Author Topic: The Anthrax thread  (Read 22690 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Anthrax thread
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2016, 03:11:59 PM »
I Love ATL, but it was definitely a departure from STD.

What about Persistence Of Time?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2016, 03:27:12 PM »
PoT is a great album.

Just saw the lyric video from the link in this thread (months behind I guess).  It seemed middle of the road in the grand Anthrax catalog.  But I hate that I saw a picture of people in a cage in a river or lake.  Up until that point, I had only heard about ISIS drowning people in a cage.  I don't want to see that sick sh*t.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2016, 03:47:31 PM »

Never listened to it. The only post ATL album I gave any time to was Sound of White Noise, which didn't do anything for me except for Black Lodge. Played Worship Music once I think. Don't remember anything about it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2016, 03:57:51 PM »

Never listened to it. The only post ATL album I gave any time to was Sound of White Noise, which didn't do anything for me except for Black Lodge. Played Worship Music once I think. Don't remember anything about it.

Oh man, I hated Black Lodge. :lol

You should give POT a chance. Gone is the goofiness of ATL and State Of Euphoria. It opens with three bona fide Anthrax epics, The title track, Blood Brothers and Keep It In The Family.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2016, 04:14:31 PM »

Oh man, I hated Black Lodge. :lol

You should give POT a chance. Gone is the goofiness of ATL and State Of Euphoria. It opens with three bona fide Anthrax epics, The title track, Blood Brothers and Keep It In The Family.

Will give it a go tomorrow.

Calvin6s

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2016, 04:31:46 PM »
My favorite PoT (and probably Anthrax song) is
Intro to Reality - Belly of the Beast

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2016, 04:50:45 PM »
Apart from Spreading the Disease I wouldn't call myself an Anthrax fan

I was very disappointed in ATL back in the day following on from STD. Not played it in years, probably since the year it came out.

Agree with all of that , although I do really like some stuff on Persistence of Time.

Will check out this new one,.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2016, 04:07:23 AM »
This new release is Awesome!!

It might be tough to top WM, but this one may have a chance!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2016, 11:13:35 AM »
I was a follower from all the way back from StD.  StD was my favorite until PoT came out.  That album is brilliant, and it's still my favorite Belladonna album. 

But Sound of White Noise is my all time favorite front to back Anthrax album.   There's nothing on that album I don't think is brilliant.   Black Lodge is so creepy and awesome.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2016, 07:54:06 PM »
Nothing will ever top StD for me; but these last two releases are really close!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2018, 06:22:14 PM »
These last two albums are absolutely brutal. Need to go back and check the back catalog since I never really got into them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2018, 07:01:12 PM »
Nice bump, Flux!

I've been on a Classic Belladonna era kick for a couple of weeks now. Been really digging the Kings Among Scotland live album. Sounds great.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2018, 08:09:50 PM »
I LOVE this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf01Dg-GKeY

This was the tour opening for Maiden, which I saw in NJ and Providence. To me, this was their peak. They followed this tour with the Clash Of The Titans run, and then a tour with Public Enemy.

Scott Ian has explained dropping Joey because he was writing more angry music, but I never understood a band dropping their singer at their peak.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 08:16:04 PM by TAC »

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2018, 03:13:46 PM »

PoT is my favorite Joey-era Anthrax record. It's heavy, dark, a bit proggy with tempo changes, they just really killed it on that record.

Among the Living gets all the love, but for me, it is Persistence of Time.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2018, 04:24:38 PM »
Love Anthrax. Later thrax is the best of all later big thrash band output. Grew up on StD. What a record. They're underrated, imo. The rhythm section is unique and incredible. No one else sounds like that.

John Bush is a God. Loved Volume 8, SOTW, Go2E. Grew to like John more than Joey. Shame no Bush on recent records but the last two albums have been very very good despite this.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2018, 04:30:05 PM »
I played Belly of the Beast on the podcast and most seemed to hate it from memory.  Good to see some love for PoT but for me nothing touches Spreading The Disease - almost perfect melodic thrash.   Among The Living is very over rated IMHO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2018, 07:13:42 PM »
I would say that Spreading The Disease is from front to back my favorite album of the classic Joey 4. The rest of them for the most part are half and half. Though I thing Persistence Of Time's high points (Keep It In The Family, Blood Brothers) and pretty damn awesome.

Among The Living has some great tracks: The title Track, NFL, Caught In A Mosh, Indians, I Am The Law
And State Of Euphoria, for all of the beatings it gets is pretty decent.

The last two albums they have made with Joey, Worship Music and For All Kings, are great!

The rhythm section is unique and incredible. No one else sounds like that.

Frankie and Charlie are amazing. Amazing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2018, 07:46:56 PM »

And State Of Euphoria, for all of the beatings it gets is pretty decent.

Not a great fan of the album but if I had to pick one Anthrax track that was the "sound of my childhood" then it would be Antisocial.  I didn't realise it was an obscure cover until decades later..

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2018, 07:50:29 PM »
It has some great tunes on it.
Be All End All
Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind
Now It's Dark

And one of my all time faves from that era..Finale
"I drink three 6-packs just so I can look at your face."

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2018, 01:30:34 AM »
Big Anthrax fan here.

Spreading The Disease and Among The Living are classics for me. State Of Euphoria and Persistence Of Time are mixed bags, some good tunes, some not so good ones.

From the Bush era, Stomp 442 stomps all (TAC will agree), so aggressive and so different from their other work. We've Come For You All is also very good (TAC will not agree  :biggrin:). Sounds Of White Noise is mediocre and uninspired and Volume 8 is very uneven and messy, alot of filler, but it has with Crush, Carthasis and Inside Out some of the best tunes right at the beginning.

Worship Music and For All Kings are as good as the classics and Joey's voice is incredible, one of the few singers that got better with age imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2019, 11:02:22 AM »
Holy canoli! I just interviewed Frankie Bello during lunch time today. He has a new album out with Dave Ellefson under the moniker Altitudes and Attitude. It's more like a Foo Fighter kinda sound with some heaviness here and there, but VERY melodic. I love this album, and there are some great guests in it: Nita Strauss, Ace Frehley, Gus G...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2019, 08:09:56 PM »
From the Bush era, Stomp 442 stomps all (TAC will agree), so aggressive and so different from their other work. We've Come For You All is also very good (TAC will not agree  :biggrin:).

You know it bro!

Sounds Of White Noise is mediocre and uninspired and Volume 8 is very uneven and messy, alot of filler, but it has with Crush, Carthasis and Inside Out some of the best tunes right at the beginning.

I was initially disappointed with SOWN but it has really aged quite well. Has some great tunes like Hi Pro Glo and Invisible. Volume 8 is indeed all over the place but Catharsis is amazing.

Holy canoli! I just interviewed Frankie Bello during lunch time today. He has a new album out with Dave Ellefson under the moniker Altitudes and Attitude. It's more like a Foo Fighter kinda sound with some heaviness here and there, but VERY melodic. I love this album, and there are some great guests in it: Nita Strauss, Ace Frehley, Gus G...

I love Frank Bello, and Dave Ellefson for that matter. Two of the coolest dudes in metal. Just watched the video to late, and you're right. A total Foo Fighters vibe.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2019, 11:21:39 AM »
For me, the best Belladonna record is Persistence of Time, then Worship Music, and then Among the Living.

Give me those three, then the rest. I think For All Kings is pretty good too, but not among those three.

As for the Bush era, its hard to separate for me. I think Volume 8 is the weakest, but still pretty good. If pressed, I'd probably go:

White Noise
Stomp
We've Come For You All
Vol. 8

Again though, as a whole, I prefer Bush by a mile to Belladonna. Completely a better frontman, and I enjoy his voice a lot more. Brings some toughness and grittiness to Anthrax.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:50:41 PM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2019, 11:30:38 AM »

PoT is my favorite Joey-era Anthrax record. It's heavy, dark, a bit proggy with tempo changes, they just really killed it on that record.

All of this, absolutely.

I love Worship Music as well. In The End is one of Joey's best tracks.

I'm a huge 'Thrax fan. Have just about everything. Seen them with Bush and with Joey. Actually, I was able to catch the reunion tour with Joey and Dan Spitz. That was magical for me as it was something I never thought I would see.

Joey is always my guy but I love John too.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2019, 11:47:58 AM »

All of this, absolutely.

I love Worship Music as well. In The End is one of Joey's best tracks.

I'm a huge 'Thrax fan. Have just about everything. Seen them with Bush and with Joey. Actually, I was able to catch the reunion tour with Joey and Dan Spitz. That was magical for me as it was something I never thought I would see.

Joey is always my guy but I love John too.

I saw that reunion tour as well. Actually it's pretty funny because I caught one of the last Bush dates when they were promoting The Greater of Two Evils in 2005 in Rio, with Joey Vera on bass and Rob Caggiano on guitar. A few months later I saw them in Sydney with a completely different lineup - Dan Spitz, Frankie and Joey back on. I didn't really dig that reunion show though, for some reason it seemed the band wasn't 100% tuned in on that particular date. The DVD that came out from that tour was great though. But fast forward to 2011, and I saw them on the Worship Music - one of the most intense shows I've ever been to. They crushed it!!!

One of the rarest Anthrax shows I've seen was the short tour in 2009 where Dan Nelson was already out, and Bush came in for like ten shows only. I caught them in Perth, on the Soundwave Festival, and what an awesome show that was!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2019, 12:50:37 PM »
I've seen the JB reunion lineup several times in the last couple of years and they've been great. I'm probably still more of a Bush kind of guy, but JB is still putting on a good show. I got to see them open for Maiden on the Book of Souls tour, as well as a one-off headlining show last year during the Slayer's first farewell tour. Both were oddball gigs and great fun. The headline gig actually had the most 80's vibe of any show I've been to since, well, the 80's. The place was full of smoke. The band went on late. Their house music was a Bon Scott era greatest hits. Drunken rowdiness. It really did seem like a flashback to seeing them on the ATL tour.

Looking at Setlist.FM, it looks like I've probably seen them ten times or so, which kind of surprises me and kind of doesn't. It actually filled in a black hole in my memory of a show I went to with a girlfriend and couldn't for the life of me remember which one. That shit has hounded me for probably ten years. Anthrax, Helloween, and Exodus. One of those gigs I'd completely repressed from my memory. Strange when that happens.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2019, 01:09:38 PM »
I remember that tour. It was a Headbanger's Ball tour. For some reason that I cannot explain, I did not go.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2019, 02:35:12 PM »
Lineups I've seen:

2005 - Rio - John Bush, Joey Vera, Rob Caggiano, Scott Ian, Charlie Benante
2005 - Sydney - Belladonna, Frankie Bello, Dan Spitz, Scott Ian, Charlie Benante
2009 - Perth - John Bush, Frankie Bello, Rob Caggiano, Scott Ian, Charlie Benante
2011 - Belladonna, Frankie Bello, Rob Caggiano, Scott Ian, Charlie Benante
2016 - Belladonna, Frankie Bello, John Donais, Scott Ian, John Dette
2017 - Belladonna, Frankie Bello, John Donais, Scott Ian, Charlie Benante

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2019, 02:56:47 PM »
This is going to hurt my brain:

2003 - Bush, Ian, Caggiano, Vera, Benante
2006 - Belladonna, Ian, Spitz, Bello, Benante
2011 - Belladonna, Ian, Caggiano, Ian, Benante
2012 - Belladonna, Ian, Caggiano (I think), Ian, Benante
2014 - Belladonna, Ian, Donais (I think), Ian, Benante

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2019, 03:12:39 PM »
w/ Joey
1-21-91 Brendan Byrne Arena (opening for Iron Maiden)
1-25-91 Providence Civic Center (opening for Iron Maiden)
7-6-91  Great Woods, Mansfield (w/ Slayer, Megadeth, AiC)

w/John
5-21-93  Axis, Boston
8-13-93  The Strand, Providence
4-21-94 Lupo's, Providence
11-25-95  Avalon, Boston

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2019, 03:25:25 PM »
I'm actually having a pretty hard time piecing together when I've seen them. The ones I'm sure of:

ATL-Metal Church opened
SoE-Helloween and Exodus opened
Clash of the Titans
SoWN-White Zombie opened.

skip ahead 25 years

FAK-Opened for Maiden
FAK-Testiment opened
FAK-Opened for Slayer

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of more in there, openers or festival gigs. Just unsure of who, what, and where.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2019, 03:41:58 PM »

I saw this tour in Providence and I have to say this...WHITE ZOMBIE WAS AMAZING!!

I wasn't into their album, but holy shit they absolutely smoked.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2019, 05:12:21 PM »

I saw this tour in Providence and I have to say this...WHITE ZOMBIE WAS AMAZING!!

I wasn't into their album, but holy shit they absolutely smoked.
I did like their first album, and back when they were an industrious touring band I thought they were an excellent show. Neither quality lasted very long.

That show was actually at a seldom used bandshell in Fair Park, which is about the second strangest place a band can play in Dallas. The first being the Six Flags amphitheater (as opposed to the Six Flags parking lot, which was legendary). It was actually pretty cool, though. It was a lovely night with nice breeze, and there was a cool ramshackle feel to the whole thing.
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2019, 10:03:36 PM »
Geez, I can't remember dates. Outside of the core group, I know I have seen them at various times with one or more of the following - Paul Crook on guitar, Joey Vera on bass, Caggiano on guitar with Bush. I think the only time I have seen them with Joey was the reunion tour of the classic lineup.

They are probably one of the bands I have seen the most times so I have seen an array of lineups.

I have yet to see them with Jonathan Donais. I hope to remedy that some time in the future. Maybe the next album tour.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jammindude

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2019, 10:26:13 PM »
I saw them touring for Among the Living opening for Kiss on the Crazy Nights tour.

Obviously, I only showed up for Anthrax.

Then I saw them on the Clash of the Titans tour with Slayer and Megadeth. That was supporting PoT. Then I saw them open for Moldy Spew (Motley Crue) in 2000. That was the only time I saw them with Bush.

Still. SOWN is my all time favorite Anthrax album. It’s absolutely perfection.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude