Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 538031 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2345 on: April 13, 2017, 05:39:27 PM »
So... I recently just got turned on to Neal Morse.  Yeah, I've heard of him and heard his name in different circles, but have never listened to his music until now.  Similitude of a Dream is the first thing I've listened to from him, and is just an outstanding piece of work.  I heard the new DVD was coming out and went ahead and ordered it.   Normally I wouldn't purchase a live performance without "Knowing" the material.  I decided to roll the dice here and was NOT disappointed. The 2015 Morsefest is just incredible.  Especially, for me, the 2nd disc.  The Door...and The Conflict...  WOW!  The rest of disc 2 is spectacular also.  What I didn't know...being new to Neal, is that he is a Christian.  Watching this DVD... and realizing that fact has just added to the experience for me. Next download... Sola Scriptura....

Nice. :tup :tup

Although there might be more red tape involved because of Spock's Beard and NM releasing something together.

I'd be shocked if that were the case.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2346 on: April 14, 2017, 01:01:08 AM »
Yeah, I don't guess it will cause problems between the band and Neal, but possibly between Radiant and Inside Out, I mean who's gonna be in charge of an album by a band, on a night organised by the ex frontman, with ex-members?
I guess though that Neal still owns Snow's music, so he'd just need an 'ok' from the band to release it. (After making some financial agreements, of course)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2347 on: April 14, 2017, 05:05:32 AM »
The Stranger in your soul performance on Morsefest 14 is one of the most energetic and entertaining performance I've ever seen of a live song, the section with the instrument switch is hilarious. Eric Gillette's drumming is really good on it. Alive Again arrives today and just in time as well.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2348 on: April 16, 2017, 09:55:51 AM »
I never understood the love for Snow. I think it's in the bottom 3 of Neal's albums between his solo/band prog albums and Spock's Beard. It might be his worst, I have no desire to hear it ever again.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #2349 on: April 16, 2017, 12:28:21 PM »
I never understood the love for Snow. I think it's in the bottom 3 of Neal's albums between his solo/band prog albums and Spock's Beard. It might be his worst, I have no desire to hear it ever again.

i hear ya.  it's got some tunes i enjoy.  but it's just bloated and not really interesting

Disc 2 is basically one big reprise, lol

morsefest 2016 is not exciting to me because of Snow.

Mick

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2350 on: April 16, 2017, 06:52:44 PM »
I still like Snow a lot, but I almost never listen to it because a) it is sooooooo long, and b) Neal has quite a few albums I like more.  I think the first three TA albums, both NMB albums, at least two of his solo albums and one or two (at least) of his other albums with Spock's, are all better.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2351 on: April 17, 2017, 09:13:35 AM »
I had not been aware that NMB was doing another round of North America shows. Ticket for NYC acquired :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2352 on: April 17, 2017, 07:22:33 PM »
I had not been aware that NMB was doing another round of North America shows. Ticket for NYC acquired :hat

No west coast dates so far :(

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2353 on: April 17, 2017, 10:53:27 PM »
Re: Snow - I consider Snow to be one of my all-time favorite SB albums, although I'm not sure if it's my ABSOLUTE favorite at this point in my life. It was for the longest time, but I think I've mellowed out on it a bit in recent years, though I think the 2 performances of it may have livened up my love for the album. I guess I am an odd-one-out as far as SB fans, since I don't see many ranking Snow that highly, or perhaps it's just here at DTF, but I love it, front ot back. I love the reprises on disc 2, I love the songs and Neal's singing, the whole band's performances are on fire, and I must have watched the Making Of Snow DVD at least a couple dozen times by now.

Re: Morsefest 2016 - I think I am even MORE excited for this one BECAUSE of Snow. I've watched the European performance of Snow that is on YouTube, which is recorded fairly well for an audience multi-cam (I think it was, at least). Despite a few hiccups, they did really well for performing the whole thing a second time as a 7-man unit. I hope the Morsefest performance was a bit tighter, but I don't recall any attendees saying it wasn't. I like that it wasn't Neal and Nick signing, and that they got Ted and Jimmy to do lead on some songs as well. I'm just excited to (eventually) own a full live performance of one of my all-time favorite albums, and the encore is the perfect icing on the Snow-cake. I really love "Falling For Forever" and it's the perfect way to end such an epic night. I can only imagine how high the emotions were during that evening, but I hope it comes across well on the live video!

As for the rest of Morsefest 2016, I like the idea of the band that Neal put together for the "Storytellers" nice, and the song selections aren't half bad. Nice mix of covers and Neal-related songs - 3 SB songs, 5 FC songs, 1 TA song, and 3 from his solo albums - and a song by Eric Gillette from his first (spectacular) album! Even just on paper, it looks like it was a fun night of jamming and signing (considering the pipes of four of those five). I really hope Morsefest 2016 comes out before the end of the year, maybe in time for Christmas?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2354 on: April 18, 2017, 06:08:31 AM »
Considering doing the VIP for the St. Paul show. Has anyone done the VIP on this tour? Is it worth the extra $85?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2355 on: April 18, 2017, 06:54:39 AM »
Considering doing the VIP for the St. Paul show. Has anyone done the VIP on this tour? Is it worth the extra $85?

I'm doing it for the first time ever in Ridgefield.   I don't know what to expect, but I'm giving it a shot.  I got lucky; I'm literally in the front row, it's my birthday the next week, and I'm going by myself, so I figure what better way to kill time before the show?  I'm also going to the Shattered Fortress show a couple weeks later, so there's a lot to look forward to!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2356 on: April 18, 2017, 09:06:50 AM »
Yeah I was really contemplating going to MorseFest this year but couldn't afford it so I'm probably going to splurge for the VIP. I've never seen Neal Morse and this is probably the best shot I'll get in the foreseeable future so I'm going to treat myself. Plus this show is GA so getting a spot upfront should be almost guaranteed.

Offline PintoZ

« Reply #2357 on: April 20, 2017, 01:23:24 PM »
Hey guys, here's a cover I did of TSOAD's Overture, I basically overdubbed the song with Horns and Trumpets ;)
And to spice things up I created a video of the band playing the song, entirely made of live footage from 7 different shows !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdEgm_wYMGs

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2358 on: April 20, 2017, 05:51:37 PM »
Well done.  :tup :tup

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2359 on: April 20, 2017, 11:54:59 PM »
Great stuff!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2360 on: April 22, 2017, 08:19:49 AM »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2361 on: April 24, 2017, 09:29:58 PM »
A couple of days ago, Neal sent out his Inner Circle newsletter and posted an update regarding Morsefest 2016 Snow Live:

This is in the process and being worked on now. Rich Mouser is going to begin mixing in May and the video team is beginning their process and we hope to have this release available for you before the end of this year.

Now, it was under the header of "Morsefest 2016 Snow Live" so I am not sure if they just plan on releasing JUST SNOW, or both notes together. As I brought it up before, it would be best if they did both: Release both nights on CD and DVD just as the first two Morsefest box sets have been, a separate BD of both nights, and then sell JUST Snow Live on 2CD/DVD and/or BD, for fans who just want the Snow performance. It might be a bit more costly to produce more, but they might get more sales out of it...maybe. I mean, I'd buy the whole box set anyway, and I hope they release it to be consistent with the first two. I would be pretty bummed out if they decided not to do another box set like that, but I can understand why they wouldn't because neither night was by the Neal Morse Band, but rather a hodge-podge lineup and Spock's Beard.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2362 on: May 13, 2017, 05:26:05 PM »

I kind of understand it. "prog concept album" that hadn't been played live.

It's by far my least favorite Neal-related album. The vibe was just so much different that what came before -- a lot less fun too.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2363 on: May 13, 2017, 09:09:15 PM »
Neal Morse is just simply great!  The last few days I have been addicted to hearing old Beard that I haven't probably listened to in a few years.  The albums "The Light" "V" and "Day For Night".  Such great tunes!!!  I can't believe I didn't discover Neal Morse until sometime between Testimony and One.  I guess I was internet illiterate at the time so I had no way to discover who he was.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2364 on: May 13, 2017, 10:12:40 PM »
Better late than never!  :tup :tup

Regarding Snow, while I still like it a lot, I never listen to it anymore.  It's just too damn long. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2365 on: August 02, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »
Just curious, is there anyone here planning on being at the Neal Morse show in St. Paul on 8/17?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2366 on: August 17, 2017, 11:12:47 AM »
Anyone going to the show in Ridgefield, CT on the 25th? 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2367 on: August 18, 2017, 03:58:12 PM »
Anyone going to the Baltimore show on the 27th? I'd LOVE to go, but I've been tight on money all summer, and I just attended a convention, and I have another in December I am saving up for, so my budget's been super tight.  :'(

In all my years of being a Neal Morse fan, and having 3 of his bands come through my general area (NMB, FC and TA...I think?) in the last 13-14 years that I've been listening to him, I've never once experienced a live show with him, which is a shame.

Tickets are only $35, which is a STEAL, but it would take me a whole tank of gas to get there and back ($30), and then food, not to mention driving back from Baltimore after 11pm is a pain...*sigh*. Sometimes I wish I lived closer to Baltimore or DC for these things, but I *hate* living in/near the city, but I digress.

If you *ARE* going to the Baltimore show, I envy you all and I hope you have a great time. This is definitely a can't-miss tour, and I suspect that because Baltimore is the last show of the tour before Morsefest, it might be extra special, but who knows...

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2368 on: August 18, 2017, 08:14:31 PM »
My brother went to the show in Chicago tonight and is like 8 feet from Eric Gillette. He has sent me a few pics to demonstrate this. Bastard.  :lol :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2369 on: August 19, 2017, 10:38:45 AM »
Apparently, Neal and the band will be playing for an audience of ONE, since no one else appears to be going to the CT show.  ;)

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2370 on: August 22, 2017, 02:02:48 PM »
Finally have a chance to post about the St. Paul show. Best. Concert. Ever. I was literally front and center and about 3 feet from the stage. This was my first Neal show and the whole band was on fire. It was quite the experience. Everyone was very nice for the meet and greet. Hopefully I get another chance to see this amazing band, though this show is going to be hard to beat.

I have some great pics, but can't figure out how to add them.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2371 on: August 22, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »
Listening to TSOAD all day at work to get hype for the NYC show tonight :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2372 on: August 23, 2017, 08:50:08 AM »
Great performance last night by the band in NYC.  Probably one of the best shows I've ever been to.  This is the only NM album I own (aside from Transatlantic and Flying Colors), so I was really going in with no expectations.  I was very impressed.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2373 on: August 23, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »
Great performance last night by the band in NYC.  Probably one of the best shows I've ever been to.  This is the only NM album I own (aside from Transatlantic and Flying Colors), so I was really going in with no expectations.  I was very impressed.

Yeah, the band was pretty on point last night. Only slight disappointment was the one song encore (although it did allow me to catch an earlier bus, so not all bad).
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2374 on: August 23, 2017, 05:41:56 PM »
Good to see everyone enjoying the shows.  :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2375 on: August 23, 2017, 06:04:58 PM »
Tomorrow night for the wife and I!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2376 on: August 24, 2017, 09:43:32 AM »
I enjoyed the NYC show so much, I was thinking of driving to see the CT show tomorrow.  I probably won't, but I might!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2377 on: August 24, 2017, 06:41:53 PM »
Listening to TSOAD all day at work to get hype for the NYC show tonight :hat

I'm listening now for the weekend as I'd stopped for a while.

I forgot about most of the fusion on here. Been a good two months since it got any attention.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2378 on: August 25, 2017, 10:06:22 AM »
Hello people. I'm kind of new to Neal Morse. Started with Transatlantic and am now checking out Spock's Beard.

I haven't checked out any of Neal's solo stuff. Is the Neal Morse Band less religious than the solo stuff? And why did Morse decide to form a band instead of releasing more solo stuff? It seems like he's still the band leader and main song-writer for the band.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2379 on: August 25, 2017, 10:16:05 AM »
I haven't checked out any of Neal's solo stuff. Is the Neal Morse Band less religious than the solo stuff?

No, not really.  The Grand Experiment is a bit less "on the nose" than most of his solo albums.  But not by a whole lot.  This iteration of the band is meant to be a continuation of what he was already doing as a solo artist, not something different.  So it incorporates the same types of faith-based lyrics as his earlier solo work.

And why did Morse decide to form a band instead of releasing more solo stuff? It seems like he's still the band leader and main song-writer for the band.

Rather than having basically hired guns from all over the place, he wanted a band of relatively local musicians that he could write and tour with.  The guys he ended up hiring turned out to be competent songwriters themselves and contributed much more than the hired guns of the past, so Neal changed the name of the project to reflect that it is a band effort and not just him.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."