Author Topic: Kansas  (Read 53677 times)

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
Re: Kansas
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2012, 01:37:09 AM »
I remember a long time ago someone commented on how some Kansas song either vaguely sounded like Metropolis or had a similar vibe. Can someone help me out here cuz I really wanna check it out again.

Probably Magnum Opus.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline r0cken

« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2012, 02:03:18 AM »
Try Song For America. that's around that era and "Incomudro - Hymn to the Atman" is an awesome closing song.
I'll give it a try.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2012, 09:47:16 AM »
I can't think of any Kansas song that reminds me of Metropolis.  I know some have said some of the orchestral bits at the end of Octavarium sound like The Wall (from Leftoverture), but that's all I can think of offhand.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2012, 10:14:23 AM »
It was the closing instrumental to "The Wall" by Kansas (from Leftoverture) which people said sounded like the main theme to the Overture from "Six Degrees".

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »
Magnum Opus doesn't sound like Metropolis specifically, but I remember it sounding as if it was a DT song recorded in the seventies.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2012, 01:12:41 PM »
It goes into some pretty crazy stuff, especially crazy for a band becoming more known for their radio hits.  "Magnum Opus" was one of the last truly crazy instrumentals they ever did.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2012, 01:23:17 PM »
I remember uploading The Wall to my MP3 player the first time and jogging to it. When it came to the end part I actually stopped jogging, thinking "nooo, noooo."
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2013, 11:36:13 PM »
It took me this long to finally listen to them. The Pinnacle came up on Pandora and it was great. Really great band...i bought Song for America, Masque and Leftoverture.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2013, 01:30:47 AM »
:tup

Kansas includes almost everything I look for in music, like tight arrangements, skilled performances, interesting lyrics, and memorable melodies. Be sure to check out Point of Know Return sometime.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2013, 08:25:41 AM »
For sure.  And even though both have some duds, Monolith and Audio-Visions both have some outstanding songs as well.  Definitely worth checking out once you've gotten through the incredible 4-album run of Song for American through Point of Know Return.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2013, 08:32:18 AM »
I actually think their debut is a fine slab o' prog too  :hat

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2013, 08:49:55 AM »
I still think Monolith is an outstanding album.  First self-produced album.  Darker than previous albums.  Good stuff.  Very odd "theater of the mind" with "How My Soul Cries Out For You". 
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2013, 10:50:10 AM »
I remember a long time ago someone commented on how some Kansas song either vaguely sounded like Metropolis or had a similar vibe. Can someone help me out here cuz I really wanna check it out again.

Probably Magnum Opus.

...or "Journey From Mariabronn"

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2013, 12:32:17 PM »
Yeah, Monolith is good. On the Other Side, Angels Have Fallen, and A Glimpse of Home are awesome.

Probably Magnum Opus.

...or "Journey From Mariabronn"

If this was the thread in question, then it was Magnum Opus: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=28407.0
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2013, 12:13:16 PM »
Anyone going to see Kansas on their 40th anniversary tour this summer?  They keep adding dates on their website.  No St. Louis date yet, but I'd go see them again if they came here.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2013, 04:18:33 PM »
I have seen Kansas about a dozen times dating back to my first show in 79. Seen a few different lineups but the quality has never wavered at any time. Love um!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2013, 07:52:16 PM »
They're doing a special show in Pittsburgh with all the original members present. It's the same weekend as my brother's wedding. Ugh.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2013, 10:40:27 AM »
They'll probably film it.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2013, 10:47:12 AM »
Well yeah, it's pretty common for weddings to be filmed.  Actually nowadays they use videotape.  I'm sure your brother will understand; just tell him you'll check out the video later.

Oh, you meant the Kansas show?  Yeah, that too.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2013, 04:45:42 PM »
They'll probably film it.
True, but Kansas has been my favorite band my whole life, so I hate to miss something like that when it's only an hour away from me. I was able to see Kerry Livgren play with them once, also at a special show in Pittsburgh, but that's it. This could be my only chance to see all those guys perform.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2013, 05:23:15 AM »
playing in AC july 13th but i'll be away on vacation at that time  :tdwn
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2013, 12:14:34 AM »
Leftoverture is amazing. Opus insert is a cool idea I wish most bands would do, shit the entire structure of the album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2013, 12:49:46 AM »
I love Kansas, seen them thrice. Most recently was back on May 11th. They sounded really good, especially Steve. I think he sounded better this last time than he did when I saw them in '04 or '05. Awesome setlist, the highlight was Song For America. What sucked though, is that the show was super short. Barely two hours long. I felt a little unfulfilled, since I had paid $75 for my ticket. I know those guys aren't young, but by comparison, my parents saw the Stones (who are older) that night down in Vegas, and they went two and a half. Is that normal of a Kansas show nowadays?

Anyway, I'd also like to say that Steve Walsh is likely my favorite prog vocalist.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2013, 08:07:27 AM »
I don't know if they're coming to Dallas yet.  I've seen them a dozen times or so over the years.  Unfortunately, the last time was probably one of the worst shows.  It was Kansas, Styx, then Foreigner.  Kansas played for about 40 minutes.  They looked bored and they just "phoned it in".  Just a lackluster performance.  Though, i have definitely seen some spirited performances from them in the past. 

I try not to miss them if they come to town.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2013, 08:19:07 AM »
I don't know if they're coming to Dallas yet.  I've seen them a dozen times or so over the years.  Unfortunately, the last time was probably one of the worst shows.  It was Kansas, Styx, then Foreigner.  Kansas played for about 40 minutes.  They looked bored and they just "phoned it in".  Just a lackluster performance.  Though, i have definitely seen some spirited performances from them in the past. 

They were here last month. Good show. Pretty generic setlist, but they seemed really into it and happy to be there.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2013, 09:34:23 AM »

What a lineup!  Foreigner is awesome these days and so is Styx, I've never had a chance to see Kansas live.  I'd definitely love an opportunity to see them.   

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2013, 10:15:53 AM »
I turned down free tickets to that thing. Even had people trying to talk me into going, but wouldn't budge. Applying some simple logic to it, I determined that the horror of sitting through Juke Box Hero and Come Sale Away was greater than the enjoyment I would have gotten from Song for America and Grand Illusion.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2013, 10:33:05 AM »
Easy solution: Those are your piss-break songs.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »
Last month?  Dammit.  Where'd they play, Barto?  Sorry I missed that.  Same ol' setlist, though?  Every once in a while they change it up and pull out something deep catalog, but that hasn't happened in a while.

As far as the Kansas/Styx/Foreigner show, overall, Foreigner was great.  Styx was AWFUL.  I simply don't like them anymore.  I just don't like their new singer.  He's no good.  Their entire set was a piss-break.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2013, 02:55:34 PM »
They played the new performing arts center at UTA. Cool venue. Setlist seemed to be their standard greatest hits fair.

Paradox
Point of Know Return
Song for America
The Wall
Hold On
Dust in the Wind
Can I Tell You
Journey from Mariabronn
Icarus - Borne on Wings of Steel
Miracles Out of Nowhere
Portrait (He Knew)
Encore:
Fight Fire with Fire
Carry On Wayward Son
Some guy that looked like Hunter S Thompson joined them for COWS. I figure that's pretty standard for them now. There was a stage rush towards the end, so I was in a deadzone where the sound was loud as shit but highly muddled, so I didn't catch who it was. They did have an opening band, which we skipped, so it might have been one of them.

Part of the reason I passed on the Kansas/Styx/Foreigner thing was after looking at their lineups, I decided that between them there were only enough original members to make up one band. Besides which, Kansas was really the only one I was into much.
E.F. Benson

Offline Virtualman64

« Reply #135 on: July 26, 2013, 07:07:17 AM »
Kansas is one of my all time favorites!Has anyone mentioned or heard"Two For The Show 30th Anniversary Edition"?One of the best live prog albums ever!

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2013, 11:22:20 AM »
Sounds like the same old setlist that they've been playing for quite some time.  It's no secret that Steve Walsh said he won't make any new music with Kansas.  So maybe he's just touring to help fund for his solo stuff, which I have enjoyed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2013, 12:17:05 PM »
If that is a standard Kansas set list nowadays, it is a pretty damn good one. You have the three big standards, a few more hits (Hold On, The Wall) and then you have some of their best deeper cuts ever (Song for America, Icarus, Miracles out of Nowhere and Journey from Mariabronn). 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2013, 12:47:35 PM »
It's a good setlist, but a little too short. Could have used another 20 minutes or so, at least.

Also, Fight Fire is a really cheesy song, and not a good choice for an encore.
E.F. Benson

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2013, 08:45:12 AM »
I agree.  It just doesn't sound right having Walsh sing the Elefante stuff.  I'm glad JfM is a live standard now, but i'd really like to hear some real "deep" cuts.  Play "Back Door" and get some dude with bagpipes out there.  Or at least more Monolith stuff, like HMSCOfY or Angels Have Fallen.