Author Topic: Deftones  (Read 30819 times)

Offline NotePad

Re: Deftones
« Reply #210 on: April 17, 2016, 10:57:23 AM »
Finally bought my copy of Gore and I'm very impressed. As I said earlier, their last album felt like there are too many layers piled on one another. It was very atmospheric but actually too consistently heavy for what I want in a Deftones record.

Gore has gone in the other direction. I'm surprised they're make such an ambient album. It's very daring and also pretty weird at times. I think they should have called it Acid Hologram.

I don't think we'll every get another White Pony, that was one of a kind and a product of their part cocaine use. I miss the hip sonic atmosphere of that album. But Gore is right up there with it.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #211 on: April 20, 2016, 10:10:08 AM »
Haven't stopped listening to Gore. I like it a lot more then their last two. My favorite 3 Deftones albums are White Pony, SNW, and now Gore.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #212 on: April 20, 2016, 10:17:30 AM »
It's not better than their last two for me, and overall I would put it among their weaker albums, but I still very much enjoy it. Another good release from the band.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #213 on: April 20, 2016, 10:18:57 AM »
Haven't stopped listening to Gore.

Ditto, easily my favorite thing in music to come out in 2016 so far. I don't like it as much as Diamond Eyes yet, but I can definitely see it surpassing DE in the future to become my #1 Deftones album.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #214 on: April 20, 2016, 10:22:32 AM »
Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but is this band pronounced like "deaf-tones" or "deft-ones"

I honestly don't know but have always been curious.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: April 20, 2016, 10:25:59 AM »
I've always said deaf-tones

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: April 20, 2016, 10:54:12 AM »
Methinks that is the very heart of the band name. Say as you please!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #217 on: April 20, 2016, 11:06:14 AM »
I wish they would've spelled it Deaftones, then. I don't get why bands do this. I just looked it up on Wikipedia...

Carpenter said the name is intentionally vague to reflect the band's tendency to not focus on just one style of music

Imagine if the band Death went by Deth, because death is a mysterious thing and hard for the mind to rationalize  ::)
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #218 on: April 20, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »
I don't mind the different spelling. I think Deftones looks cleaner and better than Deaftones would have looked, and IMO it's never a bad thing when they simplify it or stay very close. I think something like CHVRCHES spelling their name with a V when it's pronounced U is more of a silly spelling choice in that case, even though I understand they didn't want their fans to find 3000 results of churches when they googled the band name.

I think there is a different because Deftones is something you pronounce the same way as Deaftones whereas Death / Deth would be a difference.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #219 on: April 20, 2016, 11:50:44 AM »
I'm no expert but I think Deftones/Deaftones is the same pronounciation differential (if it's any different at all) as Death/Deth.

That said, Deftones doesn't look weird at all to me, maybe because I've been seeing that name around for over 10 years it's different, I don't know, but I never expected someone to think it is pronounced as deft-ones. And this, by the way, is coming from the guy who didn't know how to pronounce "Leprous" :biggrin:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #220 on: April 20, 2016, 11:51:56 AM »
I didn't know how Anathema was pronounced for like 8 years.

Offline krands85

« Reply #221 on: April 20, 2016, 03:40:07 PM »
I didn't know how Anathema was pronounced for like 8 years.
It wasn't until I saw them live and Danny said 'We're Anathema' or something that I realised  :lol I still can't get to grips with Haken being pronounced like bacon either.

'Deft ones' isn't something I ever considered though.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #222 on: April 20, 2016, 04:02:19 PM »
I've always wondered about the band name, and now with Gore coming out I was pondering again. I'm not a native speaker but I think it's 'def', as in the slang word to describe something that's cool or dope, and tones. Cool tones..

As for the album, I'm still warming up to it. I love Deftones, White Pony is one of my all time faves, as is Saturday Night Wrist (severely underrated record). I thought Koi No Yokan was incredibly solid and catchy. The band sounded alive on that one.

Gore on the other hand sounds perhaps more interesting, but it's so weird melodically. It's definitely one of their most out-there records, and for a band like Deftones, that's saying something. In any case, you just have to give them credit for being so adventurous this late in their career. The new record is good, it's challenging and seems like it's there for the long run, instead of instant gratification. Or maybe I just want to like it, I don't know. I can't decide yet.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #223 on: April 20, 2016, 04:11:08 PM »
I agree on Saturday Night Wrist being severely underrated. Probably my second favorite after White Pony tbh.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: April 20, 2016, 05:49:33 PM »
I think something like CHVRCHES spelling their name with a V when it's pronounced U is more of a silly spelling choice in that case, even though I understand they didn't want their fans to find 3000 results of churches when they googled the band name.

Valid point for sure, but using V for U is a specific call to Latin, where V is treated like a U in all cases – Marilyn Manson did the same in some of the liner art where his album would be spelled Antichrist Svperstar.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #225 on: April 29, 2016, 10:50:03 AM »
I've always preferred the more experimental, spaced-out Deftones, like White Pony. That's why I love Gore so much. It's nothing like White Pony, but it is it's own thing and amazing for it. I enjoyed DE and KNY, but they were too samey if you know what I mean.

I hope their next album, if there is one, is a combination of DE and Gore. Because if you combine the styles of those albums you'd get something similar to a White Pony, one of my all-time favorite records.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #226 on: April 22, 2017, 04:06:37 PM »
My favorite Deftones album is Around the fur and my favorite song by them is Be quiet and drive (far away)

Been listening to them a lot lately

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #227 on: April 22, 2017, 04:08:53 PM »
I've always found Be Quiet and Drive quite overrated. I mean it is a good song, but nowhere near their best IMO.

Gore is still really disappointing. I really only like P/T, Phantom Bride and Rubicon. The rest is boring or has downright annoying riffs. I dont know what happened, I loved both Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan.

Offline krands85

« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2017, 06:20:04 PM »
Gore is still really disappointing. I really only like P/T, Phantom Bride and Rubicon. The rest is boring or has downright annoying riffs. I dont know what happened, I loved both Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan.
Same here, I was really looking forward to Gore after how good the last 2 albums were (especially KNY). Phantom Bride is the only song I really enjoy from the album, sadly.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2017, 07:16:15 PM »
I wanted to like Gore, but its pretty bad. There are moments of brilliance, like phantom bride and parts of other songs, but overall its an unsatisfying mess. Which is a shame because I LOVE diamond eyes and thought KNY was really solid as well.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2017, 08:30:19 PM »
Wow. A year later and the run of Diamond Eyes up until Gore is still easily my favourite in their discography, I think Gore is fucking amazing.

That said, Xenon is a bad song, though I think almost all Deftones albums have at least one of those

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #231 on: April 22, 2017, 09:06:04 PM »
I missed the "epics" of Koi No Yokan on Gore. I love the subtle buildups and majestic choruses in Tempest and Rosemary.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #232 on: April 23, 2017, 02:24:16 AM »
Gore was a disappointment IMO. Not bad, but definitely not as good as the albums before it. I listened to it at least 10 times back when it came out and I struggle to remember a single song from it.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #233 on: April 26, 2017, 07:11:13 PM »
For me Gore was a lot more consistent than Koi No Yokan. Overall KNY was a big drop off from Diamond Eyes but it's still good. KNY has some great stuff but some really meh moments as well. Gore doesn't have the high epic moments that KNY does but I like it on the whole a bit better.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #234 on: April 26, 2017, 10:45:44 PM »
Appalled to realize Gore's over a year old now and I still haven't given it a good listen. I made it halfway through, and I quite like Prayers/Triangles and Hearts/Wires. The other songs weren't really standouts though.

I think with Koi No Yokan, I liked it when I heard it, I just can't remember anything from it. Nothing stayed with me like with other albums. But when I listen to it, I like what I hear. It's weird.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #235 on: April 27, 2017, 02:56:37 AM »
Gore was a bit of a disappointment sadly. Not bad, but not great enough where I want to go back and listen to it. But I'm not too worried, every band can have a dud and I'm still excited to see where they go next.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #236 on: December 07, 2017, 05:58:03 PM »
Well,

Gore has grown on me. I'm shocked too, because I really did not like it on initial release. Phantom bride is incredible and I really like Prayers/triangles. And Hearts/wires has the chilling opening which I really dig. Many of the other songs have grown me as well and I found myself listening to the album quite often.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:10:48 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Ruba

« Reply #237 on: December 09, 2017, 09:01:37 PM »
I need to give Gore another chance.

Hearts/Wires been playing in my head lately almost non-stop, and there's some great songs in there.

I start believe that Deftones can't make a bad album even if they wanted. They just keep dishing out 4/5 discs no matter what.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:06:41 PM by Ruba »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #238 on: December 10, 2017, 01:11:52 AM »
Gore, from what i can remember was a bit of a disappointment for me. I should spin it again, since i haven't done so in a long time.

It had some great moments, namely Hearts/Wires. But it was a far cry from Koi No Yokan, which immediately became my favorite Deftones album, and was my album of the year when it was released!

Offline krands85

« Reply #239 on: December 10, 2017, 04:54:05 AM »
Well,

Gore has grown on me. I'm shocked too, because I really did not like it on initial release. Phantom bride is incredible and I really like Prayers/triangles. And Hearts/wires has the chilling opening which I really dig. Many of the other songs have grown me as well and I found myself listening to the album quite often.
Wish it had grown on me as much. :( Phantom Bride is the only song on there that I feel is really good.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #240 on: December 10, 2017, 06:44:50 AM »
Be quiet and drive (far away) will always be my favorite Deftones song, but over time, Phantom Bride has become a close second. I really love that song and that Jerry Cantrell solo is awesome.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #241 on: December 10, 2017, 08:31:53 AM »
I had really high expectations for Gore after I heard Prayers/Triangles, but to be honest it's along with Phantom Bride the only thing I enjoy off the new album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #242 on: December 10, 2017, 10:31:11 AM »
I haven't revisited Gore since the release (though I will probably do it soon) but it did feel as a bit of a let down. Not even a bad album, I would still say it was a good album, but following a run of great albums it just didn't feel as strong.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #243 on: December 10, 2017, 05:52:37 PM »
Echoing the disappointment. It's just very "meh" to me. I don't dislike it, but I also don't like a whole lot of it. Which is almost worse than me actually disliking it in my eyes since this means that it's so bland (for the most part, there's some shining moments, but far too few to make up) that I'm just kind of in a state of numbness the whole time.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #244 on: December 10, 2017, 11:37:00 PM »
I think with Koi No Yokan, I liked it when I heard it, I just can't remember anything from it. Nothing stayed with me like with other albums. But when I listen to it, I like what I hear. It's weird.

So at this point, this is basically how I feel about Gore as well. Both are good albums, I just never remember anything after hearing them. Except for Prayers/Triangles (fantastic opener) and Phantom Bride. The latter's one of the best songs the band ever made, imo.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.