Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539907 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1715 on: March 18, 2016, 08:59:32 PM »
I concur - The Grand Experiment was a HUGE step-up from Momentum, not that Momentum wasn't great. Actually, for the time, Momentum was pretty good, even if it was a bit "typical" of Neal. Momentum was, to me, his first successful non-concept album, even counting his first two, which weren't very proggy to begin with (aside from the closing 4-part epic on his debut), but compared to Lifeline, Momentum was something more akin to Spock's Beard or even Transatlantic. Less religious lyrics that were a bit more secular, or at least just ambiguously spiritual enough to differentiate itself from Lifeline, which was very obvious with its references to God, Jesus, and Christianity as a whole (not that there's anything wrong with that, but I think that turned people off from the album more so than his concept albums, whose Christian ideas could be more seen as part of the story and concept and less so as part of just another Christian Rock album with a prog twist).

If the next album is more in line with Momentum and The Grand Experiment in terms of music and lyrics, I am DEFINITELY very hyped up for it, especially if it draws inspiration from Snow. Hell, let's see it be a sequel to Snow (which was joked about in the liner notes for the album anyway, where the end of it says there's room for a sequel or something like that). I'd love to see a solid narrative from Neal, a true story and journey, but not about a single man who goes through hard times and comes back uplifted and spiritual, as he's done this with Snow and Testimony. Something with a bit more adventure this time, I think, using spiritual and Christian ideas to shape the story rather than make it BE about it. Write a story with good characters and plot set to interesting music and I'll be sold. I kind of hope that Neal, Eric, Bill, and even Mike, get to do vocals for specific characters in the story, actually, as that would be something he hasn't done before and now that he's got a band with 4 vocalists, it'd be a crying shame if he didn't utilize them in that way!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1716 on: March 19, 2016, 01:24:27 AM »
I like your ideas. The multiple vocalists would be really cool! As far as a sequel to Snow goes... I don't think Neal would make a NMB sequel, to a SB album. But who know, maybe he proposed it to the guys in Spock's and they agreed as long as the next MorseFest would be Snow live.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1717 on: March 19, 2016, 04:19:04 AM »
Never listened to Neal Morse before, yet I'm intrigued.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1718 on: March 19, 2016, 04:33:21 AM »
Strong words indeed. The Grand Experiment turned out to be rather underwhelming, so fingers crossed this one will be more dramatic and prettier melodically.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1719 on: March 19, 2016, 11:32:54 AM »
Why doesn't NM put his albums on Spotify? :(

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1720 on: March 19, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »
Why doesn't NM put his albums on Spotify? :(

He has stated that he thinks it's unfair to the artists. Which it is. But still, he should :D

No it's a shame that a lot of my favorite music isn't on there. Neal's solo albums, Transatlantic, his Spock's Beard albums, Flying Colors (right?)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1721 on: March 19, 2016, 01:36:37 PM »
I'm watching the Morsefest blu ray right now. I really love Neal's music, but his attitude towards it too. He really seems like an extremely likable chap.
Funny thing is, he's playing less than an hours drive away from me in a couple of weeks, but it's a church service. I don't really feel good going to a church service, just because Neal's playing there. I'm far from a christian, I'm not really interested in becoming one, it feels wrong to just grab the opportunity to see Neal. What would you guys do?

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1722 on: March 19, 2016, 02:30:16 PM »
Dude, just go see him if you want to see. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1723 on: March 20, 2016, 04:36:26 AM »
I'm not religious myself but that didn't stop me from using the opportunity to go to a church once and listen to my friend singing in a gospel choir. It was awesome. If I could pay respects to my friend and enjoy the music, you should definitely check out Neal when you have a chance.  ;D

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1724 on: March 20, 2016, 05:54:57 PM »
I'm watching the Morsefest blu ray right now. I really love Neal's music, but his attitude towards it too. He really seems like an extremely likable chap.
Funny thing is, he's playing less than an hours drive away from me in a couple of weeks, but it's a church service. I don't really feel good going to a church service, just because Neal's playing there. I'm far from a christian, I'm not really interested in becoming one, it feels wrong to just grab the opportunity to see Neal. What would you guys do?

I'm not Lutheran but I went to a Lutheran church with my girlfriend and saw a choir concert they had. It was nice, the atmosphere was friendly. I think you should do it man. :)

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1725 on: March 21, 2016, 02:05:20 AM »
Thanks guys, I definitely will now.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1726 on: March 30, 2016, 03:34:05 PM »
Just came back from the church service. And yeah, I'm glad I went, but it didn't do much for me. If anything, maybe it made Neal seem like a more flawed person than I thought he was. He, I believe a family friend on piano, and a random drummer played about 10-12 songs of which Sing It High was the least preachy, and the only song off of an official CD. Apart from that there were only 2 songs I even knew (Isiah 60 and Jailbreak), and I thought I knew most Neal had written. Judging by how loud people were singing along and how little people knew Neal's story (he asked for a show of hands) I think he played a couple of worship classics. I can't know for sure, but the melodies and progressions certainly didn't sound Neal-like.
There was a massive preach in the middle of the two short sets with first Neal telling us a bit about his life story (he played in a circus, and had a steady ragtime piano gig for a while, didn't know that) and joking around a bit and secondly his friend Todd giving the audience a sort of bible lecture.

I had hoped to speak to Neal, but while the audience was small, he took his time with each and everyone, mostly to talk about religion (which again is logical considering it being in a church) so I figured I was the wrong guy in the wrong place. I would've loved Neal to play some other songs, though. The man has such a vast amount of beautiful acoustic songs, why play only the worship ones?

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1727 on: April 30, 2016, 04:25:06 AM »
Just finished reading the Testimony book that I bought at the above mentioned service. Great stuff, a lot of things in there that I didn't know! I always wondered the part in Jesus Bring Me Home, where Neal is wanting to get off the road, to focus on a music career. I never understood the paradox. It appears that he was (even right before V was out) still touring with other bands to make ends meet.

That and his early rockstar life, which was a lot heavier than I thought it would be. Smoking pot at 12, almost getting into dealing drugs...

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1728 on: May 03, 2016, 11:40:05 AM »

That and his early rockstar life, which was a lot heavier than I thought it would be. Smoking pot at 12, almost getting into dealing drugs...

Aside from the smoking pot at 12.. almost every teen 'almost deals drugs' at some point.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: May 03, 2016, 02:23:12 PM »
 :lol I guess we come from different neighborhoods then.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1730 on: July 07, 2016, 07:51:12 PM »
Wow, not a single post in a Neal Morse or Spock's Beard thread regarding the latest Morsefest....  Not sure what thread to throw it in but chose Neal Morse.

Anyone from here attend?  Did it live up to the hype?  I wanted to go but it ended up not being in the cards for me.  Don't really feel like I missed out because I went to the first Morsefest (Testimony/One) which is easily my favorite album lineup of the ones they've done.

Been quiet on the Neal Morse Band front.  I'm assuming once more news is released on the upcoming album there will be more discussion.  It was originally slated for a release relatively soon (https://bravewords.com/news/mike-portnoy-checks-in-from-the-neal-morse-band-recording-sessions-new-double-concept-album-an-absolute-masterpiece) but that seems unlikely.  It would be nice to get an update.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1731 on: July 07, 2016, 08:01:05 PM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44537.315

;)

I floated the idea of going to my older brother and a friend, both of whom are big Spock's fans, but neither like Snow that much, so there was zero interest from either in going.  Oh well.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1732 on: July 07, 2016, 08:16:43 PM »
Been quiet on the Neal Morse Band front.  I'm assuming once more news is released on the upcoming album there will be more discussion.  It was originally slated for a release relatively soon (https://bravewords.com/news/mike-portnoy-checks-in-from-the-neal-morse-band-recording-sessions-new-double-concept-album-an-absolute-masterpiece) but that seems unlikely.  It would be nice to get an update.

It's really good, having Eric and Bill as primary contributors really makes it different.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1733 on: July 15, 2016, 07:05:40 PM »
November 11 release date for new NMB album (per Neal's tweet) .  Tried to copy or link to the tweet but was unsuccessful.  But that's all it really said, no other details.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1734 on: July 15, 2016, 07:25:20 PM »
Damn, not till then?  I had thought this summer was the original goal. :(

See, I don't get this.  It sounds like the album was all but done a month or so ago, and in this day and age, for the album to the not hit the stands till 4-6 months later is just madness.  Don't get me wrong, I am a patient guy and can wait, but for all of the hype behind it, to now know it's not coming for almost four more months is a bit of a letdown.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1735 on: July 15, 2016, 08:22:27 PM »
I can never tell when an album is "done" unless they officially say it's been mixed and mastered.  When MP started hyping it up as one of the defining albums of his career, they lyrics weren't even there yet (not to say there weren't any, or any ideas, but months later Neal would tweet about writing lyrics for it). 

Not bashing MP's hype, just think it's an interesting perspective.  At that point in time, it was stated that the basic drum tracks were done.  There's been little updates since then that I've seen.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1736 on: July 15, 2016, 08:31:40 PM »
I didn't realize there was an album coming out this year, so this is a pleasant surprise and I especially enjoy Neal's music in the winter anyway. How do you guys get this information? Twitter?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MS394

« Reply #1737 on: July 15, 2016, 08:49:42 PM »
Sure looks like quite the double album. It will surely be interesting  ;D

Surfing around Youtube, found out Neal Morse (and Dave Meros) played with Eric Burdon (apparently it was a well-known fact). There are some videos, Neal always seemed he had a lot of fun  :lol

BTW, A quick question: I just made my first purchase ever at Radiant Records.
Can they give out a tracking number? Or, is there a way to know where the package is located, on its way to the desired location?
Thanks in advance.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1738 on: July 16, 2016, 03:17:06 AM »
As long as it comes out this year, I'll be happy.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1739 on: July 16, 2016, 09:29:09 PM »
Personally, I am kind of relieved that it's coming out in November instead of September. This will give me time to let the new Marillion and Kansas albums sink in for a month and a half before diving into a double-disc concept album by Neal and the guys. Having all of those (potentially) great albums come out at once would've been tough for me, having to rotate them to try and get the most out of each of them.

Then again, I haven't really paid too much attention to the two double-disc concept albums that I bought earlier this year (DT's The Astonishing and Tiles' Pretending 2 Run), though I hope that won't be the case for the new NMB album when it comes out (especially as Neal is easily one of my favorite artists of all time).

This also gives me more time to save up for whatever special, super-duper limited edition will be coming out with a free signed freebie for the first X-number of pre-orders. I missed out on the signed setlists with Alive Again, but I've not been in too much of a hurry to get that live set quite yet (especially since so many other studio albums have come out this summer already).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1740 on: July 20, 2016, 08:33:58 PM »
Pulled this from the official Neal Morse website, posted last week:

"Welcome to the new website for The Neal Morse Band! This is where we will bring together the many elements of the Neal Morse Band world as they occur!

At present we are in the mixing phase of the new album. We are really pleased with the results. This is going to be a concept album which tells an epic tale presented on 2 CD's. The band dug in and brought to the surface a wealth of new ideas and musical symmetries! And what prog concept album would be complete without artwork by an artist known for some very well known prog album covers!

It is with great excitement that we are bringing everything together along with the largest world tour we have ever done to date in a forthcoming press release! Stay tuned for details!"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1741 on: July 20, 2016, 09:13:34 PM »
Pulled this from the official Neal Morse website, posted last week:

"Welcome to the new website for The Neal Morse Band! This is where we will bring together the many elements of the Neal Morse Band world as they occur!

At present we are in the mixing phase of the new album. We are really pleased with the results. This is going to be a concept album which tells an epic tale presented on 2 CD's. The band dug in and brought to the surface a wealth of new ideas and musical symmetries! And what prog concept album would be complete without artwork by an artist known for some very well known prog album covers!

It is with great excitement that we are bringing everything together along with the largest world tour we have ever done to date in a forthcoming press release! Stay tuned for details!"

Gonna guess it'll be Hugh Syme, but I could be wrong!

So I'm gonna guess that Neal took longer than he had originally anticipated with the overdubs because, up until a month or two ago, I think he was still recording vocals, and I guess things just took a bit longer than he (and everyone else) had thought, moving the release date from September to November.

Then again, mixing a full-on 2-CD Concept album could take awhile, especially since this will be Neal's first one since Testimony. I'm not counting T2 simply because the concept part of the album was only the 1st disc, and the 2nd disc was relatively short anyways. It's interesting to see Neal finally return to a solo concept album, his first since T2, but if we're counting NEW ideas (as T2 is a sequel), it'll be his first new concept since 2007's Sola Scriptura (as Lifeline, Momentum, and The Grand Experiment were all non-conceptual collections of separate songs).

I can't wait to see what kind of format he'll go with, if it'll be more like Snow/Testimony (with long stretches of segued songs), or perhaps like ?/The Whirlwind (huge pieces, divided into smaller movements), or an odd mix of songs (like One, with several epics, as well as shorter pieces of varying styles). Given Neal's penchant for writing a 20-35 minute epic on pretty much every album (going backwards, we've had "Alive Again", "World Without End", "Seeds Of Gold", and "So Many Roads"), I wonder if he'll include one this time, despite being a part of a larger concept?

-Marc.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1742 on: July 21, 2016, 09:26:27 AM »
Very much looking forward to this.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1743 on: July 21, 2016, 11:18:05 AM »
Not regarding the new album, but I just got a bundle of "Cover To Cover" and "Cover 2 Cover", and I have to say, I've already known him to be supremely talented, but I was blown away.  He sounded EXACTLY like David Bowie on "Rock 'n' Roll Suicide", and while he doesn't "sound like" Bono or Joe Jackson, he captured the perfect essence of both on "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "I'm The Man".   And I'm running off to figure out his take on the riff from "Pleasant Valley Sunday"...

I can see why Mike has invested so much of his professional time into Neal's music.

(Though by the way, Mike is a beast on that as well; he doesn't play anything like Larry Mullen, Jr., but he drives the shit out of that song, as well as "Feeling Stronger Every Day".)

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #1744 on: August 02, 2016, 10:00:20 PM »
A little late posting this, but I went to the Saturday night (Snow) gig for Morsefest. Long story short, I loved it. I have always been on the fence about Neal's music, but this show sealed the deal for me. He seems like such a genuine guy in every aspect. I met him after the show and he took the time to ask me my name, talk to me, etc. I told him that I really enjoyed the animated videos on the screens behind the band and that I thought they would make a cool Inner Circle release. He seemed at least receptive to this idea, saying something about "yeah, that would be cool." I didn't want to take up too much of his time, but he seemed like a very open and approachable person.

I've started buying more of his solo records since the show and man, have I missed out. I bought Testimony 2 back when it came out and I honestly hated it. I thought that it was preachy, wankery, and, well, just not for me. I may have to revisit that one because I love the One album, ?, and Momentum after purchasing them since the Morsefest gig.

Sorry for the long post, but I can't remember having this big of a musical "a-ha!" moment since I first started getting into Marillion several years ago.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1745 on: August 03, 2016, 10:05:05 AM »
Neal has to be one of the nicest guys in the rock music. Ever.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1746 on: August 03, 2016, 10:56:10 AM »
I've started buying more of his solo records since the show and man, have I missed out. I bought Testimony 2 back when it came out and I honestly hated it. I thought that it was preachy, wankery, and, well, just not for me. I may have to revisit that one because I love the One album, ?, and Momentum after purchasing them since the Morsefest gig.
I am a long-time NM fan, but Testimony 2 is probably my least favorite of his albums (along with Momentum).  Just hard for me to connect with, for whatever reason.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1747 on: August 04, 2016, 11:16:17 AM »
I am a long-time NM fan, but Testimony 2 is probably my least favorite of his albums (along with Momentum).  Just hard for me to connect with, for whatever reason.

Interesting. Was going to comment the opposite. T2 is my favorite Neal solo album. (Although you're right on with Momentum. Big dull dud.) T2 is definitely worth a second listen. :tup
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1748 on: August 04, 2016, 11:30:51 AM »

Interesting. Was going to comment the opposite. T2 is my favorite Neal solo album. (Although you're right on with Momentum. Big dull dud.) T2 is definitely worth a second listen. :tup

I'm the opposite. Don't love T2 but really like Momentum.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1749 on: August 04, 2016, 06:26:17 PM »
Even though I think T2 is up there One and ? as his best albums, almost all of his albums are so good that it is hard to argue with just about any order someone puts them in.  Well, except if they have Lifeline near the top. :biggrin:

Neal has to be one of the nicest guys in the rock music. Ever.

Amen to that. :tup :tup