Author Topic: [Music] Porcupine Tree - The Incident  (Read 9215 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
[Music] Porcupine Tree - The Incident
« on: October 15, 2009, 01:15:45 PM »
Porcupine Tree - The Incident
Progressive Rock

The last two, perhaps three, Porcupine Tree records had songs I adored alongside songs I loathed in various ratios. I loved most of In Absentia, I liked most of Deadwing, but I didn’t like much of Fear of a Blank Planet. Such is the risk when you approach music the way Steven Wilson does, never establishing a core sound for your band and trying new things with each successive release. You’re going to please some people - we’ve all heard fans cry genius - and you’re going to disappoint some people - we’ve all heard haters cry overrated.

Personally, I’ve always found his craft more interesting than satisfying. I only love about half his work with Porcupine Tree, but I’ll never criticize him for experimenting with their sound and trying to push it to new limits because I love it when artists do that. If I don’t happen to enjoy it all the time, then so be it.

The Incident is, a little surprisingly, their most consistent offering since Lightbulb Sun. It drags a little toward the middle of the s/t song cycle, and “Bonnie the Cat” isn’t so good, but it’s an otherwise wholly stellar release and one of the finest of 2009.

The reason it’s better than its immediate predecessors is because I think Wilson tapped into a songwriting groove more in touch with his greatest strengths. He’s been testing the waters of hard rock and heavy metal oh-so-sporadically on their last few albums, and earlier on in their career he was considerably more trippy, but here he seems to have gone back to a more Radiohead-esque style that serves him better. When I say “Radiohead-esque” I don’t mean he’s ripping off Radiohead; rather, I mean that he’s playing more hooky, alternative rock with a unique spin to it. There are more tracks where he just has an acoustic guitar in his hand or a piano playing and he just runs with it, as opposed to having rockin’ riffs ala “Shallow” or “Fear of a Blank Planet”. It’s a considerably more subtle, understated work than anything we’ve seen from Porcupine Tree recently.

One negative I will point out is that there doesn’t seem to be as much soul crushing material as on previous outings. There isn’t a single track that invokes a similar reaction to the first time I heard “A Smart Kid”, “Trains” or “Arriving Somewhere...” However, many come close, the stretches from “The Blind House” - “Kneel and Disconnect” and “The Seance” - “I Drive the Hearse” being the two staunchest examples. And that's the way it was meant to be, most likely; better as a whole and not as a dissolution of its parts.

I think it’s worth mentioning The Incident isn’t as great a change from what came before it as, say, Signify was to Stupid Dream. Wilson has gotten his hands dirty in so many side projects nowadays I don’t think he has as much to pour into Porcupine Tree experimentally. However, it’s just as promising a change, which is saying a lot, because Stupid Dream is one of my favorite records ever.

What did you guys think?

Stand-Outs: "The Blind House", "I Drive the Hearse", "Flicker"

Rating: 8/10
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 04:27:06 PM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: [Music] Porcupine Tree - The Incident
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 02:53:10 PM »
Good review overall. I personally would have rated it a little higher, probably an 8.5 or 9, but I know you're a hard reviewer. I definitely agree that it's a situation where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

WTF moment of the day:

“Bonnie the Cat” isn’t so good
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 06:05:21 PM »
Good review overall. I personally would have rated it a little higher, probably an 8.5 or 9, but I know you're a hard reviewer. I definitely agree that it's a situation where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

WTF moment of the day:

Pretty much all of this.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 04:40:31 PM »

WTF moment of the day:

Pretty much all of this.

Yup
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:54:58 AM »

WTF moment of the day:

Pretty much all of this.
Yup
This

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 09:02:13 PM »

WTF moment of the day:

Couldn't have said it better myself.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 09:27:22 PM »
I really, really don't like this album at all... I agree Deadwing is pretty good but everything else from PT aside from Lightbulb Sun and parts of In Absentia is pretty boring to me.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 11:41:44 AM »
Good review. I do like Bonnie the Cat a lot and i think its my fav from the 2nd disc.

I think the whole thing is great besides Drawing the Line chorus.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 12:56:45 PM »
WTF of the Day for Me:

I really, really don't like this album at all... I agree Deadwing is pretty good but everything else from PT aside from Lightbulb Sun and parts of In Absentia is pretty boring to me.

Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 01:03:10 PM »

Why don't you like it? Does it bore you? Does it annoy you?

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 03:12:15 AM »
The Incident is, a little surprisingly, their most consistent offering since Lightbulb Sun.

You think so? It's a lot jumpier than say, Deadwing, which was pretty similar throughout. The only inconsistent bits are the heavy part of ASBNH, the pseudo-heaviness of Shallow, and Glass Arm, which is all around meh. Incident on the other hand flips from BOOM BOOM BOOM to Great Expectations in less than a second, then from haunting to IM DRAWING THE LINE! in about the same time, then from the first minute of Octane Twisted to the rest of Octane Twisted, also in about the same time, just to name a few.
caw caw

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 07:46:15 AM »
The Incident is, a little surprisingly, their most consistent offering since Lightbulb Sun.

You think so? It's a lot jumpier than say, Deadwing, which was pretty similar throughout. The only inconsistent bits are the heavy part of ASBNH, the pseudo-heaviness of Shallow, and Glass Arm, which is all around meh. Incident on the other hand flips from BOOM BOOM BOOM to Great Expectations in less than a second, then from haunting to IM DRAWING THE LINE! in about the same time, then from the first minute of Octane Twisted to the rest of Octane Twisted, also in about the same time, just to name a few.

I'm talking about quality, not styles or tones or anything like that.

And if I misread you and you were talking about quality as well, then I stand by what I said.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 11:45:42 AM »

I'm talking about quality, not styles or tones or anything like that.

And if I misread you and you were talking about quality as well, then I stand by what I said.

Ah nope, I was talking about styles and tones. You thought the quality was down on IA?
caw caw

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 11:52:20 AM »
Not down just more inconsistent. Songs like "Wedding Nails" and ".3" and "The Creator Has a Mastertape" never clicked with me, although I never heard them in 5.1. :sadpanda:

TI doesn't have anything like that. It's steadily good with some minor drops whereas IA is mostly amazing with bigger drops.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 02:15:41 AM »
"The Creator Has a Mastertape"

is probably my 2nd favorite on the album after Trains. :sadpanda:

Wedding Nails is probably the bottom though.
caw caw

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 08:26:52 AM »
The Creator Has a Mastertape is the song that got me into listening to IA, and in consequence, getting into PT (had heard Deadwing before, but didn't explore the discography any further afterwards).

For me, The Incident is probably going to be my PT favourite. I can't find any weakness on the whole album, and there are a lot of awesome things in it.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 10:00:37 AM »
The Creator Has a Mastertape is one of my faviourite PT songs :hat

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 10:19:22 AM »
One of my favorites on the album for sure.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 11:12:45 AM »
Looks like I'll have to give it another listen soon. :hat

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 03:43:49 PM »
The Creator Has a Mastertape is one of my faviourite PT songs :hat
One of my favorites on the album for sure.
These.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 03:47:47 PM »
It's fallen down a bit in my rankings a bit since then (on IA there's Gravity Eyelids, Heartattack in a Layby and Lips of Ashes above), but it's still a damn good song and I can see why I loved it instantly.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »

Why don't you like it? Does it bore you? Does it annoy you?

More the first but SW in general is starting to annoy me.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 09:31:13 AM »
In what way?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »
Half of everything he does is slow, boring, and makes me want to fall asleep.

Offline Shadoshi

• Slave of Dimitrius
  • Co-dependent much?
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 05:11:01 AM »
I think the whole thing is great besides Drawing the Line chorus.

Disagree. The piano backing that section makes the melody incredibly powerful and I'm really glad they wrote the section the way they did. It's catchy, but it's well written catchy, so no one's getting ripped off.

Anyway, this is my favorite PT album, easily. Every melody played on the album is one I feel myself always wanting to hear.

I only have IA, DW, FoABP, and NC otherwise.

I rate them: TI > FoABP > NC > DW > IA.

I want Lightbulb Sun. NAO.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 01:05:32 PM »
As a BIG PT fan, I would just like to say I believe The Incident sucks.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 01:20:14 AM »
Like I said in the other PT thread, if you're a PT fan and you can't find anything in The Incident you like you're a complete and utter liar. It has got to be the most collective album they have.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2009, 06:00:39 AM »
To be honest I'm slowly starting to get the impression that everything without a Trains-like song sucks. Lightbulb Sun is the most awesomest album ever created, IA is not much less awesome because it has Trains, Deadwing is ok because it has at least Lazarus (which is far better than Trains btw), FOABP is boring and sucks because there's nothing like Trains, The Incident sucks even more because there's no nice simple songs at all. They've made a huge step forward with the last two albums and they're better and more consistent in every way, but who gives a damn? We need Trains. Anything above 6 minutes is boring.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2009, 07:11:18 AM »
If everything above 6 minutes is boring then you should love most of The Incident ;)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 10:14:25 AM »
It won't work as it's basically 55 minutes overall.

Sorry if that previous post felt like I'm an asshole, but I'm really sick and tired of this. Wherever I go, I see "Trains is the best song ever", "The Incident sucks" and "[put title of a random long song here, e.g. Gravity Eyelids] is too long and boring". It's called progressive rock for a reason. Progression and variety. Not albums made of 5-minute simple rock songs. I'm glad SW doesn't care about that and does what he wants, otherwise PT would be competing with Coldplay at the moment.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2009, 11:17:52 PM »
Lightbulb Sun is the most awesomest album ever created.

6th from the top in my opinion.
caw caw

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 11:43:49 AM »
Don't get me wrong. I love PT a LOT. Russia on Ice, Stop Swimming, Anesthetize and Arriving Somewhere... are all songs I rank among my favorites as well. FOAB is also great, even though I like it less than their other albums, it has it's strong points. The Incident does not. It's just a boring collection of songs put together to seemingly create a whole, but they don't. And I don't like any of them. As I said, Kneel and Disconnect is the only song with potential.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 11:59:36 AM »
Ruben, I'm pretty sure you haven't listen to the album enough. My first impression of it wasn't that good. But it's one of the album I know that grew on me the best. The more you listen to it the more you love it. Seriously, it started close to the bottom of PT's discography for me, and now I'd easily say it's my second favorite after IA.
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »
Sigh... I'll listen to it a few more times in the next couple of weeks.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 01:26:03 PM »
You wont regret it, believe me  :tup
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one