Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 546667 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2135 on: January 30, 2017, 08:20:35 PM »
God Tier
?
One

Great Tier
The Similitude of a Dream
Testimony 2

Really Good Tier
Momentum
The Grand Experiment

Good Tier
Lifeline
Sola Scriptura

Cut out the half that is filler and we'd have something really good tier
Testimony
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2136 on: January 30, 2017, 09:24:38 PM »
God Tier
?
One
YAY! Someone else who really likes the Question Mark album! It's packed full of great musicians and performances - I love Roine's work all over the album, and that Steve Hackett solo in "12" is to die for. The whole suite is so concise and flows very well.

Great Tier
The Similitude of a Dream
Testimony 2
Both are very great albums, glad to see them up here!

Really Good Tier
Momentum
The Grand Experiment
Not too bad, both are a bit similar in that they're collections of songs with a closing epic, very SB-like and not as blatantly religious as his concept albums have been, but because of that, the material isn't as strong overall, so I can see why you'd put both of them here.

Good Tier
Lifeline
Sola Scriptura
Now...Lifeline I understand being here, but putting it on the same level as SS?!...Eeeh, I guesssss, especially if you don't enjoy the heaviness, or the concept/story. But those Paul Gilbert solos are fantastic, and Randy really shines on this album.

Cut out the half that is filler and we'd have something really good tier
Testimony

Okay, now those are fightin' words right there!!! :lol But seriously, I see a lot of fans are really divided over this one. They either hate it or love it, and I think a lot of it has to do with the concept, and possibly even when fans became acquainted with Neal's work. I wasn't a fan until 2004/2005, so Testimony was already old news to me, but I can imagine some SB fans who were hyped to hear a 2-disc concept from Neal, just a year after Snow, and then be suddenly disappointed when it turned out to be a fairly preachy (especially near the end) and blatantly religious album. For me, though, I went into it knowing full-well what to expect from Neal, having read up on his leaving SB and TA at the time, and what he had been up do, so I was prepared.

This brings up a good point of discussion here - who here was a fan of Neal's BEFORE he left SB, and if you are, how did you feel about Testimony back then? How do you feel about it now? I'm curious to see if anyone's opinions have changed on that album since it came out nearly 14 years ago.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2137 on: January 30, 2017, 09:50:40 PM »
Hey now, I've always been a monster fan of the Question Mark album, even if it's not my favorite anymore.

As a fan of Neal since 2000, my opinion on Testimony has stayed pretty consistent: I think it's really good, albeit way too long.  It has some songs I really love, but I have always been bothered my the lack of balance in the instrumentation. There isn't a lot of notable guitar work, outside of a few solos here and there.  Basically, Neal did almost all of the bass and electric guitar playing himself (outside of Livgren's solo), and his playing on those instruments in 2003 didn't match his skills on the keys or acoustic, so the quality of playing is unbalanced (great drums, keys and acoustic; average bass playing; not much electric guitar in general).  But, despite its flaws, I still like it a lot, and yhe fact that I rank it around 9th, out of 12, on my list is more about how much better music he has done since then than it is an indictment of that record itself.

Also, I have to think that most Neal fans who were on board prior to 2003 knew what to expect when he left SB and posted his letter online as to why.  Sure, maybe some didn't expect his lyrics to be that religious, but he made no secret of why he left the Beard and what lyrical direction he was headed with his music in the future.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2138 on: January 30, 2017, 10:11:41 PM »
I actually had a discussion recently with a friend about Sola, and re-listened to it, which actually ended up with my bumping it up a tier. I may grow to like it more as time moves on. My major issue is that I *love* ?, and I felt SS was a pretty big departure from that when it came out and ended up not liking it nearly as much. I realize I might have let my expectations hinder my enjoyment of the music. I still think he certainly has done better, but do enjoy the general vibe of the album now.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2139 on: January 31, 2017, 06:25:20 PM »
I like Sola a lot, but it's not my favorite sounding Neal record.  While his albums usually sound pretty warm and organic, Sola is more aggressive and cold; kind of like The Kindness of Strangers, as far as Neal-era SB albums go.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I just think Neal's music is at his best and most enjoyable when it sounds warm.  I don't think having back-to-back 25 minute plus songs did it any favors either, from an album flow standpoint.  And then having Heaven in My Heart, which comes across as "I love Jesus" song that has little to do with the other songs, in what is supposed to be a concept album, just seems odd.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2140 on: January 31, 2017, 08:19:07 PM »
I like Sola a lot, but it's not my favorite sounding Neal record.  While his albums usually sound pretty warm and organic, Sola is more aggressive and cold; kind of like The Kindness of Strangers, as far as Neal-era SB albums go.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I just think Neal's music is at his best and most enjoyable when it sounds warm.  I don't think having back-to-back 25 minute plus songs did it any favors either, from an album flow standpoint.  And then having Heaven in My Heart, which comes across as "I love Jesus" song that has little to do with the other songs, in what is supposed to be a concept album, just seems odd.

Part of me wonders if Sola Scriptura was Neal's way of doing what he wanted to do with Bridge Across Forever. Initially, IIRC, Neal wanted to open BAF with the two epics, then the title track, then close with SCP, which oddly mirrors what he did with Sola. Then again, Neal has always kind of repeated himself in terms of album formats and track orders (based on style or length). There's the "Open and Close with long songs, throw short ones in the middle" camp of The Kindness of Strangers, V, (almost) Lifeline (if it weren't for "Fly High"), Momentum, Kaleidoscope, and The Grand Experiment, the pair of "It's one long song cut into 12 parts" camp with ? and The Whirlwind, and of course, the "super long concept albums with many tracks" camp of Snow, Testimony 1 & 2, and TSOAD.

I remember when The Whirlwind came out and it was said to be considered as one long piece, but indexed into 12 tracks, all I could think of was the Question Mark album. Maybe Neal's music just lends itself to familiar settings, and he's just used to producing music in these formats and orders...or maybe I Just read into things WAY too much. :rollin

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2141 on: February 01, 2017, 06:47:51 AM »
I only listen to Track 1 on Sola, The Door. Not that the others are 'bad' per say......but The Door is the only song on the album I like.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2142 on: February 01, 2017, 09:51:57 AM »
I like Sola, but my liking of it comes from liking individual parts of each of the long songs; none of the long songs in their entirety are really among my favorites.

But I LOVE this piece of this song, and this piece of that song, etc.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2143 on: February 02, 2017, 06:03:14 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6ILbBpVJnw
For those who didn't know the extended version of Momentum. Very cool I must say!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2144 on: February 02, 2017, 11:48:36 AM »
For those who didn't know the extended version of Momentum. Very cool I must say!

Ahh, okay, so it's what I thought. They re-inserted the original middle part that was cut from the final album version. Anyone with Neal's original Demo of the song should find this part familiar. Funnily enough, it was cut because the band felt like the song lost all its momentum (har har) by having that full stop and following slow section, and I agree, but for an encore piece, it works well here. As an opener on that tour, I think it would've killed the song to have that middle section, but here, it makes the song feel like a very classic SB tune, especially that build-up into the guitar solo before the last chorus! Good stuff, thanks for posting that!

EDIT - I listened to Neal's original demo for "Momentum", and it looks like this new live version is a bit different. In the original demo, after the second chorus, before the slow middle section, the guitar solo is present, but in this live version, the guitar solo is after that slow middle section, so it's a bit of a mash-up of the album and demo versions of the song, creating a wholly unique version of it, different from the demo, the album, and even the one played on the Momentum tour. The demo also had another verse before the last chorus, which isn't present on this live version. Cool stuff!  :tup

-Marc.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:50:59 PM by The Letter M »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2145 on: February 02, 2017, 08:17:47 PM »
I only listen to Track 1 on Sola, The Door. Not that the others are 'bad' per say......but The Door is the only song on the album I like.

I still slightly prefer The Conflict, largely because that song is more consistent.  The Door really doesn't get good for me until the "All I Ask For" section. The first two sections aren't bad, but the "Introduction" is easily the least impressive extended intro to a long epic Neal has ever done.   The end of that song is amazing, though.  Overall, my favorite section of the entire Sola album is probably the "Two Down, One to Go" one from The Conflict.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2146 on: February 03, 2017, 07:55:12 AM »

I still slightly prefer The Conflict, largely because that song is more consistent.  The Door really doesn't get good for me until the "All I Ask For" section. The first two sections aren't bad, but the "Introduction" is easily the least impressive extended intro to a long epic Neal has ever done.   The end of that song is amazing, though.  Overall, my favorite section of the entire Sola album is probably the "Two Down, One to Go" one from The Conflict.

I guess i should admit I really only listen to that song to hear that utterly incredible Paul Gilbert solo. It's such a beautiful solo....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2147 on: February 03, 2017, 08:21:57 AM »

I like that as well.  But to this day, I have no idea what the titular lyric in that section refers to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2148 on: February 03, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »
The Conflict is amazing from start to finish. The Door is a song that you realize it's great by the time it gets to the end, but I start to really enjoy it only when the "mercy, mercy" section rolls in. It's very good up to that, don't get me wrong, but from that point it truly becomes awesome.  :metal

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2149 on: February 03, 2017, 11:32:24 AM »
Overall, my favorite section of the entire Sola album is probably the "Two Down, One to Go" one from The Conflict.
I like that as well.  But to this day, I have no idea what the titular lyric in that section refers to.

ditto.  Anyone have any idea what he is referring to?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2150 on: February 03, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »
Overall, my favorite section of the entire Sola album is probably the "Two Down, One to Go" one from The Conflict.

ditto.  Anyone have any idea what he is referring to?

This might help? https://www.reddit.com/r/progrockmusic/comments/3jctwv/what_does_neal_mean_by_two_down_one_to_go_on_the/

https://nealmorse.yuku.com/topic/3042/Re-Two-down-one-to-go?page=-1

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2151 on: February 03, 2017, 02:02:22 PM »
Thanks, Marc.  But that's pretty much no help whatsoever.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LPMX

« Reply #2152 on: February 03, 2017, 02:42:11 PM »
Great video of the first 25 minutes of the Quebec City show with bonus performance of We All Need Some Light and Shine by Neal while the PA was down 10 minutes into the show : ;D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuEgnFgqvdQ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2153 on: February 03, 2017, 05:33:26 PM »
The Conflict is amazing from start to finish. 

Pretty much.

I guess i should admit I really only listen to that song to hear that utterly incredible Paul Gilbert solo. It's such a beautiful solo....

Yep, it's awesome, but when it comes to guest solos on a Neal Morse album, the winner is still Steve Hackett's solo in 12.   :coolio

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2154 on: February 03, 2017, 08:48:41 PM »
Thanks, Marc.  But that's pretty much no help whatsoever.  :lol

I tried... :D :lol

Yep, it's awesome, but when it comes to guest solos on a Neal Morse album, the winner is still Steve Hackett's solo in 12.   :coolio

That solo is pretty awesome, but I'd also throw in Steve Morse's solo in "Seeds Of Gold" as well. Actually, any solo by a guy named Steve. Let's get Steve Howe on the next Neal Morse album! (LOL Yeah right)

Also, regarding the current tour, has anyone read if Neal is planning to record a specific show for video/audio release later on? I haven't happened to stumble upon any such blurb from Neal or anyone else in the band with regards to a specific recording for a future release. I only ask this because "Agenda" has been not played or swapped out with another song during the encore in the last few shows, and while the song is a bit divisive among fans, it'd be a real shame if they didn't put it on the next live album, just for completion's sake (as the other four TGE tracks have been released).

One more thing I've noticed on this tour from videos and pictures is Mike's set. It looks like he's gone back to a double-bass for Neal's shows, and as such, his tom and cymbal lay-out have also changed. As a drummer, his set ups always fascinate me, and the fact that Mike only has 2 tom-toms directly in front of him looks WEIRD to me (though I think his Winery Dogs and Metal Allegiance kits do that, too, but I don't follow those bands much, if at all). Any kit associated with Neal, be it his solo band, Flying Colors, or Transatlantic, has always had three rack toms in front, above one bass drum, so this new kit is pretty interesting! He also has what look like concert toms on his left, past the hi-hat, so he can still do higher tom fills and what not.

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2155 on: February 04, 2017, 04:52:49 AM »
I've always considered Martin Luther to be a very interesting, influential and industrious historical figure, not only in spiritual ways. So I appreciate some of that album's lyrics.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2156 on: February 04, 2017, 11:36:17 AM »

That solo is pretty awesome, but I'd also throw in Steve Morse's solo in "Seeds Of Gold" as well. Actually, any solo by a guy named Steve. Let's get Steve Howe on the next Neal Morse album! (LOL Yeah right)

The solo by Kerry Livgren in Long Story is pretty great, as well.

I've always considered Martin Luther to be a very interesting, influential and industrious historical figure, not only in spiritual ways. So I appreciate some of that album's lyrics.

I wasn't a fan of the lyrics and subject matter on Sola at first, but I've come around a bit on them.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #2157 on: February 06, 2017, 09:23:09 AM »

Spoilers dude  :sad:

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2158 on: February 06, 2017, 12:56:12 PM »

Spoilers dude  :sad:
This was already very known and commented in this thread, but, anyway, sorry.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2159 on: February 09, 2017, 10:26:12 PM »
Eric nailed that solo pretty much note for note. Holy smokes.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2160 on: February 13, 2017, 02:53:47 PM »
Without warning, about 2 hours ago, pre-orders for Morsefest 2015 and Testimony on vinyl went up. Of course, the first 100 got their copies signed, no matter what they ordered (Morsefest on 2DVD/4CD, on 2BD, with or without Testimony on vinyl), so I probably missed that boat. Oh well.

Anyways, I just pre-ordered the 2DVD/4CD set. I'm not sure if I love Testimony enough to own it on vinyl (though I do own SB's 2nd-5th albums of vinyl...do I own Snow on vinyl to? I can't remember at the moment...all my vinyl is still boxed up as I don't own a place to display it properly yet).

Did anyone here think they got their orders in under the first 100? I didn't even see my email about it until half an hour ago, and before that, I saw the news first on Facebook before my email, so I promptly headed to Radiant to order. A shame I probably won't get it signed like my Morsefest 2014 set. Ah well...I've got like 20 signatures from Neal just from various pre-orders and poster bonuses alone, and I've never even met or seen him in person before! Weird...

-Marc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2161 on: February 13, 2017, 03:00:06 PM »
Without warning, about 2 hours ago, pre-orders for Morsefest 2015 and Testimony on vinyl went up. Of course, the first 100 got their copies signed, no matter what they ordered (Morsefest on 2DVD/4CD, on 2BD, with or without Testimony on vinyl), so I probably missed that boat. Oh well.

Anyways, I just pre-ordered the 2DVD/4CD set. I'm not sure if I love Testimony enough to own it on vinyl (though I do own SB's 2nd-5th albums of vinyl...do I own Snow on vinyl to? I can't remember at the moment...all my vinyl is still boxed up as I don't own a place to display it properly yet).

Did anyone here think they got their orders in under the first 100? I didn't even see my email about it until half an hour ago, and before that, I saw the news first on Facebook before my email, so I promptly headed to Radiant to order. A shame I probably won't get it signed like my Morsefest 2014 set. Ah well...I've got like 20 signatures from Neal just from various pre-orders and poster bonuses alone, and I've never even met or seen him in person before! Weird...

-Marc.

Yeah I got the email almost an HOUR after the preorders popped up. I ordered anyway and got a 990xx order and confirmed with the NM Forum on FB that I missed out on the 100 (based on the lowest number I found posted) so I'm canceling my Radiant order.

I then ordered the 4CD/2DVD set from Best Buy for $33.99.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2162 on: February 13, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »

-Marc.

Yeah I got the email almost an HOUR after the preorders popped up. I ordered anyway and got a 990xx order and confirmed with the NM Forum on FB that I missed out on the 100 (based on the lowest number I found posted) so I'm canceling my Radiant order.

Holy crap that's cheap!!! How do you cancel your order with Radiant? I don't see a "Cancel Order" button...or maybe I am blind...

-Marc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2163 on: February 13, 2017, 03:05:23 PM »

Holy crap that's cheap!!! How do you cancel your order with Radiant? I don't see a "Cancel Order" button...or maybe I am blind...

-Marc.

I emailed them. No response yet, but plenty of time for them to cancel.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2164 on: February 13, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »

-Marc.

I emailed them. No response yet, but plenty of time for them to cancel.

Okay. I just replied to my order email and hopefully that'll do it. It's weird that Radiant's website doesn't have a "Cancel Order"  button, but it has a "Re-Order" button. :facepalm:

-Marc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2165 on: February 13, 2017, 03:09:34 PM »
Okay. I just replied to my order email and hopefully that'll do it. It's weird that Radiant's website doesn't have a "Cancel Order"  button, but it has a "Re-Order" button. :facepalm:

-Marc.

Yeah I figured why pay full boat + shipping from Radiant if I'm not getting the signed stuff....

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2166 on: February 13, 2017, 03:13:26 PM »
Yeah I figured why pay full boat + shipping from Radiant if I'm not getting the signed stuff....

Good point, and I saved $5.58 off of Radiant's price. Even Amazon isn't much cheaper.

-Marc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2167 on: February 13, 2017, 03:21:17 PM »

Good point, and I saved $5.58 off of Radiant's price. Even Amazon isn't much cheaper.

-Marc.

Yep.  :)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2168 on: February 13, 2017, 05:16:27 PM »

-Marc.

What's the lowest number you found? My order number is: 98948. If I'm not getting the signed stuff, I might cancel my Radiant order.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2169 on: February 13, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »
It's weird that Radiant's website doesn't have a "Cancel Order"  button, but it has a "Re-Order" button. :facepalm:

It's only weird if you have forgotten that Radiant sucks monkey balls. 

Getting this is a no-brainer, but I will get it through amazon.  Radiant will never get my money again.