Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 545734 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1820 on: October 18, 2016, 03:04:18 PM »
I liked it a lot.  And I don't think "game changer" and an artist's subjective belief that an album is the "album of his career" are necessarily the same thing.
Agreed, but Portnoy has said that in his book this album surpasses both Scenes from a Memory and The Whirlwind (which he considered the best albums of his career before this one); so that sounds a little bit more serious than the 'my newest album is my best so far' judgement.

Mike said that this album is the album of HIS career, that doesn't mean that it has to be MY/YOUR favorite of his career. He can feel whatever he wants about this album, what he says doesn't afect my appreciation for music. He said this is better than Whirlwind and SFAM, both albums are not MY favorites of his career.

People tend to forget that ART in this case music is subjective, for some The Astonishing is the best DT has put out and I disagree, so?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1821 on: October 18, 2016, 03:17:00 PM »
I don't think anyone has forgotten that art and music are (somewhat) subjective.  Not sure what your point is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1822 on: October 18, 2016, 03:31:43 PM »
I don't think anyone has forgotten that art and music are (somewhat) subjective.  Not sure what your point is.

Then you should reread what I said above again.

People is expecting this album to be the very best of NM and company, but that is the solely apreciation of one of the band members of the band.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1823 on: October 18, 2016, 03:49:13 PM »
I did read it.  You are putting words in people's mouths and making assumptions. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1824 on: October 18, 2016, 04:42:07 PM »
Relax dude, I am not putting word's in anyones mouth, at least it wasn't me who said one of the songs released are not game changer, again, art is subjective

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1825 on: October 18, 2016, 04:56:32 PM »
You also tend to forgetc every album an artist just completes is a game changer. They are not subjective.

Now as a fan I can't wait to hear it and hope it is!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1826 on: October 18, 2016, 07:09:48 PM »
Just found out that Neal Morse Band is coming here to St Louis in January!! Woohoo!!!!  After being a fan of his for over 16 years, I will finally see him live. :hat

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1827 on: October 19, 2016, 09:25:50 AM »
Just found out that Neal Morse Band is coming here to St Louis in January!! Woohoo!!!!  After being a fan of his for over 16 years, I will finally see him live. :hat

I saw that.....so cool!!! And, it's on my birthday.....January 26th. Great gift. We will have to make sure to meet up!!

The venue is announced as Delmar Hall.....Isn't that the Pageant?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1828 on: October 19, 2016, 10:21:20 AM »
The traditional glowing first review:
https://progreport.com/neal-morse-band-similitude-dream-album-review/
By the way, I really loved the first 3 songs from the album, I think it has potencial to be my favourite Neal Morse album at least (and I like very much his solo discography).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 05:53:45 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1829 on: October 19, 2016, 07:58:56 PM »

I saw that.....so cool!!! And, it's on my birthday.....January 26th. Great gift. We will have to make sure to meet up!!

Definitely!

Delmar Hall is next to the Pageant, I believe. A bit smaller.

And I wish we had had more time here. I just found about this last night and my brother got our tickets at the pre-sale today.  It would have been cool if we could have gotten tickets to sit together.  Did you get tickets yet? We got third row center. :coolio

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1830 on: October 20, 2016, 10:11:22 AM »

Definitely!

Delmar Hall is next to the Pageant, I believe. A bit smaller.

And I wish we had had more time here. I just found about this last night and my brother got our tickets at the pre-sale today.  It would have been cool if we could have gotten tickets to sit together.  Did you get tickets yet? We got third row center. :coolio

yeah...that happened fast!! but thanks to your heads up text I got 7th Row Center   :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1831 on: October 20, 2016, 03:46:11 PM »
I know! :tup :tup

Are we all assuming on this tour that the whole new album will be played?  Since the album is just over 100 minutes supposedly, that would take the first two hours of the show (two sets, most likely), and then I guess we'd get a long encore or a short third set and a short encore.  Since they will be playing cities they have never played, hopefully they bust out some Neal tried and true classics from other projects (We All Need Some Light, Wind at My Back), as well as some killer stuff from Neal's career post-SB (The Call, one of the long epics like Seeds of Gold, Alive Again or The Separated Man).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1832 on: October 21, 2016, 09:50:06 AM »

Are we all assuming on this tour that the whole new album will be played?  Since the album is just over 100 minutes supposedly, that would take the first two hours of the show (two sets, most likely), and then I guess we'd get a long encore or a short third set and a short encore.  Since they will be playing cities they have never played, hopefully they bust out some Neal tried and true classics from other projects (We All Need Some Light, Wind at My Back), as well as some killer stuff from Neal's career post-SB (The Call, one of the long epics like Seeds of Gold, Alive Again or The Separated Man).

I think you're assumption is a good one. I'd think it's the new album followed by some classics. Can't wait!!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1833 on: October 21, 2016, 10:45:37 AM »
I am surprised about the choice of venue for Denver. It is a run down theater in a run down neighborhood down the street from mine. I assumed the place  was out of business until the NM dates were announced.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1834 on: October 21, 2016, 05:05:19 PM »

I think you're assumption is a good one. I'd think it's the new album followed by some classics. Can't wait!!

Yep, that makes the most sense. I just hope we get more than a couple of songs not from the new album.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #1835 on: October 28, 2016, 08:33:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL5u8nCI8FY

New song from the new album, "So Far Gone".
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1836 on: October 28, 2016, 02:59:16 PM »
Wow, I quite like it.  The vocals were definitely a surprise.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1837 on: October 29, 2016, 08:03:21 AM »
I am not saying I am concerned, since I am sure the best stuff will be the deeper cuts, but I haven't been wowed or overly impressed with any of the songs they've released thus far.  This latest one is another that strikes me as being just pretty good.  It's easy to say, avoid the hype and expectations, but considering how it's been talked up, it can be difficult.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1838 on: October 29, 2016, 01:14:18 PM »
Neal Morse rocking the JP music man.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1839 on: October 29, 2016, 03:00:15 PM »
Apparently, according to a post by Eric Gillette, we're getting another music video next Friday, and I think, the day of release on the follow Friday. Honestly, I've not watched the new one yet and probably won't watch the next one or two as we're so close to release date, I'm just going to wait until the whole thing is out and listen to it then.

I've also avoided reading the reviews that have started to trickle in that I keep seeing Mike, Neal, Randy, and Eric post about on Facebook. I see them, nod, and scroll along, hoping that by staying blind (or deaf?) to the hype that keeps building, I'll be more excited for the music when it comes out.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1840 on: October 31, 2016, 12:51:29 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-didnt-want-new-the-neal-morse-band-album-to-be-compared-to-dream-theater/

Interesting...so it is gonna be "The Similitude Of A Dream" vs. "The Astonishing" ??
And does the comparison stands just because both are double albums??

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1841 on: October 31, 2016, 02:04:25 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-didnt-want-new-the-neal-morse-band-album-to-be-compared-to-dream-theater/

Interesting...so it is gonna be "The Similitude Of A Dream" vs. "The Astonishing" ??
And does the comparison stands just because both are double albums??
Well, they're also both concept albums, not to mention progressive. Add also the fact that Eric Gilette is playing a JP Music Man and I think it's a perfectly valid concern.  :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1842 on: October 31, 2016, 03:13:37 AM »
Wait.. I just go it:

The Similitude of a Dream Theater Album

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1843 on: November 05, 2016, 07:05:55 AM »
https://progreport.com/neal-morse-band-premiere-new-track-the-ways-of-the-fool-from-new-album/

Not sure about this one.  Hopefully, it will grow on me, but given the handful of songs that have been released thus far, my enthusiasm for this record has been severely dampened.  Nothing has wowed me yet.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1844 on: November 05, 2016, 08:34:35 AM »
Ways Of A Fool has been the only single so far that was an instant winner for me upon first listen. Very very cool song, Bill's vocal delivery is very good. It's like they put The Beatles, Queen, and early Genesis in a blender, but the solo section totally takes me to ELP-World for a minute.

So Far Gone has really grown on me a lot too and I was pretty lukewarm on that track. I managed to go from very wary of this record to very excited overnight  :D

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1845 on: November 05, 2016, 08:45:08 AM »
https://progreport.com/neal-morse-band-premiere-new-track-the-ways-of-the-fool-from-new-album/

Not sure about this one.  Hopefully, it will grow on me, but given the handful of songs that have been released thus far, my enthusiasm for this record has been severely dampened.  Nothing has wowed me yet.

I find it better when it's heard within the context of the album.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1846 on: November 05, 2016, 11:12:07 AM »
Wait.. I just go it:

The Similitude of a Dream Theater Album
   :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1847 on: November 05, 2016, 11:16:17 AM »
I must see what the hype is about, I admit I'm intrigued!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1848 on: November 05, 2016, 11:36:55 AM »
Except for a small snippet I got spoiled with listening to a recording of Trunk and Portnoy interview Rabin and Wakeman (which sounded ok to me I guess) I have yet to hear a note of this album before I get it.

I never thought to compare the two double albums but I guess some would make a connection. I think it's more of Neal being Neal than Mike trying to recreate Dream Theater.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1849 on: November 05, 2016, 04:13:16 PM »
I have the album and I must say that TSOAD sounds NOTHING like DT. TSOAD is a great album, only two songs I wouldn't have included in the concept are I am Running and Freedom, both songs sounds to be part of the LIFELINE release. Other than that the album flows greatly and every other songs are REALLY great!

Also, don't expect to be better than SFAM or The Whirlwind, but I can say that it really is the best album NM has put out as a solo artist.

EDIT: in bold the edit I did on the post
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 08:01:24 AM by NOMACS »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1850 on: November 06, 2016, 06:22:34 AM »
That's a pretty bold statement, considering some of the awesome albums he has released (not even counting Spock's or Transatlantic).  If this is as good or better than ?, One or Testimony 2, the songs we haven't heard yet must be pretty awesome, because the songs I have heard thus far have not given me that vibe.  I would love to be proven wrong. :biggrin:

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1851 on: November 06, 2016, 06:34:28 AM »
Honestly, the first thing that came to my mind, when Portnoy said, they were going to do a double concept album, was Portnoy thinking "I can't let DT be the only ones to do this this year. I'll call Neal and we'll do a double concept album that will kick TA's balls". So his statement about being concerned about exactly that proved me completely wrong. Apparently he was the one who didn't want TSOAD to become a double album.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1852 on: November 06, 2016, 07:44:57 AM »
I adore Neal, but I will be extremely surprised if this ends up being even remotely close to albums such as The Light, V, Bridge across forever, Sola scriptura and Testimony 2.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1853 on: November 06, 2016, 08:02:20 AM »
I adore Neal, but I will be extremely surprised if this ends up being even remotely close to albums such as The Light, V, Bridge across forever, Sola scriptura and Testimony 2.

I should have said: " it really is the best album NM has put out as a solo artist."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1854 on: November 06, 2016, 08:14:54 AM »
Considering Neal Morse music ALWAYS sounds like him, no matter what band he is in, I think we're already splitting hairs. And if we're splitting hairs, I must say, this is not a solo release. It's an Neal Morse BAND release ;)
any rock can be made to roll