Author Topic: Linkin Park  (Read 49606 times)

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
Re: Linkin Park
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2010, 07:09:31 AM »
Hybrid Theory is a masterpiece, Meteora is good stuff, then it all failed with Midnight.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2010, 07:15:23 AM »
Which is ironic because according to them, they did those first two albums so that they could get to the point where they could write this shit.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2010, 07:22:32 AM »
Well we'll see in the next album.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline ehra

« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2010, 07:26:55 AM »
MtM was about half good and half bad. I'm really hoping this single is part of the next album's bad.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2010, 09:17:26 AM »
I think it could be a decent song if it wasn't for THOSE FUCKING DISCO ELECTRONIC SOUNDS AND CHILDISH BEATS. Really,  :facepalm:.

I hope this is one of the worst songs of the album, does anyone know if they already released the tracklist?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2010, 09:27:32 AM »
I hope this is one of the worst songs of the album, does anyone know if they already released the tracklist?
Yes they have.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2010, 10:17:57 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTtOVa1DZJ8
Listening to this makes me want to kill babies.

Wtf happened to them? Hybrid Theory was pure awesome.

They sold out? *shrugs*
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2010, 01:44:44 PM »
I hope this is one of the worst songs of the album

I hope it's one of the best track so I can lol.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2010, 02:24:49 PM »
I hope this is one of the worst songs of the album

I hope it's one of the best track so I can lol.
Wait, that sounds like a better idea. Let this one be the best track. For teh lulz.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2010, 02:42:02 PM »
Ew, no thanks
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2010, 02:43:36 PM »
Some of us actually want LP to write a good album. Although indications so far are disappointing.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2010, 04:46:56 PM »
Some of us actually want LP to write a good album. Although indications so far are disappointing.

Yeah, I wouldn't count on it.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2010, 05:38:57 PM »
I don't know why almost everybody hates Minutes To Midnight here I think it may be my favorite album from them because at least there is some variety and I can recall some nice specific moments for every song from that album when I just look through the tracklist and No More Sorrow is amazing... I listen to it maybe two times a year but it's always enjoyable, first two albums are also good but the songs on those albums sound simillar and there are very few where I can recall something speciffic for them when I see their title... LP is far from being amazing band in my list but they are good for casual listen...

So I can't think of any other good reason why to hate MTM that much as everybody here does than it's such a cool thing to hate

And BTW "The Catalyst"... I don't know I don't have anything against it but I also haven't found one single second that would be at least a bit interesting or enjoyable it's completely empty

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2010, 07:21:18 PM »

And BTW "The Catalyst"... I don't know I don't have anything against it but I also haven't found one single second that would be at least a bit interesting or enjoyable it's completely empty

Those are my feelings as well. I'm pretty open minded about music, but I have one rule: Music shouldn't be boring. This song brings 'boring' to a whole new level.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2010, 09:33:01 PM »
1) A THOUSAND SUNS

Whenever we finish an album, it's usually coupled with a block of text meant to describe it. The record company pays a “reputable” writer to craft their most exciting description of the music, in the hopes that it will help convince you to like it. But it seems to us that words usually don't do a great job of defining the sound of an album, so we thought we’d try something different and just tell you, directly from us, what was on our minds as we set out to make our new album, A Thousand Suns. We’ll leave the rest up to you.

Before you hear the music, we wanted you to know that this album was put together to be enjoyed as that: an album. We’re aware that many people are accustomed to small, single-song servings. In spite of that (or maybe because of it), we mean for this album to take you on a journey. If you decide to listen to the album in pieces, that’s fine; we just wanted to let you know there’s a part of the experience that only works when you listen to A Thousand Suns from beginning to end.

Listening to some of our favorite albums, it’s easy to forget that there was a moment in time, before their release, when they were just a crazy idea to an artist. We tried to keep that moment in mind as we were making this record. It provided us with the inspiration to take chances and not worry if at first something we tried was different or weird.

If you are already familiar with our band, you may notice a difference in the sound of this one. Part of it is because we love to try new things, and part of it is because there has been a sound that we've been waiting for in modern alternative music. We worked with Rick Rubin again on this record (he co-produced our last record) because he understood our vision of trying to capture this new sound.

We hope you enjoy the music and will come talk to us at www.linkinpark.com.

Brad, Chester, Dave, Joe, Mike, and Rob

PS: The people who work hard to promote our band wanted us to add a bunch of stats right here that are meant to impress you. We didn’t like that idea but, as a compromise, we agreed that we’d provide this link in case you want any of this information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkin_Park. We said that we’re pretty sure you’ve heard of Wikipedia but they didn’t believe us.

2) A THOUSAND SUNS

We were not making an album.

For months, we'd been destroying and rebuilding our band. The experiments that resulted filled the studio hard drive with diverse, abstract sounds. Amorphous echoes, cacophonous samples, and handmade staccato merged into wandering, elusive melody. Each track felt like a hallucination.

We didn't know if any of those unorthodox ideas could be incorporated into a traditional album, but we knew we didn't want our next album to be predictable. Sitting together in the same studio where we made our first album, all six of us voiced a commitment to going out on a limb, to making something truly daring. We asked ourselves: were we all earnestly willing, more than ever before, to abandon the precepts of commercial ambition in pursuit of what we believe to be honest art?

The inclination to begin writing conventional songs for a conventional album came and went. The temptation to adjust our creative vision to fulfill expectations beyond our studio walls yielded to the audacious ambition of what he hoped to achieve as a band. The two years of making A Thousand Suns marked our exhilarating, surrealistic, and often challenging journey into the creative unknown. (SD note: This paragraph made me lol because I distinctly remember watching a YouTube video in which LP was tweaking a song, and the phrases that were coming up repeatedly were, "Rubin wants this," or "Rubin wants that.")

On the eve of its completion, this body of work, assembled through unconscious inspiration and unmitigated exertion, has revealed to us notions both stirring and surprising. The album's personified imagery is neither dogma nor political premeditation. The emergent themes and metaphors illuminate a uniquely human story.

A Thousand Suns grapples with the personal cycle of pride, destruction, and regret. In life, like in dreams, this sequence is not always linear. And, sometimes, true remorse penetrates the devastating cycle. The hope, of course, springs from the notion that the possibility of change is born in our most harrowing moments.

Enjoy the music.

Linkin Park

Offline Volk9

« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2010, 10:10:45 PM »
Blah blah blah.

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2010, 10:11:49 PM »
Yeah, sounds like a lot of talk for what will probably be pretty similar to their last album.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2010, 10:21:30 PM »
I would like to believe they're not bullshitting, but they get Rick fucking Rubin and then release the shitfest that is The Catalyst. :facepalm: I don't know, the first song released from an album usually suck. I'll give the new album an open minded listen just in case they actually do want to try something new.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2010, 10:23:55 PM »
Linkin Park...srs business?

Offline TL

« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2010, 11:43:44 PM »
I recently found out that their first two albums sold 24 and 16 million copies worldwide. That seems weird to me. I liked those albums quite a bit when I was younger, but I really didn't think they had done that well.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2010, 07:56:19 PM »
So, Linkin Park's getting all Incident-y on our asses  :rollin.

Offline mainframe004

« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2010, 11:12:58 PM »
Minutes to Midnight is just junk. I can't believe they even tried exploring other musical styles. It just doesn't work for them.

Hybrid Theory is a masterpiece, though. I only count one song that really doesn't stand out on the album, and that is With You. Points of Authority reaches best song.

Made this myself. Darth Nihilus ftw.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2010, 11:19:10 PM »
I think this song is pretty good. I only have Meteora by them, but I really liked that album.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2010, 05:30:41 AM »
Meteora was an amazing album.  But this new single is a farcry to their previous work.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2010, 01:19:49 PM »
Small Bump.

So, listening to "A Thousand Suns" for the first time now, and my reaction was pretty much:  :omg:
If someone had showed me this 7 years ago when i was heavily into Meteora+Hybrid Theory, i wouldn't have thought at all that it was LP.
I don't really like the new style, but i do appreciate them for moving on and doing what they want. :P

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2010, 02:45:38 PM »
But the style isn't really your thing.. OK. How about songs? Are there any actual good tunes on it?

From your description it sounds like commercial suicide for LP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2010, 02:48:58 PM »
Listened to the album one time, and the only song that stood out for me was "Blackout".
Not exceptional by PT-standards, but a cool song.
Apart from it, the album overall isn't really heavy, it actually makes Minutes to Midnight come off as a heavy-album in comparison.  :biggrin:
But it will probably grow a bit if i listen some more times, but my first reaction was that there isn't really a lot of guitars on it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »
I'll say this much: I hated Minutes to Midnight when it came out and for a couple years following, but now it's begun to grow on me.  I've heard a couple of songs from the new album plus the Catalyst, and the latter song aside, it has promise.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2010, 04:40:40 PM »
Wretches & Kings sounds pretty cool, just listened to it.

I'm not the biggest LP fan, but I really liked the rap-metal style on the first two albums when I was, practically, a little kid. Nowadays I regained some appreciation for it, some of their old stuff just rocks.

Didn't like MTM that much, but this new album sounds a hell of a lot more interesting than MTM.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:24:54 PM by PixelDream »

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2010, 07:38:18 PM »
Wretches and Kings sounds so Reanimation-ish it's ridiculous. Will listen to the album just for the sake of pleasing (Or displeasing) the inner 13-year old me.

EDIT: Listening to the album IRT
[SPOILER ALERT]:
First two tracks were somewhat WTF, but they were cool.

2EDIT:
Burning in the Skies: Oh look, it's What I've Done Part III.

3EDIT:
When they come for me: Linkin Park does Rattamahatta w/Rap and without Growls or distorted guitars.

4EDIT:
Robot Boy: Linkin Park does Backstreet Boys.
Jornada Del Muerto: Linkin Park hace voces entrecortadas por más o menos un minuto y medio con un fondo electrónico que casi parece de disco. Meh.
Waiting for (In) the End: Linkin Park delivers a little late their submission for the South Africa 2010 World Cup Anthem Contest.
But seriously, it's a good song. Poppy, but good. Probably an upcoming single.

5EDIT:
Blackout: This is the time that I realize it took Linkin Park 9 tracks to get Chester screaming. This song is weird. Mike sings and Chester raps in some parts of the song. There are too much keyboards for me and it sucks a lot in the beginning. Another probable single.
Wretches and Kings: Reanimation. That is all.

6EDIT:
Wisdom, Justice and Love: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US. Also seems that they liked the Transformers voices.
Iridescent: Oh look, it's Leave out all the Rest Part II.
Fallout: OK CAN YOU STOP THE ELECTRIC VOICES YOU DAFT PUNK WANNABES THEY ARE GETTING FUCKING ANNOYING
The Catalyst: This seems to be the main song of the whole concept album, the song that the whole album directs to, the main theme. And it sucks. I still think it would be good if it wasn't for all that electronic fodder and if it had more rockish tunes and SOME REAL DRUMS. By the way I think this album is about some guys starting a revolution, the leader has a depression, he gets better, and starts a mutiny. He gets killed in it or something but they win.
The Messenger: Linkin Park does a ballad that sounds like Theory of a Deadman or something. I know this would eventually happen. To be honest it doesn't sound bad, but please. I mean, please. You made a whole album with innovative stuff and end it with... This?

Well that's pretty much it. It was almost exactly what I expected it to be. Don't hate it, don't like it that much. It exists, and by the end of the Messenger I realize I just don't give a fuck. Innovative, sure, but... Well... Meh. Meh it's the exact expression of how I feel about this album.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 08:46:57 PM by LCArenas »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2010, 12:41:01 AM »
I recently found out that their first two albums sold 24 and 16 million copies worldwide. That seems weird to me. I liked those albums quite a bit when I was younger, but I really didn't think they had done that well.
Hybrid Theory is the second best selling album of the past decade, it's also a masterpiece.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bmc

« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2010, 01:52:31 AM »
I actually like this album, i do dig the electronic vibe, definitely a better album than MtM was.
Quote from: SinisterMinisterX
Both "feel" longer than they are (in a good way).

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2010, 09:48:03 AM »
Definately appreciate the production work. It's not as addictive as early LP, but this album definately doesn't suck. Minutes to Midnight, that sucked.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2010, 01:29:07 PM »
Wow, it really is meh.  Granted I've only listened to it once of course, and I'm not saying it's bad.  It's just meh, as LCA said.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2010, 04:00:58 PM »
I still havent gotten a chance to listen to it...