Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 544031 times)

Offline ronnibran

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1400 on: November 16, 2014, 07:33:28 PM »
<edit> new theory.  Maybe to perfectly fit the night two performance on 2 cd's they had to cut a short song, thus omitting Back To The Garden.  Who knows, just a thought.

If that's the case, they still could've played "Back To The Garden". It's only a five minute song. The complete One track list only runs about 95 minutes, and if "The Light" was about 15-20 minutes long, and "Stranger In Your Soul" was the usual 30-minute jam-extended version, that would be, at most, 145 minutes, and 2 CDs could hold 160 minutes total.

-Marc.

That sounds true, in theory!  Too close to call, though, the length of the actual concert was very close to the two cd mark.  Between talking between songs and just extended sections here and there throughout "One", nothing was really at a predictable length.  And with regards to my theory...  I don't really have a whole lot of stock in it anyway (with regards to omitting Back To The Garden).  The encore alone I think lasted an hour in itself (which would be about 40 minutes going by the album versions).

But yeah, by the time I left the concert it was for sure around the 160 minute mark (with no intermissions), so it's anybody's guess.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1401 on: December 02, 2014, 08:23:09 AM »
 For the first time ever prog icon Neal Morse came into a recording session with his long time friend and collaborator Mike Portnoy, Randy George, Bill Hubauer and Eric Gillette... with NOTHING! He had no prepared material at all. "I wanted to see what it would be like to create freely in the room with no preconceived notions. It was quite a risk! I made a lot of room for the other guys to create and express themselves and the result is outstanding! We wanted to experiment, do something a bit different, and see what everyone is capable of...we found out...in SPADES!" The results are obvious! This was a "grand experiment" that produced something far beyond anyone's expectations!

The main disc, containing 5 tracks, 2 long prog epics that are sure to be favorites for years to come, as well as 3 shorter songs including the catchy rocking title track "The Grand Experiment" is sure to blow the minds of all prog fans and appeal to anyone who loves hooky songwriting with virtuoso performances from some of the best musicians in the world.

North American Dates:

Feb 22nd - Nashville, TN - TBA
Feb 24th - Manhattan, NY - Highline Ballroom
Feb 25th - Montreal , QB - La Tulipe
Feb 26th - Quebec City, QB - L'Impérial de Québec
Feb 27th - Chicago, IL - Arcada Theater
Feb 28th - Denver, CO - Soiled Dove Underground
Feb 2nd - Los Angeles, CA- Westminster Theater

European Dates:

Mar 5th - Pratteln CH - Z7
Mar 6th - Zoetermeer NL - Boerderij
Mar 7th - London UK - Islington Assembly Hall
Mar 8th - Verviers BE - Spirit Of 66
Mar 9th - Paris FR - Divan du Monde
Mar 11th - Aschaffenburg DE - Colo-Saal
Mar 12th - Mannheim DE - Alte Seilerei
Mar 13th - Hamburg DE - Markthalle
Mar 14th - Bochum DE - Matrix

HAWWWT. I assume the date on the Los Angeles date is a typo though.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1402 on: December 02, 2014, 08:37:19 AM »
The main disc, containing 5 tracks, 2 long prog epics that are sure to be favorites for years to come, as well as 3 shorter songs including the catchy rocking title track "The Grand Experiment" is sure to blow the minds of all prog fans and appeal to anyone who loves hooky songwriting with virtuoso performances from some of the best musicians in the world.

That sounds an awful lot like Kaleidoscope in terms of album structure. Then again, Neal has been known to repeat certain album structures before... 4 songs with two epics (The Light, Bridge Across Forever, Sola Scriptura), 6 songs with one huge epic at the end (V and Momentum), an album-suite with 12 tracks/movements (? and The Whirlwind)...so I'm not entirely surprised.

Only five songs, though...I wonder if there will be any over-arching lyrical (or even musical) themes throughout the album, or if this will just be five songs, all standalone. I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for the track and pre-order details.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1403 on: December 04, 2014, 06:41:32 AM »
With the jam-approach of the writing of the album, I'm really expecting themes popping up all over the album. Instead of writing demo's over the course of an entire year (or more) all songs were written in that short time span. I think that that would lead to a musical concept album, especially when you have those guys aboard.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1404 on: December 04, 2014, 06:43:00 AM »
There is a good chance I will go to the NYC show.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1405 on: December 10, 2014, 07:11:36 AM »
Quote from: email
We are beyond excited to officially announce the coming of the highly anticipated Neal Morse Band album! The Grand Experiment, featuring the talents of Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy, Randy George, Bill Hubauer, and Eric Gillette, is sure to blow the minds of all prog fans and appeal to anyone who loves hooky songwriting with virtuoso performances from some of the best musicians in the world! Release date is February 10th, 2015, and pre-orders start here at Radiant, January 10th, 2015. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1406 on: December 10, 2014, 07:27:34 AM »
Quote from: email
We are beyond excited to officially announce the coming of the highly anticipated Neal Morse Band album! The Grand Experiment, featuring the talents of Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy, Randy George, Bill Hubauer, and Eric Gillette, is sure to blow the minds of all prog fans and appeal to anyone who loves hooky songwriting with virtuoso performances from some of the best musicians in the world! Release date is February 10th, 2015, and pre-orders start here at Radiant, January 10th, 2015. 

Nice cover! I'm getting a Hugh Syme vibe from it, though...in both a good and bad way. :lol I do like it, though!

January 10th for pre-orders?! Good! I have time to save up for it after Christmas/New Years/a couple paychecks later. I was hoping we'd get a tracklist sometime soon, but I'm ok with just the cover for now!

The question is...how do we count this in the discography? Will this follow Momentum on his solo career? Or do we become nitpicky and say this is the debut of The Neal Morse Band?? I think Neal himself is touting it as the latter, so if that's the case, then within a year's time, Neal will have released four albums from four different perspectives - Transatlantic, Solo, Flying Colors, and now The Neal Morse Band.

EDIT - Just saw the announcement in my email from Radiant Records. Here's the rest, and just-as-important information!!!

For the first time ever prog icon Neal Morse came into a recording session with his long time friend and collaborator Mike Portnoy, Randy George, Bill Hubauer and Eric Gillette...with NOTHING! He had no prepared material at all. Neal comments, "I wanted to see what it would be like to create freely in the room with no preconceived notions. It was quite a risk!" On previous albums, like the Testimony album for example, Morse had the entire album written in advance. "I used to be rather paranoid about whether things would turn out in the short space of time we had available...so I would fill all the space in advance!" This album was totally different. "I made a lot of room for the other guys to create and express themselves and the result is outstanding! We wanted to experiment, do something a bit different, and see what everyone is capable of...we found out...in SPADES!" The results are obvious! This was a "grand experiment" that produced something far beyond anyone's expectations! 

The Grand Experiment will be released in 3 formats:
Single Disc
3 Disc Special Edition Digipak (containing the main disc, bonus audio disc featuring 3 unreleased studio tracks and 2 live tracks from the Morsefest weekend, and a "making of" documentary DVD in special packaging)
LP + 2CD Set (containing main disc, and bonus audio disc)
The main disc, contains 5 tracks, 2 long prog epics that are sure to be favorites for years to come, as well as 3 shorter songs including the catchy title track "The Grand Experiment." Mixed by Rich Mouser.

Track Listing:
1. Following the Call
2. The Grand Experiment
3. Waterfall
4. Agenda
5. Alive Again

I'm guessing "Following The Call" and "Alive Again" (the tour's title!) are the two long prog epics, with the other 3 as the shorter songs.

Also, it looks like I am going to be getting the 3-Disc Special Edition Digipak. I wonder if the 3 unreleased studio tracks are the 3 other songs they worked on (because I recall Randy saying on FB how they had like 7 or 8 songs written). Interesting to see that we're getting 2 live tracks from Morsefest - I wonder what they'll be!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:33:59 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1407 on: December 10, 2014, 07:52:29 AM »
3 disk edition here.  No brainer.  :lol

And I just want to add that Neal is pushing the saturation theory to its limits.  I am completely saturated on Neal Morse, and have been for some time now.  ...and I will still buy anything he puts out, and be simultaneously happy for the new release and pissed that he doesn't slow down.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1408 on: December 10, 2014, 08:05:12 AM »

And I just want to add that Neal is pushing the saturation theory to its limits.  I am completely saturated on Neal Morse, and have been for some time now.  ...and I will still buy anything he puts out, and be simultaneously happy for the new release and pissed that he doesn't slow down.

:rollin This is too true. I think next year, though, will probably a slower year for Neal. He'll tour his new album, then probably release a live Flying Colors album, then a live album (5/6-disc extravaganza!) from the Alive Again tour. I don't see TA doing another album again until at least 2017, and FC until 2016 or later. In fact, I'm sure he'd probably do another solo/NMB album before either of those, but who knows! He could start ANOTHER band/project for all we know!

Either way, like you, I'll still buy anything that gets released with his name on it. Truly a remarkable man with a great track record of wonderful music!

-Marc.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1409 on: December 10, 2014, 08:09:24 AM »
Instead of releasing a bunch of albums in a year, he should focus so that energy into I've project to make it really awesome. His albums this year were good but also a lot if weak moments. You could probably make a great compilation album out of the three of them. I imagine this will be similar.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1410 on: December 10, 2014, 08:22:29 AM »

:rollin This is too true. I think next year, though, will probably a slower year for Neal. He'll tour his new album, then probably release a live Flying Colors album, then a live album (5/6-disc extravaganza!) from the Alive Again tour. I don't see TA doing another album again until at least 2017, and FC until 2016 or later. In fact, I'm sure he'd probably do another solo/NMB album before either of those, but who knows! He could start ANOTHER band/project for all we know!

Either way, like you, I'll still buy anything that gets released with his name on it. Truly a remarkable man with a great track record of wonderful music!

-Marc.

IMO, each of his projects brings something different to the table, and I like them all for different reasons.  But for his solo material, I doubt he will ever touch what I consider my "big three":  Testimony, One, and Sola.  Those three albums are about as close to musical perfect as it gets for me. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1411 on: December 10, 2014, 08:28:59 AM »

Pissed there's no 3 disc edition + LP bundle (so far)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1412 on: December 10, 2014, 08:30:52 AM »
The 3 disc is enticing.

But can I be the first to request no more studio covers?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1413 on: December 10, 2014, 08:34:45 AM »
I don't think there are any covers.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1414 on: December 10, 2014, 08:39:44 AM »
Good, but it has seemed to be a staple for prior Morse/Portnoy/George get-togethers.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1415 on: December 10, 2014, 09:04:18 AM »
Good, but it has seemed to be a staple for prior Morse/Portnoy/George get-togethers.

True. Morse and Portnoy (and eventually George) were always having fun doing covers. They did a couple for Testimony, four for One, seven for ?, and four for Lifeline, but they haven't done any with MPG since that album in 2008. It's hard to separate MPG doing covers from TA because in 2009, they did four for The Whirlwind and then whooping eight for Kaleidoscope.

As far as solo Neal Morse, his last two major prog albums haven't had any covers, Testimony 2 and Momentum.

It's good to see that they did decide to release the other 3 songs from the studio sessions, though. I'm sure Neal didn't want to hold back any b-sides from the sessions, unless they were covers (like he did with the ? sessions, though those were later released on MPG's Cover To Cover).

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1416 on: December 10, 2014, 05:52:53 PM »
Neal Morse Band or not, this is still essentially solo Neal Morse to me, so just like I label everything that Devin Townsend does as just 'Devin Townsend' in my iTunes, this will be just 'Neal Morse.'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1417 on: December 10, 2014, 06:19:36 PM »
It will be Neil Morris in my iTunes.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1418 on: December 10, 2014, 07:11:56 PM »
Yeah, like how Bob Seger has the "Bob Seger System" and "and the Silver Bullet Band", or how Paul McCartney had Wings, it'll probably just go into my library under Neal Morse.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1419 on: December 11, 2014, 01:33:01 AM »
3 Disc version, totally. The making of's are totally worth buying the deluxe editions.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1420 on: December 11, 2014, 05:53:01 AM »
True. Morse and Portnoy (and eventually George) were always having fun doing covers. They did a couple for Testimony, four for One, seven for ?, and four for Lifeline, but they haven't done any with MPG since that album in 2008. It's hard to separate MPG doing covers from TA because in 2009, they did four for The Whirlwind and then whooping eight for Kaleidoscope.

As far as solo Neal Morse, his last two major prog albums haven't had any covers, Testimony 2 and Momentum.

It's good to see that they did decide to release the other 3 songs from the studio sessions, though. I'm sure Neal didn't want to hold back any b-sides from the sessions, unless they were covers (like he did with the ? sessions, though those were later released on MPG's Cover To Cover).

-Marc.

Sounds like you haven't heard Cover2Cover. There's seven covers from the Momentum sessions, plus the five from Lifeline (including the unreleased King Crimson cover of "Starless"). Now you know. :biggrin:
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1421 on: December 11, 2014, 07:17:46 AM »
The album cover looks familiar, as well as the structure of the album (five songs, two epics). I'm really looking forward to it, though.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1422 on: December 11, 2014, 09:41:28 AM »

-Marc.

Sounds like you haven't heard Cover2Cover. There's seven covers from the Momentum sessions, plus the five from Lifeline (including the unreleased King Crimson cover of "Starless"). Now you know. :biggrin:

I mentioned Lifeline, but I did forget about "Starless" as it wasn't on the album itself. As for the Momentum session covers, I'll admit to forgetting about them as I don't typically listen to the Cover albums by MPG. But yes, there were 7 of those.

In that case, Neal, Mike and Randy had not done covers between 2008 and 2012 for those album sessions, so it was over 4 years in-between, although with TA's covers, in 2009 and 2014, it feels like we've gotten more from Neal (and Mike) than from just the solo Neal albums.

Back to the topic of The Grand Experiment, I went back and read Randy's Studio Updates from back in mid-September and I'll share what he posted here:
September 13 ·
Well off to record a new Neal Morse Band album with Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy, Bill Hubauer and Eric Gillette! I leave out in the morning! This will be the longest session we have ever had together! But writing most of it from scratch so it might take a little longer! I am very excited about the possibilities!
September 17 · White House, TN ·
Well day 2 has ended and we have finished mapping out an epic song. It started as a piece that we put together last November in the first writing session. It was about 20 mins long and we basically cut a few parts out and replaced them with some of Eric's ideas. It was a bit if a challenge but I think in the end it will be great! There are several great ideas to work with and we will be mapping out some new ones tomorrow. For those not seasoned in the recording arts, we have to create a demo of the song for Mike to track drums with. After a few days of mapping out songs we will get final drums tracks and begin re-recording the instruments! I will get some pictures for the next entry.
September 18 ·
Day 3 wrap up: We spent a good part of the day continuing work on the big epic piece. We had a nice arrangement but in the morning Neal felt that it needed more fire to keep all y'all going at the start! So we drafted a new section starting with a riff from one of my demos. We kept going with it and it turned out quite amazing! Later in the day we moved on to a couple other new songs. One was a song Bill had and we tackled it... it has a really cool funky vibe to it! Then Neal had an idea for a Song and we tackled that... with Mike's direction it took an interesting turn and wow! Can't wait for you to hear this album! We have 2 other songs that were already mapped out waiting in the wings which brings us to a total of 5 songs. we have more to work on today so by the end of the day I think we'll have the album mapped out. We begin tracking final drums tomorrow!
Day 4 Wrap up: The day started with Eric, Bill and Neal working on a tune that Bill wrote called Waterfall. It's a really nice piece that is mostly just acoustic guitar and voices... with some cool keys to be added later. The three part vocals are mesmerizing! Once Mike showed up we fixed up a couple things from yesterday and moved on to a new piece. We started with a couple things we wrote last November in the writing session. The funny thing is by the end of the night not much remained of the original ideas as it had developed into something really cool! As of now we have 9 solid songs for the record. Tomorrow we begin tracking final drums for the songs. I believe Mike finished one of the songs already. So there are 8 left to get drum tracks on. We have til Sunday night when Mike has to leave. The rest of us will stay on a few more days to work on some things. I might finish a couple bass tracks before I leave... but I want to take most of the tracks home where I have more options for Bass sounds. So far it's shaping up really nice. We definitely ventured into new territory! There are great songs on this record for sure!
September 19 ·
Day 5: Well today started out with a few more tweaks to the song we completed last night. Once that was out of the way Mike started tracking final drums to it. The more he played through the cooler it became. It really took shape. When we first mapped it out I was really skeptical as it sounded like a mess of disjointed ideas... but we persevered and it became an extremely cool song. Sometimes the best things are born out of great pains! Anyhow Mike got all the drums done on the track and started into the 30 minute epic... why is there always a 30 minute epic? Anyway I digress. So here at the end of the day Mike all of a sudden got this major inspiration to do something at the top of the song in the intro! Something about Xanadu... but I'll just leave it at that! Anyhow there are about 7 more songs left and most are much shorter so we should get through quite a bit tomorrow! One thing you can expect is... while we probably won;t do any covers... one of the main tracks will be a remake of a song from 1969 (?) and it is pretty cool! You wouldn't know the song from hearing our remake but you would know it by the lyrics of course but the music is totally progged out! I will say while everyone here is amazingly talented... Bill Hubauer is a particular genius when it comes to creating an arrangement! His contributions to this record are phenomenal! Eric Gillette is on fire and brings some incredible guitar work as well as his own brilliant arrangements! One of my favorite moments on the album is from his demo! I can't wait to get this thing mixed and out! And better yet... I can't wait to hit the road with it! Dates are being sorted out as we speak! Of course that will be in 2015! I'm toast so back to my hotel room and chill and watch some Netflix and then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....!
Day 6: The day started with Mike and Jerry working on what had already been tracked... just dialing it in better. Then Mike jumped into a couple new things. The first is an 11 minute roller coaster ride that Bill arranged of a classic song from 1968. yeah it's a cover but not in the usual sense. This one, while based on the themes of the original sound nothing like the original. You're probably saying...what? Yes one of the main songs is a remake. Not a bonus disc feature... Both Mike and Bill felt strongly about that and Neal went for it... The other song is one of the shorter more poppy songs that has a bit of a funky / sludgy feel to it. It is a cool song though! Think Simon and Garfunkel meet the Hollies, but definitely a little more proggy than that. We settled on 7 songs of the 9 that were on the table. We would do all 9 but the 7 add up to about 70 minutes or so. The verdict is still out on whether or not there will be a bonus disc. But Mike flies out tomorrow night so it will depend on how much we accomplish. The 7 songs is the priority. I think we have drums for 6 in the can as of now. The rest of the week will be the 4 of us writing and recording some bits that are still blank but now have drums that will dictate what happens in those spaces. Things like riffs and unison phrases that tie parts together. Neal has also been working on lyrics as we work. Anyhow that's about it for now. Things are winding down so maybe I'll add one more update in a couple days depending on if there is anything interesting to to tell!
September 24 ·
Final wrap: I'm headed back to LA tomorrow! It's been a long run! But what a great album in the making! Everyone brought such a great vibe and attitude toward it and remained really open to ideas! I tracked bass last night to one of the songs with the working title of the Great Experiment. It's a drop D vibe and I used my friend Mark Roberts 8 String Kramer! I also used my Tech 21 NYC Red Ripper pedal to get that low grungy King's X kind of vibe to it. Really cool song. What's funny is that Neal wrote it the second day and of course it had a real Neal sort of vibe with the keyboard and what not... Mike said he wanted to hear the main riff on guitar so Eric rocked it on guitar and it totally opened up the song... Mike was really instrumental in the direction it went from there! Neal probably never expected his idea to take that direction! But he loves it now! I think he's excited as so many things are different than what he normally goes for. But he has been great in letting things take shape as they seem to want. In the end he knows it will be for the best! I have stems copied onto my thumb drive and I can't wait to dive into them at home! I already plan to use my Wilkins 65 P Bass on a couple of songs! Unfortunately I am not sure I'll have much time before the Flying Colors tour starts! Everyone flies into LA on Sunday night to start rehearsals on Monday! I might find some time next week to knock a couple things out... but the bulk of it won't happen til I get back from Europe. Same for Neal. Eric is getting married and honeymooning so he won't get to things until about the same time. Bill is the only one that can start working on things right away! It will be good to have his finished tracks to work with though! We are trying to get it all done by Nov 1st to hand off to Rich for mixing! Anyhow I look forward to coming in a blasting through the new Bass Amp we just got here in the studio! It just arrived today! It's an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro with a 4 x 10 cab and a 1 x 15 cab! I bought one too so I'll have to un-box it when I get home as mine arrived while I have been here! Hopefully I'll have time to take it over to the rehearsal studio to make some noise this weekend!

So judging by these posts, we can see a few facts:
-They had written 9 songs, but the final album only has 5, with 3 on the bonus disc. Where's the 9th song?!
-Randy says there were 7 songs as a priority, so I wonder which 2 got cut from the album?
-The two epics are of the 20~ minute and 30~ minute length.
-And if 7 songs added up to 70 minutes, with 50+ of those from 2 epics alone, the remaining 3 songs add up to less than 20 minutes.
-"Waterfall", which made it to the album, was a song by Bill.
-At least one song was brought in by Eric as a demo.
-"The Grand Experiment" was once called "The Great Experiment", written by Neal in studio.
-One of the tracks is an 11-minute cover of a 1968 song, arranged by Bill. Not sure if this track made it to the album or not, but Randy said Mike and Bill really wanted it for the album and he says it would be included, but we can deduct that it's title is either "Agenda", "Following The Call", or "Alive Again".

That's all I've got for now. Can anyone figure out what the cover song is and who it's by now that we know the tracklist?

-Marc.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1423 on: December 11, 2014, 03:08:02 PM »
That's strange, I thought I saw the entire timeline of Waterfall via Neal's Tweetsecret. From early demo's to writing lyrics. I really thought it was cool that you could follow the path from idea to full song. But apparently it was Bill's idea. I don't know what to think of that cover though, but we'll see.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1424 on: December 18, 2014, 07:04:16 PM »
Thanks to BurningShed for posting their pre-order page for Neal's new album, now we have MORE information regarding this upcoming sure-to-be-masterpiece!

https://www.burningshed.com/store/InsideOutMusic/product/523/6345/

Featuring Neal Morse and his long-time friend and collaborator Mike Portnoy, The Grand Experiment contains 5 tracks, including 2 epics that highlight Morse's accessible song writing as well as providing a showcase for some stunning virtuoso performances.

Special edition double cd with making of dvd in digipak.

Pre-order for February 16th release.
preorder ($29.55 USD)

Tracks
CD 1:   

1. Following the Call (10:15)
2. The Grand Experiment (5:30)
3. Waterfall (6:32)
4. Agenda (3:45)
5. Alive Again (26:42)

CD 2:   

1. New Jerusalem (Freedom is Coming) (6:50)
2. Doomsday Destiny (5:27)
3. MacArthur Park (10:50)
4. The Creation (Recorded Live at Morsefest) (18:15)
5. Reunion (Recorded Live at Morsefest) (9:23)

DVD:

The Making Of The Grand Experiment (44.39)

Interesting that when their original press-release came out from Radiant Records, I suspected the first and last tracks to be epics, but not 10 and 26 minutes. Maybe I'm used to expecting MORE from Neal? :lol

I was thinking a 15-20 minute epic opener, and a 30 minute epic closer, but what we have doesn't look too shabby either. The main album looks to be a rather SHORT 52:44. I think this is his shortest album since the ? album. The 3 non-album bonus tracks add up to 23:07, so they really could have been on the main album (totalling to 75:51). I wonder what made Neal/the band decide to hold back 3 tracks from the main album?. Hmmmm...either way, my CD-r copy will contain all 8 songs on it since it'll fit.

Also, now we know the mystery cover song, which eventually did NOT make the final main album - "MacArthur Park"!!! And it's a 10-minute epic now! WHOA! I cannot wait to hear that. I'm not tangentially familiar with the original, so this might be a real treat for me!

I'm also a bit confused as to why we got "Reunion" from the One set? I understand getting "The Creation" as we haven't had a live recording of that with Mike and Randy (or the rest of the band), but Neal released "Reunion" on his Testimony 2: Live In Los Angeles album a few years back. I kind of wish we had gotten "Help Me / The Spirit And The Flesh", or "The Man's Gone", or "Father Of Forgiveness". Ah well, beggars can't be choosers. Hopefully they'll release the WHOLE One concert at some point, or at least the other tracks that aren't "The Creation" and "Reunion".

Anyways, feel free to discuss. I'm excited for this album! Eight new Neal Morse songs (well, 7 and a cover) to digest and love!

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1425 on: January 03, 2015, 03:05:12 PM »
There is a good chance I will go to the NYC show.

I'll be in New York if Rush doesn't announce a tour first.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1426 on: January 03, 2015, 06:50:15 PM »
Only a week until pre-orders begin at Radiant records.  Makes me think they'll release the video they have ready probably sometime next week?  Just a guess.  I guess I don't really care when they do, I'll have the whole album next month already :)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1427 on: January 03, 2015, 08:04:57 PM »
Only a week until pre-orders begin at Radiant records.  Makes me think they'll release the video they have ready probably sometime next week?  Just a guess.  I guess I don't really care when they do, I'll have the whole album next month already :)

Neal did mention that he'd have the video out around the time of pre-orders, so I'd assume sometime next week. I gotta wake up early on next Saturday to pre-order. I wonder if there will be any specials announced, as he does, with the first XXX-number of orders, like a signed album, or a signed poster, or just a plain poster of the album art, etc. etc.

Either way, I'll be getting the Super Special Limited Deluxe Edition with all the works...which I think just comes down to the album, the bonus disc, and the Making Of DVD documentary, which is all fine and dandy enough for me.

I'm still itching to hear their 10 minute cover of "MacArthur Park" that Bill brought in. And of course, "Alive Again" as the album's closing epic - I wonder how it will stack up against the likes of "World Without End", "Seeds Of Gold" and "So Many Roads"? I expect an overture, a main theme that's repeated twice (once in the middle, again at the end), an acoustic guitar section, and a piano solo. :rollin

-Marc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1428 on: January 06, 2015, 10:36:24 AM »
TGE Preorder moved to Jan 13th. Neal forgot the 10th was a Saturday.  :rollin

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1429 on: January 06, 2015, 11:19:12 AM »
TGE Preorder moved to Jan 13th. Neal forgot the 10th was a Saturday.  :rollin

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Great. Meanwhile, Burningshed still has their pre-orders up, although their release date is February 16th, 6 days later than Radiant's release date.
https://www.burningshed.com/store/InsideOutMusic/product/523/6345/

I'm still waiting on Radiant's prices and if there's going to be any incentive(s) for pre-ordering, as there usually is.

-Marc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1430 on: January 06, 2015, 01:48:13 PM »
TGE Video being released tomorrow too.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1431 on: January 06, 2015, 01:48:17 PM »
I'm just going to buy the cd in a store. Not making the same mistake again as with TA's new live album. If I want to buy the deluxe edition, I want to buy the deluxe edition. Not some sort of cheaper version. I want to be able to check the packing before I buy.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1432 on: January 06, 2015, 04:58:46 PM »
I'm just going to buy the cd in a store. Not making the same mistake again as with TA's new live album. If I want to buy the deluxe edition, I want to buy the deluxe edition. Not some sort of cheaper version. I want to be able to check the packing before I buy.

Did you order through Radiant? I warned everyone here that Radiant's version would be cheaper compared to Inside Out's sturdier version. The same thing happened with Whirld Tour 2010, and the same thing happened again with KaLIVEoscope.

The only reason I ordered from Radiant was to get the signed lithograph, which is pretty fantastic, but I still plan on getting the Inside Out version eventually.

As for studio albums, I think IO does digibooks while Radiant usually does jewel cases or digipaks that unfold. Take Momentum for instance:

Here's Radiant's version, a tri-fold digipak that folds up in itself, with the booklet sliding into the pocket of the front cover (left panel)

Here's Inside Out's version, which features a larger-sized digibook with the booklet stapled into the book-case.

However, having ordered it from Radiant, I was able to get my copy signed by Neal, Mike and Randy, all on the front cover. I kind of like the standard-sized digipaks better since they look nice with all the jewelcases of the same size. The digibooks are sturdy and nice for what they are, but the OCD-part of me likes all the albums to "look" the same, and so all of my Neal Morse stuff has come from Radiant, mostly because I pre-order on the 1st day to try and get their incentives (typically a free poster, signed, or the album signed).

I like Neal's work a lot, but I haven't gone out of my way to get Inside Out's versions of his albums. And I feel a bit better than the money I spend on Radiant's website pretty much goes straight to Neal and his band(s). There are a few times where I'll buy a product from Radiant and later get the nicer version from Inside Out (Transatlantic being the main reason), but as for Neal's solo albums, I'm fine with what they produce.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1433 on: January 07, 2015, 08:20:44 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JkEf9qsAYE

New music video for the album's title track! Reminds me of classic SB for some reason.

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1434 on: January 07, 2015, 08:31:13 AM »
That was kinda ordinary. Neal's strength have always been the epics, so I can't wait for the full album.