Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 546482 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2590 on: February 13, 2018, 05:45:59 PM »
I don't see the point in continuously asking him about Transatlantic. He even recently said that they have no current plans to do anything, so why have him answer it again?  Seems like a waste of a question. He has a solo album coming out this week and the NMB is working on for later this year, so why not focus on what he is actually doing right now? 

Yeah this type of question always bugged me when musicians would do fan q&a type stuff. Inevitably, 90% Of The questions would be stuff like “when are you coming to (insert country)? “ They’ll announce when they’re coming there! It’s not like they want to keep it a secret. When there’s news, it’ll be released. Why not ask questions that nobody has asked before?

Exactly!!

-Any plans of ever doing a MorseFest out of USA? Let’s say Europe, South America?

I would be stunned if he ever did a Morsefest anywhere else other than his church he has had it at every year.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2591 on: February 13, 2018, 09:11:46 PM »
I have twelve questions for NM. Thanks everyone! We´ll post it here once it´s published.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #2593 on: February 16, 2018, 06:05:57 PM »
Very cool interview. Thanks for posting it and thanks for the interview RodrigoAltaf.

Some really good questions. Some I have always wondered, like how him and Mike click so well with such different personalities and some great questions that I had never thought of before like how to choose which band a song belongs in when he gets inspired. I just got Life and Times today and can’t wait to listen!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2594 on: February 16, 2018, 06:08:55 PM »
Thanks man! All the comments and suggestions mean a lot!!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2595 on: February 16, 2018, 06:37:47 PM »
Great interview! Neal is such a nice person to talk to, love the way he answers the questions.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2596 on: February 16, 2018, 06:57:30 PM »
Good interview. :tup :tup

Everyone else hear the song he wrote yesterday about the FL tragedy and put on YT?  Pretty heavy.

I've only listened to Life & Times once, but it sounds nice.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2597 on: February 16, 2018, 07:03:30 PM »
Great interview! Neal is such a nice person to talk to, love the way he answers the questions.

He was SO COOL!!! And hey, I included the questions everyone posted here...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2598 on: February 17, 2018, 09:20:22 PM »
Anyone else listening to the new album?  It is really growing on me.  At first, it was like, this is nice, but the lack of wow prog factor is glaring, but the more I listen to it, the more I am liking it.  This will be a really good album to listen to on a sunny spring day. :coolio

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2599 on: February 17, 2018, 10:01:20 PM »
Anyone else listening to the new album?  It is really growing on me.  At first, it was like, this is nice, but the lack of wow prog factor is glaring, but the more I listen to it, the more I am liking it.  This will be a really good album to listen to on a sunny spring day. :coolio

Totally slipped my mind. I will be getting it next week. For some reason I thought the release was later.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2600 on: February 18, 2018, 12:35:53 AM »
Is it basically another Songs From November? Everything I'm seeing from the album art to the tracklisting to the "not prog" description is giving me that vibe.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2601 on: February 18, 2018, 07:36:46 AM »
Not really.  I am getting a different vibe from the new album than I got from Songs from November.

Set list from Nashville last night:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neal-morse/2018/the-foundry-nashville-tn-bee111a.html

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2602 on: February 18, 2018, 09:10:39 AM »
I'll probably give it a spin tonight, I'm looking forward to it quite a bit. I'm in such a blissful mood that a calm, mellow, good-spirited Neal Morse album might be perfect for me right now.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2603 on: February 18, 2018, 09:17:39 AM »
I'll probably give it a spin tonight, I'm looking forward to it quite a bit. I'm in such a blissful mood that a calm, mellow, good-spirited Neal Morse album might be perfect for me right now.

It is a very soothing, feel good kind of album, except for "He Died at Home". But the overall feeling after listening to the album is great.

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #2604 on: February 18, 2018, 09:26:03 AM »
I bought the new album yesterday. If you like plain, vanilla basic songs with literal, feel good lyrics (except a couple) this is the album for you. I counted one interesting chord change in the whole album (Joanna). It's a kind of Sunday morning reading the newspaper and having a bagel type of music. It's shocking that someone who is so great can make an album (albums, Songs From November was pretty bland too) so dull. If it was someone other than NM, pretty sure I wouldn't listen to it at all.

One piano song on the whole album. Neal is a talented keyboard player and I wish he would play more keys. He played The Doorway last night? Wow, hope he brings that one out this week!

Sorry Neal, I love you and think you are one of the most talented songwriters out there, but after I see you in concert this Friday, this album will be going on the pile, and I'm guessing will hardly be played again.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #2605 on: February 18, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »
I actually really enjoyed this as a change of pace.

yea i'll play this a bit.  Nice break from the neal prog bombast (which i love BTW)

it won't be my fav Morse album but i enjoy it for what it is.

Mick

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2606 on: February 18, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »
I agree with that.

He released a 3rd video from the album, for the song JoAnna, which is one I am finding pretty uninteresting so far. 

Despite the somewhat-prominent country vibe, I like Old Alabama a lot.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #2607 on: February 18, 2018, 09:53:11 AM »
You know this is kinda like Neal's first couple solo records.

shorter pop tunes.

but very pleasing it a laid back way.

Mick

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2608 on: February 19, 2018, 07:33:22 AM »
I agree with that.

He released a 3rd video from the album, for the song JoAnna, which is one I am finding pretty uninteresting so far. 

Despite the somewhat-prominent country vibe, I like Old Alabama a lot.

Lol, JoAnna is easily my favorite song on the album. Overall it's a pretty solid non-prog Neal Morse Album. There are a few songs I didn't care for but a nice listen.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2609 on: February 19, 2018, 08:52:57 AM »
I bought the CD to Support Neal. However, this 'style' is not really my cup of tea. It's certainly good....not gonna trash it, but I'm more of a Prog Neal lover than this style.

He's coming through St. Louis and I'm on the Fence as to whether I'm going to go or not. I probably will to again, support him, but I'll give this another few spins to see if it clicks more.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2610 on: February 19, 2018, 06:37:32 PM »
To me, it's a nice little appetizer before the next Neal Morse Band album.  It really isn't like his first two solo albums at all, and the vibe is different from Songs from November.  A lot of the songs on this one have that "sitting around the campfire playing songs on the acoustic" feel to them.  Like I told a friend the other day, the wow factor is non-existent on this, but it's still a nice little record, if not notable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2611 on: February 19, 2018, 07:22:08 PM »

Lol, JoAnna is easily my favorite song on the album. 

Oddly, it sounded a lot better when I listened to it earlier today.  It's still early, so trying to get a handle on all of the songs.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2612 on: February 20, 2018, 10:03:06 AM »
I bought the vinyl today but won’t be able to listen to it until Monday. But wow, the label really put a lot of effort into the packaging this time...

Not
any rock can be made to roll

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2613 on: February 21, 2018, 06:37:21 AM »
SPOILERS FROM BOSTON SETLIST

Songs of Freedom
Agenda
Livin' Lightly
Bridge Across Forever
(What if it was Your Child?)*
Good Love is on the Way**
Selfie in the Square
Jailbreak
(The Doorway)*
The Door: VI. Upon the Door (w/ Paul Bielatowicz on Guitar Solo)***
Manchester
He Died at Home
Everything is Alright With Me**
There Is Nothin' That God Can't Change
Medley: So Far Gone/It's All I Can Do/Broken Sky/Stranger in Your Soul

*On Stage Setlist, But Not Played
**Not on Stage Setlist But Played
***Song written as "Paul Guest" on Stage Setlist
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:50:19 AM by OpenYourEyes311 »
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2614 on: February 21, 2018, 05:06:42 PM »
Not surprised to see quite a few songs from the new album on the first two set lists, but I am not going to lie: it is disappointing to see nothing from his self-titled solo album, It's Not Too Late or Songs from November.  With rare exceptions, songs from those never get featured on his prog tours, and many of them would be a natural fit on a tour like this.  I know the show I see in two months will be one I enjoy the hell out of, but come on Neal, dig a little deeper!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2615 on: February 21, 2018, 06:35:38 PM »
Not surprised to see quite a few songs from the new album on the first two set lists, but I am not going to lie: it is disappointing to see nothing from his self-titled solo album, It's Not Too Late or Songs from November.  With rare exceptions, songs from those never get featured on his prog tours, and many of them would be a natural fit on a tour like this.  I know the show I see in two months will be one I enjoy the hell out of, but come on Neal, dig a little deeper!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

That is a shame, but maybe tweet at him and suggest it? I'm sure he'd be open to it if he had enough time to learn the songs. I know I'd love to hear tracks like "Emma" live, but perhaps it's just being able to play what he knows, and songs from recent releases tend to be included in shows like these where it's not a huge production of a major prog rock act. I think he's just trying to take it easy for once on a tour that is built around easier material.

Either way, I suspect we may get a live album from the Inner Circle from this tour as I doubt his fanbase is wide enough to warrant a major live release of this type of music from him, but I'd love to be surprised!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2616 on: February 21, 2018, 06:41:23 PM »
I actually did tweet at him about a month ago asking him to please play Emma on this tour, but Shmev is part of my user name on twitter, and Portnoy probably told him that that Shmev guy is a jerk, so he'll likely ignore my request. :lol :lol

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2617 on: February 22, 2018, 09:03:52 AM »
So I was at the show in Boston, and for anyone on the fence about going, my advice is to GO! Neal is just having fun this tour it seems. He has a running commentary on many of the songs which is pretty hilarious. He had people laughing and singing along all night. And yeah, the setlist isn't the BEST, but the new songs work really well live, and I honestly didn't notice anything missing until AFTER the show. Sure, I would have loved some Emma, June, We All Need Some Light, Shine, or anything Flying Colors (all songs I haven't seen), but he puts on a fun show.

The only negative thing I'll say about the performance is I wish it was all on acoustic guitar. While I was very excited to hear Bridge Across Forever and The Door, in a small setting like that, the keyboard songs didn't really work for me. I would have rather him stay on acoustic all night.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #2618 on: February 22, 2018, 12:32:49 PM »
Thanks openyoureyes, I was wondering about the instrumentation. I'm a guy who loves Neal on piano so I won't mind that. Is there any percussion?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2619 on: February 22, 2018, 06:23:55 PM »
So I was at the show in Boston, and for anyone on the fence about going, my advice is to GO! Neal is just having fun this tour it seems. He has a running commentary on many of the songs which is pretty hilarious. He had people laughing and singing along all night. And yeah, the setlist isn't the BEST, but the new songs work really well live, and I honestly didn't notice anything missing until AFTER the show. Sure, I would have loved some Emma, June, We All Need Some Light, Shine, or anything Flying Colors (all songs I haven't seen), but he puts on a fun show.

Yep, I have no doubt that the show I go to will be great and I will have a blast. I was just being a grouchy fan picking nits before. :P :lol

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2620 on: February 22, 2018, 09:02:45 PM »
Thanks openyoureyes, I was wondering about the instrumentation. I'm a guy who loves Neal on piano so I won't mind that. Is there any percussion?

He uses a shaker, his guitar, his voice, and a looper to create some percussion/beats on a few songs
WELP.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2621 on: February 22, 2018, 09:38:48 PM »
Bought tickets on row 1 for his show in Stockholm on the 6th of June.
Nice cozy old theater... will be nice

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #2622 on: February 23, 2018, 09:10:58 AM »
I see that MP joined Neal last night in Sellersville for Rose Colored Glasses! I wonder who'll be guesting tonight?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2623 on: February 23, 2018, 08:02:11 PM »
Hopefully, he will make Rose Covered Glasses a mainstay on this tour. 

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #2624 on: February 24, 2018, 09:15:03 AM »
Saw the show at Cutting Room NYC last night. Wonderful show. Neal is just so talented (no surprise) but humble and down to earth you can't help but love the guy. He did a couple of songs he hasn't done on this tour, We All Need Some Light, Daddy's Daughter (a request, of course he was bawling by the end) and ELP's In The Beginning. He also did The Doorway, not the whole thing but enough to make me happy. Hell, he could just play the piano intro and I would be happy.

Show lasted about 1.5 hours and goes by quickly. What an artist.