Author Topic: Linkin Park  (Read 49689 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Linkin Park
« Reply #490 on: June 28, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »
Daron > Hamilton > Rakim > Morello

Morello may as well not be on the album, which sucks because I was expecting a lot more seeing his name on there.

Just spun this album again, so fucking good.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #491 on: June 28, 2014, 09:27:41 PM »
I skipped frmo page 2 since to the last page. How things change over 4 years.

Okay, new discussion topic: Rank the albums.  I'm gonna include the Hybrid Theory EP, if only because I feel it encompasses a unique sound that allows it to be a separate entity in the LP discography.

1. Meteora - I thought this album was the most "interesting," and very experimental compared to HT's moshfest.
2. Hybrid Theory EP - Same as Meteora, this album strikes me as the most "different" of the early era.
3. Hybrid Theory - Let's face it; most of us wouldn't be fans of LP if it weren't for this album.  The songs are very solid, well-constructed, and in many cases quite catchy.
4. Reanimation - This is definitely the less desirable half.  The remixes are cool, but honestly, they could never have stood alone without the release of HT.
5. Minutes to Midnight - It's pretty bad, but there are a couple of nice songs, like What I've Done and No More Sorrow.
6. Collision Course - The worst thing LP could ever have done was mash-ups with Jay-Z, simple as that.  That's not a comment about either artist; they just don't jive well.

I hate Meteora.

Yes, it really is amazing. Not only that Meteora is one of my least favorites now, but that Reanimation has a permanent place at #2. While I still think Hybrid Theory is a solid album, I now consider the Reanimation versions of those songs by far superior (except in the cases of Points of Authority, Papercut, and One Step Closer).
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #492 on: June 29, 2014, 07:34:22 PM »
LP used to be one of my favorite bands growing up.  After Minutes to Midnight they went downhill, though, so I rarely listen to them anymore.  I'll rank the albums.

1. Hybrid Theory- Easily one of the best Nu metal albums of all time.  That might not be saying much, but I enjoy this album as much as my other favorite albums by other bands.

2. Minutes to Midnight- Some say their decline started here, and yes, while there's about 3 songs on here I can't stand, most of it is among the best stuff they've done.

3. Collision Course- I know it's not really an album, but this Jay Z mash up was really good, even though I despise rap.

4. Meteora- Overrated.  The songs all sound the same to me, however "Lying From You" might be one of the best LP songs ever.  Some are really good here, but some of it screams filler material.

5. Living Things- Sort of a return to form, sort of not.  Things are started to look good from here.  Hopefully they can get back on track.

6. A Thousand Suns- Mostly garbage, with the exception of Wretches and Kings, which is amazing.

Haven't heard their new one yet, but I'm not really going out of my way to get a copy of it.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #493 on: June 29, 2014, 07:58:55 PM »
I understand why someone could hate A Thousand Suns, but I find it easily as one of their top 3. Daring, exciting and totally amazing. I love singing along to Waiting for the End, Iridescent and Catalyst.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #494 on: June 29, 2014, 08:01:12 PM »
ATS is the best them.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #495 on: June 29, 2014, 10:19:13 PM »
I think it needs no explanation. it's just my opinion.

Albums that i like, in this order:
A Thousand Suns
The Hunting Party
Minutes to Midnight
Hibrid Theory

Albums that don't do anything for me (but have a couple of cool songs)
Meteora
Living Things

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #496 on: June 29, 2014, 10:39:36 PM »
Whoa.  :lol It's awesome to see the massive difference in opinions over the albums. I think that's a shining point to LP. As I stated earlier, I'm a bit disappointed that I don't like THP all that much, but the next album might end up being my favorite for all I know. It's a double-edged sword to have that kind of diversity, but I really like that aspect of LP even if it's an actual downfall to me personally. It's at the very least more exciting to discuss and to ponder the future projects than to have a stagnant rehash every time.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #497 on: June 30, 2014, 06:26:59 AM »
ATS is the best them.

Seriously. It was such a huge step forward for them, and I hope that they'll do the same sort of pushing the envelope with their "new" punk sound.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #498 on: June 30, 2014, 07:18:37 AM »
ATS might click for me eventually, but like half the album are interlude tracks. And out of the other half, maybe half of those tracks are actually any good. I kinda like the idea of them doing a concept album, but the result could have been better. For me it's probably one of their most cohesive/consistent albums in terms of flow, but if you ask me for standout tracks, I would be drawing a blank real soon. Even from Living Things I could easily name 3-4 standout tracks.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #499 on: June 30, 2014, 10:06:08 AM »
The reason it doesn't have "standout tracks" is that they're pretty much all bloody brilliant.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #500 on: June 30, 2014, 10:34:31 AM »
The reason it doesn't have "standout tracks" is that they're pretty much all bloody brilliant.

Nah.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #501 on: June 30, 2014, 12:42:52 PM »

Nah.

Yeah.  :coolio

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #502 on: June 30, 2014, 02:01:03 PM »
I always listen to ATS all the way through, so the concept of standout tracks is mostly irrelevant to me.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #503 on: June 30, 2014, 02:43:34 PM »
I always listen to ATS all the way through, so the concept of standout tracks is mostly irrelevant to me.

So do I, but I think songs like Iridescent and Waiting For The End are high tier tracks on their own.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #504 on: June 30, 2014, 02:51:55 PM »
Yeah, ATS is really an album that needs to be listening to in one setting. Though that doesn't mean that it doesn't have standout songs, like The Requiem / The Radiance / Burning in the Skies, Waiting for the End, When They Come For Me or The Catalyst.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #505 on: June 30, 2014, 03:27:50 PM »
I actually think ATS is a pretty great album overall, I just don't see why people put it on such a pedestal. But it's also quite a weird album. I believe it's the lowest rated LP album on many rating-sites (like Sputnik/RYM) but while it has many haters, the people who like it.. REALLY like it. It's interesting.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #506 on: June 30, 2014, 03:32:14 PM »
Definitely their most controversial album. I actually didn't like it when I first heard it, but it grew on me.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #507 on: June 30, 2014, 04:47:15 PM »
I remembered when The Catalyst came out as a single, at first I wasn't quite sure what to think. Then a few months later, the Waiting For The End video came out and I remembered loving the video so much that it convinced me to give the album a chance. Once I was able to get a copy of the album, I gave it a listen straight through, and after about three listens, I fell in love with it. I also remembered seeing them for the first and so far only time as a non-festival headliner on that tour, and it was a memorable show IMO with the stage set and live visuals that accompanied the songs on the album, etc.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #508 on: June 30, 2014, 11:07:01 PM »
Waiting for the end is their best achievment to date. I highly doubt they can do a better song in the future. I hope they prove me wrong.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #509 on: July 20, 2017, 12:15:59 PM »
Apparently Chester has commited suicide...

https://www.tmz.com/2017/07/20/linkin-park-singer-chester-bennington-dead-commits-suicide/

R.I.P.

Haven't seen any other reports, but I assume that TMZ (unfortunately) is correct, as much as I don't want to believe this.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #510 on: July 20, 2017, 12:23:16 PM »
RIP :(

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #511 on: July 20, 2017, 12:24:55 PM »
I hope this isn't true and if it is I hope it's not because so many people were being vicious about their dislike of One More Light. I didn't like the album much either, but people were being absolutely cruel to the band over it.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #512 on: July 20, 2017, 12:28:13 PM »
Saw a link on Facebook on a friend's post - it might be a fake.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #513 on: July 20, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »
Saw a link on Facebook on a friend's post - it might be a fake.

I sure hope so... Unfortunately tmz has a very good trackrecord in breaking the news on these type of things I have heard (Prince, MJ, Paul Walker etc.).

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #514 on: July 20, 2017, 12:38:10 PM »
What the fuck
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: July 20, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »
Dude had a wife and 6 kids... feel terrible for them.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #516 on: July 20, 2017, 12:43:03 PM »
Can rock stars please stop fucking offing themselves?

Mmmkay?

Christ. Condolences to the Bennington family. Just awful
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #517 on: July 20, 2017, 12:44:23 PM »
If its fake, that's messed up on TMZ's end.

It says he struggled with addiction and was close friends with Cornell (today is his birthday). He must've had a lot in his mind, plus people bashing their new stuff doesn't help at all.

I doubt anyone expected this.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #518 on: July 20, 2017, 12:44:32 PM »
Wow...

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #519 on: July 20, 2017, 12:49:39 PM »
It's reported on the BBC's website, too.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #520 on: July 20, 2017, 12:51:30 PM »
Yeah, other sources have come up. An LA coroner verified it to the ascociated press it seems... https://twitter.com/AP/status/888106873659969536

:(

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #521 on: July 20, 2017, 12:52:50 PM »

Mmmkay?

Ditto.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #522 on: July 20, 2017, 12:53:32 PM »
Jesus fucking Christ.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #523 on: July 20, 2017, 12:55:54 PM »
Just... I have no words... literally... and I don't believe that happened yet...
 :'(

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #524 on: July 20, 2017, 01:04:51 PM »

Mmmkay?

Part of me is angry at these situations for the reason that they leave so many people behind, but I don't think people who commit suicide can still think clearly. Chester was abused as a child, had drug problems, has had several friends in his youth that commited suicide/died, and recently his good friend Chris Cornell also commited suicide (who's birthday was today). I think it is tragic his life went this route, but especially for child abuse victims suicide is not uncommon, so who am I to judge them.