Author Topic: The Anthrax thread  (Read 22719 times)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
The Anthrax thread
« on: October 19, 2009, 12:25:37 AM »
Well I read on Blabbermouth I think a while ago that their new album is to be released on October 20, otherwise next year. Anybody know anything about it?

I've only listened to Metal Thrashing Mad, Spreading The Disease, Among The Living, and State Of Euphoria so far.
Among The Living is my favourite. :metal

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Anthrax thread
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 04:49:09 AM »
I like the TMNT stickers on Scott Ian's guitar in the Bring the Noise video.  And we share a birthday...

That is all, I'm sorry.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 09:28:53 AM »
From what I can find out, they have an album in the can with their no-longer lead singer Dan Nelson.  Everybody wants John Bush to return and redo the vox on the album, but he's non-committal.  They did do a show in Japan with Bush in September. 

Personally, I prefer Bush, but StD was one of those life changing albums for me. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:17:25 PM »
IT'S A MADHOUSE!

I'M INSAAAAAAAAAAANE!!!

I need to get more albums by these guys. All I have at the moment is Among the Living and a Best Of.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 06:54:12 PM »
Madhouse :metal Anybody remember that song being played on a GTA:VC radio station? Along with Peace Sells and Raining Blood :hat

I forgot to mention I also have the Armed & Dangerous, I'm The Man, and the Penikufesin EPs.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 06:56:44 PM »
Fuckin' love these guys. One of the first thrash metal bands I got into, I have some really great memories listening to them for the first time. I've found that they're disregarded alot in comparison to the other 3 bands in the big four but I enjoy them way more than Slayer and sometimes even more than Megadeth, depending on my mood. Spreading The Disease and Among The Living are among my all time favorite albums. :metal :metal

My dad saw them back when they were touring for Among The Living and he said it was one of the most high energy shows he's ever been to. If only I lived back in the 80's...

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 07:03:07 PM »
Yeah, I think you're right. They were more consistent than Slayer in the 80's and maybe early 90's.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 07:20:54 PM »
I love Anthrax. They're right above Metallica in the Big 4, but below Slayer and Megadeth. Their 80s output was all kinds of win, but their 90s output was unacceptable.

And I've honestly lost faith that Worship Music will ever see the light of day, and that's a damn shame, because We've Come For You All was actually okay.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Serpentor

• I am faster than 80% of all snakes
  • DT.net Member
  • I don't want a large Farva, I want a liter of cola
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 11:17:21 AM »
While I have Attack of the Killer B's and I'm the Man, I was always partial to the John bush years.  Sound of White Noise is an incredible album that doesn't have a weak track on it.  The releases after that had a couple good songs and We've Come For You All was a very solid record
Dear Santa,
Please kill Icy for Christmas.

Love,

Everyone

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 12:53:18 PM »
Long story short...but we used to rent a room in the Jamiaca music building  (for rehersal) around the same time that Anthrax did as well (Metallica talks about crashing there when they first came to NY)

We were just messing around when we started jamming to Freebird, as with the building most bands kept the door open because the rooms were hot as hell ( the windows were nailed shut) when we finished both Charlie and Scott walked in and said that was an amazing cover. We thanked them and than had to explain that we were a metal band not southern rock.

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 01:52:46 PM »
Long story short...but we used to rent a room in the Jamiaca music building  (for rehersal) around the same time that Anthrax did as well (Metallica talks about crashing there when they first came to NY)

We were just messing around when we started jamming to Freebird, as with the building most bands kept the door open because the rooms were hot as hell ( the windows were nailed shut) when we finished both Charlie and Scott walked in and said that was an amazing cover. We thanked them and than had to explain that we were a metal band not southern rock.

Another great story from wkiml.  :metal

They were more consistent than Slayer in the 80's and maybe early 90's.

I completely disagree. Of the "Big 4" Slayer was the only consistent one of the bunch.

My dad saw them back when they were touring for Among The Living and he said it was one of the most high energy shows he's ever been to. If only I lived back in the 80's...

I had an opportunity to see this tour and I passed. Some friends of mine said if I drove them, they'd buy me a ticket. i was like WTF, if you wanted me to go, you'd have made plans with me in the first place, not wait till the f##king day of the show. I told them to f##k off....which felt good, but I missed a great tour. Anthrax was one of those bands that I was into them early with Fistful, but didn't pick them up again till Among was already out and toured.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 07:32:03 PM »
I know a kid who has Charlie Benante and Frank Bello as uncles. As a matter of factoid, I saw him and his band play a few days ago, and he tore it up with Frank's signature bass. Pretty sick.

EDIT: For anyone wondering, they played War Pigs (Black Sabbath), High Voltage (AC/DC), a Lynyrd Skynyrd song that I can't remember the name of, and then... yes... FREE BIRD to close it. All near-flawlessly.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 10:05:09 AM »

I had an opportunity to see this tour and I passed. Some friends of mine said if I drove them, they'd buy me a ticket. i was like WTF, if you wanted me to go, you'd have made plans with me in the first place, not wait till the f##king day of the show. I told them to f##k off....which felt good, but I missed a great tour. Anthrax was one of those bands that I was into them early with Fistful, but didn't pick them up again till Among was already out and toured.

Saw this at the Arcadia, which was one of those old art deco movie theaters; sat about 1k.  Got to see Metal Church open up for them with the late, great David Wayne. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 09:29:43 PM »
I said in the OP that I listened to and have the album Metal Thrashing Mad (which is not an album). I actually mistook that name for the debut, Fistful Of Metal. :lol

Yet, nobody seemed to correct me :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 06:48:43 AM »
We knew what you meant.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:10:23 PM by wkiml »
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 09:59:41 AM »
Bump. Fleshed out my Anthrax collection in the last few months with Spreading the Disease and Persistence of Time, both very good thrash albums.

Anthrax are probably my favourite thrash band by now (based entirely on the thrash phases of the bands, Metallica would nudge them out with their post-thrash metal included) Among the Living is actually my favourite thrash album, and I'll be surprised if another thrash album ever challenges it (though there are still a few thrash bands I'd like to hear - Voivod, Coroner, Testament, Exodus, Dark Angel, Death Angel).

I still want to hear at least the B Sides album and Sound of White Noise and maybe We've Come For You All from these guys. Haven't heard State of Euphoria, but I have both Make Me Laugh and Antisocial from a Best Of, and they're both pretty bad songs.

Anybody remember that song being played on a GTA:VC radio station? Along with Peace Sells and Raining Blood :hat
My brother still associates Madhouse and Peace Sells entirely with that game. He loves them because of it though, so it's only a good thing.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 10:53:56 AM »
Anthrax was a huge inspiration for me in high school. It's truly sad how far the band has fallen in the last several years. Scott and Charlie are sad excuses for business men.

That being said, I look forward to hanging with Joey B next week and seeing how the album is going.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 02:18:17 PM »
Of all the Big 4 bands, Anthrax has been the one that has not clicked with me at all. Maybe I'm listening to the wrong stuff, but I don't know. I mean, the 4 or 5 big hits are cool and that is about it. I don't want to come in here and shit on a band because I hate it when people do that, but I am just saying how I feel about them vs. other bands in their genre. I think I need to listen to a complete album as opposed to a greatest hits. That said, Indians is a kick ass song.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 02:23:36 PM »
Of all the Big 4 bands, Anthrax has been the one that has not clicked with me at all. Maybe I'm listening to the wrong stuff, but I don't know. I mean, the 4 or 5 big hits are cool and that is about it. I don't want to come in here and shit on a band because I hate it when people do that, but I am just saying how I feel about them vs. other bands in their genre. I think I need to listen to a complete album as opposed to a greatest hits. That said, Indians is a kick ass song.
I'd give Spreading the Disease a couple of listens.  As I said earlier, it was one of those albums that fundamentally shifted my interests in music.  If that doesn't do it for you, maybe White Noise.  I really dig the John Bush era, and the first 3 songs make up an incredible opening onslaught. 
E.F. Benson

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 08:47:46 PM »
Haven't heard State of Euphoria, but I have both Make Me Laugh and Antisocial from a Best Of, and they're both pretty bad songs.

Anybody remember that song being played on a GTA:VC radio station? Along with Peace Sells and Raining Blood :hat
My brother still associates Madhouse and Peace Sells entirely with that game. He loves them because of it though, so it's only a good thing.

You need to hear State Of Euphoria. Took a while to click for me, at least, but I was in the mood 101% when I wanted to hear it last time. It was great because I paid more attention to the music that time.

Coroner's No More Color is a pretty good one btw. I also have Grin but I haven't played it a second time, and what I remember was it was more mid tempo and the most experimental album. If you check out Voivod, try Dimension Hatröss. I've listened to it like 5 or 6 times because I think it's really good.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 09:16:33 AM »
Anthrax's best albums are Spreading the Disease, Among the Living, and Persistence of Time. If those don't click for you, you suck and will never get anywhere in life.

Also, Fluffy, you need to hear Testament. Get The Legacy and The New Order pronto. Testament generally kicks the shit out of the Big 4.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline jsem

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 10:44:07 AM »
Testament is all kinds of epic.  :metal

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 10:43:03 PM »
So, I've been listening to Worship Music all day. I gotta say, this is a pretty damn good album. I'm glad the wait was worth it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 03:38:02 AM »
I was never a thrash fan back in the day but I loved Spreading The Disease. Madhouse, AIR, Lone Justice, and the awesome Armed & Dangerous, great songs full of energy. ATL was a letdown and there's not been much there for me since, though the first album with John Bush was ok.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 05:38:51 AM »
Yes, Worship Music is very good, and I can't believe that it managed to not be disappointing after 8 years. Kudos to them for not pulling a Morbid Angel and releasing an album full of industrial bullshit.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 09:08:39 AM »
Almost everyone tries the industrial thing. I for one like that stuff sometimes. But thankfully Death Angel's last album was good.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 09:58:06 AM »
I fall into this boat.  I've never seen why Anthrax was part of the Big 4 and Exodus wasn't.  But at least Exodus are getting their dues now.  That said, I as well think Indian is a kick ass song.  I think my main problem with them is Belladonna.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2011, 11:04:35 PM »
Haven't heard it before,  but I just listened to a few songs from The Greater of Two evils,  and holy shit.  That's just brutal.  They've actually managed to take that music and make it a helluva lot heavier than it already was.  In My World and Indians were just blistering.  The pseudo-live vocals take some getting used to,  but bush seems to sing it with some real rage. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 07:30:42 AM »
Bush really was not right for Anthrax. Greater of Two Evils just made me want to listen to the originals.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2011, 08:41:43 AM »
Bush was perfect for what Anthrax evolved into.  As for the originals,  it'd be interesting to hear how they sound properly recorded with him singing.  As it is,  I agree with you that they're better suited for Belladona.  However,  Belladona can't sing them too well anymore.  Given the choice between hearing him yell the words into a mic and Bush actually singing Madhouse,  I'd take the latter. 

edit:  and it seems to me like you already had an opinion about Bush before hearing the pseudo-live versions.  Of course you'd prefer the originals if you went into it preferring Belladona anyway. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2011, 08:58:58 AM »
I definitely never liked Bush with Anthrax, and GO2E did nothing to help. I bought Sound of White Noise not knowing that it was basically Anthrax's Black Album, and I was severely disappointed that it wasn't anything like Spreading the Disease or Among the Living. Looking back, SOWN is actually pretty decent, and Bush's vocals really aren't that bad. Stomp 442, Vol. 8, and WCFYA are just horrendous though.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2015, 08:31:12 AM »

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2016, 02:09:04 PM »
New album is out. It's very good.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2016, 03:10:05 PM »
Really like the new album. Apart from Spreading the Disease I wouldn't call myself an Anthrax fan but I loved the new single so went for it. Yeah, really like it. I like joeys voice on this.

I was very disappointed in ATL back in the day following on from STD. Not played it in years, probably since the year it came out.