Author Topic: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)  (Read 381668 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Ayreon/Arjen Lucassen Thread (Star Three on the way)
« Reply #3570 on: January 30, 2024, 09:21:24 AM »
From the Ayreon FB page posted earlier....

The wait is finally over... tomorrow, 12-noon CET, we'll premiere the first live video from 01011001 - Live Beneath the Waves, featuring "The Sixth Extinction" AND this is also when the pre-order starts for Both 01011001 - Live Beneath The Waves + Plan Nine.

Hope to see you at the premiere!
https://youtu.be/HAJ0zTMLClQ?si=XaCpgdVb_-yv7PSz

I am quite excited to finally get a ProShot of the show. I did not expect it to be this song though. I am excited, I have funds, so this will be preordered instantly.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3571 on: January 30, 2024, 06:58:05 PM »
From Arjen's FB on the upcoming Plan Nine project:

My dear friends, tomorrow Wednesday we'll release the first track from my new (old) project Lucassen & Soeterboek’s Plan Nine, “Before the Morning Comes”. The official video premieres at 12-noon CET, hope to see you there! Robert and I will be in the chat, so be nice to us 😊

-Marc.

Anyone else check this out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l0-yHau5QY

I had no clue what to expect since I haven't kept up with anything about it, but I don't think I would have expected some tasty blues rock.  Dunno if that's the style of the whole project, but if it is I'm totally down.  Robert has a fantastic voice for it, and Marcel is a perfect soloing compliment.  He's been one of my favorite guitar discoveries of the past half-decade or so.  It's kind of incredible that I've heard thousands of guitarists and he still manages to sound unique with his phrasing and bending style that I really can't quite think of anyone else to compare him to.  Maybe a less fusiony Chris Poland?  That's still not quite right. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3572 on: January 31, 2024, 05:38:55 AM »
Just listened to Sixth Extinction. Great performance and the vidoe looks solid.

But I do think it is not as sonically pleasing as some of the previous live releases? Seems to miss a bit of low end on two of my setups or something (on my Sony headphones and Sonos Arc + One tv setup, did not listen with my "audiophile gear").

I did preorder the entire bunch, along with the Plan 9 album.

From Arjen's FB on the upcoming Plan Nine project:

My dear friends, tomorrow Wednesday we'll release the first track from my new (old) project Lucassen & Soeterboek’s Plan Nine, “Before the Morning Comes”. The official video premieres at 12-noon CET, hope to see you there! Robert and I will be in the chat, so be nice to us 😊

-Marc.

Anyone else check this out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l0-yHau5QY

I had no clue what to expect since I haven't kept up with anything about it, but I don't think I would have expected some tasty blues rock.  Dunno if that's the style of the whole project, but if it is I'm totally down.  Robert has a fantastic voice for it, and Marcel is a perfect soloing compliment.  He's been one of my favorite guitar discoveries of the past half-decade or so.  It's kind of incredible that I've heard thousands of guitarists and he still manages to sound unique with his phrasing and bending style that I really can't quite think of anyone else to compare him to.  Maybe a less fusiony Chris Poland?  That's still not quite right.

Sounds good to me. Not as appealing as most of Arjen's project, but if this is the quality to expect I think I will enjoy it. Robert sounds good.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3573 on: January 31, 2024, 07:01:58 AM »
Sixth Extinction was fun, though Daniel (my personal favorite) is just kind of BSing his way through it it felt.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3574 on: January 31, 2024, 07:29:07 AM »
Sixth Extinction was fun, though Daniel (my personal favorite) is just kind of BSing his way through it it felt.

I am not very familiar with Daniel so perhaps he is usually even better, but I think he sounds great here, with the exception of one note if I am nitpicking.

During the first show I saw I only thought he struggled a bit with a part of the final, non 01 song of the show (on the last night he did good to me ears).

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3575 on: January 31, 2024, 07:39:24 AM »
Preordered the earbook of 01011001 and CD and book for Long Lost Songs

That was such a fucking amazing thing to see live last year. Think I might have glimpsed myself somewhere in the middle.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3576 on: January 31, 2024, 07:39:39 AM »
He doesn't sound bad. Dude has an insane voice. He just doesn't seem to be putting in much effort. Skips a the high notes and just kind of seems uninterested.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #3577 on: January 31, 2024, 08:14:52 AM »
I think he skipped the high note, which is fine, he's not as young anymore, but he kind of messed up the lines bad too or was editted out in the final product. But yeah, in general he's always had the "i'm too good for prog/other people's music" vibe.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3578 on: February 03, 2024, 08:22:52 AM »
i was thinking about doing ayreon's the human equation at karaoke with a bunch of friends. it's a wild idea, but hear me out. each friend takes on a different character from the album. we could use costumes or props to match the vibe. we start with the first track, and each person steps up during their character's part. it'd be like a mini-play, but with karaoke. we might need some basic choreography to keep things interesting, nothing too fancy, just some synchronized moves. for the visuals, we could use a projector or something to display scenes from the album. that way, the audience can follow along with the storyline. i'm thinking minimalistic, not trying to go overboard, but enough to enhance the experience. here's the kicker – during the instrumental sections or group vocals, everyone gets involved. the more, the merrier, you know? it's a collaborative effort. we could even encourage the audience to join in on those parts, creating a real community vibe.

it's definitely a niche idea, and the success would depend on the enthusiasm of the friends involved. but hey, it could be a fun way to bring the human equation to life in a different setting. what do you guys think?
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #3579 on: February 03, 2024, 10:46:52 AM »
bring enough beer for everyone

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3580 on: February 03, 2024, 10:54:34 AM »
bring enough beer for everyone

we'll have enough for the whole gang, pal
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3581 on: February 03, 2024, 11:27:32 AM »
I'm jealous that you live in an area where you have enough friends that like Ayreon that it's even conceivable to pull off such an idea. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3582 on: February 05, 2024, 09:46:01 AM »
I'm jealous that you live in an area where you have enough friends that like Ayreon that it's even conceivable to pull off such an idea.

Haha, I know. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3583 on: April 03, 2024, 04:27:41 AM »
Day that the World Breaks Down performance just released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei4QjMN1y5g

:metal

It is the final Sunday evening performance btw (according to Arjen).

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3584 on: April 03, 2024, 06:31:14 AM »
I'm not sure Universe can be topped, but this is looking to be a most excellent concert to keep revisiting.  I can't wait for favorites like "Age of Shadows", "Waking Dreams", "E=MC^2", "Beneath the Waves", and "Liquid Eternity". 

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3585 on: April 03, 2024, 06:36:49 AM »
Day that the World Breaks Down performance just released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei4QjMN1y5g

It is the sunday evening.... I can see myself and my son in some overhead shots thanks to my orange Porcupine Tree t-shirt.

I'm soo looking forward to getting the artbook in May.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 11:13:41 AM by SwedishGoose »

Offline Adami

« Reply #3586 on: April 03, 2024, 07:12:00 AM »
That was great!

Even though it's later than the last song released, they seemed to have more energy for this one.

Also did not expect to see Daniel for the first bit like that. Very cool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3587 on: April 03, 2024, 09:28:01 AM »

Awesome stuff!!!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind