Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539778 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2065 on: January 14, 2017, 06:15:52 PM »
My brother had tickets to go to the opening show tonight in Nashville, but the nasty weather storm that was predicted for much of the midwest forced him to stay home.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2066 on: January 14, 2017, 06:38:46 PM »
So my Brother  burned me a copy of the new concept album.  WOW..what an awesome piece of work!  Still really digesting it all.  I happened to also see that wouldn't you know it...they play here in LA next Saturday!  The stars are aligned!  Wait one...sold out?  WHAT!!!  GAH!!! What a frikken tease!!!!  Can't even find resale seats!!!!   :sadpanda:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2067 on: January 14, 2017, 07:25:20 PM »
So my Brother  burned me a copy of the new concept album.  WOW..what an awesome piece of work!  Still really digesting it all.  I happened to also see that wouldn't you know it...they play here in LA next Saturday!  The stars are aligned!  Wait one...sold out?  WHAT!!!  GAH!!! What a frikken tease!!!!  Can't even find resale seats!!!!   :sadpanda:

I do believe that the LA show has been sold out for a couple weeks or so. Sorry for your luck! The new album has proved to be very popular, and I think the band has tweeted that a lot of the shows are getting a lot of sales, which is very good for them - they deserve to sell out their shows!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2068 on: January 14, 2017, 07:55:33 PM »
Hopefully, someone will post the set list online somewhere after the show tonight, so we can see what non-new songs they are playing.  :tup :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2069 on: January 14, 2017, 09:58:34 PM »
Hopefully, someone will post the set list online somewhere after the show tonight, so we can see what non-new songs they are playing.  :tup :tup

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-neal-morse-band/2017/rocketown-nashville-tn-5bf8a788.html

I keep refreshing, hoping to see an update here or there.

I suspect that while all of TSOAD will be played, I'm sure Mike or Neal will sneak in some extended jam time, or a tiny cover snippet (as they typically like to do every now and then).

As for the encore, I think we may see at least ONE song from TGE, then probably one oldie, either from One or Testimony (though hopefully NOT the usual suspects - Sing It High, Reunion, King Jesus, Testimony Part 5). He's got enough material that he can pull out other, new encores by this point, and hopefully  not have to rely on those tried-and-true, yet kind of over-played classics, or anything from SB or TA at this point.

Honestly, if they just played "Seeds of Gold" as the encore, I'd be happy with that. That'd be a killer encore, and I'd love to hear this band cover it (since it was only played with the Testimony 2 live band).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2070 on: January 14, 2017, 10:58:42 PM »
Yep...dying to see what "other" songs were played too! :justjen

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2071 on: January 15, 2017, 03:49:55 AM »
Bring on the reviews... will not see them until the 1st of April but am eager to see the reviews

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2072 on: January 15, 2017, 06:55:03 AM »
SPOILER ALERT ENCORE BELOW:

1. Momentum (Extended Version)
2. Agenda
3. The Call

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2073 on: January 15, 2017, 07:36:11 AM »
So how was the concert?
How did they present TSOAD?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2074 on: January 15, 2017, 08:50:30 AM »

2. Agenda
3. The Call

I can live with that.  Two rocking tunes that are both good and one of his best songs ever (The Call).  :coolio

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2075 on: January 15, 2017, 10:19:30 AM »
The Neal Morse Band - The Sloth LIVE - The Road Called Home Tour 2017

Note: Not my videos I just uploaded them to youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pHD570Y01g

Ways of a Fool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pwEydGirlE

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 10:28:06 AM by NOMACS »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2076 on: January 15, 2017, 11:09:17 AM »

2. Agenda
3. The Call

I can live with that.  Two rocking tunes that are both good and one of his best songs ever (The Call).  :coolio

Well, I was right about them doing at least ONE tune from TGE, and they picked one song they didn't do last tour, and one of the better ones to close with, but to open the encore with Momentum? Interesting choice, though I like that it's an extended version! I wonder if it's based on the original demo that Neal made (which had this whole middle section that they cut out), or if it was just an extended jam?

This might be a new record for Neal, playing only songs from his 3 most recent albums / from the last 5 years. It's a good choice, though, considering his band had a hand in all of those albums, so it makes sense to play songs they've recorded. With the first performance of "Agenda", all 5 tracks from TGE have now been performed live, as well as 1 bonus track ("MacArthur Park was done at Morsefest). Doing only newer tunes makes me wonder if Neal purposely avoided older stuff because he may do them at Morsefest this year, although he hasn't announced a Morsefest for 2017 yet, so who knows...

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:15:56 PM by The Letter M »

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #2077 on: January 15, 2017, 03:13:02 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxi6QQHphJI
Freedom Song in HD.

Great to see that they took this sloth thing seriously ;)
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2078 on: January 15, 2017, 05:43:41 PM »
Did anybody here do the VIP thing? At what time did they tell you to be there? I'm thinking about it but I have to drive from Austin.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2079 on: January 15, 2017, 09:34:35 PM »
I have to say that I ordered it....hoping it wouldn't be as preachy....I listened to disc 1 and was fairly disappointed.   It was OK, but not this ***OMG AMAZEBALLS*** that I've been hearing about.    Old Spock's Beard was better.

I'll still check out disc 2 at some point.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2080 on: January 15, 2017, 09:45:50 PM »
Scanning the 'net for reviews or comments, I see one of Portnoy's mods on his forum said the three encore songs may change.  I am assuming he heard that straight from the horse's mouth, the horse being the drummer. :P  As long as The Call remains, I am good.  :hat

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2081 on: January 15, 2017, 10:16:58 PM »
Scanning the 'net for reviews or comments, I see one of Portnoy's mods on his forum said the three encore songs may change.  I am assuming he heard that straight from the horse's mouth, the horse being the drummer. :P  As long as The Call remains, I am good.  :hat

I was wondering if the encore would change. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility - this is Neal and Mike we are talking about - but I would think, being the longest song of the three, that "The Call" would remain, especially since it was the last of the three. It would be a shame of "Agenda" was swapped about considering this is its first time being played, but it's also the shortest song of the three, so it could be swapped easily with something else just as short. As for "Momentum", I would not mind seeing it replaced considering we've already gotten it on the Momentum tour, so for a live recording, they may change that song out (maybe for "Absolutely Beginner" or "Supernatural" from disc 2 of Testimony 2? Or perhaps another track from TGE?).

I guess we'll have to wait a couple days to find out! Has anyone in the band announced when they're recording a show for a live release? I'm curious as to which show they'll pick, though I'm willing to bet it'll be later in the tour. I mean, why would they EVER record so early in a tour?! *Looks at Transatlantic's Live In Europe*...oh wait...

-Marc.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2082 on: January 16, 2017, 06:57:53 AM »

I was wondering if the encore would change. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility - this is Neal and Mike we are talking about - but I would think, being the longest song of the three, that "The Call" would remain, especially since it was the last of the three. It would be a shame of "Agenda" was swapped about considering this is its first time being played, but it's also the shortest song of the three, so it could be swapped easily with something else just as short. As for "Momentum", I would not mind seeing it replaced considering we've already gotten it on the Momentum tour, so for a live recording, they may change that song out (maybe for "Absolutely Beginner" or "Supernatural" from disc 2 of Testimony 2? Or perhaps another track from TGE?).

I guess we'll have to wait a couple days to find out! Has anyone in the band announced when they're recording a show for a live release? I'm curious as to which show they'll pick, though I'm willing to bet it'll be later in the tour. I mean, why would they EVER record so early in a tour?! *Looks at Transatlantic's Live In Europe*...oh wait...

-Marc.

I would bet it would be recorded in the European leg as the crowds are bigger over there than in the States.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2083 on: January 17, 2017, 05:50:09 PM »

I think Agenda is the most likely of the three to get swapped out.  I can see them wanting to play it, since it was the one song from TGE that didn't get played the last tour. but if the live reaction from crowds is as lukewarm as the online reaction was to it, I could see it not lasting long.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2084 on: January 17, 2017, 06:40:47 PM »
I HOPE they kick out Agenda. Not that it's a bad song, but in Morses repertoire, it's definitely in the lower 10% for me.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2085 on: January 17, 2017, 07:09:16 PM »
So I've had the new album album quite a while and I think after the dust has settled my favorite song may be "Breath of Angels".  Great song.   The guitar solo is really what makes it so great.  So happy Neal has Eric Gillette in the band.  And this is coming from someone who loves Neal's solos.  I have his first solo album, I probably should pick up his latest as some point. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2086 on: January 17, 2017, 07:39:14 PM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2087 on: January 17, 2017, 08:33:25 PM »
I HOPE they kick out Agenda. Not that it's a bad song, but in Morses repertoire, it's definitely in the lower 10% for me.

totally this. I'm stoked for the concert and am sure it's gonna have many great moments....but I could do without hearing AGENDA live.

So I've had the new album album quite a while and I think after the dust has settled my favorite song may be "Breath of Angels".  Great song.   The guitar solo is really what makes it so great.  So happy Neal has Eric Gillette in the band.  And this is coming from someone who loves Neal's solos.  I have his first solo album, I probably should pick up his latest as some point. 

While I enjoy the album greatly I think that the Grand Experiment is a better overall album, with more captivating songs. Take this with a grain of salt as TSOAD is pretty incredible....but between the two Neal Morse Band albums I'd side with Grand Experiment....and if I included his entire solo output TSOAD probably wouldn't crack top 5 for me.

But that doesn't mean I'm not pumped to see them all next Thursday!!!  :metal
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2088 on: January 17, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »

While I enjoy the album greatly I think that the Grand Experiment is a better overall album, with more captivating songs. 

I think it's pretty close.  I would say that no individual song on the new album is as awesome as The Call or Alive Again, but it's still nearly two hours of non-stop greatness.  The Great Experiment has the added bonus of another top 20 Neal song, IMO (Waterfall), two good rockers and two really good bonus tracks.

It's not one of his better songs, but I think I like it more than most.  It's a fun, playful little rocker, and let's face it, Neal doesn't do a lot of those.

Breath of Angels is not one of my go-to songs from the album (which I rarely listen to all the way through, because who has time to do that on a regular basis :lol), but it definitely kicks my ass every time I listen to it.  :coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2089 on: January 19, 2017, 10:15:34 PM »
New thought: the synth solo in The Road Back Home is very Styx-ish.  That is totally the tone I would say was Dennis DeYoung's favorite during Styx's prime.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2090 on: January 20, 2017, 05:11:32 PM »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2091 on: January 20, 2017, 05:55:24 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2092 on: January 21, 2017, 08:07:37 AM »
I'm gonna try to avoid too many live clips, since I'm seeing them next Thursday.  Five days to go! :hat

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2093 on: January 21, 2017, 09:55:28 AM »
I just noticed, when listening to some of Neal's live albums the other night, that his live CD sets (and shows, I suppose) have been getting shorter in the last couple of years. For both Testimony 2 and Momentum, the following live albums were both over 3 hours long, while Alive Again is just barely 2 hours and 20 minutes.

It looks like this current tour's show is also just over 2 hours, with TSOAD being about 106 minutes long, The Call/Agenda being about 14 minutes, and Momentum being around 7 or 8 minutes long. You could even fit the encore on Disc 2 after the end of TSOAD, so I'm sure the eventual Road Called Home live album will only be 2 discs (just like Alive Again was).

Has there been any stated reason as to why the recent tours have been shorter than before? Is Neal getting to the point in his life where doing 3 hour prog shows is a lot? I think even the Flying Colors shows were both under 3 hours long.

I hope in the future, at least in the case of Transatlantic, that Neal is able to do longer shows again, especially considering how LONG Transatlantic's songs are. I wonder if doing an album of shorter songs for TA5 (say, about 5 or 6 songs in the 8-15 minute range) would be more favorable in terms of doing them in a live context? Hmmm...

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2094 on: January 21, 2017, 10:48:03 AM »
The Man in the Iron Cage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yudzEYbJuTM&feature=youtu.be
Two things:

1.  Vocals sounded OUTSTANDING.  Wish it was the whole song. 

2.  The crowd need to wake the F up!  If you can't get up and show some energy for that song, I can only imagine how sterile the crowd reaction must have been the rest of the night.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2095 on: January 21, 2017, 12:02:54 PM »
If anyone is in LA that wants to go to the show tonight. I have an extra ticket, no charge.
PM me if you want it.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2096 on: January 21, 2017, 04:52:10 PM »
Whittier tonight!!  :metal

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #2097 on: January 22, 2017, 01:36:41 AM »
Whittier tonight!!  :metal

Such a rewarding night!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2098 on: January 22, 2017, 09:12:16 AM »
Has there been any stated reason as to why the recent tours have been shorter than before? Is Neal getting to the point in his life where doing 3 hour prog shows is a lot?

I am guessing age has something to do with it.  Neal is 56 now, and those super long shows have to be hard to to at any age, much less when you are older, especially for Neal, who is so active when performing (singing, constantly changing and playing instruments, and moving around being the front man).

The Man in the Iron Cage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yudzEYbJuTM&feature=youtu.be
Two things:

1.  Vocals sounded OUTSTANDING.  Wish it was the whole song. 

2.  The crowd need to wake the F up!  If you can't get up and show some energy for that song, I can only imagine how sterile the crowd reaction must have been the rest of the night.

Agreed. If that song doesn't get you on your feet and rocking out, then stay the hell home. :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2099 on: January 22, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »
Overture/The Dream/City of Destruction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h08ZEWQD50M

end of City of Destruction/We Have Got to Go/Makes No Sense/Draw the Line/The Slough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFGUBl4tpAA

Back to the City/The Ways of a Fool/So Far Gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eiz6nsdBzc8

Breath of Angels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67eVhEMGzNk