Author Topic: Anybody know what period Squier was actually a decent sub. for Fender?  (Read 8305 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Anybody know what period Squier was actually a decent sub. for Fender?
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 07:56:09 PM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2009, 07:57:28 PM »
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 07:59:08 PM »
Ok, stop with the face palming...why does CC tune down?

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 07:59:23 PM »
OK, the riff is the most important and the tuning and the amp is also very important...Think about this...The riff for Man in the Box (which I personally believe is one of the best and most simple riffs fall time) is stupid heavy...now tune the guitar to C...It is the same riff, but it went from 95% heavy to 195% heavy...

I totally disagree. I think playing that riff in C would make it sound woofy and just another dime a dozen low-tuned guitar riff.

and

women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 08:01:17 PM »
OK. I fail, stop it goddammit!

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2009, 08:03:16 PM »
found this and had to use it

My Soundclick Page

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2009, 08:04:57 PM »
Ok, you're clearly not getting what we're saying. Tuning down, a good amp/guitar etc, all of these things can help to make something sound better in the right context, but they can only make something that's good sound better. Using them like "OMGZORZ DROP-A = INSTANT METAL  :metal :metal :metal :metal" is not the way to approach songwriting. Focus on writing something that can sound good regardless of what it's being played on, then worry about what effects to use, what tuning, instruments, etc.

Oh, and:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2009, 08:06:58 PM »
Thank you sigz

That is what I have been saying. I do not go in thinking that is = insta metal but if the riff is good, an awesome amp and tuning down could possibly make it better. And writing shit is weird. i don't know what I am writing therefore I can never right a verse.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
And writing shit is weird. i don't know what I am writing therefore I can never right a verse.

???

Offline Fuzzboy

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2009, 08:12:49 PM »
And writing shit is weird. i don't know what I am writing therefore I can never right a verse.

???
women cops are a joke

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
My Soundclick Page

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2009, 08:13:52 PM »
I can write intro's, bridges, outro's, sorta kinda solo's, but I can't ever write shit where there is a singer because I just don't know what it would sound like...do I play notes, power chords, chords...I kinda just get a block when it comes to verses.

Also, if I am writing a metal tune...which type of metal am I writing...if it death, then I should play all power chords, but then I don't like it, if it just normal heavy metal, I can't play power chord cause it doesn't sound right over a singer...I just get mind fucked when trying to right shit like verses...I know its weird.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2009, 08:14:50 PM »
don't think so much and just play.

the other guitarist in my old band had the same problem.
My Soundclick Page

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2009, 08:15:34 PM »
Really, I thought it was just a fucked block with me...what was he like? What did he say and do and shit like that?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2009, 08:19:05 PM »

Pretty much this.

When I first started writing music I constantly had expectations of what I should be writing - prog, metal, etc. And I soon found myself turning to cliches to try to fall into that category - throwing in odd time signatures that contributed nothing to the song, drop tuning to be 'metal', etc.

I'm past that now, and far happier with what I've been writing, even though it's nothing like I would have expected it to be when I first started. But now I feel like I'm actually expressing myself/being creative, rather than trying to mimic some other band. Don't worry about what kind of music you're writing, just write. I think you'll find yourself much more satisfied with the result.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
Well he knew next to nothing about theory (I'm not sure where you are at with theory), but he didn't know notes, keys, scales, etc.  He could write intro riffs well, but he could never write a verse.  I tried to help him so many times but I never could get through to him.

Theory is important if you don't know it.  You don't need to know everything about it, but know the basics.

Take a look at some of the metal bands you like and examine the structure of their verse riffs.

And remember that once vocals are placed over a riff, it will usually sound a lot better.  Don't worry about the vox beforehand though.  In my old band, we (and by we I mean me) wrote all the music first (we were a progressive/technical death metal band).
My Soundclick Page

Offline Fuzzboy

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2009, 08:21:42 PM »
Really, I thought it was just a fucked block with me...what was he like? What did he say and do and shit like that?

"Writer's block" happens quite a bit to me. Don't force it. Not even a little bit, because if you do, when you listen back to what you wrote, you'll be disappointed. I just stop writing when I run out of ideas.

I remember when I was writing a song, I had everything but the outro. I left it alone for about 3 weeks and I let those ideas build up, and I've been happy with the finished product ever since.
women cops are a joke

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2009, 08:21:48 PM »
In my old band, we (and by we I mean me) wrote all the music first (we were a progressive/technical death metal band).

The Dagger Rebellion right? Are you guys not together anymore?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2009, 08:23:06 PM »

Pretty much this.

When I first started writing music I constantly had expectations of what I should be writing - prog, metal, etc. And I soon found myself turning to cliches to try to fall into that category - throwing in odd time signatures that contributed nothing to the song, drop tuning to be 'metal', etc.

I'm past that now, and far happier with what I've been writing, even though it's nothing like I would have expected it to be when I first started. But now I feel like I'm actually expressing myself/being creative, rather than trying to mimic some other band. Don't worry about what kind of music you're writing, just write. I think you'll find yourself much more satisfied with the result.

I am not trying to write anything...I kinda just sit there a noodle and I start playing shit and I am like, "Wow! This would be a cool intro," and I would fiddle with that for a couple minutes and then come to a point where I will think to myself, "Fuck! I would need a singer here...what to do...what to do" I like to play a lot of shit...Hell this morning I was trying to play Take It On The Run (really easy by the way) while listening to Slayer...it's definitely not the what to write, but the how.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2009, 08:25:13 PM »
Well he knew next to nothing about theory (I'm not sure where you are at with theory), but he didn't know notes, keys, scales, etc.  He could write intro riffs well, but he could never write a verse.  I tried to help him so many times but I never could get through to him.

Theory is important if you don't know it.  You don't need to know everything about it, but know the basics.

Take a look at some of the metal bands you like and examine the structure of their verse riffs.

And remember that once vocals are placed over a riff, it will usually sound a lot better.  Don't worry about the vox beforehand though.  In my old band, we (and by we I mean me) wrote all the music first (we were a progressive/technical death metal band).

Double post I know. But with theory, I am learning...I am not really knowledgable yet, but I do have a bases in some stuff...

My guitar teacher is like Vai good in theory so he throws it in any chance he gets.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2009, 08:26:22 PM »
In my old band, we (and by we I mean me) wrote all the music first (we were a progressive/technical death metal band).

The Dagger Rebellion right? Are you guys not together anymore?

Ha I'm surprised you remembered the name.

Nope, not together.  We spent over a year looking for a drummer that could play the stuff I wrote.  We found someone who was perfect, and after a month, he wasn't into it anymore.  So I got sick of it, and everyone else pretty much felt the same way.  It was pretty much 99% my music anyways, so I'm going to contine to record the song ideas I have left, then move on to a different style.  After three years of playing tech death, I kind of want to be in a non-metal band for awhile.  Playing the kind of music we were is exhausting.
My Soundclick Page

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2009, 08:27:49 PM »
@73109

There's really no other advice besides keep at it and continue to learn theory as you go.  Your songwriting will get better with time.
My Soundclick Page

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2009, 08:31:13 PM »
Also, my lack of verses is due to my lack of lyrics, which is due to my lack of creativity, so...yeah...I find it hard to match the mood of a song to non-existing words.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2009, 10:10:55 PM »
Funny enough, I've been playing guitar for over 6 years now and my first guitar was a Squier strat, one of those starter packs. To this day it doesn't have the best tone but man the playability on the guitar is just unbelievable, I upgraded guitars almost immediately, and have had many over the years but I always go back to my Squier to practice. I set it up just the way I want it and it's great.

I think I'm going to mod it to set up like David Gilmour's strats are set up.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2009, 11:08:11 PM »
wow. this thread turned into:

https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2009, 07:41:03 AM »
Jeez, I know. And it started off so well.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2009, 04:10:56 PM »
my dad has a squier from the 80s and it feels just as good as a fender.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2009, 07:38:07 AM »
:therearenowords:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2009, 11:41:57 PM »
Drop tuning is for people who can't write a heavy riff in E-Standard. Seriously, tuning has little to nothing to do with it. It's more to do with the key signature of the riff. I can play a D-Minor riff on an E-Standard guitar. Low E and F = Instant Demonic Heavy Riff.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline HamBungler

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2009, 12:07:22 PM »
Drop tuning is for people who can't write a heavy riff in E-Standard. Seriously, tuning has little to nothing to do with it. It's more to do with the key signature of the riff. I can play a D-Minor riff on an E-Standard guitar. Low E and F = Instant Demonic Heavy Riff.

Not always. Alternate tunings are amazing, and drop tunings, if used correctly, can be used to open up different scale and riffing patterns and more accessible licks.  For example, using a tuning such as Open C major puts all the major scales into box patterns which make it really useful for shredding and tapping licks, as well as making more simple songwriting a breeze, and I'm in the camp that the easier it is to get the music out, the better and more natural sounding the end product's gonna be. However, it certainly makes it a bitch to do conventional sweeps, but if you've ever tried it out if you use some of the regular sweep shapes it makes for some weird dissonant sounding patterns that are simply tasty. With 7 strings its even more fun because you have the extra low G, plus 7 string sweeps are just ridiculous.