I suppose this is really aimed towards Statesiders, but I'll answer where I can:
What Political Party or Affiliation? : Donít really have an affiliation, but I suppose I would consider myself more aligned with the left. Iím a free-marketeer, but Iíve also got a sensitive side lol
What religion (or lack thereof) are you affiliated with? : Atheist through and through.
What is your stance on:
- Abortion: I can see its uses, but I can see it being abused also. Good under certain circumstances.
- Gay Marriage: Not for me, but I canít see why not in modern society.
- Health care: Itís a sad state of affairs in the US. I could write forever on this, but Iím of the view that where affordable, the state should provide a basic social safety net for its citizens including healthcare to be funded by a progressive tax regieme. Thereís the lefty coming out in me
- Gun control: I donít think thereís such a thing. Guns are bad and personal use should be outlawed.
- Illegal Immigration: In Australia, theres a veritable shitstorm every time we get a boat of 40 illegal migrants rocking up on our shores. Its not that big a deal people get over it! However, illegal immigration is bad when there are proper channels to migrate.
- War (Iraq/Afghanistan/War in general): War can on occasion be justified. Afghanisatan: Yes, Iraq: No, Libya: (assuming no foot presence) Yes.
- Seperation of Church and State: Absolutely. The church has no place in Government, and the Government has no place in church.
- Climate Change/Global Warming: Cap and Trade all the way baby.
- The UN: Is a bit bloated and doesnít get anything done as a result. Noble in its intentions though.
- Restrictions on curses on television: No friggin way. Its freedom of expression. If we are talking about exposure to kids here, its up to the parents.
- Corporate welfare: Interesting, probably worth its own thread of discussion. If corporations expect welfare when times are bad they should pay on the way up.
- Private Charity: Absolute necessity.
- Public Welfare: Read above, basic social safety nets are almost vital for economies. Again, worth its own thread.
- Death Penalty: For horrible crimes, pro. But, its got to be uniform and also not decided by lawyers.
- Stem cell research: Most certainly pro.