Author Topic: Sevendust's up and coming 8th album  (Read 4975 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Sevendust's up and coming 8th album
« on: October 27, 2009, 01:09:37 PM »
It's in progress, and here's the first video from the studio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esnOtSzWC_M

I'm a Sevendust fan, and I'll be the first to admit they're a buncha hicks. :biggrin:

And another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flxKcD22X7M

The notable features of this video: some small snippets of maybe a riff or two that we might hear, and Morgan's drum set.  The second bit is notable because I'm so used to seeing MP's drum village that I'm looking at this thing and thinking, "...That's it?" :lol

And then there's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/user/officialsevendust#p/u/23/KTehy1MsrQ0

They're just jamming to Van Halen, but my God, those drums rock hard.

One more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJgsSH2BgGE&feature=player_profilepage#

Drum tracking, the full song by the looks of it.  Damn that's brutal.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 01:42:44 PM by Super Dude »
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Sevendust's up and coming 8th album
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:33:54 AM »
Huge fan here. Going to see them this week.  :metal :metal

They are playing the two songs they've already put out there from the new record, Unraveling and Forever Dead. Can't wait for the show. LIstening to Seasons right now. This will be my sixth or seventh time seeing them live. No band has the energy of 7D.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:39:54 AM »
I need to do my homework on these guys . . .

I really enjoyed the first album.  It has a great, raw energy and even if the songwriting isn't top notch, it's a really rockin' record.  There are a few songs I dig from the second and third records, but they felt tame by comparison.  I picked up Seasons on a whim (not sure if that's number 4 or 5) and thought it was boring as hell, so I then checked out.  Haven't heard anything else by 'em.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 09:50:04 AM »
If you enjoyed the first album, then I'd explore their music chronologically.  Their sound has changed in some surprising ways through the years, and if you don't follow it from one album to the other, you'll find yourself wondering what the hell happened.  My first album was Seasons, the fourth album, and going from that to the heavier stuff was surprise enough (but I was really into melodic metal then so I didn't mind).

Unraveling sounds a lot like something that might've been on the last album.  Hopefully the rest of the album won't be like that.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:39:10 AM »
Sevendust channeled the melody found in songs such as "Prayer" and "Bitch" and made that a signature part of most of their songs, in the middle of their crazy, ridiculously good riffage.

My favorite albums from them are (in order)

Alpha
Animosity
Home
Seasons
Next
Chapter VII: Hope and Sorrow
Self-Titled

>>>>Alpha was just amazing. Really aggressive, and it was a themeatic album that flew over the heads of most listeners. Great channeling...one voice singing to another (voices in his head), it was just a dynamite record.

I became a fan with Home once I heard it, although the first album I bought was Animosity. I saw them for the first time on tour in support of that (Hartford, CT - Webster Theatre, day before THanksgiving, 2000).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 02:36:20 AM »
Wow, ranking Sevendust's albums? That would be impossible for me.

That's my main problem with this band: Every once in a while they blow me away with their catchyness, heaviness and immediate musical attack. But a few songs in, it just begins to sound all the same. And Morgan's screams were really starting to annoy on 'Alpha'.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 06:16:01 AM »
Yeah, I actually thought their two most recent efforts were their worst.  I even favor Seasons over Alpha.

a few songs in, it just begins to sound all the same.

This however, in my opinion, is missing on those first five albums.  Especially the first four though.  Which is probably why I love them so much.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 08:46:45 AM »
Yeah, I actually thought their two most recent efforts were their worst.  I even favor Seasons over Alpha.

a few songs in, it just begins to sound all the same.

This however, in my opinion, is missing on those first five albums.  Especially the first four though.  Which is probably why I love them so much.

Yeah, they kinda peaked early. Licking Cream is such an incredible song.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 09:02:34 AM »
I think Next gets a lot of undeserved crap; in my opinion it's one of the best Sevendust releases, period.  It was for Sevendust what Octavarium was for Dream Theater.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 11:30:06 AM »
Show last night was good. Wish they'd get a better sound mix though. Eighth time seeing them, and each time, they are mixed like a wall of sound. Too loud.

But good set, albeit the usual 7D short headline show 75-80 minutes. They did "Forever Dead" live, which was great, but confused me why they cut "Unraveling," given that it is the single at radio and being promoted right now. That was just strange.

Next is a transitional record. With how light Seasons was, Next ramped up the intensity a bit, even with a couple of ballads on it. I think it has some good tunes, but I wouldn't put it higher than many of the others. Hero, Pieces, Ugly and Desertion are my favorites from it.

Alpha to me went over the heads of most people. One listen to Burn should explain it all. Really epic, one of, if not the best bridge in a song ever recorded (dripping with emotion), the thrashy first part, then the piano ending...and overall, the concept of the record...a man losing his mind. In the record you have John, LJ and MOrgan all being difference "voices" of the individual talking to themselves at times.

Most 7D fans that I;ve talked to just don't get that record. 7D went over their heads. And I'm not meaning to offend, I'm sure folks here "got it." But man, that record is just epic and emotional in all definitions of the terms. Unbelievably creative and powerful album. One of my favorite albums of all time by ANY band.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 11:43:33 AM »
Show last night was good. Wish they'd get a better sound mix though. Eighth time seeing them, and each time, they are mixed like a wall of sound. Too loud.

But good set, albeit the usual 7D short headline show 75-80 minutes. They did "Forever Dead" live, which was great, but confused me why they cut "Unraveling," given that it is the single at radio and being promoted right now. That was just strange.

Next is a transitional record. With how light Seasons was, Next ramped up the intensity a bit, even with a couple of ballads on it. I think it has some good tunes, but I wouldn't put it higher than many of the others. Hero, Pieces, Ugly and Desertion are my favorites from it.

Alpha to me went over the heads of most people. One listen to Burn should explain it all. Really epic, one of, if not the best bridge in a song ever recorded (dripping with emotion), the thrashy first part, then the piano ending...and overall, the concept of the record...a man losing his mind. In the record you have John, LJ and MOrgan all being difference "voices" of the individual talking to themselves at times.

Most 7D fans that I;ve talked to just don't get that record. 7D went over their heads. And I'm not meaning to offend, I'm sure folks here "got it." But man, that record is just epic and emotional in all definitions of the terms. Unbelievably creative and powerful album. One of my favorite albums of all time by ANY band.

Whenever I'm listening to that record, I'm always thinking about that guy who's praising this album so much on DTF. Now I remember, it's you!

Seriously, it's pretty good, but one of the best albums ever? I'm glad it means so much to you, but I can't really hear it.

Deathstar is a bangin' tune though. And indeed, Burn is pretty impressive.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 12:13:55 PM »
Pixel,

:lol

yep, that's me. :) I just found so much ear candy in that album. My wife is a hardcore 7D fan as well and it's her favorite too.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 12:20:58 PM »
Pixel,

:lol

yep, that's me. :) I just found so much ear candy in that album. My wife is a hardcore 7D fan as well and it's her favorite too.

It's pretty brutal for 7D, that's what I like about it. I'll put the record on tonight when I'm chilling with a friend, he tolerates metal as long as the melodies are good. I think 7D fits that description better than most!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 12:21:23 PM »
Huh, I didn't realize Alpha was a concept album.  Granted I've only heard the album from beginning to end only once and that was the week it was released.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 12:28:25 PM »
Huh, I didn't realize Alpha was a concept album.  Granted I've only heard the album from beginning to end only once and that was the week it was released.

It's a loose concept, more themeatic. It's a story (part autobiographical of Morgan Rose) of a man losing his mind due to events in his life. It's not the most groundbreaking concept in the world, but it was really executed well - an example...John is singing one point of view in one of the songs, then Lajon comes in, in this sweeping background vox that starts in the left channel and sweeps to the right, so you have those "voices in my head telling me to do something different" vibe going on.

If you really sit with the lyrics and just immerse yourself in it, it's pretty damn creepy and cool.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 12:09:07 PM »
TODAY IS COLD DAY MEMORY!   :metal :metal :metal :metal

Reviews have been glowing. I treated myself to a sneak listen of "Splinter" last night.   :o :o :o :o

Unbelievably good. I can't wait to get the album in a little bit.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 12:14:05 PM »
I couldn't tell.  I kinda liked Splinter and Karma, as well as a couple of tracks towards the end, but so much of it sounded like the previous album.  I'd much rather hear an album that tried something new.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 03:49:07 AM »
Idk.. so far it sounds more generic than 7D already has sounded. For the first time, the emotions sound forced and maybe not even real. I don´t believe them somehow, on this record.

The production is as pumped up and compressed as possible, where are the dynamics?

And there was absolutely nothing wrong with Mayo on the previous records. IMO Next was pretty good, Alpha a bit better, and on Chapter VII they got the balance between aggressive and melodic down to a tee.

This is just generic rock radio music, and Splinter is the ugliest noise I've ever heard the band make.

Offline tbw2445

• I live a life based on good intentions...
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 03:52:59 AM »
Idk.. so far it sounds more generic than 7D already has sounded. For the first time, the emotions sound forced and maybe not even real. I don´t believe them somehow, on this record.

The production is as pumped up and compressed as possible, where are the dynamics?

And there was absolutely nothing wrong with Mayo on the previous records. IMO Next was pretty good, Alpha a bit better, and on Chapter VII they got the balance between aggressive and melodic down to a tee.

This is just generic rock radio music, and Splinter is the ugliest noise I've ever heard the band make.

I couldn't disagree with you more, but you're entitled to your own opinion and I respect that. To me, this album is amazing. I don't think the emotions feel forced at all and they sound real.
i'm learning all about my life by looking through her eyes

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 03:56:50 AM »

I couldn't disagree with you more, but you're entitled to your own opinion and I respect that. To me, this album is amazing. I don't think the emotions feel forced at all and they sound real.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I will try to give it more listens, I'm sure my liking of it will improve a bit.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 05:02:36 AM »

I agreed with you completely up until there.  If you ask me, Chapter VII is the worst offender, this new one aside.

This album is all the same power melodies, all the same power chords, all the same structure as its predecessors.  It's so uninspired and unoriginal.  Next showed so much promise, and this album barely lives up to the Sevendust name.

Oh, and Clint should go back and revive Dark New Day.  Now there's a band I really miss.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:17:25 AM by Super Dude »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 10:39:22 AM »
Interesting reactions. I find the album to be very dynamic -- defining that term as an album that has a lot of different stuff going on. Lots of guitar solos (for them), good melodies, heavy riffs, the usual Sevendust formula. BUT, they really made it a point to incorporate Clint's vocals, and it makes the album jump out for me.

My favorite 7D album is Alpha, but this record seems like a mix of Animosity, Seasons and Alpha, with the added bonus of guitar solos.

Diggin' it.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 06:41:50 AM »
I´m kinda diggin´ it as well now. I think the vocal harmonies are excellent, the songs are catchier than ever, and the guitar solos are good and well placed. Even the super compressed, commercial production doesn´t irritate me that much anymore.

But structure-wise, this is pretty much the same in every song. Too bad. Not a fan of that kind of mindset.

And I don't know why people have problems with Chapter VII, I thought it was easily the best album with Mayo.

I thought Inside, Enough, Hope, Scapegoat etc. were all pretty awesome songs. Scapegoat is just groovy as hell, and Hope shows a very harsh, ambitious side of the band. OK.. the power ballads. Well, I don't really mind them, the album is heavy enough in the other songs.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 07:04:56 AM »
I don't think *people* have problems with Chapter VII so much as I have problems with it. :D

I dunno, I just feel like the songs on both albums have been exactly the same.  Even Alpha had a formula.  It just feels to me like Sevendust has just decided to stop innovating with their sound.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 11:32:14 AM »
My official review of Cold Day Memory for The Breakdown Room:

www.breakdownroom.net/sevendust-cdm.html

I think Hope and Sorrow has a few good tracks, absolutely. Love Inside, dig the tune with Myles Kennedy as well. Not a ton of hate for the record, just don't like it as much. I think it has a few good songs, and then it sounds like a bunch of just average material.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2010, 10:38:47 PM »
I disagree, I think Cold Day Memory is a pretty cool album (Not close to Alpha or Seasons, though). And Splinter is a really good song. At least it's better than Chapter VII; I only liked two or three songs from that album.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 06:22:46 AM »
I mean honestly, the reason I disagree is because I don't hear any difference between CDM and Chapter VII.  All the choruses on either album sound the same, all the riffs and solos are the same...the only "original" thing they did on CDM was that intro to Karma.

Actually on the subject of Sevendust, does anyone know of any newer bands that are like them?  Like I've been getting into Living Colour a lot lately and I love them because I can really hear how they influenced Sevendust's sound.  Now I wanna get into a band that may have been influenced by Sevendust in turn.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2010, 07:32:24 AM »
SuperDude,

Did you see my feature article on Living Colour published last week? I interviewed Corey Glover - www.breakdownroom.net

As for Cold Day Memory, it has faded for me. I still like it better than H&S, absolutely. More good songs. And it's more dynamic. The problem is, it just doesn't have staying power. My favorite three tracks are the first three on the album.

Alpha is by a landslide, my favorite 7D album. The theme, the time put into it, the passion, is just there. It's a shame that now that Clint's back, Morgan has sorta made all the non-Clint albums sorta like the red-headed stepchildren. Simply put, Sevendust is better with Clint, but Alpha, without Clint, was the band's most interesting record.

As for bands like Sevendust, I haven't heard any. Not to the extent Sevendust goes with the huge melodic side and then ridiculously heavy parts -- all in the same song. I know the band thinks SNOT was the "West Coast" version of 7D, but I would disagree. SNOT sounds nothing like Sevendust.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2010, 09:09:47 AM »
Should we perhaps create an official Sevendust thread? :laugh:

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2023, 11:37:49 AM »
Upcoming SEVENDUST's boxset

https://lotsofmuzik.com/sevendust-unveils-enormous-box-set-named-seven-of-sevendust/

Holy thread bump, Batman!

If I were going to pick 7 albums, those would NOT be my choices. Sheesh.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2023, 12:19:52 PM »
Alpha and Kill the Flaw are two of 7D's best in my opinion!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2023, 05:58:55 PM »
Alpha and Kill the Flaw are two of 7D's best in my opinion!

I LOVE Alpha, but Chapter VII and Cold Day Memory are probably my two least favorite.

I mean, it's 7dust, so nothing they've released is awful, but I remain confused by the albums selected for this box set.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2023, 08:39:04 AM »
Chapter VII is probably their weakest to me, yeah. Cold Day Memory is probably in the middle of the catalog somewhere for my tastes.