Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539641 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1645 on: May 05, 2015, 07:19:31 AM »
I agree, it is fantastic.  The only real blemish is Agenda, but the two new songs on the bonus disc make up for that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1646 on: May 05, 2015, 08:46:20 PM »
See, I like Agenda, so to me, it's a credit to the album.  And hey, if you don't like it, it's only a little less than four minutes of the entire album, so there ya go. :biggrin:

Alive Again, to me, ranks among the best epics Neal has ever done...from any project.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1647 on: May 06, 2015, 02:53:34 AM »
In other news, I can't wait for the deluxe box set of Morse Fest 1. I'm not too sure if I'll be buying every deluxe boxsets of coming Morse Fests (if he continues to do them), but Testimony 1 and One is just too good of a bundle.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • Whats on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #1648 on: May 06, 2015, 04:00:03 AM »
This forum is awesome.  I didn't care for the new album, but I like Morse's tunes.  I skimmed through this thread and decided to give it another listen.  I can't believe I didn't like it the first time.  It's one of his best me thinks.  Thanks DTF.
Signature

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1649 on: May 06, 2015, 06:05:45 AM »
This forum is awesome.  I didn't care for the new album, but I like Morse's tunes.  I skimmed through this thread and decided to give it another listen.  I can't believe I didn't like it the first time.  It's one of his best me thinks.  Thanks DTF.

:tup :)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1650 on: May 06, 2015, 06:35:20 AM »
See, I like Agenda, so to me, it's a credit to the album.  And hey, if you don't like it, it's only a little less than four minutes of the entire album, so there ya go. :biggrin:
Oh, I agree.  It's so short that it's no big deal, especially with all the rest of the awesome that is present on the album.

Alive Again, to me, ranks among the best epics Neal has ever done...from any project.
I agree.  So good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1651 on: May 06, 2015, 04:06:26 PM »
I think getting a full-time guitar player aided the overall feel of the album big time.  Granted, Neal's electric guitar playing skills over the years have greatly improved, but still, having a full-time player, who sounds like a cross between Roine Stolt and John Petrucci, just makes it sound that much better. 

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1652 on: May 08, 2015, 06:16:38 AM »
I think getting a full-time guitar player aided the overall feel of the album big time.  Granted, Neal's electric guitar playing skills over the years have greatly improved, but still, having a full-time player, who sounds like a cross between Roine Stolt and John Petrucci, just makes it sound that much better.

I could not agree more  :tup

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1653 on: May 12, 2015, 06:49:27 AM »
I haven't listened to a Neal Morse solo album in a long time, so I decided to give this a try.

...I'm loving it! The only tune I haven't listened to enough to form an opinion on is the closing track, but the rest are stellar! The opening epic especially is awesome!

Oh, and this is awesome too.  :lol

Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1654 on: May 27, 2015, 02:27:15 PM »
Signed up for IC recently. Has the May CD Shipped out yet? Anyone get theirs?
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1655 on: May 27, 2015, 02:52:23 PM »

Got mine the other day..

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1656 on: May 27, 2015, 03:16:24 PM »

Got mine the other day..

Sweet. Hoping I get mine in the mail this week! Been looking forward to this one.

Anyone else hyped up for the MorseFest 2014 live release?! It'll be nice to have the (near-)complete Ltd. Ed. version of One LIVE! With the full band! Also, not like I needed a THIRD live version of Testimony live, but at least it's a different line-up this time, and I'm sure the performance is still something special.

I wonder if Neal will do a MorseFest in 2016, featuring Lifeline and Testimony 2? I kind of doubt it since Lifeline was his first major solo prog release that doesn't really hang together as a unified concept, and T2 was just played and released live not too long ago, with most of the original Testimony Live band from the 2003/2004 tour. I can't really see him duplicating that album performance again, only 5 years later, unless the shows has some REALLY good special guests (like Paul Gilbert, who Neal wanted for THIS year's MorseFest, but scheduling obligations did not allow him to participate).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1657 on: May 28, 2015, 12:27:13 AM »

Got mine the other day..

Sweet. Hoping I get mine in the mail this week! Been looking forward to this one.

Anyone else hyped up for the MorseFest 2014 live release?! It'll be nice to have the (near-)complete Ltd. Ed. version of One LIVE! With the full band! Also, not like I needed a THIRD live version of Testimony live, but at least it's a different line-up this time, and I'm sure the performance is still something special.

I wonder if Neal will do a MorseFest in 2016, featuring Lifeline and Testimony 2? I kind of doubt it since Lifeline was his first major solo prog release that doesn't really hang together as a unified concept, and T2 was just played and released live not too long ago, with most of the original Testimony Live band from the 2003/2004 tour. I can't really see him duplicating that album performance again, only 5 years later, unless the shows has some REALLY good special guests (like Paul Gilbert, who Neal wanted for THIS year's MorseFest, but scheduling obligations did not allow him to participate).

-Marc.

I don't think he'll be continuing the Morsefests for a couple of years. I'm guessing that after one or two other prog albums it's time for Lifeline and T2, although, I couldn't really care less about Lifeline. Well... maybe watching this band playing the entire album live could change that.

The new IC release is a live DVD right?

Oh and Marc, what's the other Testimony live version then? I can only think of the original live DVD.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1658 on: May 28, 2015, 07:29:03 AM »

Got mine the other day..

-Marc.

I don't think he'll be continuing the Morsefests for a couple of years. I'm guessing that after one or two other prog albums it's time for Lifeline and T2, although, I couldn't really care less about Lifeline. Well... maybe watching this band playing the entire album live could change that.

The new IC release is a live DVD right?

Oh and Marc, what's the other Testimony live version then? I can only think of the original live DVD.

Good point. I'm not too fond of Lineline myself, but with The Neal Morse Band playing it, they could really breathe some life into the songs, and if they play the two bonus tracks as well (9 in total), it could make for a good concert event. "So Many Roads" might be worth it alone!

And yes, AFAIK, the new IC Release this month is a DVD from the Alive Again tour.

The OTHER live Testimony release was from the IC, a 3-disc set recorded at the Whittier Theater:
https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/373-inner-circle-cd-live-in-whittier-set-1-march-2011.aspx
https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/375-inner-circle-cd-live-in-whittier-set-2-3-may-2011.aspx

This concert is special in that the encore is SLIGHTLY different. Instead of "We All Need Some Light" and "The Light", Neal plays "June" with his brothers Alan and Richard. Otherwise, the rest is the same (all of T1 and "Stranger In Your Soul" at the end), just a different show and venue. So yes, there are officially two/soon-to-be-three full releases of Testimony performed live.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1659 on: May 28, 2015, 07:53:33 AM »
And yes, AFAIK, the new IC Release this month is a DVD from the Alive Again tour.
-Marc.

Awesome. Caught the NYC show and it was so good. That'll be a great watch.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1660 on: May 28, 2015, 08:35:24 AM »
How good is the guality of these IC releases? Sonically and visually.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1661 on: May 28, 2015, 11:28:56 AM »
It depends, I guess. There are demo releases which are far from perfect, and there are tour-docu's and making of's that just didn't make the album but look like they could've. The live releases that I've got always have a 'official bootleg' sorta vibe, at best. You could compare it to Transatlantic 'Official live bootleg' DVD.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1662 on: June 05, 2015, 07:11:32 PM »
How good is the guality of these IC releases? Sonically and visually.

Basically, you're raiding the guy's vault. The releases vary a great deal. Sometimes work is put in to make them as good as possible and other times not.  The really old stuff, which he seems to not be concentrating on lately wasn't as good as the more recent music, (But that doesn't make it any less good  musically to me.) I guess these would be on the level of official bootlegs or demos.  Don't expect perfection, but there's really a lot to enjoy.  There's been a lot of live music released over the last year (which I like) and he released a bonus disc of songs that didn't make it on Songs From November not too long ago.

I wouldn't really suggest it unless you REALLY like his work.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1663 on: June 09, 2015, 11:53:35 PM »
So it's been over 2 years since my last one, but would anyone here be interested in another Neal Morse Survivor? I did one just after Momentum came out in 2012 and since then, Neal has released just one more solo album with The Grand Experiment. It's been nearly half a year since my last survivor so I'm itching to start another soon.

-Marc.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1664 on: June 10, 2015, 04:13:19 AM »
I'll pass the two albums before Testimony, but I will participate in all the other rounds. It would be really cool.  :tup

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1665 on: June 10, 2015, 07:58:14 AM »
So it's been over 2 years since my last one, but would anyone here be interested in another Neal Morse Survivor? I did one just after Momentum came out in 2012 and since then, Neal has released just one more solo album with The Grand Experiment. It's been nearly half a year since my last survivor so I'm itching to start another soon.

-Marc.
Sure, why not?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1666 on: June 10, 2015, 10:03:08 AM »
I'll pass the two albums before Testimony, but I will participate in all the other rounds. It would be really cool.  :tup

Have you ever listened to them? The first one is pretty good, and the multi-part epic is just as good as any Neal-era SB stuff that Neal did, just not with the boys in SB... Either way, the first one is pretty good, the 2nd not so much, but it's got a few good pieces on it.

-Marc.
Sure, why not?

:tup

Well, I've got two on board. If I get a few more responses today, I'll put up the main survivor thread in the Polls/Survivors forum and get started on it this week!

-Marc.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1667 on: June 11, 2015, 03:10:58 AM »
I actually haven't listened to them. Someone told me they're a bit like Songs from November, which was a nice little album, so it might be a good idea to check them out at some point.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1668 on: June 11, 2015, 10:41:16 AM »
I actually haven't listened to them. Someone told me they're a bit like Songs from November, which was a nice little album, so it might be a good idea to check them out at some point.

They aren't! Well, some of it is. Actually most of those albums are a bit like SfN, but the best part is A Whole Nother Trip. That song is just great. I'd really love to hear a live version of it once. Especially the final part is beautiful.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1669 on: June 13, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »
Just a heads up, my Neal Morse Survivor is now up and running! The first round for Testimony is active, and it'll be up for three days! Hope to see many of you folks in this thread voting over there! :tup

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1670 on: July 03, 2015, 06:24:19 AM »
Good interview with Neal:

https://entertainmentdrivethru.com/neal-morse/

It's about 40 minutes, but it's a little less vanilla than his usual interviews, as he is pretty open about his early days as a musician and how much trouble he had at first collaborating with others, like on the first TA record.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1671 on: July 03, 2015, 10:01:56 AM »
The hosts were REALLY annoying.  Good questions, but they simply could not resist the urge to talk over Neal and constantly cut in.  I know interviewing is not as easy as it may appear, especially when you are trying to juggle listening and asking logical follow-up questions that may be off script so that it sounds conversational vs. making sure to stay on track because of time constraints.  And I know that interviewing on air is especially challenging because you don't want dead air.  But it got ridiculous at quite a few points.  There were times when Neal was trying to say more, and they were cutting in on him constantly.  For example, around 20 minutes when Neal is talking about variations on the Testimony theme, and the guy cuts in and changes the subject.  :facepalm:  What a shame.  There was a lot of good stuff coming out in that interview, but it could have been absolute gold.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1672 on: July 03, 2015, 10:38:30 AM »
Heh, I thought that same thing early on.  The lady must have interrupted with, "Also...," like 10 times in the first half of the interview, and that is the problem with having two interviewers; not only do they have to let the interviewee talk, it's like the two interviewers are fighting for their own time.  And since the guy dominated the interview questions, the gal probably felt like she had to chime in whenever she felt a pause by either guy, so it struck me as more of a bad format than anything else.  One-on-one interviews are always better.  But yeah, there were definitely numerous times in this interview where I thought, "Shut up and let Neal answer the damn question!"

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1673 on: July 23, 2015, 04:12:19 PM »
Okay, so last night in Stockholm was pretty amazing, both Haken and The Neal Morse Band were on fire! Best show I've ever been to (fine, I've only seen DT thrice and Steve Vai once but they were all amazing shows as well). The energy Neal delivers on stage is just otherworldly, he even came down to the audience during Reunion and danced with us (he also handed me the mic for a line). An hour after the show me and my dad (who I went to the show with) was hanging out in the Hotel Lobby. I noticed a shadow moving by the elevators, I looked up to see Neal approaching us. I tapped my dads shoulder and mumbled in awe, "Well look who it is!", and Neal came towards us and said, "Hey guys!". Starstruck as hell, I stuttered "H...Hi guy..." And then we had an awesome chat with Neal and a couple of fans, Bill later approached us as well, super nice guy! And finally, we met Mike and got a picture with him.

Bottom line, best night of my life so far (and probably ever!!!) Cheers!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1674 on: July 24, 2015, 07:20:52 AM »
That's awesome!

Online Mladen

« Reply #1675 on: July 24, 2015, 08:13:38 AM »
That's awesome indeed.  :tup

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1676 on: July 31, 2015, 04:05:12 PM »
Okay, so last night in Stockholm was pretty amazing, both Haken and The Neal Morse Band were on fire! Best show I've ever been to (fine, I've only seen DT thrice and Steve Vai once but they were all amazing shows as well). The energy Neal delivers on stage is just otherworldly, he even came down to the audience during Reunion and danced with us (he also handed me the mic for a line). An hour after the show me and my dad (who I went to the show with) was hanging out in the Hotel Lobby. I noticed a shadow moving by the elevators, I looked up to see Neal approaching us. I tapped my dads shoulder and mumbled in awe, "Well look who it is!", and Neal came towards us and said, "Hey guys!". Starstruck as hell, I stuttered "H...Hi guy..." And then we had an awesome chat with Neal and a couple of fans, Bill later approached us as well, super nice guy! And finally, we met Mike and got a picture with him.

Bottom line, best night of my life so far (and probably ever!!!) Cheers!

Interview hasn't even started and I'm already annoyed by the beginning.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1677 on: August 18, 2015, 12:05:54 PM »
Checked my shipping number for MORSEFEST 2014 and it looks like I should be getting it in on Thursday or Friday! :metal

Cannot wait to check this out on Saturday (when I thankfully have the day off!). It's gonna be epic!

Also, September's Inner Circle disc will be a Making Of Sola Scriptura DVD!!! Now, the only album without a Making Of Documentary will be Lifeline, since the last 3 albums all came with those on DVD for special editions.

-Marc.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1678 on: August 19, 2015, 10:02:40 AM »
I've already seen people on Twitter getting their copies of Morsefest, and since I didn't preorder due to packaging mishaps the last time I preordered from RR, I'll check the stores tomorrow!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1679 on: August 19, 2015, 12:57:07 PM »
Best Buy hasn't shipped my Morsefest discs yet. I had some points to use so I got them nearly free.

*edit: just got shipping notification.  yipee!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 01:36:03 PM by Mindflux »