Author Topic: Motley Crue: the good and the bad?  (Read 12575 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Motley Crue: the good and the bad?
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:53:04 PM »
A rather controversial band that's so steeped in its self-image that it's sometimes difficult to take these guys seriously. Their shenanigans are perfect tabloid fodder, and usually the type of stuff that's a total turn-off to me.  But then when I listen to some of Motley Crue's music, I can't help but  :metal    Not exactly stellar musicians (another strike against them in my book), but some of their stuff's got some serious attitude. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Motley Crue: the good and the bad?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 12:56:14 PM »
Yeah, it's the only glam metal band from the 80's I can stand. They actually have some great songs, like "Too young to fall in love", "Looks that kill", "Wild side", "Kickstart my heart" and "Dr Feelgood".

:metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DTBiker

• Stewart that fat puppy
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 01:03:27 PM »
Their first two albums (Too Fast for Love and Shout at the Devil) were brilliant even if the production lacks a little.  Since then, the consistency has dropped a bit but still pretty good music.  Tommy Lee is the hero of the band... he's one of the best hard rock drummers and makes the Crue a much better group than they are without him.  Just listen to anything they've done with that other drummer for proof.  I'm not a HUGE fan but I do enjoy most of their stuff.  Then again I went to high school in the 80's so I grew up on hair metal.   :metal
Mine is the shiny city on a hill and yours, of course, are the colors that fill it
So put your hand in the hand of mine and we'll spread this love like dandelions...

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 01:15:34 PM »
TFFL is a pretty decent album.  Red Hot is a bad ass song.  Every single thing they've done otherwise is complete shit. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DTBiker

• Stewart that fat puppy
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 02:22:01 PM »
Tommy Lee on the double kick drums!!   :metal

TFFL is a little bit ragtag but its raw, hungry, deperate, sleazy and real.  Much like GnRs Appetite was.  Albums like that can't be replicated because the success, fame and fortune from them take away the thing that drove them.  Angry desperation. 
Mine is the shiny city on a hill and yours, of course, are the colors that fill it
So put your hand in the hand of mine and we'll spread this love like dandelions...

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline prog.fusion

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 03:07:57 PM »
they've had a couple good albums and some great songs, but it just seems silly now....

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 05:31:55 PM »
their good ive never heard a full album from em thoe

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 09:08:34 PM »
their good ive never heard a full album from em thoe
Lamb of God fan, huh?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 09:15:06 PM »
The first 5 albums were pretty good (although Girls Girls Girls was the worst of the bunch).  Dr. Feelgood was a good bounce back for them, but it's been down hill ever since then.  I don't have anything since Dr. Feelgood, so can't really comment too intelligently.

Yeah, it's the only glam metal band from the 80's I can stand. They actually have some great songs, like "Too young to fall in love", "Looks that kill", "Wild side", "Kickstart my heart" and "Dr Feelgood".

:metal

Really?  There's a bunch of good ones ... Skid Row, Tesla (debatable to call them glam), Whitesnake, Harem Scarem, Slaughter, Warrant, White Lion (again debatable to call them glam).  Some only had one or two good albums, but they were pretty good.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 09:18:23 PM »
The only album I like is the s/t. The singing, riffage and drumming there are just so fucking awesome.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 10:54:54 PM »
Shout at the Devil owns you all.  That album is chock full of badass riffs.

You can't go wrong with their Greatest Hits collection as well - these guys are the best of the glam bands, by far.  I've seen them 3x, once from the front row. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 09:31:01 AM »
Yeah I remember 'SatD', I was in High School (1982/83) and I was the only guy who had the record.
I taped it, loaned it out and was a pretty popular album of the metalheads at school.
I thought the band were girls at first, from the picture on the album.

The MC book is a brilliant read, how they ever survived must be a miracle.
They even admit that, they were so wasted during recording of,' Theatre Of Pain' and that the album was a pile of shit.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 09:43:27 AM »
TFFL came out during my Freshman year. That and Shout At The devil are great old 80's albums. I thought Dr. Feelgood was very good as well. But I really don't care for Theater or GGG. I saw them 3 times back in the 80's. In 85, 87, and 89. They were great shows, very fun. I was never a huge fan, but they were always real interesting. I haven't read the book yet, but I am planning on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol