought it at the show and asked him to sign it.) It's a pretty good Sunday chill album.

I also think it's the only show I've ever been to that NOBODY left as soon as the show was over. Everyone lined up for the meet and greet. I don't think I saw anyone leave.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2631 on: February 28, 2018, 12:36:23 PM »
Has anyone read his autobiography Testimony? It's only $10 on his site and I trying to decide between the physical copy or the audio version with Neal reading it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2632 on: February 28, 2018, 01:02:14 PM »
With all due respect to Neal, who is on my Mount Rushmore of favorite musicians ever, I wouldn't have a lot of interest in reading the book.  I totally respect his beliefs and his story, but I don't think I'd enjoy reading the book given the subject matter. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2633 on: February 28, 2018, 01:12:58 PM »
Has anyone read his autobiography Testimony? It's only $10 on his site and I trying to decide between the physical copy or the audio version with Neal reading it.

I have. I liked it, but it's essentially the same story he tells through his music. It's an easy read though....you'd finish it in no time.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #2634 on: February 28, 2018, 01:41:44 PM »
Me either.  and i enjoy the album Testimony.  Testimony 2 a little more.  but i really don't need it in writing as it were, lol

Mick

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2635 on: February 28, 2018, 01:42:13 PM »
Haven't read it, but the description of the audio book is interesting. Says he tells you the whole story while he plays parts from his music. I mean, at $10 for a 6 hour audio book, seems like it's not that big of an investment for either your time or money, so I'd go with that.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2636 on: February 28, 2018, 02:34:14 PM »

I have. I liked it, but it's essentially the same story he tells through his music. It's an easy read though....you'd finish it in no time.

This.  I enjoyed it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DT2003

« Reply #2637 on: February 28, 2018, 05:23:15 PM »
You could also get an audiobook version of it with Neal reading it. I have that as well as the real book. It’s definitely worth reading/listening to if you’re a fan of Neal.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2638 on: March 01, 2018, 08:02:16 AM »
Didn't see this posted here but it's the song Neal wrote after the Parkland shooting. Blows my mind that Neal is not more well known. Such a beautiful song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh3ECjn404s

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2639 on: March 01, 2018, 08:34:16 AM »
Didn't see this posted here but it's the song Neal wrote after the Parkland shooting. Blows my mind that Neal is not more well known. Such a beautiful song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh3ECjn404s

Great song, thanks for sharing.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2640 on: March 01, 2018, 01:46:50 PM »
Yeah, he debuted that at the Sellersville show, quite a moving piece.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2641 on: March 01, 2018, 05:48:48 PM »
Actually, he debuted it on YT the day after the FL shooting.  Like He Died at Home, it's such a heavy song that it will be hard to become one I listen to that often.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2642 on: March 02, 2018, 07:28:38 AM »
Sorry, I thought it was implied I meant that it was debuted live at the Sellersville show. First time on stage, if you will.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2643 on: March 02, 2018, 11:02:10 AM »
I just found out that the Morsefest 2016 STORYTELLERS concert will be available for Inner Circle Members. It will be released in two parts, both audio and video, with the first part being released this month for anyone who is a member.

Just FYI, in case anyone was waiting for this.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2644 on: March 04, 2018, 10:04:58 AM »
Yeah, he debuted that at the Sellersville show, quite a moving piece.

Played it in Asbury Park last weekend too. Definitely a highlight.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2645 on: March 04, 2018, 10:17:38 AM »
Sorry, I thought it was implied I meant that it was debuted live at the Sellersville show. First time on stage, if you will.

:tup :tup

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2646 on: March 05, 2018, 03:17:30 AM »
https://podsodcast.com/2018/03/01/pte5/

Neal Morse picks his favorite Genesis songs. Quite interesting what he's saying here :)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2647 on: March 06, 2018, 07:36:29 PM »
No way am I going to listen to all 100 minutes of that...what songs did he pick?

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2648 on: March 06, 2018, 07:50:59 PM »
Big Neal Morse fan here, lurker of DT forums but seldom poster.

Still on the fence on getting Life and Times.  I suppose I'll get it some day most likely.  While a huge fan of the prog stuff, just don't love the non-prog stuff.  Well, I like his non-prog stuff in general but can't get into some of the albums. 

His first solo album I really like actually  (hell, "Lost Cause" is my on and off theme song!).  It's Not Too Late I have but don't know that I ever listened to all the way through.  Songs From November  - I really like a song or two but as far as the entire album probably only listened through once.  So...  having not been overly impressed with the released singles passed on the new album.  For now at least...  Maybe some random week where I've worked a bunch of overtime I'll say "what the heck" and just buy it.  Side note - I really dug the album "God Won't Give Up" which isn't prog...  So I'm not just prog snobby.

There was discussion (I think?) about his book a few pages (? guessing) back.  I highly recommend the Testimony audio book!  I have the book and audio book.  But if I could only have one, I'd choose the audio.  Hearing Neal read it def adds value to it.  I was going through old computer files and ran across it (which is what prompted me to come here and post in the Neal thread).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2649 on: March 07, 2018, 03:38:37 AM »
If I remember correctly, he picked
- Dance On A Volcano
- Firth Of Fifth
- Supper's Ready
- Dancing With The Moonlit Knight
- Squonk
- The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
- Fly On A Windshield

Not sure if there were more..
So no real surprise here, basically just the classics :D He said he doesn't dislike the later stuff by them, but they did not influence him the way the early stuff did. Also he mentioned, sometimes he finds himself writing a song and realizing that this had already been done by Genesis. And sometimes he finds himself realizing that HE had already written something similar. So, interesting comments apart from the actual list.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2650 on: March 07, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »
I ended up listening once I realized that the chatter part of it was pretty short (seems like 3/4 of the 1:40 was them playing the songs, which were easy to skip over).  Kinda funny that Neal didn't even know the name of Dancing with the Moonlit Knight (he called it "Selling England by the Pound").  He can probably play it on command, though, so he is forgiven. :lol :coolio

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2651 on: March 07, 2018, 06:57:36 PM »
If I remember correctly, he picked
- Dance On A Volcano
- Firth Of Fifth
- Supper's Ready
- Dancing With The Moonlit Knight
- Squonk
- The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
- Fly On A Windshield

Not sure if there were more..
So no real surprise here, basically just the classics :D He said he doesn't dislike the later stuff by them, but they did not influence him the way the early stuff did. Also he mentioned, sometimes he finds himself writing a song and realizing that this had already been done by Genesis. And sometimes he finds himself realizing that HE had already written something similar. So, interesting comments apart from the actual list.

No mention of "The Return Of The Giant Hogweed" or "Watcher Of The Skies", two songs he's covered with Transatlantic (well, WOTS was just the intro). That's a surprise, but the rest of the song choices are pretty typical of the average Gabriel-Era fan, though it's nice to see "Dance On A Volcano" and "Squonk". I'd love to hear him cover more of the 4-man Genesis songs!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2652 on: March 07, 2018, 07:09:08 PM »
Watcher of the Skies was one of his picks.  I am not sure he ever really picked four songs from the Lamb, so much as he mentioned a bunch he liked and then the podcast suddenly would play them.  Neal was pretty much spitballing his choices off the top of his head.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2653 on: March 14, 2018, 08:46:09 PM »
Looks like the Morsefest announcement is coming tomorrow morning at 9 am CST.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2654 on: March 15, 2018, 08:09:17 AM »
https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/702-morsefest-2018.aspx

MORSEFEST 2018 with Neal Morse and special guests! Performing "Voices of the Beard - Storytellers Part 2" and "Jesus Christ - The Exorcist."September 14-15 in Cross Plains, TN.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2655 on: March 15, 2018, 08:13:54 AM »
Anyone catch that Eric is listed as being on drums?  Interesting. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2656 on: March 15, 2018, 08:26:17 AM »

I just saw that as well.  Very cool!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2657 on: March 15, 2018, 09:18:52 AM »

Especially when you have Nick D'Virgilio as a guest.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2658 on: March 15, 2018, 09:24:16 AM »

I've watched/listened to a lot of his drumming....he's really good.

Sadly for me though....that line up and billing isn't enough to entice me to attend.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2659 on: March 15, 2018, 10:34:46 AM »
Nice! Was hoping that musical would eventually see the light of day. Heard partial demo on an inner circle cd years back and thought it had potential. I’d love to go ( but probably won’t because of distance).